Start by marking “Gingerbread Baby” as Want to Read:

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  3,756 ratings  ·  146 reviews
Remember how the Gingerbread Boy is eaten by the fox? Well, not this Gingerbread Baby in a delicious twist to a favorite old tale.

Published October 4th 1999 by Putnam Juvenile (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Gingerbread Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gingerbread Baby

Ronda
Our incoming Kindergartners do a gingerbread hunt and it's nice to be able to build on that initial experience by reading other versions. This one has been a great favorite with many of my students who agreed with Jan Brett in not liking the ending of most gingerbread man stories. Great read-aloud with possible tie-ins to a wide number of lessons--folk tales, compare/contrast, versions & variations, & prediction jut to name a few. As a bit of a cautionary tale to anyoen reading this alou...more
Brianna Mendenhall
Gingerbread Baby

It all begins when Matti opens the oven too soon and out jumps a cheeky little Gingerbread Bay. He leads Matti's mother and father, the dog and the cat. And a whole colorful cast of characters on a rollicking chase through the village and into the forest, staying just out of reach, daring them to catch him along the way.

But Matti's not with them. He's...more
Susan
This is not a classic retelling of the Gingerbread Man but a cute story of the Gingerbread Baby. Children enjoy the idea of the baby outwitting everybody. It adds a different dimension to tale. I would have liked to see a better flowing story but overall it is wonderful. The children love the beautiful Nordic illustrations. Jan Brett provides additional material to go along with the story on her website. My kids love making the gingerbread house which comes complete with a gingerbread baby!
Jane
I love Jan Brett and "Gingerbread Man" stories but this book is a disappointment. The wonderful rhyme of the original story "Run run as fast as you can. You can't catch me. I'm the Gingerbread Man!", is changed to a cumbersome stilted rhyme in which the gingerbread baby tries to make friends with confectionary characters in a bakery shop. This book will fit the bill for teachers and parents asking for gingerbread man stories but I wouldn't choose as a read-aloud or a favoirite holiday book.
Katie Foster
I really enjoyed this story. As a teacher, I could do a unit on the gingerbread man. I would use this story to compare how this story is alike and different from the regular gingerbread man. To use this story, the students would need some background knowledge on the regular folktale of the gingerbread man, which I would read and discuss with them before this story. An example of an alikeness would be how the gingerbread baby runs away and urges them to catch him if they can, just like the ginger...more
Nicholas Linsk
Gingerbread Baby has lively and beautifully detailed paintings that catch the spirit of a favorite old tale through her cheeky little Gingerbread Baby and the colorful cast of characters who pursue him through a tiny Swiss village surrounded by forest and mountains. There is a fun twist at the end of the story that surprises even the Gingerbread baby.
Brett’s illustrations appear to be life like, almost as if they were actual photographs taken. Her use of shading of the mountains and the patchy...more
Linda Lipko
Yet another stellar art filled book by Jan Brett! I'd like to met this author and ask how long it takes to illustrate one of her books. Filled with detail, the images pop off the page. and this current read is no exception.

Matti and his mother are baking a gingerbread boy. The instructions note to bake a full eight minutes. No more! No Less! and DO NOT peek.

After four minutes Matti couldn't control himself, opening the oven and out popped a gingerbread baby instead of a gingerbread boy.

Running t...more
Vivian
A bit "wordy" to use in a library pre-school story time but still delightful. One perk of using this version are the images you can print from the author's website. Use them as masks, as flannel board figures, or as craft-stick puppets. Here's the link: http://janbrett.com/vcards/gbrowse.ph...
board game: http://janbrett.com/games/gingerbread...
cardboard house: http://janbrett.com/gingerbread_baby_...
interactive house (to play on-line): http://janbrett.com/trim_a_jan_brett_...
build-a-book: http:/...more
Kieran
Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett is a twist on an older tale. In this version, Matti bakes a gingerbread man, but opens the oven too early and he escapes from the pan. This leads Mom, Dad, cat, and dog on a hunt through the village to capture the cookie creature. However, Matti is not pursuing the gingerbread baby, but rather creating a trap. He bakes a gingerbread house that lures the gingerbread baby back to the kitchen.
Jan Brett’s illustrations, once again, are phenomenal. She includes her tra...more
Dolly
Feb 15, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens
We love Jan Brett's illustrations and so we eagerly get any of her books we haven't seen yet. Sometimes they all seem to blend together, but still, it's fun to look at the pictures. We often turn our reading sessions into a "find the hedgehog" hunt, especially if the little critter isn't prominently featured in the story. It was somewhere here on Goodreads that I learned that she likes them (and has one, I think) and finds ways to incorporate them into her books.
Well, back to my review (can you...more
Sara Sipos
This book is a cute twist on an original story. Matti bakes a Gingerbread Baby who escapes and runs through town causing trouble. Matti has a master plan and stays homes to bake a gingerbread house for the gingerbread baby. His plan works and he captures the gingerbread baby. This is a good book to have on your bookshelf and could be used if you want students to write an alternate ending to a book.
Caroline
This is a great book to read during the holidays, as it embraces the childhood festivities of making gingerbread cookies and gingerbread houses. While children could read this book on their own, I believe this particular book would make a great read aloud for K-2 grade students.

It encompasses two great morales for children:
1) The importance of following directions.
2) You can't do everything on your own; sometimes you need help from others.

