Start by marking “Between Good and Evil: A Master Profiler's Hunt for Society's Most Violent Predators” as Want to Read:

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  313 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
He was a pioneer in modern law enforcement, a trailblazing leader in the hunt for serial killers. But after decades of staring deep into the darkness, he entered a seminary to search for the good... BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL No one gets closer to evil than a criminal profiler, trained to penetrate the hearts and minds of society's most vicious psychopaths. And no one is a more ...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Between Good and Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Good and Evil

Lady♥Belleza★✰
I was disappointed with this book. Mainly because it didn't live up to the description. Instead of saying 'A Master Profiler's Hunt for Society's Most Violent Predators', it should have said, 'The Life Story of a Master Profiler'. The book cover's his childhood, how he came to be in law enforcement, ended up in the FBI and an instructor at Quantico. During this time, he references cases they helped solve with the new 'Science' of Profiling and Behavior Analysis. He talks about how they interview ...more
Holly
Aug 11, 2010 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I read this book in anticipation for my criminal psych class...

One of the reasons I really enjoyed this book was because like the author, I'm from Michigan. I knew of the places he spoke of, and I had visited some of them. I also was in the military, and finally, the firm he built is now about an hour away from where I relocated. (Small world!) There were many parts where I could relate to the author.

There are some very dark parts of this book. The author is a criminal profiler, and this book ex
Beki
Dec 15, 2010 Beki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. Great and unexpected mix of psychology, philosophy and spirituality as they relate to both the social phenomenon of serial killers and to Roger Depue's life as a whole. Well written and informative.

For my money, best of the profilers' "these are my stories" books (and I've read most, if not all, of them) because it isn't just a series of case studies and doesn't foundation itself on a sense of ... self aggrandizement, I suppose would be the word. The narrative voice is humble wi
Bellezza
Feb 29, 2016 Bellezza rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, ebook
Bob Ryan
Aug 07, 2016 Bob Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book. An autobiography of the author wrapped around his involvement of the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit and The Academy Group, a privately owned group of retired FBI agents and policemen who investigate "cold cases". The author, an FBI agent, was instrumental in developing criminal profiling as an FBI resource in the early 1970. At that time, there was no training in identifying suspects using psychological profiles and almost no use of the techniques used by a relatively few agents ...more
Beth
Feb 24, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a biography of the man, Roger Depue, who became the Chief of the FBI Behavioral Sciences Unit at a time when the team and it's innovative work first gained prominence in criminology. Discussion about the cases and crimes solved by the famous FBI BSU really are secondary in this book, so if you are looking for an in depth profile of the techniques used by the team, and a main focus on specific serial killers and their crimes, you may be disappointed; although some of that is certainly sho ...more
Kate
Sep 04, 2014 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd rate this as more of a two and a half but I'm feeling like personal biases may have gotten in the way of my enjoyment of the book. It's an interesting story of crimes and I enjoyed the way that the author discussed what leads someone to live a life of crime and his own story. I think, for me, the major flaw was that the author interprets everything through the lens of his faith and, since I don't share it, I sometimes found this off-putting. Still, it's an insightful work that explores the e ...more
Tess Julia
Dec 16, 2015 Tess Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again not for the faint of heart-
Some truly disturbing real life crimes are described in detail, but this has been a part of my continued search of answers to our personal tragedy. The problem is, good people don't want to hear these things.
Continuing to ignore the violence surrounding us won't make it go away, and it leaves us vulnerable to the predators. Unfortunately, no one is safe- anywhere.
He has an interesting life story and is very philosophical about society, making some statements tha
Heather
Jun 07, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roger Depue presents the evolution and growth of his life's work: Taking down the "worst of the worst" bad guys. He talks about the movement he made from police officer to chief of police and eventually on to the FBI where he became part and parcel of the beginning of the new movement of behavioral analysis in search for killers and rapists. He provides examples of cases he worked on or his team worked on, and noted the struggles and individual challenges each case brought to the agency. In addi ...more
Peter
Feb 08, 2015 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a life story about the guy who helped found the use of criminal profiling and less about actual psychology behind the profiling that I was hoping for. It was still decent with fascinating and sometimes unnerving, detailed insight into some of America's worst crimes and serial killers, but it tended to fall short of what I wanted. All and all not bad, just different from the description and my expectations.
Rebecca
Nov 28, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Far more thank the subtitle implies, this book describes the author's personal journey in a very genuine, likeable way. Yes, he does share some of the crimes and profiles, but what I liked more was learning of his own struggles to understand good and evil.
Karen Bullock
May 19, 2015 Karen Bullock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Pretty awesome book--interesting to read about the people that witness these horrific crimes & how they solve them & are able to carry on with normal day to day life. Thank you to the B.A.U.!!!
Susan
Nov 06, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as I had hoped. It is more of an autobiography with a few crime stories thrown in. Interesting, but not real gripping.
Stephan
Jan 08, 2015 Stephan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a fan of the FBI's BSU, I found this book to be a fast paced read.
Jen
Jan 04, 2010 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, boxe
More biography than book about the profiling division of the FBI - Behavioral Science Unit - though it was an interesting read. When Depue dives into his experiences after his first wife's death, he could have been more preachy, but instead, he turns his religious studies into a comparison with his work in profiling which I respect. The transitions flow well which is more a credit to his co-writer Susan Schindehette.

