Start by marking “O Amigo Americano (Ripley, #3)” as Want to Read:
O Amigo Americano (Ripley, #3)

O Amigo Americano (Ripley #3)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  3,911 Ratings  ·  220 Reviews
O terceiro romance da série é um dos mais matizados em termos psicológicos - particularmente memorável pelo seu humor negro -, tendo sido aclamado pela crítica pela sua capacidade de manipular as regras do género.
Published 2016 by Relógio D´Água (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about O Amigo Americano, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O Amigo Americano

Darwin8u
Dec 15, 2012 Darwin8u rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
“If blood can produce money through rituals or the so-called human sacrifice, then it is the basis on which we live, so it is very essential to save and protect it from the fiendish eyes of blood sucking predators.”
― Michael Bassey Johnson

description

While this is probably my favorite Highsmith/Ripley novel so far, it is also the most unsettling. She manages - by introducing a new counter-Narrator (Jonathan) - to make Ripley's amorality seem even more fragile and desolate. Jonathan's wife Simone also stand
Alex

- Nick Carraway from Great Gatsby
- David from Giovanni's Room
- Javert (thanks Wendy)
- Ripley

Patricia Highsmith insisted that Ripley wasn't gay, but he certainly was in Talented Mr. Ripley, and his interest in Bernard Tufts in Ripley Under Ground and Jonathan Trevanny in this book is difficult to explain otherwise. He's settling into a pattern where, in each book, he becomes obsessed with a different guy. (view spoiler)
Steve Anderson
Sep 17, 2014 Steve Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Few novels or writers make you want to read them even after you realize partway through the story that you've read the book before, years ago. Patricia Highsmith does it for me every time. It's all about Tom Ripley's twisted and yet oddly endearing point of view. Maybe it's because when, as the mafia are bearing down on him hard for gruesome deeds he himself set in motion, Tom relieves his stress by heading to Paris to pick out just the right antique harpsichord for his always loyal and charming ...more
Bob
Aug 17, 2008 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Tom Ripley is perhaps my favorite psychopath. Even though he is frighteningly amoral, I still find myself somehow rooting for him as he murders his “best friend”, engages in art forgery (and commits murder to cover it up), plays with the lives of others (and murders some of them of course) simply because he feels he was snubbed, indulges in a lot of sexually ambiguous behavior, and generally plays a game of cat-and-mouse with anyone who crosses his path.
Paul ataua
Jun 26, 2016 Paul ataua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Ripley’s Game’ refers to the plan that Tom Ripley concocts to get the most unlikely person to commit murder and so realize the perfect crime. As always with Highsmith, things don’t always go to plan and we are suddenly in the middle of an exciting thriller. Highsmith has an incredible talent for laying the characters before us and letting us, the readers, make judgements about their actions. A great Sunday afternoon read.
Melissa McShane
In this third book in the series, Tom Ripley, feeling insulted by a local Englishman, decides to play a prank on him--but since this is Tom Ripley, the prank goes too far, and Tom ends up entangled in the aftermath. About half the book is told from the point of view of the victim, Jonathan Trevenny, who has incurable leukemia and a wife and small child and is thoroughly likeable, so for a long time I was angry with Tom for mixing this guy up in trouble with the unlikeable and apparently (and unj ...more
Isaac Cooper
Feb 25, 2014 Isaac Cooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This … this is a return to form for the Ripley series. Coming out of a fairly weak sequel, the third book in this series – Ripley’s Game - is utterly outstanding. I don’t know whether my expectations were just a little bit low from Ripley Under Ground when compared to the first one, but this … Ripley’s Game reminds me how very much I love this character and how damn tense and enjoyable the first novel was.

