Start by marking “American Love Songs” as Want to Read:
American Love Songs

American Love Songs

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  2,311 ratings  ·  321 reviews
Jake Brenner has too many wild oats to sow to fall in love—or so he claims. Besides, he's much too busy with his band, the Wayward Sons, to go looking for romance. His reticence has nothing to do with his embarrassing crush on Chris, the band's lead singer and Jake's erstwhile best friend. But that was before enigmatic wanderer Parker McAvoy signed on as the band's new lea ...more
Published December 31st 2010 by Dreamspinner Press (first published December 2010)

To ask other readers questions about American Love Songs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Love Songs

Heaven by Jet MyklesConquest by S.J. FrostHell by Jet MyklesPurgatory by Jet MyklesThe Curtis Reincarnation by Zathyn Priest
Best Gay Rockers
6th out of 140 books — 459 voters
Hot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonThe Tin Star by J.L. LangleyThe Assignment by Evangeline Anderson
Best Gay Friends Become Lovers
23rd out of 542 books — 900 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Though rock and roll books are not my thing, this book had me hooked from the beginning!

Okay, let me get my frustrations out of the way before I try to review this book! I stayed up last night until 3 am (!!!) waiting for a particular scene that I just knew had to be coming but.... NO! Ashlyn Kane left me hanging! I almost threw my kindle against the bed frame and woke up my husband to scream (view spoiler)
Susan
Feb 21, 2013 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Susan by: Lenore

3.5 Stars...*sigh* me-likey-a-lot...

Awwwwwwwww…

Yup, it’s one of those. So sweet. So freaking adorable.

I don’t usually love romance books about musicians. I think I have a hard time trusting that they’d be good in relationships with all the other opportunities surrounding them. But, it’s hard not to find yourself rooting for Wayward Sons (I can’t get Kansas out of my head…I’m a classic rock nerd) and especially for Jake and Parker.

First, I HEART PARKER. He’s such a doll. Ridiculously gifted, sh
julio
Charming, and occasionally very, very sweet.

While I found it to be a little hampered by a couple of unfortunate executive decisions—your narrator can't be both omniscient and unreliable, for example—empirical evidence suggests most who don't spend all day thinking about how to tell amazing stories won't even notice.

Mostly this turns out to be a nicely-drawn romance with much to recommend it.

Parker is adorable, even when he's irritating, and I found myself only infrequently wanting to throttle Ja
Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
2 stars. DNF at 40 %.

photo Kanye-West-Gets-Bored-Easily-Rubbing-His-Goatee_zps62b515f1.gif

But only when it comes to books. My attention span is not that bad. :)

It's safe to say that I don't get what the fuss is all about. Maybe I've read a different book? Honestly, I can't even muster up enough energy to review American Love Songs. All I will say is that this story and its characters bored me to tears. I will always compare every rock band book to How to Kill a Rock Star and so far no other (rock band) story could measure up to that awesome book.

Sorry...

photo tumblr_mj1ls8cuOI1s26ydto1_400_zps0a7adba6.gif
SheReadsALot
So you know that book you have sitting in ye old TBR pile and you keep meaning to get to it and then you finally remember "Oh I should read it", then you do and then you feel like WTF I have been sleeping on this?!!

That's this book, okay?

This is my brain:

Exploding with love for this book!!!

I'm not a newbie to M/M nor rock star M/M but this author did an excellent job building Parker and Jake's work and personal relationship. I have yet to read a M/M romance (I have with a few M/F romances but
Kaje Harper
This one just hit the spot for me. I loved the narrator, despite his cluelessness and initially slutty ways. The other characters were great too. There was no deep angst, just the story of some realistically young guys figuring out what they wanted and how to get it, in the demanding environment of launching an up-and-coming rock band.

ETA: On a reread, this is still a nice easy read with sweetness that's not saccharine, a misunderstanding that makes me want to hug the clueless MC instead of sma
Ami
Shelley
I must have overlooked this book about fifty times when sifting through my TBR pile. Mentally discarding it with a flippant wave of the hand thinking: pfft … silly rock star book - why did I even buy this? I know it’s not my thing, not anymore. So don’t ask me why I decided to read it. I just did.

Now here’s the part where I say: I could have smacked myself repeatedly with a rubber hose for not reading it up ages ago. Gah … when will I learn to stop being so darn picky.

American Love Songs is just
Ann
I listened to this one on Audible and Sean Crisden as a narrator is awesome!

