The Greatest Presidential Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  42 reviews
What most of us don't know about our presidents could fill a book--and this just happens to be that book! From the archives of The History Channel(R) comes a treasure trove of quirky presidential history that will truly astonish, bewilder, and stupefy. Like Abraham Lincoln's duel or Jimmy Carter's UFO sighting . . . and let's not forget about the president who went skinny-...more
Published October 16th 2007 by Harper (first published October 1st 2007)

Frank Jacobs
I love a good presidential anecdote, but - perhaps because of this - I've heard most of the ones listed in this book before; still, nice to learn a few new things: Robert Todd Lincoln, was not just present at the shooting of his own father, but was also at the side of two other presidents who subsequently got shot (Garfield in 1881, and McKinley in 1901).
Briony
I read this book after reading Berg's first book, The Greatest Stories Never Told, and although I knew a quite bit of information from the historical point of view, I wanted to give this book a go since I wanted to learn some fun facts about our presidents.

What I got was an interesting book that did provide me some insight to our presidents, such as Silent Cal was actually pretty talkative to some information that I already knew. Sometimes I did zone out when the information solely focused on po...more
Emmy
If you're anything like me, you don't know much more than a high school level of American history, but you have a strong interest in historical trivia and fun facts. If that's the case, than this is the book for you. After having torn through such books as Stupid History and Stupid American History, I was looking for something new. And when I stumbled upon this little gem while at the library, it was not possible to pass it up.

This is a fun little book. It's a quick read, chock-full of informati...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Being an avid reader of history, I had already heard about half of these little tidbits of American history. The rest were new to me, and quite fascinating. The book moves chronologically from 1620 to 2000, beginning with the pilgrim forefather of three of our presidents and ending with some presidential election trivia. Most of the book covers American presidents, with a few from other countries (Mexico, France, South Africa) thrown in. I just love books like this where I learn new things! I di...more
I'm giving this book a solid "OK". The writing style is engaging, and the author does a good job of using media (newspaper articles, political cartoons, photos, letters, etc) to help tell the story.

On the other hand, I think it's stretching it to say that these stories have "never been told". I think I was familar with about half of them, and I don't consider myself particularly knowledgable. (I just paid attention in my AP U.S. History class 14 years ago! :P) And there was at least on piece of...more
Colleen Martin
Entertaining stuff. It's a quick read, with lots of pictures and captions, and each story is about four paragraphs long. I'd already heard some, like how the Gettysburg Address was widely panned after its delivery, but I was unfamiliar with most of them. Did you know that Thomas Jefferson introduced the tradition of the presidential handshake in 1801? Or that the Smithsonian is named after a British chemist who left his entire fortune to the United States...and President Andrew Jackson almost di...more
Keeko
I emjoyed reading this book. I read a page or two each day. Even the stories that were familiar had information that was new to me. I took the book to work a few times to show the photos. One of my co-workers has a degree in history, and the stories were new to him too. I also like how the author often includes the actions and thoughts of the people with the president's story, so you get an idea of the culture of the time. The date in the upper left corner is handy too. Thanks to the author for...more
Jonathan
Some fun trivia about the U.S. Presidents. Did you know Lincoln was challenged to a duel? His weapon of choice - calvary broadswords. A truce was negotiated. Or that Grant is the only president to ever receive a speeding ticket while in office for making his horces pull his carriage at gallop speed? It's all in here. Oddly, a few tidbits are thrown in about other nation's presidents, like Santa Anna. Overall, a fun little book, just don't epect to come out with any deep thoughts about the Presid...more
Liza Gilbert
I learned more from this collection than I did from Beyer's first book of little-known stories. Frankly, I'm amazed that our country is still standing after what I read in this book.

Some of the stories are retellings from Beyer's first collection, and some are oddly about the presidents of other nations, even when 98% of the book is about American presidents. It's a little uneven in coverage, but overall I enjoyed this better than the first one and learned a lot more.
Abraham Ray
nice book of the presidents!
Pam
Oct 24, 2013 Pam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: history
This small book only about 8 by 8 inches in size includes 100 stories presented in two page spreads with excellent photographs and other illustrations. While some of the stories fall flat, and others are well known to readers of history, there are enough real gems that meet the subtitle's expectation that everyone will enjoy it and at times even be amazed. Rick Beyer also includes many additional resources that the reader may enjoy investigating.
Khalid
Rick Beyer is a history enthusiast and has done work on several programs presented on the History Channel. In his book, he has compiled Presidential stories to whet the appetite of the reader for more. And in addition to all the information included in the book, the author provides a list of resources where the reader can obtain more information.

