Start by marking “American Love Songs” as Want to Read:
American Love Songs

American Love Songs

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  2,810 Ratings  ·  369 Reviews
Jake Brenner has too many wild oats to sow to fall in love—or so he claims. Besides, he's much too busy with his band, the Wayward Sons, to go looking for romance. His reticence has nothing to do with his embarrassing crush on Chris, the band's lead singer and Jake's erstwhile best friend. But that was before enigmatic wanderer Parker McAvoy signed on as the band's new lea ...more
Published December 31st 2010 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about American Love Songs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Love Songs

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Dec 01, 2012 Heather K (dentist in my spare time) rated it really liked it
Recommended to Heather K (dentist in my spare time) by: Jilly
Though rock and roll books are not my thing, this book had me hooked from the beginning!

Okay, let me get my frustrations out of the way before I try to review this book! I stayed up last night until 3 am (!!!) waiting for a particular scene that I just knew had to be coming but.... NO! Ashlyn Kane left me hanging! I almost threw my kindle against the bed frame and woke up my husband to scream (view spoiler)
julio
Feb 02, 2013 julio rated it it was ok
Charming, and occasionally very, very sweet.

While I found it to be a little hampered by a couple of unfortunate executive decisions—your narrator can't be both omniscient and unreliable, for example—empirical evidence suggests most who don't spend all day thinking about how to tell amazing stories won't even notice.

Mostly this turns out to be a nicely-drawn romance with much to recommend it.

Parker is adorable, even when he's irritating, and I found myself only infrequently wanting to throttle Ja
Susan
Feb 01, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Recommended to Susan by: Lenore

3.5 Stars...*sigh* me-likey-a-lot...

Awwwwwwwww…

Yup, it’s one of those. So sweet. So freaking adorable.

I don’t usually love romance books about musicians. I think I have a hard time trusting that they’d be good in relationships with all the other opportunities surrounding them. But, it’s hard not to find yourself rooting for Wayward Sons (I can’t get Kansas out of my head…I’m a classic rock nerd) and especially for Jake and Parker.

First, I HEART PARKER. He’s such a doll. Ridiculously gifted, sh
Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
2 stars. DNF at 40 %.

photo Kanye-West-Gets-Bored-Easily-Rubbing-His-Goatee_zps62b515f1.gif

But only when it comes to books. My attention span is not that bad. :)

It's safe to say that I don't get what the fuss is all about. Maybe I've read a different book? Honestly, I can't even muster up enough energy to review American Love Songs. All I will say is that this story and its characters bored me to tears. I will always compare every rock band book to How to Kill a Rock Star and so far no other (rock band) story could measure up to that awesome book.

Sorry...

photo tumblr_mj1ls8cuOI1s26ydto1_400_zps0a7adba6.gif
SheReadsALot
So you know that book you have sitting in ye old TBR pile and you keep meaning to get to it and then you finally remember "Oh I should read it", then you do and then you feel like WTF I have been sleeping on this?!!

That's this book, okay?

This is my brain:

Exploding with love for this book!!!

I'm not a newbie to M/M nor rock star M/M but this author did an excellent job building Parker and Jake's work and personal relationship. I have yet to read a M/M romance (I have with a few M/F romances but
Kaje Harper
Jan 22, 2012 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing
This one just hit the spot for me. I loved the narrator, despite his cluelessness and initially slutty ways. The other characters were great too. There was no deep angst, just the story of some realistically young guys figuring out what they wanted and how to get it, in the demanding environment of launching an up-and-coming rock band.

ETA: On a reread, this is still a nice easy read with sweetness that's not saccharine, a misunderstanding that makes me want to hug the clueless MC instead of sma
Shelley
I must have overlooked this book about fifty times when sifting through my TBR pile. Mentally discarding it with a flippant wave of the hand thinking: pfft … silly rock star book - why did I even buy this? I know it’s not my thing, not anymore. So don’t ask me why I decided to read it. I just did.

Now here’s the part where I say: I could have smacked myself repeatedly with a rubber hose for not reading it up ages ago. Gah … when will I learn to stop being so darn picky.

American Love Songs is just
Ami
Elsa Bravante
Nov 14, 2016 Elsa Bravante rated it really liked it
Un libro sobre una banda de rock que no es muy al uso, la historia de Parker y Jake está íntimamente ligada al ascenso de su banda de rock, pero no nos vamos a encontrar con drogas, angst y un interminable número de escenas de sexo, al contrario. Quitando que la música tiene su protagonismo, el resto es una historia de amor "normal", con unos protagonistas "normales", con mucho slow burn, y toda llena de detalles. Quizás he encontrado algunos problemas con la forma de escribir de la autora, pero ...more
Ann
Jul 19, 2013 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this one on Audible and Sean Crisden as a narrator is awesome!

