Start by marking “The Amen Solution: The Brain Healthy Way to Lose Weight and Keep It Off” as Want to Read:
The Amen Solution: The Brain Healthy Way to Lose Weight and Keep It Off

The Amen Solution: The Brain Healthy Way to Lose Weight and Keep It Off

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  257 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
A breakthrough, easy-to-follow brain-based program to lose weight and keep it off—for the rest of your life—from the bestselling author of Change Your Brain, Change Your Body, Magnificent Mind at Any Age, and Change Your Brain, Change Your Life

Have you tried diet after diet without success? Want to know the two major secrets why most diets don’t work?

The #1 secret is that
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published February 15th 2011 by Random House Audio (first published February 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Amen Solution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amen Solution

Sep 28, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
I found this book informative and motivating to make some positive health changes in my life. I don't know much about SPECT brain images, and I noticed that there are some websites accusing Amen of being a quack or a scam. Even if all of the SPECT image info was dropped from the book, his nutrition information corresponds to what I've read in many other books about the relationship between a healthy brain and overall wellness. His advice for supplements matched my own doctor's advice after a ser ...more
Lisa
Feb 02, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I saw Dr. Amen on PBS one day and was immediately sucked in to his seminar on the brain and losing weight. This book fascinated me because it it correlated bad habits (mainly due to eating/diet) with problems in certain parts of the brain and it just made total sense to me. The book has you figure out your "brain type" and the type of eater you are, and then he suggests exercises, supplements, and other ways to improve that part of your brain. I like that as a doctor he admits that you should al ...more
Marissa Morrison
This book contains a questionnaire to help readers learn which brain dysfunctions they have, and Amen provides specific weight management guidelines for each brain type. Other useful things in this book include a template for day-to-day weight-loss record keeping, a list of foods that are healthy for both body and brain, and a bunch of little tips titled "Two Hundred Ways To Leave Your Blubber Behind."

Everything here seems medically sound and simple enough.
Jayson Graves
Apr 02, 2015 Jayson Graves rated it it was amazing
We have been using Dr. Amen's supplements for years with great success personally and with our counseling clients.You can use our affiliate code for a 15% discount at AmenClinics.com on all supplements and products: ECENTER4
Kathleen
Mar 02, 2015 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous book about how to eat (diet) healthy for a healthy body and brain that along the way will help you lose weight too. I really liked Dr Amen's approach to the diet. And the research studies that he inserts as well as people's experiences with the diet approach.

There's a brain type test to determine what specific diet foods and supplements are needed that I couldn't really do with the audio book. So I've ordered the hardback and can't wait to see what my brain type is to enhance
Kathy
Mar 31, 2013 Kathy rated it liked it
Interesting stuff. Rather self-righteous tone. Information presented in way too many long lists.
Mallory
Aug 29, 2012 Mallory rated it it was ok
Some good advice in here, although most of the lists are so long that when you are listening to it in the car it's hard to concentrate on it and I ended up skipping a lot of chapters when he started getting to his 56th point with no end was in sight. I think it would have been better to include the appendixes as a pdf file rather than reading out long lists of foods.

The Amen solution isn't as forgiving as most other diet books - for Amen it's all or nothing. He said he doesn't believe in "every
Jay
Apr 30, 2012 Jay rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
If you've read other Amen books you'll find a lot of familiar territory covered in this one. Whole chapters on supplements and exercises for brain health seem to have been lifted from Amen's "Magnificent Mind for Any Age" and placed in this one -- at least he appears to be consistent in his recommendations. His take on weight loss starts from the way the brain works, as you would expect given his background. Certainly contained some interesting ideas, but there were plenty of the expected ideas ...more
Denise
May 06, 2013 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title of this book sounds like SUCH BS, but I've worked with kids who have had brain scans done at Amen clinics, and it really is fascinating the kinds of things that can go on in your brain and how they can affect your behavior. I liked that he explored how there are different issues that make people overweight--it's not always poor impulse control or bad self-esteem or whatever--and provided strategies (including brain-healthy foods, relaxation techniques, and other interesting practical i ...more
Adrienna
It was okay read, and basics I already read in other weight loss solution books.

I did like the reward yourself with 5 lbs weight loss. I did do the questions in the back to see my brain type, etc. and will take a mental note to get back on track.

Leisure read 2015
Westminster Library
This author has turned my world upside down in a great way. Dr. Amen looks at personality types with the realization that not one diet will work for everyone. Enjoyable and educational are just the least of the compliments these author’s work deserves. My strongest recommendation is to listen or read one of the many books this doctor has written to improve your life.

