Start by marking “The Homing” as Want to Read:
The Homing

The Homing

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  3,308 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
From the bestselling author of "Guardian," "Creature," and "Black Lightning," a spine-tingling tale of all-consuming evil as riveting and chilling as any he has ever produced.

It will be a sweet homecoming for Karen Spellman. After years of living in Los Angeles, the pretty, young widow and her two daughters are returning to the lush countryside of Pleasant Valley, where Ka
Published December 15th 2010 by Fawcett (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Homing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Homing

Heather
It was okay. I felt like it left a lot of questions unanswered, though. For example: What happened to the infected coyote? Why did Julie get all distended and disgusting? Was it just because she was the queen, and all queens of insects are bigger than the others? Why was she the queen? Was it b/c she was infected first? Why were the infected chicks always naked, but the dudes weren't? If the other girl (Sarah?) would've gotten to the group, would've she been another queen, or something else b/c ...more
Melissa
Jul 31, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: john-saul
I read this when I was younger well a few chapters of it. I ended up getting scared I threw it across the room vowing to never read it again a vow I have kept. Then I started having nightmares about turning into a bee and being one of the only horror books to scare me so bad it earns the five stars. Though now at my age I doubt it will be as good or frightening but why ruin it?
Xlfoamcowboyhat
Oct 05, 2015 Xlfoamcowboyhat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted desperately to scream, "Oh, God! This book sucks! This book really, really sucks!" but the only words I could find were, "It's fine. It's totally fine." And then I finished it. As I closed in on 10 pages I thought to myself, "How the hell is John Saul going to end this story with 10 pages. He did. Which was a giant relief. I then closed the book on the metro, heading into DC, looked over at the guy sitting next to me and punched him in the face from frustration.

Okay, I didn't do that la
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
This book is very special to me because John Saul was my first experience with a horror novel. The Homing is one of the first John Saul books I read, which I found when the bookmobile would visit my town once a month. I would stay up late reading these books and then be so scared that it was hard to sleep. I have had fond memories of this novel over the years and I'm happy to be able to re-read it. I remembered many of the scenes and I had a lot of fun.

The most annoying thing to me in the writin
Bettie☯
A change of genre is always ::A:Good:Thing::

If bugs bug you then this read is not for you!

I have a few other Saul's in my goodie bag, however he does seem to teeter on the high 2, low 3 mark for me.

#51 TBR Busting 2013

3* Perfect Nightmare
2* The Homing
3* Sleepwalk
Marie Bjork
Nov 16, 2014 Marie Bjork rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is hard to put down
Jakob
Oct 05, 2014 Jakob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The purpose of The Homing is to entertain. This is evident in telling of a fictional story. John Saul presents all the classical components, including setting, plot, and conflict. This book was written as a narration. It is told from a third person omniscient perspective. The theme is not to let personal trauma turn towards others. If the antagonist had sought a way to properly handle their emotional issues and impulses, the biggest conflict in this story would be a love triangle.

I appreciate th
Sonya
Nov 13, 2015 Sonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed John Saul's book, The Homing. It was a fast pace thriller that could really happen in today's world, if it hasn't happened already. Scientist are always trying to re-create God's creatures, thinking they can do better. I bet it usually ends up in disaster for the world. That's the scary part.

Once again, I don't want to give away any part of the book. The blurb on the back about the book is good. John Saul is a good writer and this book is no exception. He makes you think of all
Mikesawin Sawin
Well. This is a book with a lot of writing in it. I've had a lot of folks recommend John Saul's stuff to me over the years, so when I saw this at a garage sale for 50 cents, I picked it up.

Not a great book. And it's not for the squeamish. I will say that the writing style is very fluid, and I was able to finish this in an afternoon. I didn't really care for the characters that much, and I wasn't invested in the story, either.

But the author keeps things moving, and the result is what I call a "
Sam
May 22, 2011 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a chilling read that puts genetic modification at the heart of a horror story set in the idyllic Californian countryside that takes the humble bee and turns it into a killing machine. Add to this a good dash of good old fashioned power and corruption and you have a fast paced horror that keeps you engrossed from start to finish.
Kyle Morris
Feb 02, 2008 Kyle Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scary.. and imaginative!! This is the one that I liked most of Saul's.

Love all of John Saul's books. He focuses on teenagers, at least all the books of his that I've read were that way. I empathized with his lead characters because I always feel like an outsider, which his characters always wind up being. Saul mixes it all up with some Sci-fi to boot.
Leah Polcar
This is more a 2.5 -- it isn't that the book is poorly written or badly plotted -- I found myself finishing it even when I discovered the subject was not interesting to me in the least, but I feel sort of mislead by the description (as it appears on the book) and I found the premise rather stupid.
Deana M
Nov 17, 2012 Deana M rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you do not like bugs or the thought of swarms of bugs, do not read this book. The only reason I finished this book, is because once I am committed to something I see it through. This book was disturbing on so many levels.
Cataline
Jun 03, 2009 Cataline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the plotting of the book, the immense detail and characters. I must say however that I was extremely disappointed in the ending, but hey that's just me others may find it the only solution writable.
Tracy
May 02, 2011 Tracy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this book a 3 1/2.The beginning is slow but it picks up in the middle. Easy, quick read.
Hatchetgabby
Dec 21, 2011 Hatchetgabby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Very good,fast paced,the more i read the more nerve racking it got.I'm a huge bug lover and even i wanted to scream GAH! KILL IT! KILL IT!
Katrin
Mar 10, 2014 Katrin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very creepy! Made me shiver.
Nate Perrin
This is one of the few novels where I said, "Nope," and then I walked away from it for about thirty minutes and then came back to it. That happened twice. Some of the scenes were *that* disgusting. Before reading this, you should know that it is body horror. I had no idea that this was something that could disturb me, but hey - there's a first time for everything.
That being said, it's a decent story. The climax is suspenseful. The characters are engaging. Overall, I don't regret reading it but
Rissy
Aug 12, 2013 Rissy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: john-saul
Krysten
I picked up my first John Saul book when I was probably thirteen or fourteen...okay, so I stole it from my doctor's office. That was 'Suffer The Children' and the cover and side jacket summary looked so interesting that I couldn't help myself. I became a big fan of his work because, up until that time, besides Stephen King, I hadn't read anything very dark or disturbing. (Now I look back and laugh, because ten or so years have passed since then, and I've read some MESSED UP stuff.)
Anyway, I l
Gary Martin
Aug 29, 2015 Gary Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Karen Spellman, a young widow, along with her two daughters, move out of Los Angeles to the town where she grew up. She is there to marry her high school sweetheart whom she was reunited with at a high school reunion.

After the wedding Karen and her daughters move into her husband’s big farmhouse. For a while all seems ideal. Then her oldest daughter, Julie, is stung by a bee and has an allergic reaction. At the local clinic she is treated for the sting, but she continues to get worse. As a las
Tami Faulhaber-Talbot
Trite. Not Saul's best work...
Chris Sutton
Jan 24, 2016 Chris Sutton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. This was cornball stuff. It had its creepy moments, particularly if insects give you the willies, but there was just too much about this book that was subpar, so one star is all I can muster.
Having just read John Wyndham's Day of the Triffids, I was underwhelmed by Saul's writing. Yes, his words moved the plot along, but there were no sentences worth reading twice, no passages to really savour.
But what sank this book for me was Chapter 26. I actually felt like dropping the book in the str
Christoph Segers
Feb 16, 2014 Christoph Segers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Goede personageschets, maar een ietwat slordig plot waardoor het wat afgehaspeld overkomt naar het einde toe. Het stoort me dat er heel wat mensen het boek maar één ster geven omdat het 'griezelig' is, maar dat weet je op voorhand: Saul schrijft nu eenmaal, zoals Herbert, horrorboeken. En dat is het, niets meer, maar zeker ook niets minder. Goed binnen zijn genre, maar in tegenstelling tot het betere King-werk, ook enkel goed binnen dat genre. Perfect leesvoer als je de griep hebt in de zetel on ...more
Ashley
This was the first Saul book that I read and I thought that it was pretty creepy. The main thing that stuck with me after all these years was the girl unable to vaccumm so she swept the entire room as the bugs in her head couldn't handle the noise. (Note to others: This excuse doesn't go far with your mom in real life and actually gets your fussed at and told to stay out of your brother's books.)
Other than that "scene", there is not much that I recall about the novel except that I like it quite
Tammy
Jan 08, 2012 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This book was disappointing for a John Saul story. I'm really stretching it by giving it a three star. It took me so long to read it because it was so boring and didn't hold my interest that much. I don't like to start a book and then not finish it. If I did this would have been one of them. There were some good parts so it's not a total disaster but I was expecting more coming from John Saul. Maybe if I would have payed more attention in science class and understood more about insects the story ...more
Kelly
Dec 09, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I used to be a HUGE fan of John Saul back in middle and high school. So I am slightly disappointed to find that I'm not nearly as enthused by his writing today, as I go back and reread a few of my old faves. The Homing was just so-so. It was too long and repetitive for my taste, but not terrible. I still want to reread a few of Saul's others, just for old time's sake... especially The Unloved, as I remember it being dark and creepy and was my favorite book at the time!
Brandon Leatherman
John Saul has a formula, and he very seldom ever strays from that formula. I've read almost all of his books and the theme always follows the same pattern, except for two or three. I read Nathanial, and theme-wise it was almost the same book as The Homing. Somehow, despite the fairly predictable nature of the books, I always come away liking them. I didn't think I would like The Homing, but it caught my attention and pulled me in, even though it was kinda predictable. I also liked the fact that ...more
Kalay
I read this 3 years ago because my neighbor gave this book to me. I got interested because it's a horror. So at first everything was okay until what what the hell is happening and the old man died and I was so frustrated because I need justice there. I never hated or liked the old man but yeah. And then when I was in the middle of the book it's getting interesting and the climax was actually good. I finished it feeling empty because the book was good, to be honest.
Tanya Eby
I don't usually get to narrate horror titles, so this was a delightful change of pace for me. It's creepy and crawly and so much fun (the way that scary clowns and creepy dolls are fun). It's filled with bugs, bees, mayhem, and possessed teenagers and other twists and turns. What a fun little piece to get your adrenaline going. I hate bugs so I was trying very hard not to scratch and wiggle while narrating this. I (mostly) succeeded. Had a blast reading this.
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Homing 1 2 Jul 31, 2012 06:28AM
  • In Plain Sight (The Ivory Nation)
  • Magic Terror
  • The Servants of Twilight
  • Acceptable Risk
  • Among the Missing
  • Mr. Murder
  • Mischief (Harrow House, #2)
  • Infected Connection
  • Suspects
  • Omnibus: Skeleton Crew / Different Seasons
  • Dumb Clucks (Rotten School, #16)
  • Voice Of The Blood
  • The Association
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents Stories for Late at Night
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he