Start by marking “Better Than Weird” as Want to Read:
Better Than Weird
Preview

Better Than Weird

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In this stand-alone sequel to "The Mealworm Diaries," Aaron is anxiously waiting for his father to return for the first time since Aaron's mother's death eight years earlier. Aaron works hard with a counselor at school, but he still has problems getting along with and understanding other kids, and he's worried that his dad will think he's weird. As well as having to confro ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Orca Book Publishers

Undergrounders by David SkuyGhosts of the Titanic by Julie LawsonBetter Than Weird by Anna KerzGhost Messages by Jacqueline GuestThe McGillicuddy Book of Personal Records by Colleen Sydor
Silver Birch Nominations 2012
3rd out of 9 books — 9 voters
Murder for Choir by Joelle CharbonneauThe Testing by Joelle CharbonneauAgenda by Virginia AirdEnd Me a Tenor by Joelle CharbonneauAlif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson
E-Library [vol.5]
21st out of 101 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel Seigel
This stand alone sequel to "Mealworm Diaries" is actually deserving of a 3.5 and not a 3. I read the previous book and liked it, but I think that this is actually a stronger book. Aaron, a character from "Mealworm Diaries" is the feature of this story, and while it doesn't explicitly state it in the text, he has some kind of Autism Spectrum Disorder. He's extremely self-aware, and he knows that he comes off being weird, but despite his quirks, he's got a big heart and always means well, which ma ...more
Donna Parker
What is weird? The actual definitions range anywhere from suggesting something supernatural or uncanny to strange or unusual. So why is weird bad? That is the interesting part about bullying, it’s so subjective. The bully gets to decide when a person is weird or different and then gets to decide that’s it’s somehow bad or wrong then they get to harm that person. Wow, judge, jury and executioner. What power.

I read all kinds of books, to say my tastes are eclectic would be an understatement. Some
Alicia Singleton
This book focuses on a young boy named Aaron. He finds it difficult to fit in at school because his tendency to distance himself from the other students. Aaron’s father leaves him at a very young age and he keeps hoping that his father will soon come back so that they can do all the fun things that he has planned. Aaron works with a counselor to help him through his life and the events that he is experiencing. Aaron’s counselor encourages and motivates him to interact with others people that he ...more
Claire Froehlich
This is a good book for a family or even a 13year old. It showes how bullying effects and scared and what ot is like growing up with no parents just you and your garandma. But this kid is happy with what life the world has gaven him and he turned it into something humble. I just think the author could have do a better job on the ending, but i recomend this book BIG TIME!!!
Alyse Erickson
Kerz, A. (2011). Better than weird. Victoria, BC: Orca Book. Print.

Better than Weird is about a boy named Aaron is counting the days down until the arrival of his dad, who he had not seen since his mother past away of cancer eight years ago and was raised by his grandmother ever since. Besides small phone conversations, photographs and a few small memories, Aaron does not know his father at all. He is both excited and terrified by the upcoming reunion. He gets prepared by making a list, detailin
Elly
Not like other kids, Aaron is weird. He laughs like a hyena and he couldn't understand people's emotion. Now he is waiting for his father to come back, which he hasn't seen in 8 years...but he was afraid that his father would leave him forever. He was also beaten by a bully called Tufan, which he tried to stand up for himself. At the end, he wasn't that weird anymore, but "better than weird".

I picked up this book because when I read the summary at the back of this book, it talks about Aaron bein
Shymaa
This book was amazing!! I would rate this book 100/100. I really liked how the characters they looked so real. My favourite part is when Aaron gets bulled and this whole adventure starts. Aaron is like the weird guy but to my he is pretty normal.
Canadian Children's Book Centre
Aaron (a character we met in Anna Kerz’s first book, The Mealworm Diaries) is anxiously awaiting the arrival of his father whom he has not seen in eight years. Waiting is hard for Aaron — as is sitting still, staying on task and reading people’s moods. Karen, the school counsellor, is working with Aaron to teach him how to read people’s faces and act more appropriately. When Aaron and Tufan, the class bully, are assigned the task of introducing the school concert, Aaron is desperate to make his ...more
Deanna
Realistic fiction, disabilities, bullying, growing up, family

Aaron's mom passed away when he was young and his father couldn't take it any more. Left with his gran to take care of him, Aaron wonders if his father dissappeared because he is weird. Eight years later his father is returning.

Aaron is autistic (the book never tells us) and is bullied by a boy in his class. He has an amazing classroom teacher, but the music teacher is awful towards him. I wanted to punch her out!

Tufan, the bully, tel
Ruth Elliott
This book has been nominated for a Diamond Willow award in Saskatchewan. As a teacher-librarian, I read all of the Willow nominees (there are three age groups with thirty books in total). When I read this book, I thought it was O.K. However, I am presently reading it twice a week to a classroom of grade four and five students. They are loving it and so am I. Each chapter ends with some type of cliff hanger. There is lots of humour as well as some sadness. Students are coming to talk to me in the ...more
Jessica Gong
It was actually a little bit boring.
Maggie Huang
I LOVE THIS BOOK! This book is amazing. I would totally recommend this book to my friends.
Paula
More admirable than enjoyable. Kerz does such a masterful job of showing us the heart of a boy who is "different" (perhaps on the spectrum but never identified as such) that I wanted to give this book four stars for courage and clarity. But, alas, it needed to be more fun for that rating. Highly recommended to anyone who wants to understand better kids who seem always to be out of step with the world, especially kids who are aware of this and suffer for their insight.
Grlpwr00
So far i am rating this book 5/5. I can picture the characters.
In this book autistic character, Aaron is going through some tough times. Whether it is being bullied by tufan or getting told that jermey isn't his friend anymore.

while awiting his fathers arrival aaron breaks his arm and has to get a cast and wwhen he sees somebodys grandma from the class the class bully starts to soften up just a bit,but not much.
Annie Emmons
I really enjoyed this book. Aaron, the main character, is autistic. The book does a good job of displaying how individuals with autism have a hard time processing their own emotions, interpreting the emotions of others, and interpreting idiosyncratic phrases and abstract ideas. However, the book is "full of feels" for the reader.

Realistic fiction.
Tonya Hayes
Awesome

a very interesting book. I loved it and read it to the end. it was Awesome.it got all stars on the rates
Sandra
Diamond Willow Nominee 2012 - This book touched me. It was written in such a way that it way like climbing into the head of someone with ADHD and seeing the world from their perspective.
Cheryl Beshke
This book made me rethink the way I view some of my students. I think it is a must read for teachers. Students will love it just because it is a good story.
Edward Sullivan
Realistic, well-written story with some good humorous touches. I can see fans of Jack Gantos's Joey Pigza stories apprecitating this character.
This was average. Not really a gripping story, but might appeal to young teens.
Soph
i read this i class and i think this is a great book
Ellen
It wasnt that good......
Lyndsey
i thought it was buetiful
Blair
It was ok.
Nishtha
Nishtha is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
  • Undergrounders
  • Missing
  • Camo Girl
  • Maximilian & the Mystery of the Guardian Angel: A Bilingual Lucha Libre Thriller
  • Dancing Home
  • The Emerald Casket (Billionaire, #2)
  • Hidden
  • Red Wolf
  • The Grave Robber's Apprentice
  • Thunder Over Kandahar
  • And Nothing But the Truth (The Whole Truth, #2)
  • Ten Rules for Living with My Sister