Start by marking “American Vampire, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
American Vampire, Vol. 2

American Vampire, Vol. 2 (American Vampire #2)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,418 Ratings  ·  321 Reviews
While trafficking in a bestselling sub-genre, AMERICAN VAMPIRE introduces a new strain of vampire — a more muscular and vicious species, born of the American West.

In just a few short years, y
Published May 31st 2011 by Vertigo

Dan Schwent
Las Vegas police chief Cash McCogan has a murderer to find and all signs point to Jim Smoke, the man who likely was responsible for the death of McCogan's father. Meanwhile, some mystery men approach Pearl with a deal...

After the thrill ride that was the first American Vampire volume, I was jonesing for more. While this one wasn't quite what I expected, it more than delivered the goods. I like that Pearl wasn't swept under the rug after the first volume and that the series isn't all about Skinne
Kemper
Feb 12, 2012 Kemper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, comics, vampires, 2012
About a hundred people died while building Hoover Dam. After reading this, I have to assume that all of those deaths were due to vampire attacks.

Picking up several years after the last volume, it’s 1935 and a formerly sleepy Nevada town called Las Vegas is booming because of the thousands of workers in the area constructing Hoover Dam. Police chief Cash Morgan doesn’t like what the gambling and prostitution are doing to his city, but there isn’t much he can do to stop it. When a businessman conn
Amanda
Jun 19, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
I suspected this before, but volume 2 in the American Vampire storyline confirms what has now become an inalienable truth: Scott Snyder is a bad ass. And so are his vampires.

In volume 1, we were introduced to Skinner Sweet, the first American Vampire whose accidental creation proved to be a blow against the old school European vampires; Sweet is faster, stronger, and unlike any breed of vampire that came before him. Clearly, there's some symbolism here about America rising out of the outmoded ar
Steve
Feb 26, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it
Skinner Sweet has moved to a booming Las Vegas to make his fortune, and we get introduced to a new character, the police chief of Las Vegas, Cash McCogan. Sweet fits in perfectly in Sin City, and the contrast of character between the do-good police chief and the outlaw vampire providers a great story. We also get a new villain and learn more about the various types of vampires, of which there are many species (who knew?).

The second volume of American Vampire picks up about 10 years after the eve
Sam Quixote
Jun 16, 2014 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
It’s all Stephen King’s fault!

The first Scott Snyder comic I read was American Vampire Volume 1, co-written by King. King’s folksy, down-home style of writing was so irritating (and is why I no longer read his novels) that it completely tarnished my reading experience so I ended up hating the book.

So I was surprised with how much I liked Snyder’s writing when I picked up Batman: The Black Mirror, and I’ve been delighted ever since with his and Greg Capullo’s New 52 Batman run, Superman Unchained
Otherwyrld
Jan 28, 2014 Otherwyrld rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, graphic-novel
This is an improvement on the first volume, in that the emphasis is less on Skinner Sweet and more on the world-building of the series. Interesting foundations are being built here, along with a larger cast of characters for us to interact with. We are also introduced to new types of vampires, to vampire killers (in the form of the Vassals of the Morning Star - great name for a secret society dedicated to vampire hunting), and to a developing American society distancing itself from its European ...more
Trudi
Aug 23, 2011 Trudi rated it really liked it
This second installment of the American Vampire series is pretty juicy, the pages gushing blood and all sorts of other categories of nastiness.

Skinner Sweet is truly a vile invention, a convincing monster, a chilling vampire. Edward Cullen – you sir are a douche bag in a tree. Deal with it.

I love the historical feel of this series. This time we get an up-close look at 1930s Las Vegas -- the beginnings of its rise (or descent) to become Sin City. We also get a peek at the building of the Hoover
Brandon
Dec 27, 2012 Brandon rated it really liked it
The setting for Volume 2 moves to Las Vegas where Police Chief Cash McCogan is tasked with the unenviable job of investigating Jim Smoke, the man believed to be behind the murder of his father.

I'm legitimately shocked with how much I'm truly enjoying these books. As I said in my review for volume one, my taste for vampires had more than diminished leaving me less than enthusiastic in starting this series.

The change in setting prompted a change in story style as well. Snyder took the environment
Ronyell
Nov 26, 2012 Ronyell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Vampire Comics!
American Vampire

Brief Introduction:

After reading the first volume of Scott Snyder’s classic graphic novel, “American Vampire,” I just had to check out the second volume to see more adventures from Pearl and Skinner! So, I finally read “American Vampire: Volume Two” by Scott Snyder (Stephen King is not writing this volume this time) and I was even more amazed at how well this story is getting developed and now I cannot wait to see what will happen to these characters next!

