Start by marking “Society Against the State: Essays in Political Anthropology” as Want to Read:
Society Against the State: Essays in Political Anthropology

Society Against the State: Essays in Political Anthropology

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Can there be a society that is not divided into oppressors and oppressed, or that refuses coercive state apparatuses? In this landmark text in anthropology and political science, Pierre Clastres offers examples of South American Indian groups that, though without hierarchical leadership, were both affluent and complex. In so doing, he refutes the usual negative definition ...more
Published October 4th 1989 by Zone Books (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Society Against the State, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Society Against the State

Umut
Bu kitabın ezberbozan bir yanı vardı. En azından benim için. Toplum olarak kendimizi aradığımız [yanardöner gibi bir devir batılılaşıp bir devir doğululaşarak] bir dönemde, örnek aldığımız dayanaklarımızı sorgulatan bir kitap oldu. Batı benmerkezciliğine net bir eleştiri bu. Devlete dair daha çok soru sorduracak bir kitap.

aklıma gelen 3 alıcı grubuna kişisel notum:

- devleti, bir de devletsiz toplumlarla karşılaştırma yaparak anlayayım diyenlerin okuması gerekli. [Uzmanı değilim, nacizane görüşüm
Demelza
Is Clastres the red-headed step-child of anthropology? I've got two anthro degrees, and had to come to him via Tiqqun. While I've been forced to read a good chunk of the French anthro canon, nary a word of Clastres. I don't think it's quite a conspiracy, but I question this strange "hiding" of anthro texts that hint at anarchism (like Clastres, I also had to read Graeber on my own).

Clastres'anthropology is SO GOOD, but can still be critiqued. At times I felt like he was homogenizing, what he ca
blake
Having read Clastres later Archeology of Violence (you can see my review here), I was prepared to be blown away by this one (after all, the production/jacket is much higher end stuff, which means it's better, right?).

But I was instead disappointed. He says essentially similar things, but in more theoretical ways than he does in the other book. This made it harder for me to stay interested. Additionally, there were a couple of spots where he seemed to romanticize the indigenous people, giving th
Mutlu Cankay
Etnoloji ve antropolojide oturmuş kavramlara savaş açan eser, sergilediği cesareti veri toplama da gösterememiş. son derece sınırlı gruplarla yapılan çalışmalar ilginç kuramların oluşmasına yardımcı olduysa da bunların tarafsız bir gözle incelenmediği açık. Rousseau vari bir "soylu vahşi" görüşü hakim olan metin ortalamanın üzerine çıkamıyor.
Nina
Clastres main thesis through this book is that stateless societies are not under-developed, but a result of conscious and active organization against statist structures.

Even though some of his ideas are a bit dated by now and come across as typical arrogancy of a western scholar, Clastres does deserve credit for being one the first western intellectuals to seriously point out that maybe people living in these societies actually choose their lives.
Sarah Price
I wouldn't have gotten as much out of it if I didn't have a professor and students helping to expand on the ideas in this book...but I did and so I enjoyed it. While I don't agree with most things written in this book, I like ideas that challenge my own because it allows me to look at them from all sides and I am better able to explain (to myself and others) why I feel the way I do about culture.
Lee Foust
Bryn Hammond
I came to this through Christopher Boehm, Hierarchy in the Forest: The Evolution of Egalitarian Behavior. For early human politics, I'd say, go there, which builds on Clastres, and had told me Clastres' main message, about how early-style societies defend themselves against that perceived evil power - how they prevent power. Boehm dives into primate behaviour too to link up with our species (he's a primatologist turned anthropologist).

Still, I'm glad I read this. It's a set of essays. Once his
Joe
Comment:

I have read Society against the State and it is quite good; I really need to read more books by this author! In this book Clastres argues that the first States were not products of tribal 'bigmen' or 'chiefs' but, rather, a product of the tribal Shamans. Why? The reasoning is that only the Shaman had, in these 'primitive' societies, a monoply on fear - and thus power. In these pre-civilized societies the chiefs had no army or police to enforce their whims, but the shaman had superstition
Mirza  Sultan-Galiev
Some very interesting examination of non-state societies conscious
maintenance of a diffuse distribution of power, ( inscription of law on the body etc).
However patriarchal relations are hardly interrogated at all, and the sketchy speculative vagueness of the whole thing is a bit tiresome.
Bertrand
Plus complet qu'Archéologie de la Violence, cet ouvrage anthropologique de Pierre Clastres est en tout point de vue intéressant et instructif pour quiconque s'intéresse aux sociétés dites primitives du continent américain.
Kubilay
Politik Antropolojiye yabancı olanlar için dahi anlaması kolay, kısa ancak derin bir kitap. Beşeri bilimlerle bir şekilde hasbihal olan herkesin okuması gerekli diye düşünüyorum.
Mabrouk
كتاب يعتبر من أمهات كتب الأنثروبولوجيا السياسية وفيه وضع كلاستر تصوراته حول السياسة كما تمارسها المجتمعات البدائية
Joanna
Currently re-reading this book. Beautifully written and insightful ethnography. Translated by Paul Auster (!).
Luiz Pavanelli
Não é uma obra completa. A not completed work.
Klelia
exceptionally good read.
Lance Blomgren
Lance Blomgren marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
John Daniel Thieme
John Daniel Thieme marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Dee L
Dee L marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
fr4nt1c
fr4nt1c marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Madeleine Herkes
Madeleine Herkes marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
  • Possibilities: Essays on Hierarchy, Rebellion, and Desire
  • The Art of Not Being Governed: An Anarchist History of Upland Southeast Asia
  • The Russian Anarchists
  • Hind Swaraj or Indian Home Rule
  • The Gift: The Form and Reason for Exchange in Archaic Societies
  • TAZ: The Temporary Autonomous Zone (New Autonomy)
  • The Antonio Gramsci Reader: Selected Writings 1916-1935
  • Europe and the People Without History
  • Streets of Hope: The Fall and Rise of an Urban Neighborhood
  • Plan B 3.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization
  • Grandmothers Counsel the World: Women Elders Offer Their Vision for Our Planet
  • Against His-Story, Against Leviathan!
  • Letters of Insurgents
  • The French Revolution and Human Rights: A Brief Documentary History
  • The Subversion of Politics: European Autonomous Social Movements and the Decolonization of Everyday Life
  • The Rebel's Silhouette: Selected Poems
  • Lectures at the College de France, 1977-78: Security, Territory and Population
  • Mimesis and Alterity: A Particular History of the Senses: A Particular Study of the Senses
Pierre Clastres, (1934-1977), was a French anthropologist and ethnographer. He is best known for his fieldwork among the Guayaki in Paraguay and his theory on stateless societies. Some people regard him as giving scientific validity to certain anarchist perspectives.[1]

In his most famous work, Society Against the State (1974), Clastres indeed criticizes both the evolutionist notion that the state
More about Pierre Clastres...
Chronicle of the Guayaki Indians Archeology of Violence L'anarchia selvaggia Mythologie Des Indiens Chulupi (Bibliotheque De L'ecole Des Hautes Etudes) (French Edition) Archéologie de la violence: La guerre dans les sociétés primitives (L'Aube Poche)

“La historia de los pueblos que tienen una Historia es la historia de la lucha de clases. La historia de los pueblos sin Historia es, diremos con la misma verdad, la historia de su lucha contra el Estado.” 4 likes
“It is not a scientific proposition to determine that some cultures lack political power because they show nothing similar to what is found in our culture. It is instead the sign of a certain conceptual poverty.” 3 likes