3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,865 ratings  ·  173 reviews
Two powerful and unforgettable stories from the Number One bestselling author

Girl in the Mirror

Lila knows how lucky she is to have found the man of her dreams. But when a secret from her family's past comes to light on her wedding day, her destiny changes in the most unexpected of ways ...

The Memory Maker

They say you never forget your first love. But what happens when thos...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Harper Torch

To ask other readers questions about Girl in the Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl in the Mirror

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuirePerfect Chemistry by Simone ElkelesCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaRules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles
Best Chick-Lit I've Ever Read
344th out of 971 books — 1,879 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonGirl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Books with 'Girl' in the title
97th out of 483 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Maria Carmo
The book is well written, but the first story left me with an uneasy feeling...
On the one hand, it is difficult to be sure what really happened (with a bit more imagination, almost all possibilities are open for the three beings that were "trapped" in the situation... Jeremy seemed to sense that "something was wrong" - why does he not do something about it? Is it credible that the Grandmother would sacrifice the young man to recover her granddaughter, albeit in a man's body? Why not then change...more
Suad Shamma
Let's just say, I really wasn't impressed with this one. Looking at others' reviews, I see that no one was.

I didn't mind that the book was small, and I would not have minded the cost so much, as long as the content was worth it.

Unfortunately, it really wasn't.

The second story was just so slow - and that's saying something as it was such a short story - and very confusing! The first story started out great, but I think the way it ended was such an anti-climax to the whole build up of it. I was...more
Lisa Williamson
I have to agree with the other comments about this book, I was disappointed. More with the first story, Girl in the Mirror, than with the second.

I was excited to try out Cecelia's short stories having read all her novels, but with the magical worlds she creates for her readers a short story did not give enough time for everything to make sense or for a relationship to be built with her characters. Girl in the Mirror ended far too abruptly and left me feeling confused and wanting to find out exa...more
Julie
Apr 27, 2012 Julie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: låne
I have read almost all of Cecelia Ahern's books, and liked them. They have all had an important message. But these two have been a little harder to figure out. The first one, girl in the mirror, is about vanity and sacrifice. Would you exchange your eyes for freedom? Would you sacrifice a stranger to gain your freedom back? Well, Lila sacrificed a stranger. I don't really no what the point of the story was...

The memory maker was better. There was a point, cherish your memories. Memories fade, an...more
Lauren Fisher
I was very keen to try out Ahern's short stories but I must say whilst I enjoyed the two stories, I was left feeling unsatisfied, not because they were badly written but because the stories were so gripping I wished they were longer! The first story Girl in the Mirror had me hooked in seconds but ended rather abruptly, if this short story was of novel length it could have been twisted in several ways. However saying all that, I was still impressed by Ahern's writing style and can't wait for her...more
Priyanka Bhat
This was my first Cecelia Ahern book. I expected a lot more from it.
The first story, as F***ed up as it is, is relatively haunting.
The second story, on the other hand, is very vague and I guess, one could call it "beautiful" but it's just not my type of book. I like it when the characters are vague not the plot.
So, overall, I did not like the book too much, or rather, I did not like the book at all, and hence I refuse to give it more than one star.
Sara Shaw
I hate myself for reading this. It's so damn creepy
melissa
The first story in this book was haunting. It still sticks with me now, and I find myself constantly still thinking about it. Lila is a young woman we follow, and in part her relationship with her grandmother. A terrible family secret comes to light on the day of her wedding (but it could have easily been any other day). It was creepy, but the wrap up was great and unexpected. Interesting resolution. One of the best short stories I have read in a long time.

I have to say, I may have enjoyed the s...more
Kristiana Alex
Útlá knížečka Dívka za zrcadlem obsahuje dvě povídky. První, stejnojmennou a druhou s názvem Přístroj na vzpomínky. Každá povídka je jiná, nicméně obě pojednávají o prchavosti momentů v lidském životě, zničených jediným chybným rozhodnutím.

Dívka za zrcadlem je nádherný příběh s tajuplnými černě zahalenými zrcadly v domě staré nevidomé ženy. Její vnučka Lila celý život dodržuje přísný zákaz podívat se do zrcadla v tomto starém domě, a jen tajně vcházela do zapovězeného pokoje. V den své svatby a...more
Rahmadiyanti
2,5 stars.

Medium cerpen mungkin cenderung kurang leluasa bagi sebagian penulis dalam mengeksplor cerita. Meski begitu tak sedikit cerpen-cerpen dahsyat yang lahir dari "keterbatasan" medium itu.

