Black Tooth Grin: The High Life, Good Times, and Tragic End of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  17 reviews
"Black Tooth Grin" is the first biography of Dimebag Darrell Abbott, the revered and influential guitarist for Pantera, who was tragically murdered at the age of 38 by a deranged fan. 16-page b&w photo insert.
Published June 2nd 2009 by Da Capo Press (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Black Tooth Grin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Tooth Grin

Hunger For Knowledge
"Black Tooth Grin" is again one of those biographies I read years ago. I have always been a semi-huge fan of the band Pantera, especially enjoyed Dimebag's riffs great amount of times. I never really know how many panties I should throw in the air when I hear "Cemetery Gates" or "Cowboys From Hell", one pair just doesn't seem quite right for those guitar riffs.

As much as enjoyed this book (and do regret selling my hardcover copy of it) it was not as deep as I had hoped it to be. It indeed was v...more
Adam Light
One of the better rock and roll bio's I have read. I enjoyed this one because I have always been a fan of Dimebag. It brought back a lot of memories. I haven't read the one by Rex Brown, but it's on my list to read. Curious to see the difference.
This was very informative and filled with a lot of insights into the Abbott's family life and the crazy, intense party that Darrell brought with him wherever he went. Good stuff. Such a pity how it all ended.
Jarrett
I was really looking forward to reading this as Darrell was my largest guitar inspiration growing up. I mean seeing my buddy playing a "DimeSlime" green Washburn Dimebag Darrell signature model is what made me want to play guitar in the first place!

What I always loved about the articles and interviews I read about him was that not only was he one of the best guitarists in the last 30 years, but he had a big heart. The man loved to party, loved the guitar, and loved his fans. I really enjoyed how...more
Crystal Moore
I gave this book a 3 star rating.

If your really in to Pantera,read this book. its good for what it is. It skips around alot. I t seems that ive heard most of these stories in interviews over the years. I am a Pantera / Dime fan. I also read Rex Brown's book 101 proof, That's a really good read, to hear about the interworkings, the highs and lows the undoing of one of the greatest heavy metal bands in the world. This is Rexs story, but Rex was in the band.
Ian Mcsorley
The book was cool about how he was just some normal kid in Texas then some guitar whiz to then famous member in Pnatera then to being gunned down on stage. It wasn't cool of him being killed but he is a great musican. I actually made a video yesterday TO THE 6th anniversery of his death which I shall post on facebook. Also I havent fully read the book so hopefully I will buy it then make that my reading book. Getcha pull.
Deyara
Made me sad all over again reading this, and I've been cranking the Pantera for days. Quite informative and well-written, while it wasnt warts-and-all, it did seem to capture some of the essence that came across in interviews and the videos. Well worth the read.
Chuck
This was a really good bio about Dimebag. I'm given it four stars because I couldn't put it down. Fans should definitely read this. Much better than Rex's book.
Daniel DeLappe
Very shallow book about a pretty much shallow drunken git. Would have liked to learn more about dimebag, but may not be much there to begin with,
Justin Sylvia
All things considering...that is to say that i didn't & still don't know a whole lot of about the heavy metal apocalypse that was Pantera, i still found this to be a good & Intriguing book. What i didn't know about Pantera as a bad & Dimebag Darrell, i certainly know now. I will admit that their style of metal isn't exactly within range of my taste but i do have 2 of their cd's, Vulgar Display of Power & Reinventing the Steel, on my Ipod, now i may not listen to them very often,...more
Janne Paananen
Ymmärrettävästi tässä elämänkerrassa paneudutaan Dimebagin elämään ja kuolemaan. Ja onkin varsin mielenkiintoista lukea kohtuullisen tarkka selostus vuoden 2004 tylyistä tapahtumista ja sitä edeltävistä hilpeistä ajoista. Hieman olisin kaivannut kuitenkin syvempää rouhaisua Panterasta ja Damageplanista. Niiltä osin kirja jää valitettavan pinnalliseksi raapaisuksi. Yhtkä kaikki, viihdyttävä ja nopeasti luettu elämänkerta.
Janine
I enjoyed this book, it made me happy sad. Dime was amazing and I think this book is a great reminder.
I felt a little let down as I thought a lot of the information was from interviews or pantera videos. I was expecting more.
Brett
Sep 14, 2010 Brett marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book may be unautorized but it gave me even further insight on one of my all-time favorite musicians. I enthusiastically blew through this book in a few days. Some of the details I could tell teh author got just from watching Pantera's infamous Vulgar Videos but the book was still informitive.
Paul French
After years of guitar magazine interviews with Darrell over the years, there was lots in here that I knew already, but much more new information than I expected. A great tribute and remembrance of Dime's life and his devotion to playing guitar, which were pretty much the same thing.
merritt
I have to hand it to Zac, I never thought I'd care a lick about Dimebag, Pantera or Damageplan. But the flow and the style of his writing did so much to pull me in.

It made for a very interesting book club meeting!
Rafael
I think this is a really good book about the biography of this great guitarist. Zac did a good job doing this biography, the biography is very complete and specific.
Tyler G
The guy just lived to play great guitar and kick ass music. Good read.
Corey
Corey is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Crystal Moore
Crystal Moore marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Jolene
Jolene marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Jakey Fizzo
Jakey Fizzo marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

“One cannot become a saint when one works sixteen hours a day.” JEAN-PAUL SARTRE” 0 likes