What is the story?

In this volume, t
Sesana
Apr 16, 2012 Sesana rated it really liked it
Volume two of American Vampire moves the action from 1920s Hollywood to 1930s Vegas. There's a murder mystery, and more vampires, and more differentiation of vampire breeds. It's a great idea, that vampires are different based on where they were made. Skinner is still around, in the thick of things. Pearl is there, seemingly on the sidelines. It was her story that I really connected with. I liked her from the first volume, and it was nice to see her again. I also liked seeing characters from Ski ...more
Kurt
Jul 21, 2013 Kurt rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kurt by: Matt
In this second volume, the American Vampire story shifts to the 1930s, at the rise of Las Vegas. We get more of Skinner Sweet being scary, more great art by Albuquerque, and more exploration of Snyder's concept of vampires as an animal species that evolves like any other. Specifically, this volume has more of Sweet facing off against traditional European vampires, with significant appearances by an ancient representative of an otherwise extinct species. It's a great concept, one that works well ...more
Trina (Between Chapters)
As I said in my review of Volume 1, I read volumes 1 and 2 back to back, which threw me into this story better than if I'd read them solo. By this point I could see how the story was coming together and was more invested. I'm really enjoying this!
Elizabeth A
Dec 10, 2015 Elizabeth A rated it liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2015
Book blurb: It’s Las Vegas circa 1935, and Skinner Sweet and our gal Pearl are about to learn the hard way that the bloodsuckers in Hollywood were nothing compared to what awaits them in Sin City. This volume collects issues #6-11.

I really like how this vampire story almost reads like historical fiction. A vampire nest in Vegas? Sure explains much no? I liked this one better than the first volume, though am still not enamored with the art style. We spend time with some new characters, and I real
Nico
Oct 27, 2015 Nico rated it really liked it
this series is really good at putting fear and destruction back into vampires. they're horrible and scary. the setting is pretty cool too. I'm so used to either European fancy Lestat like vampires, or modern Twilight ones. the American West setting is pretty unique.

Skinner Sweet is also a real asshole, the kind of character people love to hate.
Licha
Jul 09, 2014 Licha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, series
3.5 stars. Vol 2 of 6. We have now arrived at 1936. Pearl has moved out of L.A. with her love Henry. In this volume we are introduced to some new characters and new locale of Las Vegas. Vampire hunters in the mix. It's a bit hard to follow at times cause you don't know who's a good guy or bad guy at times, but I'm sure all this will get resolved in later issues. So far still good and still want to continue reading.
Jessica-Robyn
American Vampire is such an interesting concept that I'm happy I finally got around to reading the second volume. Although I wouldn't say this story was as interesting as the first volume's tale it still gave me a lot to love even if it wasn't perfect.

I love how this series takes its historical setting and makes it a part of the story. The idea of this being historical fiction with vampires at the helm is a driving force for my love of this book. In volume two, we find ourselves in Vegas as the
Gabriel
Dec 27, 2011 Gabriel rated it liked it
What is most interesting about this series - what keeps me from falling head over heels with this great return to form for the vampire - is how messy the formatting is. And I know that it is on purpose. I know the drawing style is such that it is meant to look like a step between first draft and final draft sketches. I know that the disorientation I feel while reading through the panels (and it is not hard to find the order, but there are times when I find myself hoping I've chosen the correct o ...more
Jared Millet
American Vampire makes a smooth transition from "dazzling new idea" to "ongoing series" in volume 2, and continues its exploration of America's 20th Century boom through the eyes of its own, unique vampires.

That said, the two stories in this volume aren't as earth-shaking as those in Vol.1, but they do add more pieces to the world of the series. "Devil in the Sand" finds New World vamp Skinner Sweet operating a brothel in newly growing Las Vegas, while local sheriff Cash McCogan investigates the
Liz BooksandStuff
Jun 12, 2016 Liz BooksandStuff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Time is the only constant. For the living it never stops… For the dead it doesn’t matter… And for the undead? For the undead, time is a joke to be laughed at!”

The story of Skinner Sweet and Pearl Jones. A new step on evolution when it comes to vampire kind.
Series Review: https://booksandstuff1357.wordpress.c...
Dan
Jan 23, 2013 Dan rated it it was amazing
I'll say it again....They need to make American Vampire into a TV series or a movie!
Sud666
Jan 21, 2016 Sud666 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The first volume of American Vampire was written by Scott Snyder and had a prestory by Stephen King. It seems the pre-story is over and done with, so is Mr. King's time with American Vampire. Still that does not detract from the overall story as much (Vol 1 got 4 stars- took off a star for my not liking the art). Once again I am underwhelmed by the artwork. I do not think it is terrible, but I don't think it great either. Neither artist is to my taste. As far as the story- I am a far bigger fan ...more
Justin
Nov 23, 2013 Justin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampires, horror, comic
I’ve been lucky with my comics, in that I seem to devoutly enjoy everything I’ve been picking up lately. I liked this volume much better than the first, and I liked the first volume a lot.

