Servanthood as Worship

Servanthood as Worship

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Browse a Christian book website or bookstore and notice all there is for leaders and would-be leaders. We are inundated with studies of leaders, keys to leadership, and tips on becoming a leader. But how many books inspire us simply to serve one another? How many books involving servanthood are not tied to leadership and basically about leadership? The appeal of leadership...more
Published by Cruciform Press (first published November 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Servanthood as Worship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Servanthood as Worship

Brian
The main title of the book was a little confusing for me. When I bought the book I thought it would teach about how to better worship God through service. In reality it was more of an introduction of living as a servant which would benefit mostly new Christians. There were a lot of good insights in the book, but there was also a lot of pious/religious statements made that also detracted from the good ones. I believe that God can use this book to make better servants but ultimately I would not re...more
Jimmy
See my full review here: http://cruciformlife.org/book-reviews...

This is an important book. Here are a few reasons why I’m thrilled to recommend it to you:

Palmer has served the Church well by packing a rich biblical theology of service into a small package. He draws from a wealth of Scripture, sound doctrine, and the writings of past and present Bible-soaked teachers to inform our heads, inspire our hearts, and incline our hands to serve.

Palmer focuses on the local church as the context for Ch...more
Brandon Lehr
"Can you serve in the nursery this morning?" As you try to pick one of the more plausible excuses that have popped into your head, you secretly hope the pastor's question was theoretical.
With these opening lines Nate Palmer begins our journey into what Christian service is all about in his book, Servanthood as Worship: The Privilege of Life in a Local Church. He seeks to answer the big questions of why, who, and where do we serve.

In the first chapter Nate looks at his own experiences of service...more
Jeanie
Such a great read. Water for the soul! It is amazing in our christian walk how we can take the simplest of things and get it turned around. The best part of this book, was the foundation was built on the condition of my heart, what are my motives, whom am I really serving (the King or myself), and why am I serving (for the sake of the gospel). The last part of the book was the work of the holy spirit. Something that I have never comtemplated was Jesus as a Prohpet, (reveals the will of God to us...more
Aaron
My full review can be read here: http://www.bloggingtheologically.com/...

It’s Saturday night and you’ve just enjoyed a great night out. You get ready for bed, your head hits the pillow and you realize:

“Oh man, I’m on set up tomorrow. Ugh…”

I know that there have been times that I’ve felt that way. When I’ve volunteered to serve and can remember when I used to enjoy it… but now, I wish I could call in sick. Nate Palmer understands this—he’s been there. And in Servanthood as Worship, he seeks to he...more
Mark A Powell
Why serve God? Some do so out of a misguided attempt to earn His favor, while others work hard to earn the favor of others (or self). Combating these approaches, Palmer portrays service as not done primarily for God but rather from God, as He provides the motivation and power for our good works. In a day when many view service as mundane or meaningless, Palmer offers a helpful encouragement to serve the Lord with gladness.
David Hardin
It was just okay. Palmer is writing heavily from a neo-orthodox position, and this influence is seen throughout. The real problem with the book though is focus. The author spends a great deal of time offering introductory understandings of Christian doctrine leaving little time to discuss servanthood as worship. There are however some interesting and helpful insights when Palmer is focused on the subject.
Darby Hughes
Good points on the theology behind why Christians should be servants, especially in the church. This is worship of God and imitation of Christ. He places special emphasis on the eternal importance of work that seems unimportant by temporal standards (such as stacking chairs or serving in the nursery at church).

A pretty basic and straightforward book, helpful, but not very in-depth or inspiring.
Josiah Degraaf
Great short book on how we should be viewing service in the local church.
Corey
This is a good, short book overall. Like other Cruciform Press books, the author draws heavily from familiar classic authors. Helpful for laypeople to really prod their thoughts on service within the church.
Lucia
Full of insights and biblical foundation of worship :) Great book to help readers understand how we are supposed to act as servant.
Bob
Not bad, I thought for a short book it was a little wordy, would be better if it was shortened into a booklet.
Mike
This is a sound theological book, but it covers no new ground. It is only mildly interesting.
Lee Button
Very helpful. Shows how worship is connected to everyday life.
Jonathan Franzone
Jonathan Franzone marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Wilfred
Wilfred marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Mark Helfrich
Mark Helfrich marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2013
Kirk Stifle
Kirk Stifle marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013