The whole time I pictured Jake Bass playing Jake and it upped the hot factor of this story up exponentially. Parker is such a great character, you just want to hug him and never stop.

Lots of music "stuff" going on, which was obviously a huge part of their lives and relationship. The sexual tension between Jake and Parker was so good and you have to be very patient (as did Jake) for the payoff, but I promise you, it is wo
Jenni Lea
This was a sweet story about two boys that found fame, fortune and eventually each other. Jake and Parker were so adorable together. This was a very slow burn. Very slow. Almost too slow but the story was engaging enough to hold my interest so I didn’t mind it all that much. Jake’s voice was perfect. It was well paced and smartly written. Jake was oblivious to his and Parker’s feelings for most of the story which made the angst level pretty low. A nice comfort read for a Sunday afternoon.
Heller
This was good. I wanted to like it more but some parts of it didn't quite work for me.

I loved the whole Rock 'n Roll aspect. This was a fresh take for me and the first MM novel with this kind of content that I've read so I really got into that part of it.

Jake's blogs. Awesome. This book is worth it just to read those blogs. So much fun.

What didn't work as much for me.

Parker who I loved in the beginning and really came across as a strong, mysterious, interesting character just seem to get youn
Lauraadriana
This one is going straight to the favorites shelf. This is the kind of book I LOVE to read.

This story ROCKED!!! Oh man where do I even start. This is Jake and Parker's story. Parker shows up one day to audition as guitarist in the band that Jake is in and from there on they become best friends, and very very slowly a lot more...I loved Jake's character he was funny and just so awesome to get to know, and him figuring himself out and what he felt for Parker was awesome to read. Now one thing I lo
Valentina Heart
Apr 06, 2011 Valentina Heart rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who love rock stars;)
Shelves: glbt
Why I loved this - Well, isn't it obvious? I'm a rock n' roll girl who likes boys doing each other!

But seriously, when you combine an amazing author with a good story and funny characters you usually get a good book. Add some great music into the mix,surprising innocence and a journey of a lifetime, and you're introduced with a masterpiece.

I loved both Jake and Parker even though the romance part only comes into the picture in the last third of the book. Up until then you have the story of 'how
Amy Lane
This book was fun, funny, touching, rollicking, thoughtful and generally awesome. Jake, the central protagonist was an adorable, clueless boy-slut (I've got a fondness for those sometimes) and Parker was an aDORKable musical genius who managed to fit into Jake's goofy, irritating testosterone-overloaded alt rock band with a sweet aplomb--and a lot of help from Jake. I loved that the other members of the band were douchey and high and, when it came right down to it at the end, truly decent people ...more
Camille
4.25