The whole time I pictured Jake Bass playing Jake and it upped the hot factor of this story up exponentially. Parker is such a great character, you just want to hug him and never stop.

Lots of music "stuff" going on, which was obviously a huge part of their lives and relationship. The sexual tension between Jake and Parker was so good and you have to be very patient (as did Jake) for the payoff, but I promise you, it is wo
Lauraadriana
Sep 03, 2011 Lauraadriana rated it it was amazing
This one is going straight to the favorites shelf. This is the kind of book I LOVE to read.

This story ROCKED!!! Oh man where do I even start. This is Jake and Parker's story. Parker shows up one day to audition as guitarist in the band that Jake is in and from there on they become best friends, and very very slowly a lot more...I loved Jake's character he was funny and just so awesome to get to know, and him figuring himself out and what he felt for Parker was awesome to read. Now one thing I lo
Amy Lane
Jul 12, 2011 Amy Lane rated it it was amazing
This book was fun, funny, touching, rollicking, thoughtful and generally awesome. Jake, the central protagonist was an adorable, clueless boy-slut (I've got a fondness for those sometimes) and Parker was an aDORKable musical genius who managed to fit into Jake's goofy, irritating testosterone-overloaded alt rock band with a sweet aplomb--and a lot of help from Jake. I loved that the other members of the band were douchey and high and, when it came right down to it at the end, truly decent people ...more
Jenni Lea
Oct 05, 2013 Jenni Lea rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-sh-october
This was a sweet story about two boys that found fame, fortune and eventually each other. Jake and Parker were so adorable together. This was a very slow burn. Very slow. Almost too slow but the story was engaging enough to hold my interest so I didn’t mind it all that much. Jake’s voice was perfect. It was well paced and smartly written. Jake was oblivious to his and Parker’s feelings for most of the story which made the angst level pretty low. A nice comfort read for a Sunday afternoon.
Valentina Heart
Jan 29, 2011 Valentina Heart rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who love rock stars;)
Shelves: glbt
Why I loved this - Well, isn't it obvious? I'm a rock n' roll girl who likes boys doing each other!

But seriously, when you combine an amazing author with a good story and funny characters you usually get a good book. Add some great music into the mix,surprising innocence and a journey of a lifetime, and you're introduced with a masterpiece.

I loved both Jake and Parker even though the romance part only comes into the picture in the last third of the book. Up until then you have the story of 'how
Heller
This was good. I wanted to like it more but some parts of it didn't quite work for me.

I loved the whole Rock 'n Roll aspect. This was a fresh take for me and the first MM novel with this kind of content that I've read so I really got into that part of it.

Jake's blogs. Awesome. This book is worth it just to read those blogs. So much fun.

What didn't work as much for me.

Parker who I loved in the beginning and really came across as a strong, mysterious, interesting character just seem to get youn
Camille
Feb 21, 2013 Camille rated it really liked it
4.25