At the end of the day, I'd recommend other books for a deeper analysis of the cr
Kimbolimbo
Oct 18, 2012 Kimbolimbo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Saw this on the audio shelf at the library and decided to give it a try. Loved it! In a parallel life I am a profiler and detective...and a pretty good one at that. I really enjoyed listening to Roger Depue read his own book. He has a great voice. The first half of the book is rather graphic so I don't recommend this to youth. The second half of the book was therapeutic and comforting in order to heal you from the things shared in the first half.
Josh
Aug 10, 2009 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Not for the faint of heart, this book tells the life story of Depue who was key to setting up the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit. Depue worked on many high-profile cases, but focuses more on not so high-profile cases. Chilling in the horror described of man inflicting harm upon his fellow man, it's a good book with, in spite of it all, a positive message.
lunaticprophet
Jan 11, 2011 lunaticprophet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**** Well written and interesting account of Roger Depue's work as the head of the FBI's Behavorial Science Unit (BSU). The book details his life and career but instead of focusing on the details of the crimes he gives a more detailed view of the men who worked in the BSU and of how profiling came to be used. It's more biography than crime story.
Robert Vertrees
Dec 29, 2007 Robert Vertrees rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody interested in serial killers, criminal/behavioral profiling, or just true crime in general
I still catch myself considering his profile of the Jon Benet ransom note, and it's a little less gruesome than John Douglas's books. Roger Depue is more like Mandy Patinkin's, Gideon, from Criminal Minds whereas Douglas is in the vein of Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry.
Sally
Dec 06, 2011 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting autobiography by a very bright former cop/FBI agent/priest who, while in the FBI, established and honed the practice of profiling of criminals, saw too much horror, signed himself into a seminary and became a priest, found himself, and moved on.
Nik
Jan 08, 2013 Nik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
This is an engaging book. I enjoyed the biopic parts and listening to the famous cases. But what I loved the most is the honesty of the authors real reactions & longterm effects of working with killers. Its both scary & human. I loved it.
Eric Shaffer
Nov 06, 2010 Eric Shaffer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly thoughtful and moving book about fighting evil, this one is well-written and well-paced as well as filled with information that I am glad law enforcement agencies gather and understand.
Giovanni Calabro
Jul 26, 2009 Giovanni Calabro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone with a strong stomach
This book is interesting but really difficult to listen to. I have a pretty vivid imagination but was shocked by some of the grotesque situations described. I still recommend it but be prepared.
Don
Jan 16, 2016 Don rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting read. The author reminded me of several bosses I have had though. He isn't really doing the work but he takes a lot of credit for what his team accomplished.
Reese Copeland
Jul 16, 2012 Reese Copeland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was interesting to see how Depue got into this line of work, and how predators can be tracked. It kept me engaged and I just enjoyed reading it.

Megan
Aug 09, 2009 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting, but disturbing book. Fascinating story - This guy goes to our church, and I have been to parenting talks given by him. His wife is pretty cool too.
Heather Fields
This truelly fasinating look into how are law enforcement works, had me peering around corners, jumping at squeeks and thumps for days, tears and smiles.. I loved it
Beka
Jan 05, 2011 Beka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: criminology
A great look at profiling. I appreciate his belief in God, but wish that he really understood the Bible not just Catholic religion.
Kris Catrine
Feb 21, 2008 Kris Catrine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recently-read
Interesting book about the effect of his work on an FBI profiler. Is not disgusting, focuses mainly on how he was able to handle his job.
James Burke
Aug 27, 2012 James Burke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one made me stop and think - there really are some sick people out there - I'm glad there are people like Mr. Depue.
  • Death Sentence: The True Story of Velma Barfield's Life, Crimes, and Punishment
  • Profilers: Leading Investigators Take You Inside The Criminal Mind
  • Predators: Pedophiles, Rapists, And Other Sex Offenders
  • Dark Dreams: Sexual Violence, Homicide And The Criminal Mind
  • A Checklist for Murder
  • The Unknown Darkness: Profiling the Predators Among Us
  • Cape May Court House: A Death in the Night
  • Killing for Sport: Inside the Minds of Serial Killers
  • I Have Lived in the Monster: Inside the Minds of the World's Most Notorious Serial Killers
  • In with the Devil: A Fallen Hero, a Serial Killer, and a Dangerous Bargain for Redemption
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 3: Blood in the Water
  • Cold Zero: Inside the FBI  Hostage Rescue Team
  • Inside the Mind of Scott Peterson
  • Journey Into Darkness
  • The Human Predator: A Historical Chronicle of Serial Murder and Forensic Investigation
  • Written in Blood
  • The Secrets of the FBI
  • The Evil That Men Do: FBI Profiler Roy Hazelwood's Journey into the Minds of Serial Killers