The illustrations are beautiful in this book, and I esp...more
Fibersian
A lovely retell of the Gingerbread Man. Repetitive text for chanting. Great fun as kids watch the building behavior of the saucy baby. A little boy cleverly saves the day and catches him. Problem solving. A good book to pair with the traditional story.
Kimberli
Nov 12, 2007 Kimberli rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
The Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett is a delightful retelling of the classic story of The Gingerbread Boy. In this story Matti couldn’t wait any longer and he opens the oven door. To his surprise, out jumps a gingerbread baby instead of a gingerbread boy. This baby cookie is as sassy as they come and he taunts everyone in the village including the milk and cheese man, goats, villagers, a fox, and more. However, Matti has a big surprise waiting for the gingerbread baby and you’ll never guess how th...more
Destiny Dawn Long
Sometimes I find Brett's work to be a little too wordy, but I really enjoyed this story. It had great pacing and energy to it. The Gingerbread Baby was obnoxiously overconfident in a way that made you want to see him caught all the more. Most of all, though, I liked that Matti displayed ingenuity in his approach to catching the Gingerbread Baby. It's a fun tale to talk with children about impatience, and solving your own mistakes.

As usual, Brett's illustrations are richly detailed and the margi...more
Jessica Wilson
Cute story line. I loved the illustrations done in the book. Every page has such detail that there is no white showing. Great book for kids.
Rachael
I really love the Gingerbread baby and Mattie. I like how the illustrations on the side of the pages foreshadow the next page. The illustrations are beautiful.
Taylor
i loved it as a kid and still love it today it has mini morals and lessons throughout that kids need these days.
Ginna
Jul 13, 2013 Ginna added it
Shelves: winter
Cute book!
Students will recall the places Gingerbread Baby visits as he runs away from being captured by creating a flannel board. You can also use paper of the length of a bulletin board and draw an oven as the first picture, then each student will come up and draw the next place he visited until the story ends. Also you could ask students to write the name of the place (or object) underneath it. Students could retell the story like that or you could use a cutout of a gingerbread baby and as yo...more
Neelab
I love this children's book! I grew up reading Jan Brett books. I Love It!!
Kelly Sommers
The Gingerbread Baby is a spin of off the Gingerbread Man book. I personally like this book more than the Gingerbread man book. This book begins with the gingerbread man jumping out of the oven and out the door. This baby leads a crowed chasing him throughout the woods. Numerous different events take place a long the way. The end has a little bi of a twist to it, which only adds to the fun of the book. The pictures are vibrant and intricate. I use to make my mother read this book to me time and...more
Mary
Just finished reading this to my daughter very cute.
Brenda
Oct 05, 2014 Brenda added it
Shelves: teaching
Anna Johnson
Such a cute story and one of my all-time favorite books!
Victoria Salzmann
The gingerbread baby is a picture book about a gingerbread baby that struggles with belonging. He doesn't know where he fits in so he runs away from everything he's ever known to end up inside the gingerbread house that was made for him. It wasn't until he was in his gingerbread house that he felt content. This book is meant for children ages 4- 8 years old, but I believe even the parents can find enjoyment out of this book because of all the beautiful illustrations and fun story line. I enjoyed...more
Meredith
The illustrations in Jan Brett's books are stunning, and they are worth the read just for the pictures alone. Her text, however, always falls flat: it lacks rhythm, it is overly wordy, and it lacks many other refinements of the craft. I do like that she revises the ending of this story so that the gingerbread man is not eaten in the end, and the illustrations are stunning. This book, like her other winter-themed books, is an excellent introduction to the visual culture of Nordic peoples.
Kirsten Denny
This clever story is a fun read for any young child. Perfect for the holiday season, the pictures alone paint a vivid story. The gingerbread baby escapes from the cookie pan and creates much chaos for several characters. This book has small words and is an easy read. It is perfect to read right before Christmas break in grades even before 4th. Its length is great for children that have small attention spans and it is an interesting twist on the typical Christmas stories.
Oanh
I thought this was an interesting twist to the classic Gingerbread Man story. This tale could be used to discuss patience, sequencing, and using the illustrations to make predictions. I read this aloud while babysitting a friend's daughter and found the classic line "Run, run as fast as you can; you can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man!" was re-written for the Gingerbread Baby, which is fine, but it wasn't as memorable or significant as I would have hoped it to be.
Craig
First of all, the illustrations are awesome - complex and beautiful.

The storytelling though, leaves a lot to be desired. A retelling of a well-loved traditional story should at least show some love to the original. This, in my opinion, fails as any kind of homage to the tale of the Gingerbread Man. Poor rhythms, forced rhymes... Ugh.

As for Chloe, her review was a little more scathing than mine. After the first page, she paid no attention to the book at all.
Kristina Bulluck
This book was so cute! This version let's children know that a story can be changed several different ways because different people are telling it. Jan really came up with a clever way to get the gingerbread baby back.

LE: We would have cookie dough and would make gingerbread babies, bake them and then we would decorate with candies and then retell the story about how a student ate the gingerbread baby and the children would get to eat their ginger bread babies.
  • The Gingerbread Girl
  • Babushka's Doll
  • Miss Spider's Tea Party
  • Barnyard Banter
  • Mooseltoe
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • The Doorbell Rang
With over thirty three million books in print, Jan Brett is one of the nation's foremost author illustrators of children's books. Jan lives in a seacoast town in Massachusetts, close to where she grew up. During the summer her family moves to a home in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts.
As a child, Jan Brett decided to be an illustrator and spent many hours reading and drawing. She says, "I reme...more
More about Jan Brett...
The Mitten The Hat The Wild Christmas Reindeer Town Mouse, Country Mouse Beauty and the Beast