Having just finished Ripley’s Game I feel my mind is everywhere, wanting to say everything
M.J. Johnson
Jan 28, 2015 M.J. Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Ripley’s Game (1974) we are once again transported back to the rural idyll of Belle Ombre, Ripley’s house in Villeperce, France. The game of the title refers to a rather nasty little rumour Ripley has spread about Jonathan Trevanny, who lives nearby and who Ripley feels has slighted him in some (unexplained) way. The story also involves another character from the previous book, Ripley Under Ground, Reeves Minot, who is a fence living in Hamburg who Ripley assists in various ways from time to ...more
Quinn da Matta
Aug 20, 2014 Quinn da Matta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strong recovery from the weak second book.

Once again, Patricia Highsmith - through Tom Ripley - continues to explore Europe; this time focussing mainly on France. She is deftly skilled at creating a word that slowly closes-in on her characters; it is thrilling and suffocating.

I also loved the dual protagonists in this book - the story unfolds through Tom and Jonathan. Both very different people leading very different lives, but connected through one man and one incident.
Thomas Strömquist
The third Ripley novel follows in style. Ripley's motivations and actions in this book develops the character and gives new insights to his mind. Just as hard to put down as the first two of the series.

Beautiful late 70's paperback edition with a very good translation by Mårten Edlund, who manages to keep the feel of narrative very well.
AC
Feb 07, 2015 AC rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
This is ok. 3-stars is harsh, so let's call it 3.667 or something. It lacks the originality of the first Ripley and, in the end, doesn't mean very much. Highsmith is a good writer, but these are not really superb or important books, imo.
Helen (Helena/Nell)
I may have read this novel once before. It was first published in 1974 when I would have been in my early twenties. I certainly read The Amazing Mr Ripley and of course I remembered him, as anyone would. That is to say anyone like me who grew up on the green-jacketed Penguin murder mysteries—Agatha Christie, Edmund Crispin, Ngaio Marsh, Josephine Tey, Dorothy Sayers, Marjory Allingham—and more.

Ripley was the first I can recall who was an anti-hero: not the detective but the killer. You were ins
Gláucia Renata
Publicado em 1974, é o terceiro livro da série, e a coisa só vai piorando. Não é desagradável de ler mas o nível de absurdos é tão alto que é impossível levar esse livro a sério. Isso já aconteceu no segundo e aqui a autora não conseguiu retomar a qualidade do primeiro. Nem as características psicológicas de Tom Ripley se mantém, parece se tratar de outro personagem.
A trama é totalmente sem pé nem cabeça, nada parece ter muita explicação e a gente vai tendo que engolir tudo ou abandonar a leitur
Alyssa
Honestly, the first Ripley book is the only one worth reading. All the originality and artistry is missing from both the second and third books, though the second was still entertaining. I just found this one rather dull.
Christian Scala
Tom Ripley si è perso. Si è spento. Ne danno triste annuncio i lettori attoniti. Non nel senso che sia morto come personaggio creato dalla Highsmith (questo è il terzo volume incentrato sulla sua figura, dei cinque scritti), è morto parte del suo fascino.

Il Ripley di questo libro è diventato all'improvviso piatto e quasi insignificante, quasi una comparsa di sfondo che agisce per benevolenza verso il prossimo. Lui, che era l'egocentrismo fatto personaggio. Lontanissimo, radicalmente all'opposto
Tony
Highsmith, Patricia. RIPLEY’S GAME. (1974). ***. This is the third in the author’s Ripley series. As is usual a with a Highsmith novel, you are dropped down into the middle of a plot and only manage to figure out what’s going on by treading water for fifty pages or so. Riply is offered $96,000 to kill two mafia men by a member of the casino owners in Marseilles. He turns down the offer, but recommends the possibility of another who could take his place. At a social gathering a few weeks earlier, ...more
David Anderson
Jul 21, 2014 David Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highsmith takes the Ripley series in a totally different direction with this one. Surprisingly enough, Ripley himself appears only occasionally throughout the first half of the novel, as much of the action focuses on leukemia sufferer, John Trevanny. Ripley's German acquaintance Reeves Minot needs help dealing with some Mafia types trying to horn-in on the illegal gambling market in Hamburg. Tom won't commit the murders himself but manages to maneuver terminal case Trevanny into being the hit ma ...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Oct 25, 2009 tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all crime fiction readers & psychologists
Shelves: literature, mysteries
It's almost inexcusable of me to give this a 5 star rating, thereby associating it w/ such truly great bks as "Finnegans Wake" or "Gargantua & Pantagruel".. but, there it is, I enjoyed it that much.. & my appreciation for Highsmith grows & grows.. I've read 2 other Ripley novels so far & they just get better & better. Once again, Highsmith spins a yarn of murder significantly different from the previous 2 Ripley tales. As always, it's labyrinthian. As Ripley's character ages, ...more
Carol
May 26, 2014 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star-rated
Patricia Highsmith usually writes from the point of view of Tom, and since all speech and action is conveyed through him, we see things from his point of view. In this novel, however, the action is disseminated through two points of view - Ripley's and that of his accomplice. The result is both interesting and unsettling. On the one hand, we really get a sense of what other people think of Tom Ripley, and how much of his criminal life is apparent to them. On the other hand, it's a strange change ...more
Ilana C. Myer
I fell a little bit in love with Ripley with this book. Which is utterly, utterly twisted and wrong.

I'm so delighted to have discovered Patricia Highsmith for comfort reading. Yes, dark and twisted is my comfort reading.
Lesley
It wasn't til saw the other books by this author that I realized this is actually 3rd in the series, so I need to read book two-Ripley under ground. I have read a few other books by this author and have really enjoyed this author's sinister thinking!

Ripley is a great psychopath! Satisfying read!
Molly Zeigler
Gotta love Ripley.
Moving right along through the series.
Feeling very comfortable in the slightly skewed world of Highsmith's sociopath....
Wonder what that means...
Lou Robinson
Sep 20, 2012 Lou Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 in the Ripley series and I am still absolutely loving the serial murderer. So evil, yet so likeable at the same time.
Erik Hanberg
Jul 30, 2015 Erik Hanberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always sinister, as you expect from a Ripley book.
gaby
Feb 21, 2012 gaby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery, noir
Another awesome Ripley installment. Highsmith is the master!
Paula
"The things that are suspenseful, that I find frightening, aren’t someone jumping out of a closet or those kind of big scares, but instead that slow build of dread, and [Highsmith] does that really well. She takes you by the hand and walks you toward the cliff."
Gillian Flynn, author of Gone Girl

Off-topic but this is the third fucking time that I "start" to write this review... yup... there had been a few difficulties as you see... *sighs* I've lost the line of thought but I think the idea it's
Wendy Lawson
I should have read the other Ripley Books first!
Justin
Jan 06, 2017 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A masterpiece.
Cami
Jan 12, 2017 Cami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ay, ese maldito y suertudo Tom Ripley.
Andrew
Very exciting, and not nearly as much of a continuation of Ripley Underground as I had expected. Wraps up fairly neatly, and still prefer Ripley the established gentleman to Ripley the social striver of Talented Mr. Ripley.
Did Ripley's wife know about his double life? 6 31 Dec 22, 2012 04:05PM
  • A Dangerous Woman
  • Tropic Moon
  • Cassidy's Girl
  • No Night is Too Long
  • The Real Cool Killers (Harlem Cycle, #2)
  • Pick-Up
  • The Fabulous Clipjoint
  • カードキャプターさくらイラスト集 [Cardcaptor Sakura Irasutoshū]
Patricia Highsmith was an American novelist who is known mainly for her psychological crime thrillers which have led to more than two dozen film adaptations over the years.

She lived with her grandmother, mother and later step-father (her mother divorced her natural father six months before 'Patsy' was born and married Stanley Highsmith) in Fort Worth before moving with her parents to New York in
More about Patricia Highsmith...

Ripley (5 books)
  • The Talented Mr. Ripley (Ripley, #1)
  • Ripley Under Ground (Ripley, #2)
  • The Boy Who Followed Ripley (Ripley, #4)
  • Ripley Under Water (Ripley, #5)