Mark Twain on Travel

Mark Twain on Travel

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, known to most as Mark Twain, was a quintessential American writer who spent much of his life traveling the world. He encountered colorful characters, cultures, and a variety of adventures along the way, and Mark Twain on Travel is a timeless collection of his writings on the subject. Excerpts included are from classics such as: The Innocents Abroa...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Lyons Press

To ask other readers questions about Mark Twain on Travel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mark Twain on Travel

Emma
This book has snippets of Mark Twain's works on "travel", and so while I enjoyed the individual stories, I yearned for them in their entirety and in their context. I would say this book frustrates in that you wish you had not begun it and had just started reading Mark Twain himself. I gave it 2 stars because it has piqued my interest in Twain, and I shall endeavor to read all his books on his travels.
Jill
Interesting book - excerpts from the places Twain traveled when he was earning a living as a travel writer, and then a bit of other stuff. You really do get a feel for the places, and he writes with great dry humor with some sarcasm thrown in. Makes me wish I had been able to sit around and listen to him talk.
Mary
i love mark twain - most of the time. some parts of his books bog down. therefore, this book is great cuz it is a collection of stories from his travel books. you get the good parts without the slow parts. you just gotta take everything with a grain of salt :)
Alix
Interesting compilation of travel anecdotes not particularly captivating in its entirety but I love Twain's pen style and the almost orientalist depiction of foreign lands. A good read for travel lovers and wanderlust folk.
Blake
Mark Twain is a very funny man and this was a very enjoyable look at his extensive travels and it follows a nice path around many parts of the world, giving a great pre-automobile look at travel.
everyone must read this book! it's amazing how traveling hasnt really changed, even with all the advances of the last 100 years. :)
Christopher
Some of the stories are more interesting than others, but the writing is fun, unique and clever.
Steve
Steve added it
Aug 11, 2014
Ninh
Ninh marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Ariel A
Ariel A marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Emilie
Emilie marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Carla
Carla is currently reading it
Dec 28, 2013
Liz Gengl
Liz Gengl marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Lilo
Lilo marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
Kimberly Haley-coleman
Kimberly Haley-coleman marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2013
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
May 24, 2012
Nola
Nola marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2012
The Wrath of Cochise: The Bascom Affair and the Origins of the Apache Wars The Hemingway Patrols: Ernest Hemingway and His Hunt for U-Boats Zane Grey on Fishing The Reasonable Art of Fly Fishing Jack London on Adventure