This was entertaining, fun, sweet and touching. I enjoyed the ride and even came to appreciate Sean Crisden's narration :-)
Really lovely and a great story.
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
Jun 28, 2012 Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog rated it liked it
Recommends it for: m-m, rock stars, bands
Recommended to Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog by: Andri
Shelves: m-m-romance, kindle
~~~

No spoilers

This should reflect a strong 3.5 stars.

I found this very enjoyable, romantic and easy to read.

I read this book like a rock star groupie, I couldn't stop being clingy. I found myself hoping and cheering for Jake and Parker's evolving relationship AND for the success of the band.

"On his more honest days, Jake would admit--even if only to himself--that he was kind of infatuated with Parker".

There wasn't too much angst or conflict. No real tragedy. There were a couple high's in the s
Christina Marie
American Love Songs grabbed me by the emotional balls and refused to let go. It squeezed my heart with tons of sweetness and made me “Awwww” out loud.

I loved Jake. He captivated me with his narration and made me giggle. I loved Parker because he was so fucking adorkable. I loved the footnotes, and the different writing devices the author used.

Love, love, love.

I loved this book so much my eyes have morphed into hearts.

The only downside is that I was really sad to reach the last page. It’s one
Feliz
Jul 03, 2011 Feliz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was highly entertaining, cute, laugh-out-loud funny and simply great! Jake, the narrator had such a refreshingly straightforward voice, both in the parts that are written in blog form and in the narrative passages. I adored his character, so thickheaded and good-natured, child-like and childish at the same time, and of course, I also loved Parker, who was vulnerable and strong and a genius. The other characters were well-defined and recognizable too, and I very much loved to watch them ...more
Vio
Sep 16, 2011 Vio rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vio by: Wade
3.5 stars.
It tickled my fancy, Parker is so damn cute, shy and talented. Jake is assured and candid, I adored them. I liked what little sex there was, hot and sweet, very romantic.
Monique ~ Sinfully
Aug 14, 2012 Monique ~ Sinfully rated it really liked it
Audiobook
MishyJo
Jan 25, 2014 MishyJo rated it really liked it
From the title of this book, I thought it was going to be a heavy read. But it wasn’t. It was actually quite funny and sweet. And it wasn’t your typical bad boy rocker falls in love smut fest either. Thank goodness.

I loved the different ways the story was moved along. The story’s narrative portions were told in Jake’s voice, and his wicked sense of humor was evident throughout. But the parts that were communicated through blog posts, texts, emails, magazine articles, and interviews made it feel
Cole Riann
I knew immediately upon reading the blurb that I wanted to read this story. I absolutely love Cinderella types of stories, where a commoner falls for a famous or successful person. Whether they be royals or movie stars, sports stars or musicians, this type of story captivates me because it relies on two fantasies that almost everyone entertains: (1), fame, riches, or success (it is embarrassing how many times I fantasize about winning the lottery); or (2), that a man who could have anyone would ...more
AliciaJ
Apr 13, 2012 AliciaJ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of mm and rock stars
I was looking for something fun and upbeat to read while I'm waiting for Psycop 7, and so I decided to re-read this one. And I'm so happy to see that my original feelings about the book haven't changed a whit. It's still a feel-good, fun, happy read that I fell in love with all over again. I love Jake's character. He reminds me of an overgrown puppy who is just full of energy and love and happiness. It's awesome.

Original review:
I loved this story. Jake and Parker were great. And I loved the whol
Mary
Jan 06, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing
I smiled the whole time I read this. Jake is my favorite kind of character, the one who learns something about himself and then is strong enough to put his feelings on the line. I just love him and while I liked Parker too, Jake is the heart and soul of the book. I will read this one again.
Wade
I know I take on too much sometimes, but I wanted to read something fun on my birthday. This was worth all my "me" time. I get a thrill out of "rocker" stories. (Maybe a secret wish to be one.) This story to be was refreshing and fun compared to the emotional roller-coaster of The Locker Room.

American Love Songs contained a very believable couple of guys who are friends and ...eventually... become lovers. (no insta-love here) It is sometimes painfully slow and evident that Jake needs to "get a
Susan
Mar 24, 2014 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, mm
BR with Karlijn and Elsbeth

I have no idea what happened here. I was under the impression this re-read was going to be good. I gave the book 4 stars the first time I read it. Had to be good, right?

Not so much the second time. I was pretty bored and wanted more romance than this book provided. When I was halfway through I just started skimming.

description

Jake and his band need a new guitarist and when Parker walks up to them to ask directions but ends up auditioning, the problem is solved.

Jake and
BWT (Belen)
Oct 31, 2014 BWT (Belen) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2016
Belens Audio Book Review

I really liked the first 65% of this story. I was into it - majorly. Everything was clicking right along for me, the UST was awesome, I liked Jake and was enjoying his utter obliviousness of what was happening right in front of him; I liked Nate and was just waiting for him to finally man up and admit what was going on...I was digging it all.

Then...it unraveled. It seemed like Nate's age decreased with every passing minute. His emotional maturity suddenly disintegrated. He went from hot to kind
Christina
This book made me happy. It doesn't have an adrenaline pumping intensity but it has a quiet strength to it. Many of my friends described it as a sweet comfort read and I have to agree. The plot is simple and has an easy flow to it. We follow the day to day life of Jake, a guy from Kansas who’s in a small-town band and wants nothing more than to become a rock-star and make it big. I love Jake’s “voice” and the blog updates. It was fun and entertaining.

What I loved the most was that all the guys
  • The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1)
  • Conquest (Conquest, #1)
  • The Luckiest (Lucky Moon, #2)
  • The Curtis Reincarnation
  • Reverb
  • Take My Picture
  • Catch My Breath
  • With the Band
  • Dex in Blue (Johnnies, #2)
  • Where the Allegheny Meets the Monongahela
  • My Summer of Wes (Wes & Mal, #1)
Ashlyn Kane is a Canadian expat currently enjoying work-at-home life in Germany. She has reached an age she feels most comfortable identifying as "twentysomething," and it will probably stay that way for the next fifteen years or so.

She has a bad habit of staying up too late, a husband who likes to go to bed early, and a baby brother called Miracle Whip. She is allergic to cleaning, unless you mea
More about Ashlyn Kane...

“I know,” he said, very softly. “Let’s go home. Let’s go home, and you can tell me whatever you want, and I’ll believe you.” 17 likes
“Pantycount for the evening is: 10 thongs, 2 boy shorts, 3 bikini briefs, 1 pair boxer shorts (represent!). There’s also something we can’t identify which may or may not be some type of bondage gear. You guys are awesome.” 15 likes