Tippy Jackson
Fun book. I think my favorite was the Lincoln dreaming about his death before it happened. That was crazy. But all around a lot of interesting things, almost all of which I hadn't heard before. Nice pictures too, and very short. Easy to pick up and read a couple of stories when you got a moment to kill. Lot's of fun facts thrown in too.
Jim
Some interesting trivia about U.S. Presidents. However, the tidbits given left me wanting for much more and I found myself continuously asking, "....how did they get to this point" or ".....what happened next". Overall, a fun little book, just don't expect to come out with any deep thoughts about the Presidency or American history.
Read Ng
Don't get me wrong. I like these short tidbits of information. This book is worth reading. BUT, it is after all, just a collection of factoids. One of those 'bathroom' reads. Reading the third of a series just makes me wonder what is in the first and likely best of these books. I guess I should be reading that one next.
Dale Pearl
If you are looking for light hearted historical reading then this is a must. Throughly engrossing little book that you won't be able to put it down once you start reading it. I plan to follow up by reading the author's other two books as well as some of the sources that he utilized in producing this book. Great stuff!
Andrea
Great stories! Very fast and easy read. A good book to just browse though; you definitely do not need to read all of the stories, but each one is interesting in its own way. I am going to share these with my students when we study the presidents. Some of them are really funny!
Brisbride13
Not particularly exciting and much of the stories in here, I had already read about in my never-ending quest to read everything I can get my hands on in regards to our presidents past and present.
Michelle
Some of these stories, a small few, I had heard of before. But this is a good book to give you a taste of some rather interesting stories of some before non-interesting people, LOL. Really an entertaining book, very informative and interesting! Recommend to everyone.
Shek
Jan 08, 2009 Shek rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: trivia
This was a shot-in-the-dark Hannukah gift from my aunt and uncle that proved to be a reliable bathroom reader, and if those folks know anything, it's bathroom lit. Honestly, this did manage to help me out on a Jeopardy! clue, and is otherwise pretty much harmless.
Shawn Thrasher
Mixed fodder for trivia buffs; this is the book that may help you win your next pub trivia contest. The one hundred stories are all little chestnuts, some more interesting that others. A book to read between activities, other books or otherwise.
Brian
This was a book about the presidents, featuring stories that aren't very well known. As these compilation books go, some of these are more well known than others, making it sometimes an interesting read, other times a dull read.
Amatullah Richard
Fun read. The author revealed some facts I was not aware of. Most I was familiar with. I did find one factual error in the book so the research was not flawless by any means. Entertaining and at times enlightening.
Stephen
I have read a lot of "interesting facts" books about the presidents. I must say that this book really is great. Refreshing stories, plenty I hadn't come across. Great use of images. Concise, funny, ponderable.
Cassidy  Charles
I already knew that conpiracy theory between Abraham Lincolin and JFK, but I didn’t know that about the custody battle that lead to George Washington’s existence.

History- learn it.
Aaron Guilmette
Enjoyable read. I think the stories themselves are worth 3 stars, but the treasure trove of references in the back will undoubtedly lead to more great reading, which is why I gave it 4.
Amber the Human
Randomly pulled it off the shelf at the library - a fun book! Some stuff I did know, lots I didn't. The Polish priest who invented the bullet proof vest - very interesting.
Amanda
There are some very interesting stories in this book. For example, Lincoln had a dream he was at his own funeral 3 days before he was killed.
Connie
I really enjoyed ths book it was righ up my alley with unknown facts and stories. I would like o read the other books in ths series.
  • Unsolved Mysteries of American History: An Eye-Opening Journey Through 500 Years of Discoveries, Disappearances, and Baffling Events
  • A Treasury of Foolishly Forgotten Americans: Pirates, Skinflints, Patriots, and Other Colorful Characters Stuck in the Footnotes of History
  • Almost President: The Men Who Lost the Race but Changed the Nation
  • The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln: A Book of Quotations
  • Dogfight: The 2012 Presidential Campaign in Verse
  • The Conservative Soul: How We Lost It, How to Get It Back
  • The Great Big Book of Horrible Things: The Definitive Chronicle of History's 100 Worst Atrocities
  • Smithsonian Civil War: Inside the National Collection
  • How the States Got Their Shapes Too: The People Behind the Borderlines
  • The Thirteen American Arguments: Enduring Debates That Define and Inspire Our Country
  • Nothing to Fear: FDR's Inner Circle and the Hundred Days That Created ModernAmerica
  • Great American Hypocrites: Toppling the Big Myths of Republican Politics
  • George Vs. George: The American Revolution as Seen from Both Sides
  • How Shakespeare Changed Everything
  • Royalty's Strangest Characters: Extraordinary But True Tales from 2,000 Years of Mad Monarchs and Raving Rulers (Strangest series)
  • Boundaries: Where You End And I Begin: How To Recognize And Set Healthy Boundaries
  • The Saga of the Bloody Benders
  • Me the People: One Man's Selfless Quest to Rewrite the Constitution of the United States of America
200852

Rick Beyer is an award-winning documentary filmmaker, a best-selling author, and a long-time history enthusiast.

He is the author of The Greatest Stories Never Told series published by Harper Collins. The Chicago Tribune described the series as “an old fashioned sweetshop full of tasty morsels.” The fifth book in the series, The Greatest Music Stories Never Told, was published in 2011.

Rick most...more
More about Rick Beyer...
The Greatest Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy The Greatest War Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from Military History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy The Greatest Stories Never Told The Greatest Science Stories Never Told: 100 Tales of Invention and Discovery to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy The Greatest Music Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from Music History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy