Start by marking “The Manipulative Man: Identify His Behavior, Counter the Abuse, Regain Control” as Want to Read:
The Manipulative Man: Identify His Behavior, Counter the Abuse, Regain Control

The Manipulative Man: Identify His Behavior, Counter the Abuse, Regain Control

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Psychotherapist McCoy shows readers how to identify the type of manipulative man they're involved with, deal with the issues his behavior provokes, and ultimately, salvage the relationship--or move on.
Paperback
Published May 8th 2006 by Adams Media Corporation (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Manipulative Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manipulative Man

Jacqueline Gum
“The Manipulative Man” could be used as a primer for younger women who haven’t already recognized unscrupulous behavior. For women like me, who married manipulative men with disastrous results, it was both enlightening as well as a reminder of the red flags I should have seen. For me, the last section on why women choose such men was eye-opening. And for women everywhere who assume that “that’s just the way men are,” there is hope in this book by showing us ways to both recognize and avoid such ...more
Claudia Moscovici
Manipulative individuals say and do things to control and undermine others. In its extreme form, manipulation is a form of emotional abuse. The Manipulative Man by Dorothy McCoy, EdD, is essential reading for everyone who wishes to work on problematic relationships with flawed, manipulative individuals who are not full-fledged personality disordered. All human beings are flawed yet most of us still manage to have close relationships with our family members and romantic partners. Many have tenden ...more
Katie Lynn
If anyone is worried about me and hubby due to my current choice in books... don't be. :)

"...looking for and noting one's positives on a daily basis did 'increase positive emotions, did increase resilience, and let to lower levels of depression, compared to a group of students who did not note the positive meaning they found in their experiences."

Factors that promote resilience, positive adaptation, and good health:
emotion regulation
emotional disclosure
gratitude
meaning and purpose
mindfulness med
Dorothy
From Publishers Weekly
Did he promise you the stars and play you like a musical instrument?" Then you know the manipulative man. Psychotherapist McCoy presents a chilling exposé of 10 types of manipulators ("Mama's Boys," "Eternal Jocks," etc.) who prey on women's neediness and gullibility. This is not a feel-good book, yet it's compellingly readable. McCoy (The Ultimate Book of Personality Tests) is a police consultant, and her work may be what creates the grim undertone. She uses case studies f
Emma Daley
Very informative book. Her chapter on building emotional resilience for recovery is fantastic, with good advice for avoiding poor relationships in the future.
Sharon A.
Holy moly, so far this book is a smoker. Excellent. More when I finish reading.
Sherry Gripman
This book was very helpful in identifying the traits that manipulative men have and how to deal with them. Manipulation is all about goals and understanding that sometimes the goals of one person can hurt the goals of another can help to disarm the mind games. That and the specific tools Dr. McCoy hands out in this book. If you have a tendency to get burned over and over by relationships, check this one out!
Heather
I bought this book in hopes of having a better understanding of how to help friends who are in relationships with manipulative men. It is to the point and practical. Does not go into a lot of theory, but that is not its stated purpose. Good book overall and has the potential to be helpful to women in abusive relationships if they are mentally ready to go there.
Carol Bridgestock
Dr Dorothy's take in 'The Manipulative Man' is a compelling read. The tests are simple but effective the techniques she users an eye opener to the lay man or woman and the tools she gives to improve relationships are enlightening! Well done Dr D! Long may the books be available and you be in practice to help where help is so desperately needed.
Nicole Festa
A realistic series of examples of behavior which embody and portray many of the men that cross our path. Knowledgeable with classifying the different types of man.
Dottie Laster
Jun 29, 2013 Dottie Laster is currently reading it
Very helpful-I wish the trafficked victims could have read this book first.
Beks
...so far. God I'm over this topic.
Alyssa Stevens
Alyssa Stevens is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2015
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Charlotte Hukvari
Charlotte Hukvari marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Penny
Penny is currently reading it
Mar 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sexy Psychopaths 1 2 Oct 13, 2011 10:12AM
Your Ultimate Personality Quiz: 500 Fun and Fascinating Questions-All about You! The Ultimate Book of Personality Tests: 50 Tests for Enjoyment, Entertainment and Self-Discovery Personality Quizzes (Brain Games) Ultimate Book of Personality Tests: Everything You Need to Fulfill Your Destiny! From Shyness to Social Butterfly