Cecelia Ahern adalah salah satu penulis novel yang saya suka. Ide ceritanya mungkin biasa, tapi dia bisa mengambil angle yang menarik dengan gaya penceritaan yang indah dan cukup mengaduk emosi (especially di novel PS I Love You, Where Rainbow Ends, dan If You Could See Me Now).

Dua cerpennya dalam buku...more
V H
There were two short stories in this one book: "Girl in the Mirror" and "The Memory Maker". Both had the typical magic of Ahern's books, and also made me think a lot.

"Girl in the Mirror" was a lot darker and more sad than I can remember any other of Ahern's book having been. It was almost like a scary ghost story.

"The Memory Maker" was rather thought provoking.

Both stories were really good, I was worried when I picked it up that I would want them to be longer, that it would be too short when i...more
Books should never be this small, the story was over far too quickly. the first story I found to be very odd, set up mystery and then was sudden and confusing and the ending was rubbish too. Suprisingly Im still able to look into mirrors. The second story was more my thing but again I felt as though the story was rushed and unexplained. Glad I borrowed it from my local library!
Evi
I love Cecelia Ahern! Her stories are always so magical, which is no different in the two short stories. I was gutted it was over so quickly though :( I would like "Girl in the mirror" to have been a proper novel, just so I could enjoy the mystery & magic even longer!
Eiju adnan
Contains two story, girl in the mirror and the memory maker. Both are good, I somehow wanted to know or end the story of girl in the mirror with my own imagination.. :D A must read book! :)
Ralitsa  Koleva
I’ve read most of Cecelia’s books. And I love every single one of them. Every book gave me something to think about. But this one… It was quite a disappointment.

The first story “Girl in the mirror” was absolutely weak. There had no logic, no reasonable ending, nothing. It was just… I don’t know even what it was.

"The Memory Maker" at least have some depth. It had one of those little messages which Cecilia’s books usually bring to the world. But still the story was boring.

God I never thought I wou...more
Eli
er die Bücher von Cecelia Ahern kennt, weiss auf welch magische Art und Weise sie schreiben kann.
Da sie sonst immer Romane schreibt, war ich gespannt was sie so alles in eine Kurzgeschichte packen konnte. Und glaubt mir da hat so einiges Platz!

Die zwei Gesichten: Eine über einen Mann, der eine Maschine erfunden hat um Erinnerungen aufzurufen oder neue zu erschaffen und eine Geschichte über ein junges Mädchen, dass kurz vor der Hochzeit steht doch vorher ein schreckliches Schicksal erleidet.

Beide...more
Naomi Nair
How important is freedom? Do we value freedom enough to sacrifice our eyes in exchange for it? Is freedom so important that we are willing to sacrifice another human being? This forms the backdrop for Cecelia Ahern’s latest book – The Girl in the Mirror. A dark and poignant story revolving round Lila and her grandmother, Ellie or Grellie, as she is fondly called. I confess I found the book very confusing at first! I kept thinking “What is the message she is trying to convey?” I was put off by th...more
Lauren Crossley
I'm mainly going to be referring to the first story 'Girl In the Mirror' when I review this book because that's the one that I gave the five stars to. I first read this book a couple of years ago and I remember telling my mum and my boyfriend how phenomenal it was. I couldn't get it out of my head for the rest of the day and I was on my way out to dinner with my boyfriend and ALL I kept talking about was this book! He asked me why it affected me so deeply and what it was about. Well, I told him...more
Bettina
Kayleigh {K-Books}
i was really expecting more from this book.
it was very short, only 89 pages and had two stories in.

the first, the girl in the mirror, followed lila who lived with her grandmother as a child who was blind and afraid of mirrors. she kept all the mirrors covered with black cloth even though she couldn't see. years later on the morning of lila's wedding she uncovers one of the mirrors and touches it, afterwards she finds herself dragged into the mirror with no return.
In the second, the memory maker,...more
Maria
Com uma capa absolutamente cativante, lindíssima, tentadora, A Rapariga e o Espelho de Cecelia Ahern é um pequeno livro que contém dois contos fantásticos que não se conseguem parar de ler. Contos cheios de nostalgia que nos transportam, o primeiro para a nossa infância, para o espaço das brincadeiras, onde os locais secretos e proibidos eram os mais apetecidos e onde íamos sem que ninguém soubesse. Onde uma avó tolerante e bondosa acabava por fazer-nos todas as vontades, os doces que gostávamos...more
PiMi
Rezension PiMi:

Das Buch besteht wie der Titel schon verrät aus zwei Kurzgeschichten.
In der ersten „Das Lächeln der Erinnerung“ geht es um eine Maschine die von den Menschen gehasst und gleichzeitig geliebt wird, denn sie kann neue Erinnerungen schaffen. Ihr Erfinder hatte gar keine bösen Absichten als er die Maschine konstruierte, er wollte einfach Freude schenken und hat dabei in erster Linie an seine eigenen Erinnerungen gedacht, die ein wenig aufgebessert werden sollten.
In der zweiten Geschic...more
Brina
Nachdem ich von "Ein Moment fürs Leben" sehr enttäuscht war, war ich bei "Solange du mich siehst" zunächst recht skeptisch. Da Cecelia Ahern allerdings zu meinen absoluten Lieblingsautorinnen gehört, musste ich gar nicht lange darüber nachdenken und habe diesem Buch eine Chance gegeben.

Leider ist auch dieses Buch, das zwei Kurzgeschichten enthält, nur mittelmäßig. Langsam stelle ich mir ernsthaft die Frage, ob Cecelia Ahern die Ideen ausgehen oder sie keinen Spaß mehr am Schreiben hat. Der Char...more
Marga
The first story was really good... it caught me right away especially with the mystery of the mirrors being draped over. This is one of those stories that are best told if rushed and that I love it even more that I didn't feel like it was. It just moved with the pace that I want the events to happen and when it was over I was completely shocked. I wanted more...

You see, I did not read the plot of this book. I just saw the incredibly beautiful cover and title and just read it right away. I didn'...more
Inês
Sou suspeita para falar dos livros de Cecelia Ahern já que sou uma grande fã dela... Já tinha lido o P.S. Eu Amo-te, Para Sempre, Talvez e Um Lugar Chamado Aqui (cujas opiniões publico brevemente) e todos têm o seu toque de magia e fantasia, mas este foi diferente... Neste livro Cecelia Ahern levou a magia a outro patamar. O livro é dividido em dois contos: a Rapariga e o Espelho e a Máquina de Recordações.
O primeiro conto fez-me ficar com medo de me olhar ao espelho e passo a explicar: Lila est...more
Juliet
A very thin book with 2 short stories. Personally I felt that this book is more meant for kids and teens rather than adults. There are pictures in the books that matches the storyline.

I prefer the first story, Girl in the Mirror, rather than the second story, The Memory Maker.

(view spoiler)...more
Henna
I've given up on fully making sense/ understanding everything that happens in Cecelia Ahern's books. Don't get me wrong - she's one of my favourite writers - I just don't feel the need to reason everything in her books, and I like it that way.

This one however... I don't know what I feel. I wanted to read this book for the longest time, and I may have built it to higher expectations that I should have. The first story, Girl in the Mirror, was almost like a horror story to me, and the ending can b...more
Malin
This book contains two short stories. I will tell my opinion on them individually.

Girl In The Mirror:
It started off as sort of a childrens story...or so I thought. It was darker than I had imagined and it was kind of thrilling. I really liked it. But although the ending wasn't sad, it was still a bit depressing. Would not your loved one really know? That was a bit sad. But which other way could it have ended?

The Memory Maker:
The machine, the memory maker, felt like something out of a dream. It...more
Christie
I picked this book up because I have loved all of Cecelia Ahern's novels, I had not read any of her short stories. After this book, I think I will stick with her novels from now on. Its not that the stories were horrible, they were just short (yes I know that is the definition of a short story). The stories felt rushed and were confusing. It was hard to tell what was going on, especially in the first story. The second one was much better but still a bit hard to read. I don't usually read short s...more
Helene Harrison
ISBN? - 9780007425037

Genre? - Drama

Characters? - Mary / Ellie / Jeremy / Jack / Judith Henderson / Lila

Setting? - England

Series? - N/A

Title? - The Girl in the Mirror comes from the conclusion to the first story (without ruining too much!)

Character Analysis? - It was so sad that a woman getting reading for her wedding then had to watch someone else marry the man she loves and she could do nothing about it. The characters in the second story were rather dull, however.

General Comments? - I just fin...more
  • Mammy Walsh's A-Z of the Walsh Family (Walsh Family, #6)
  • Before I Forget
  • The Wish List
  • The Chocolate Run
  • Life as I Know It
  • In My Sister's Shoes
Cecelia Ahern was born on September 30, 1981 in Dublin, Ireland. She is the daughter of the former Irish Taoiseach Bertie Ahern. On 14th December 2009 it was announced that Cecelia had given birth to her first child with partner David Keoghan, a girl named Robin. She was secretly married on 11 June 2010 in County Kildare, Ireland. Her older sister, Georgina Ahern is married to Nicky Byrne of Irish...more
More about Cecelia Ahern...
P.S. I Love You Love, Rosie Thanks for the Memories If You Could See Me Now The Book of Tomorrow