Start by marking “Black Tooth Grin: The High Life, Good Times, and Tragic End of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott” as Want to Read:

"Black Tooth Grin" is the first biography of Dimebag Darrell Abbott, the revered and influential guitarist for Pantera, who was tragically murdered at the age of 38 by a deranged fan. 16-page b&w photo insert.
Published June 2nd 2009 by Da Capo Press (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Black Tooth Grin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Tooth Grin

Adam Light
Nov 05, 2013 Adam Light rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better rock and roll bio's I have read. I enjoyed this one because I have always been a fan of Dimebag. It brought back a lot of memories. I haven't read the one by Rex Brown, but it's on my list to read. Curious to see the difference.
This was very informative and filled with a lot of insights into the Abbott's family life and the crazy, intense party that Darrell brought with him wherever he went. Good stuff. Such a pity how it all ended.
Jarrett
Jun 18, 2011 Jarrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to reading this as Darrell was my largest guitar inspiration growing up. I mean seeing my buddy playing a "DimeSlime" green Washburn Dimebag Darrell signature model is what made me want to play guitar in the first place!

What I always loved about the articles and interviews I read about him was that not only was he one of the best guitarists in the last 30 years, but he had a big heart. The man loved to party, loved the guitar, and loved his fans. I really enjoyed how
Crystal Moore
I gave this book a 3 star rating.

If your really in to Pantera,read this book. its good for what it is. It skips around alot. I t seems that ive heard most of these stories in interviews over the years. I am a Pantera / Dime fan. I also read Rex Brown's book 101 proof, That's a really good read, to hear about the interworkings, the highs and lows the undoing of one of the greatest heavy metal bands in the world. This is Rexs story, but Rex was in the band.
Ian Mcsorley
Dec 09, 2010 Ian Mcsorley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was cool about how he was just some normal kid in Texas then some guitar whiz to then famous member in Pnatera then to being gunned down on stage. It wasn't cool of him being killed but he is a great musican. I actually made a video yesterday TO THE 6th anniversery of his death which I shall post on facebook. Also I havent fully read the book so hopefully I will buy it then make that my reading book. Getcha pull.
Deyara
Oct 29, 2011 Deyara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, biography
Made me sad all over again reading this, and I've been cranking the Pantera for days. Quite informative and well-written, while it wasnt warts-and-all, it did seem to capture some of the essence that came across in interviews and the videos. Well worth the read.
Daniel DeLappe
Very shallow book about a pretty much shallow drunken git. Would have liked to learn more about dimebag, but may not be much there to begin with,
Chuck
Nov 03, 2013 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good bio about Dimebag. I'm given it four stars because I couldn't put it down. Fans should definitely read this. Much better than Rex's book.
Enrique Juan
Nov 24, 2016 Enrique Juan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rock
A very intimate and candid portrait of the late great Dimebag Darrell, one of the most gifted guitar players in the history of heavy music, who was taken from us way too soon.
Sharon
Oct 09, 2016 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend
Justin Sylvia
All things considering...that is to say that i didn't & still don't know a whole lot of about the heavy metal apocalypse that was Pantera, i still found this to be a good & Intriguing book. What i didn't know about Pantera as a bad & Dimebag Darrell, i certainly know now. I will admit that their style of metal isn't exactly within range of my taste but i do have 2 of their cd's, Vulgar Display of Power & Reinventing the Steel, on my Ipod, now i may not listen to them very often, ...more
Pappy
Jun 15, 2015 Pappy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book. While it does go into drinking stories a bit much, it's hard to deny that drinking played a big role in Dimebag's life. The stories all made me want to practice more, play more, write more, and be a better person. All because of stories of Dime. That's a pretty great book.

I also like how much attention was paid toward his guitars. You don't see that very often since they're for a niche market, but Dime was a guitarist before he was a drinker and it's represents nicely.

Overall
Janne Paananen
Feb 16, 2011 Janne Paananen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ymmärrettävästi tässä elämänkerrassa paneudutaan Dimebagin elämään ja kuolemaan. Ja onkin varsin mielenkiintoista lukea kohtuullisen tarkka selostus vuoden 2004 tylyistä tapahtumista ja sitä edeltävistä hilpeistä ajoista. Hieman olisin kaivannut kuitenkin syvempää rouhaisua Panterasta ja Damageplanista. Niiltä osin kirja jää valitettavan pinnalliseksi raapaisuksi. Yhtkä kaikki, viihdyttävä ja nopeasti luettu elämänkerta.
merritt
Mar 17, 2010 merritt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to hand it to Zac, I never thought I'd care a lick about Dimebag, Pantera or Damageplan. But the flow and the style of his writing did so much to pull me in.

It made for a very interesting book club meeting!
Brett
Sep 14, 2010 Brett marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book may be unautorized but it gave me even further insight on one of my all-time favorite musicians. I enthusiastically blew through this book in a few days. Some of the details I could tell teh author got just from watching Pantera's infamous Vulgar Videos but the book was still informitive.
Paul French
Aug 11, 2013 Paul French rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After years of guitar magazine interviews with Darrell over the years, there was lots in here that I knew already, but much more new information than I expected. A great tribute and remembrance of Dime's life and his devotion to playing guitar, which were pretty much the same thing.
Janine
Mar 24, 2014 Janine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, it made me happy sad. Dime was amazing and I think this book is a great reminder.
I felt a little let down as I thought a lot of the information was from interviews or pantera videos. I was expecting more.
Haley
Dec 21, 2015 Haley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book because Dimebag is my idol and everything about him is awesome. The book was written well.
Amandae Melton
Sep 24, 2015 Amandae Melton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a gread book. easy to read and kept you interested. made you feel like you really knew Dime and like you were there his last night. I recommend this book for any Dimebag or Pantera fan.
Rafael
Feb 03, 2011 Rafael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a really good book about the biography of this great guitarist. Zac did a good job doing this biography, the biography is very complete and specific.
Nico
Nico rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Ole Kristian
Ole Kristian rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2016
Marc Davidson
Marc Davidson rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Mitch
Mitch rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Liam
Liam rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Vikki
Vikki rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2011
Jussi
Jussi rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Lola
Lola rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2012
William
William rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Jill Carte
Jill Carte rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2013
  • Eddie Trunk's Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal
  • Rock Bottom: Dark Moments in Music Babylon
  • Run to the Hills: Iron Maiden, the Authorized Biography
  • Jimi Hendrix: A Brother's Story
  • Bringing Metal to the Children: The Complete Berserker's Guide to World Tour Domination
  • Mick Jagger
  • Ministry: The Lost Gospels According to Al Jourgensen
  • Heavy Metal: The Music and Its Culture
  • AC/DC: Maximum Rock & Roll: The Ultimate Story of the World’s Greatest Rock-and-Roll Band
  • Official Truth, 101 Proof: The Inside Story of Pantera
  • Alice Cooper, Golf Monster: A Rock 'n' Roller's 12 Steps to Becoming a Golf Addict
  • Layne Staley: Angry Chair: A Look Inside the Heart & Soul of an Incredible Musician--
  • Kate Bush: The Biography
  • Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir

“One cannot become a saint when one works sixteen hours a day.” JEAN-PAUL SARTRE” 0 likes