Find my link text at Westminster Public Library today!
Barbara
May 08, 2016 Barbara rated it liked it
I saw Daniel Amen on PBS . He was very interesting so I thought I'd read one of his many books. Some interesting concepts for weight loss. I thought I heard them all. Might give them a try.
Marjorie Turner
Nov 06, 2014 Marjorie Turner rated it liked it
So interesting to think about my brain type (not what I thought), and how important our thoughts are ("kill the ANTs" - automatic negative thoughts). I like that he relies on science. He is providing the science on topics I've believed for decades - but are new age and disregarded because of that.
Jan
Feb 20, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Slightly different twist--wish there were more stats as to his successes rather than a few clinical super successes.
Jessietaylortanner
Mar 20, 2011 Jessietaylortanner rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, diet, 2011
I have read two of his other books and find it all fascinating. Truly a holistic approach for your whole life, working with your brain which controls every aspect of our lives and bodies. Using his advised method of eating real food, restricting calories, exercising, taking supplements, etc. he outlines a real, practical whole-life approach to battling obesity, sickness and depression. Practical, realistic methods that require a real change of heart and dedication; these methods are more difficu ...more
Stephanie Turri
Apr 24, 2016 Stephanie Turri rated it liked it
There was some new information about how certain food affects the body, some information has been known for a while. The major drawback was that there were too many "refer to my website" and "join our website" that made it feel like an infomercial at times.
Thomas
Sep 27, 2013 Thomas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author didn't seem to advocate anything that was much different from all the other dieting/weight loss/nutrition books you see nowadays. His angle was that he concentrated on the nutrients that affected different parts of the brain. In this respect, his approach was different. He advocates a lifestyle change (as do the other "successful" weight loss books). Since I need to lose some weight myself, I'll reserve final judgement until I give it a try.
Andie
Finally a book to explain why I haven't had much success with losing weight! After reading the book, I'm not taking supplements and eating "brain" foods and I feel a HUGE difference in the way my brain and body behave. I can't wait to get the cook book so that I can seriously continue my food changes to feed my brain, which will in turn allow me to lose the weight in a smart and healthy way.
Judy
Mar 20, 2011 Judy rated it it was ok
Mostly skimmed. A lot of common sense stuff. Most helpful chapters to me were 5 & 6, Brain Supplements & Conquering Cravings. Also helpful was Appendix B - 200 tips to lose weight. A good way to find his recommended supplements is to visit his website, http://www.amenclinics.com/brain-scie...
Linda
Jan 08, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
Need to purchase this book so I can take my time and peruse over it. I am implementing some of what I've read, but need to go back and highlight things that were important. Was a library book, and I don't think they would've taken to kind to me highlighting their book :) Checking it out on Amazon!
Dawn
Nov 08, 2012 Dawn marked it as didn-t-finish
Shelves: health-welness
I love Dr. Amen for brain health. His first book helped put me in a better place. However, I am not overweight, I am looking for a more health filled life, so most of what I was reading did not apply. There just was not enough of his brain stuff in this book for me to read all of it.
Mylo
Jun 29, 2013 Mylo rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Most of the stuff in here for weight loss has been already been said a million different ways. The quiz gives you an insight on how your brain may work. I started on the vitamins specified for me and I feel wonderful. Weird but true.
Brandy
Mar 23, 2011 Brandy rated it liked it
Lots of excellent tips, particularly with regard to natural supplements to enhance weight loss and encourage overall health. Great resource to help determine what kind of "eater" you are and thus how to best respond to your particular issues.
Belann
Jun 05, 2011 Belann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't say that I learned much new in this book. He did have an interesting way to look at the brain chemistry and its involvement in weight loss. Some of those ideas might be useful for some, but I didn't really find anything useful for me.
Linda
Mar 22, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
Very informative book with lots of good nutritional and health facts. Some of the book is just a rehashing of information that is already wildly available. Easy to read and well organized. He does promote some products he has developed.
Jamie Holloway
Jun 07, 2011 Jamie Holloway rated it it was amazing
I love this book. So many great ideas that I plan on implementing into my life style. I did many of them and when I got shopping on Thursday I plan on buying brain healthy foods...
Becky Roper
I've seen the PBS specials a couple of times, so I thought Iwould read the book. It's mostly common sense dieting, but there are some interesting brain study results added in.
Betty McMahon
I didn't "finish" the book, in fact didn't read much of it. But I can't remember how to get it on my "abandoned" bookshelf; just have to get it off my "currently reading" shelf.
Apr 23, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: health, 2014
Good information, However, I listened to the audio book and the reader's voice was extremely annoying to me. I just ended up gritting my teeth and suffered through it.
Deb Ramage
Apr 10, 2016 Deb Ramage rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: condo-library
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  • Sugar Shock!: How Sweets and Simple Carbs Can Derail Your Life-- and How YouCan Get Back on Tr ack
  • The Bumpy Little Pumpkin
  • When I Fall in Love
  • The Serotonin Power Diet: Use Your Brain's Natural Chemistry to Cut Cravings, Curb Emotional Overeating, and Lose Weight
  • When the Brain Can't Hear: Unraveling the Mystery of Auditory Processing Disorder
  • Modesty, Makeovers, and the Pursuit of Physical Beauty: What Mothers and Daughters Need to Know
  • Meals That Heal Inflammation: Embrace Healthy Living and Eliminate Pain, One Meal at a Time
  • She's Gonna Blow!: Real Help for Moms Dealing with Anger
  • Fruit Infused Water - 80 Vitamin Water Recipes for Weight Loss, Health and Detox Cleanse (Vitamin Water, Fruit Infused Water, Natural Herbal Remedies, Detox Diet, Liver Cleanse)
  • Wonder
  • The Thyroid Diet Revolution: Manage Your Master Gland of Metabolism for Lasting Weight Loss
  • Gourmet Nutrition: The Cookbook for the Fit Food Lover
  • Toxic Oil: Why Vegetable Oil Will Kill You And How To Save Yourself
  • The Scientific American Day in the Life of Your Brain: A 24 Hour Journal of What's Happening in Your Brain as You Sleep, Dream, Wake Up, Eat, Work, Play, Fight, Love, Worry, Compete, Hope, Make Important Decisions, Age, and Change
  • Weeping Willow - Part One (Weeping Willow Stories, #1)
  • Eat Well, Eat Happy
  • I Want What She's Having, Now!: Exactly How You Can Be So Hot & Healthy You'll Barely Recognize Yourself
  • Living Paleo for Dummies
Daniel G. Amen, MD is a physician, child and adult psychiatrist, brain imaging specialist, bestselling author, Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and the CEO and medical director of Amen Clinics, Inc. (ACI) in Newport Beach and Fairfield, California, Tacoma, Washington and Reston, Virginia .

ACI is the world leader in applying brain imaging science to clinical practice. AC
More about Daniel G. Amen...