I think my favorite thing about this series is the fact that even though it jumps from time period to time period, it can’t really be read out of order or in too disjointed a fashion. After reading the first two issues in this trade, I had to go back and reread the previous volume in order to reorient myself. W
Aaron
Oct 12, 2011 Aaron rated it liked it
Most of the press behind this book talks about how it's making vampires evil again, moving away from the Edwards of the world, going back to the violence, and so on. All of that is true. But this is not breaking any new ground at all, let's be clear. Yes, LATELY vampires are the kind of night creatures that keep secret diaries and kiss real nice, but if you ignore the last 8 years or so, you realize vampires have been grisly bloodsucking murderers for hundreds of years.

And so we get to Skinner S
Jess
I read American Vampire, Vol.1 last year after finding it in my local library. Check out my review here!

I wasn't sure if I was going to carry on with the American Vampire series at first, until I realised the fact that it kept popping into my head despite having read the first volume back in October had to be a sign that it was time to track down Volume 2. Sadly Volume 1 was the only one my library had, so I used trusty old Abebooks and found a couple of secondhand copies of Volume 2 and Volum
David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party"
I'll write a full review when I have the time, but for now, here's...

DAVE'S FINAL JUDGMENT -

THE DEFENSE
- Charismatic heroes (especially Pearl) and truly chilling villains (especially Hattie)
- The mystery of the murders at the Hoover Dam has many surprising twists and a brilliant conclusion
- The character depth and backstories add an emotional weight to an already captivating story
- Horrific artwork is a perfect complement to Vaughan's terrifying writing

THE PROSECUTION
- With so much v
Melissa Chung
Nov 09, 2015 Melissa Chung rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, vampires
Vol 2 of American Vampire. Giving this one 3.5 stars. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the first one.

In this volume we still get to see Pearl and Sweets, but they add a few new characters. The vampire races are still fighting as well. This volume takes place half in Las Vegas and half in Arrowhead, California. Revenge is coming.
Robert
Mar 29, 2012 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
The continuing adventures of the new breed vampire. The illustrations are top notch, still exciting, fast paced and with the right amount of nudity and gore. The absence of Steven King's influence is not missed.

Pearl Jones and he human lover Henry have been on the lam for ten years, following the events of vol 1. Although they have successfully avoided Skinner Sweet, there is another old frenemy from the past seeking vengeance.

In separate events, Mysterious and gruesome murders are happening i
Aildiin
Jul 01, 2014 Aildiin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The second volume remains top notch and introduces new character, chief among them Cash McCogan,a police chief in Vegas during the construction of the Hoover Dam.
I can't wait to get my hands on the third book.
Iván
Feb 26, 2016 Iván rated it really liked it
Kitty
Aug 06, 2015 Kitty rated it really liked it
I enjoy the characters in this story. This volume just felt a little bit like it was nothing more than a "where are they now?"I get the feeling that it is a greater setup. Overall still a great read.
  • Scalped, Vol. 7: Rez Blues
  • Morning Glories, Vol. 2: All Will Be Free
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 1: Cold Dead Fingers
  • The Strange Talent of Luther Strode
  • DMZ, Vol. 9: M.I.A.
Scott Snyder is the Eisner and Harvey Award winning writer on DC Comics Batman, Swamp Thing, and his original series for Vertigo, American Vampire. He is also the author of the short story collection, Voodoo Heart, published by the Dial Press in 2006. The paperback version was published in the summer of 2007.
More about Scott Snyder...

American Vampire (10 books)
  • American Vampire, Vol. 1
  • American Vampire, Vol. 3
  • American Vampire, Vol. 4
  • American Vampire, Vol. 5
  • American Vampire, Vol. 6
  • American Vampire, Vol. 7
  • American Vampire, Vol. 8
  • American Vampire Anthology #1 (American Vampire)
  • American Vampire Anthology #2 (American Vampire)

“I always, always got to be the last man standing.” 8 likes
“That's what everyone thinks--they think being a cop is about punishing people for doing wrong. But that's not true. You know it isn't. It's about believing in people, believing in the good. In the will of people to do what's right despite their own instincts.” 6 likes