This was entertaining, fun, sweet and touching. I enjoyed the ride and even came to appreciate Sean Crisden's narration :-)
Really lovely and a great story.
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
Jan 15, 2013 Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: m-m, rock stars, bands
Recommended to Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog by: Andri
Shelves: kindle, m-m-romance
~~~

No spoilers

This should reflect a strong 3.5 stars.

I found this very enjoyable, romantic and easy to read.

I read this book like a rock star groupie, I couldn't stop being clingy. I found myself hoping and cheering for Jake and Parker's evolving relationship AND for the success of the band.

"On his more honest days, Jake would admit--even if only to himself--that he was kind of infatuated with Parker".

There wasn't too much angst or conflict. No real tragedy. There were a couple high's in the s
Christina Marie
American Love Songs grabbed me by the emotional balls and refused to let go. It squeezed my heart with tons of sweetness and made me “Awwww” out loud.

I loved Jake. He captivated me with his narration and made me giggle. I loved Parker because he was so fucking adorkable. I loved the footnotes, and the different writing devices the author used.

Love, love, love.

I loved this book so much my eyes have morphed into hearts.

The only downside is that I was really sad to reach the last page. It’s one
Feliz
This book was highly entertaining, cute, laugh-out-loud funny and simply great! Jake, the narrator had such a refreshingly straightforward voice, both in the parts that are written in blog form and in the narrative passages. I adored his character, so thickheaded and good-natured, child-like and childish at the same time, and of course, I also loved Parker, who was vulnerable and strong and a genius. The other characters were well-defined and recognizable too, and I very much loved to watch them ...more
Vio
Jun 27, 2012 Vio rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Vio by: Wade
3.5 stars.
It tickled my fancy, Parker is so damn cute, shy and talented. Jake is assured and candid, I adored them. I liked what little sex there was, hot and sweet, very romantic.
MishyJo
From the title of this book, I thought it was going to be a heavy read. But it wasn’t. It was actually quite funny and sweet. And it wasn’t your typical bad boy rocker falls in love smut fest either. Thank goodness.

I loved the different ways the story was moved along. The story’s narrative portions were told in Jake’s voice, and his wicked sense of humor was evident throughout. But the parts that were communicated through blog posts, texts, emails, magazine articles, and interviews made it feel
Cole Riann
I knew immediately upon reading the blurb that I wanted to read this story. I absolutely love Cinderella types of stories, where a commoner falls for a famous or successful person. Whether they be royals or movie stars, sports stars or musicians, this type of story captivates me because it relies on two fantasies that almost everyone entertains: (1), fame, riches, or success (it is embarrassing how many times I fantasize about winning the lottery); or (2), that a man who could have anyone would ...more
Mary
I smiled the whole time I read this. Jake is my favorite kind of character, the one who learns something about himself and then is strong enough to put his feelings on the line. I just love him and while I liked Parker too, Jake is the heart and soul of the book. I will read this one again.
Wade
I know I take on too much sometimes, but I wanted to read something fun on my birthday. This was worth all my "me" time. I get a thrill out of "rocker" stories. (Maybe a secret wish to be one.) This story to be was refreshing and fun compared to the emotional roller-coaster of The Locker Room.

American Love Songs contained a very believable couple of guys who are friends and ...eventually... become lovers. (no insta-love here) It is sometimes painfully slow and evident that Jake needs to "get a
Christina
This book made me happy. It doesn't have an adrenaline pumping intensity but it has a quiet strength to it. Many of my friends described it as a sweet comfort read and I have to agree. The plot is simple and has an easy flow to it. We follow the day to day life of Jake, a guy from Kansas who’s in a small-town band and wants nothing more than to become a rock-star and make it big. I love Jake’s “voice” and the blog updates. It was fun and entertaining.

What I loved the most was that all the guys
Alicia
Jul 18, 2014 Alicia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of mm and rock stars
I was looking for something fun and upbeat to read while I'm waiting for Psycop 7, and so I decided to re-read this one. And I'm so happy to see that my original feelings about the book haven't changed a whit. It's still a feel-good, fun, happy read that I fell in love with all over again. I love Jake's character. He reminds me of an overgrown puppy who is just full of energy and love and happiness. It's awesome.

Original review:
I loved this story. Jake and Parker were great. And I loved the whol
Dreamer
Amusing tale of a rising rock band, in particular gay bass-guitarist Jake and his growing attraction to lead guitar Parker. Mostly dialogue and blogging, no great plot, quite a long wait for the smexiness to begin.

'Jake couldn't help himself. The second the door closed, he had Parker shoved up against it, hand fisting in his hair, knee slotting between his legs in those butter-soft jeans. His mouth was on Parker's before either of them could say a word, licking at the seam of his lips, and Parke
R.B.
I love when I finish reading the book with satisfied smile on my face. This book was so good! Romantic and fun! Oh, I'm gushing... others are here to write reviews ;-)
Susan
BR with Karlijn and Elsbeth

I have no idea what happened here. I was under the impression this re-read was going to be good. I gave the book 4 stars the first time I read it. Had to be good, right?

Not so much the second time. I was pretty bored and wanted more romance than this book provided. When I was halfway through I just started skimming.

description

Jake and his band need a new guitarist and when Parker walks up to them to ask directions but ends up auditioning, the problem is solved.

Jake and
  • Conquest (Conquest, #1)
  • The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1)
  • Moonlight Becomes You (Lucky Moon, #1)
  • The Curtis Reincarnation
  • I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier
  • Metal Heart
  • Gasp!
  • Where the Allegheny Meets the Monongahela
Ashlyn Kane is a Canadian expat currently enjoying work-at-home life in Germany. She has reached an age she feels most comfortable identifying as "twentysomething," and it will probably stay that way for the next fifteen years or so.

She has a bad habit of staying up too late, a husband who likes to go to bed early, and a baby brother called Miracle Whip. She is allergic to cleaning, unless you mea
More about Ashlyn Kane...
Winging It Hair of the Dog Hard Feelings Return to Sender A Good Vintage

“I know,” he said, very softly. “Let’s go home. Let’s go home, and you can tell me whatever you want, and I’ll believe you.” 16 likes
“Pantycount for the evening is: 10 thongs, 2 boy shorts, 3 bikini briefs, 1 pair boxer shorts (represent!). There’s also something we can’t identify which may or may not be some type of bondage gear. You guys are awesome.” 15 likes