Start by marking “Slinky Malinki Catflaps” as Want to Read:
Slinky Malinki Catflaps

Slinky Malinki Catflaps (Hairy Maclary #11)

Slinky Malinki Catflaps is a hilarious rhyming story by Lynley Dodd.

Slinky Malinki wakes from a cosy sleep, stretches and slips out through the catflap and into the night. He's soon joined by his friends Greywacke Jones, Butterball Brown, the Poppadum kittens and the rest of the gang. Hobnobbing happily on the wall,ten in a row, the cats are disturbed by the crotchety Scar
Published 2000 by Puffin Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Slinky Malinki Catflaps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slinky Malinki Catflaps

Jack Kirby and the X-man
Lynley Dodd certainly loves her dogs. The Hairy Maclary series shows such affection to dogs - and highlights the infinite variations in the different breeds of dog - from Hercules Morse through to Schnitzel von Krumm. She doesn't seem to have the same affection for cats - recall the antagonist from the original book was a cat - Scarface Claw.

This book continues this relationship. I haven't read the original Slinky Malinki - so I may be missing something - but it appears Slinky Malinki has 10 cat
Becky B
Slinki Malinki is joined outside by eight other cats in the middle of the night. They are having a nice time, until up comes a tenth cat, the nasty Scarface Claw, who sets them to yowling so all the humans get upset.

So that's why those cats were howling the other night...ok, so maybe it wasn't Slinki Malinki in the flesh, but this could be a good story for kids who are upset by cat fight sounds in the night. (No scratches or injuries are incurred in the story, just lots of yowling.) Also a good
Emkoshka
My favourite of the Slinky Malinki books, for its depiction of cat nightlife, which I've heard but still always wondered about. Lovely illustrations of Slinky and his elegant cat posse make this the perfect book for cat lovers. :) And yes, my family's own cats have invited their own friends in through a window just like Slinky does with his friends through the cat flap. Free food! Free cuddles!
Katherine
Another instalment of Slinky Malinki, beloved house cat by day, mischief-maker-in-chief at night. This time Slinky meets up with the other cats in the neighbourhood and the beautiful illustrations of cats lined up in the moonlight provide an excellent opportunity to practice counting skills. But Slinky isn't the biggest villain in the village, enter Scarface Claw. Delightful and amusing with beautifully observed pictures.
Audra
Feb 08, 2010 Audra rated it liked it
A cute little children's story - somewhat T.S. Eliot-esque, but pared down for very young readers. The rhythm is not as straightforward as I would have liked... my luck with rhyming books lately illustrates why the industry advice on rhyming books is not to write them, if you can at all help it. But this rhyming book is better than most, and the sweet little cat story redeems it. Lovely book.
Carol
Apr 06, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
Dodd's illustrations in the book are wonderful, especially her cover illustration. I would love to have that one hanging in my grand daughter's room. She loves this book perhaps even a bit more than Harry Maclary.
Allyson Foster
Jul 09, 2011 Allyson Foster rated it really liked it
I think we have all the Hairy Mclary and friends books some standout more than others. This one is beautiful, the rhyming is great and the nightime illustrations are beautiful. My favorite page is the last one, who is that peeking in the shadows? What is going to happend next???
Denise
Aug 08, 2013 Denise rated it it was amazing
My five year old son gave this an amazing rating because of "the cats". It is a fun book to read with fun pictures and we could even get some counting practice in. Make sure and look everywhere and count a few times on the last page.
Christiane
Aug 07, 2013 Christiane rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I like all the Slinky Malinki (cat) and Hairy Maclary (dog) books. They are rhyming and fun to read! The library just received a bunch of new copies, so if you've never seen them (they're mostly from the 1980s, and I think were out of print in the US for a while) now is the time!
Jessica
Jun 19, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I love this book, I read it to the little guy I nanny for all the time. It is so fun. His parents say it's not available in the Unites States, which makes me sad cause I want a copy. I haven't looked though so who knows though.
Rachel
Aug 28, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Mimicking Hairy Maclary From Donaldson's Dairy, Catflaps proceeds with Slinky going on a walk and being joined by the other cats. Also similar is that Scarface has a part in ending there trek too.
Shahrun
Sep 09, 2016 Shahrun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic rhythm and rhyme tell the story of these felines. Accompanied of course but the usual fabulous illustrations, that I know and love from this talented author.
Kimberly
I loved this book, it has great rhythm and illustrations. My 3 year old daughter chose this book and I'm so glad she did, we all enjoyed it.
Suzanne
Nov 10, 2011 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A most charming kitty tale with wonderfully atmospheric illustrations the author perfectly captures the moonlit cat world.
Claudine Wargel
Claudine Wargel rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Fiona
Dec 25, 2014 Fiona rated it liked it
Nail biting and poetic adventure of friends in the night. Epic.
Cathy
Cathy rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Norma
Norma rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2011
Laryssa Polika-engle
Laryssa Polika-engle rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Gabby
Gabby rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2008
Pens
Pens rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2015
Cat Barrett
Cat Barrett rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Maryanne
Maryanne rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
May 07, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2012
§ Tesla
§ Tesla rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Gypsy
Gypsy rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
Bella Hynds
Bella Hynds rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2013
Amelia
Amelia rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Tabby McTat
  • The Very Brave Bear
  • Not Last Night But the Night Before
  • Stone Soup
  • Sir Cumference and the Viking's Map (Charlesbridge Math Adventures (Paperback))
  • Big Tracks, Little Tracks: Following Animal Prints
  • What Will the Weather Be?
  • Flash, Crash, Rumble, and Roll
  • Ella Takes The Cake
  • Oh Say Can You Say What's the Weather Today?: All About Weather
  • One Is a Snail, Ten Is a Crab: A Counting by Feet Book
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Programmed
  • Multiplying Menace: The Revenge of Rumpelstiltskin
  • We All Went On Safari
  • My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes
Lynley Dodd is New Zealand's bestselling children's author/artist. Her rhyming picture books featuring the irresistible Hairy Maclary, Slinky Malinki and friends are firm favourites, especially for reading aloud, all over the world.

THE BASICS
Born: Rotorua, New Zealand, July 5th 1941
Jobs: Art Teacher
Lives: Tauranga, New Zealand
First Book: My Cat Likes To Hide in Boxes, 1974

THE BOOKS
Lynley Dodd grad
More about Lynley Dodd...

Hairy Maclary (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • Hairy Maclary's Bone
  • Hairy Maclary Scattercat
  • Hairy Maclary's Caterwaul Caper
  • Hairy Maclary's Rumpus at the Vet (Picture Puffin)
  • Slinky Malinki