Start by marking “A Homemade Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Homemade Christmas

A Homemade Christmas

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating Details ·  37 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Making something with your own hands--whether it's a plate of just-baked cookies, a handcrafted stocking, a homemade wreath or an origami ornament--is a great way to connect with the true meaning of Christmas.

From holiday decorating to gift giving, "A Homemade Christmas" is chock-full of projects, recipes, tips, and helpful hints that are guaranteed to add a homemade touch
Published September 1st 2010 by Harlequin Nonfiction

To ask other readers questions about A Homemade Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Homemade Christmas

Harlequin Books
Hi everyone, I've been checking this book out for a few days trying to decide which of the craft projects my family will do. There so many wonderful ideas and many of them will hardly cost a thing. I love the great homemade gift ideas and I think that is the way I will go for the more difficult to buy for relatives and friends on my shopping list. I will take picture of whatever my daughter decides on making. I would rather show off her skills since she picked up the artist gene from her father. ...more
Anastacia
A very disappointing book. Being a crafter, & growing up always making homemade presents because that's just what we did (and of course a lack of money, too) I had really high hopes for this book. But I didn't see one idea that was original in the book. Everything was way, way too basic/simplistic - hang up Christmas lights! Reuse your Christmas cards! Buy a real tree or get a used fake one (what does that have to do with a *homemade* Christmas, anyway? Last I knew, I didn't make my own tree ...more
KWinks
Nov 09, 2010 KWinks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This year is going to be a tight Christmas for a lot of families. In these terrible economic times, I see folks everyday at the library who are struggling to make ends meet, and the crush of the materialistic pressure of an American Christmas can kill someone's spirit faster than pee in the punchbowl. The upside of this kind of economy is the return of the simple life-focus on friends, family, and small, meaningful traditions.
I was lucky enough to get a copy of A Homemade Christmas, and this bo
Anne Gustke
This book trys to helps provide an alternative to big, expensive Christmas presents by providing some examples of things you can make yourself that will be loved by the recipients. Unfortunately for many people Christmas gets out of hand and becomes about who spends the most money or gets the “must have” gifts of the season, instead of being about families, community and caring. This book tries to counter that problem by providing simply, easy ideas that are family friendly, eco-conscious, festi ...more
Gaby
Nov 20, 2010 Gaby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Posted at http://oh-my-books.blogspot.com/2010/...

I'm not the most creative person and it's extremely difficult for me to do something with my hands. But I like to do homemade cards and stuff like that. Actually, my other hobby besides reading is scrapbooking.

I was thinking to do some homemade cards for this Christmas but didn't know how to do them easily and cute. But then I found this book and thought it would be good to read it. Since the beginning I love it. The homemade cards were so easy t
Oana
Dec 31, 2010 Oana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very interesting, especially because I am the kind of person who likes to do things by hand. I make my holiday cards,decorate the Christmas tree and my house with things made by me.
It is a book rich in tips and ideas for the winter holidays. It has tips for do it yourself decorations and recipes for Christmas cookies and special meals, how to make your house ready for a party. It is full of illustrations and you will find youself looking for this book every year and not only du
Ellie
I was really surprised by this book. When I first flipped through it I was utterly bored and unimpressed - but then my little neice had a look and got all excited and that made me excited.

So the two of us got together and made abreviated versions of some of the projects in the book. It was great. The book gave us a great outline and from there we used our imaginations. I loved that we had a part in making the decorations this year - instead of just buying them. And my neice had a great time. !

Bridget
Dec 15, 2010 Bridget rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lately I have been much more hands-on with my home. I'm cooking more and creating my own decorations instead of purchasing items already made. A Homemade Christmas is the perfect book for someone like me, who would rather add their own personal touches to holiday decor. A lot of the crafts could be tweaked a little so that you could make an item to use all year round. The recipes are great and so easy to follow. I definitely recommend this book.
Maria Kazantzi
These holidays are you feeling like creating but you don't know what to do and how to do it? Well this book is what you need! It contains enjoyable ideas that anyone can make and they will fill your days and will bring joy to those around you- cause there is nothing more beautiful than a handmade gift or card.
You can order it here: http://www.eharlequin.com/storeitem.h...

Rating: 3/5
Sheryl Tribble
Nothing particularly original (the origami ornament is a crane; the cookie recipes are shortbread sugar cookies and russian tea cakes), but I like the way it's organized. For whatever reason, lists of related possibilities get my brain going so I think of or remember even more; if that's how your brain works this book is probably worth checking out.
Beth
Oct 23, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, kid-lit
Read with grandson who was given a school assignment of suggesting Holiday cards or small gifts that could be produced in class and then delivered to an assisted living or hospital facility. He's very creative and, while not choosing anything specific from this book, was inspired by a couple of general ideas to try.
Nov 18, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was thinking this book would give me some inexpensive yet creative ideas for gifts to make for Christmas this year. The ideas were creative, however for the most part they weren't what I'd call "frugal". It seemed like things would add up with many of the ideas. I am interested in some of the recipes though.
Marcia
"Creative ideas for an Earth-friendly, Frugal, Festive Holiday"- unfortunately there was not one new idea in this book. Everything has been done to death. Potato stamp cards, anyone? (I made those in Girl Scouts in 1972!)
Wendy
Dec 14, 2012 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute Ideas. Will have to keep some of these ideas for our mission and craft week during Advent.
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was ok
Aug 22, 2010
Keri
Keri rated it it was ok
Sep 14, 2015
Lorna
Lorna rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2011
Kelley
Kelley rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2017
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2011
Ty
Ty rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2010
Beverly Giles
Beverly Giles rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Meme Lee
Meme Lee rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Franny Burd
Franny Burd rated it liked it
May 21, 2011
Jessie
Jessie rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2011
Terry Clary
Terry Clary rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2011
Meghann
Meghann rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2011
Sarah rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2011
Monique
Monique rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2014
Liberty Montano
Liberty Montano rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2010