Start by marking “Reading Lips: A Memoir of Kisses” as Want to Read:
Reading Lips: A Memoir of Kisses

Reading Lips: A Memoir of Kisses

Kisses, even the ones that don’t happen, can be the trace of what’s constant when life changes. In childhood, when what seems to define everything is competition—for style, for knowing, for experience—a kiss is the first first. When a girl’s father moves out and chooses a new family, a kiss on the head from him may be the trace of constancy that she wants most.

Later, such
Published April 5th 2011 by Unbridled Books (first published March 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Reading Lips, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reading Lips

Mandy
May 09, 2011 Mandy rated it really liked it
For the full review go to WellReadWife.com.

I was very excited to finally get a chance to read Claudia Sternbach’s Reading Lips: A Memoir of Kisses, and I was not disappointed. Reading Lips covers a broad expanse of Sternbach’s life. From tumbling off the roof of her elementary school and living to tell about it all the way to her struggle with cancer in her adult years, Sternbach never misses a beat. She manages to keep the reader in the palm of her hand as she shares a life story that performs
Girls Gone Reading
Mar 13, 2011 Girls Gone Reading rated it really liked it
Originally I accepted Reading Lips for review only because of the publisher-Unbridled Books. Unbridled publishes some truly remarkable books, and despite the fact that I was over run with memoirs I picked this one up. I am glad that I did. Claudia Sternbach’s memoir Reading Lips was an adorable, fun read that takes a unique look at how our life stories can be told.

One area where Sternbach shines is in her style. Reading Lips is told mostly in chronological order, and Sternbach skillfully changes
Christy Lockstein
Dec 24, 2010 Christy Lockstein rated it it was amazing
Reading Lips by Claudia Sternbach is the story of a woman's life through kisses. Sternbach who told the story of her battle with cancer in Now Breathe is a remarkable author who tugs readers' heartstrings while also tickling their funnybone. She opens with her first almost kiss to Teddy K, and the emotional angst and confusion of a fifth grade girl. Sternbach's writing as young Claudia is earnest and innocent, perfectly capturing all of the drama of girls that age. She wants to finally beat best ...more
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
Have you ever read a book that just flowed effortlessly from the pages and was just a comfortable fit? Reading Lips was such a book for me. Ms. Sternbach takes us through events in her life, relating each one with a kiss - whether it be reluctant, denied, a missed opportunity, or much anticipated. These are not just romantic kisses, but kisses from friends and family as well.

It could actually be considered a book of essays as each chapter tells a story in it's own right, but when taken in it's
Beth Peninger
Apr 27, 2011 Beth Peninger rated it liked it
Kisses. There are so many kisses, Friendly, Romantic, Familial, Goodbye, Hello, Controlling, Wishful, Created, etc. In this memoir Sternbach takes the reader down memory lane with her and she thinks back on some of the meaningful and more poignant kisses of her life thus far. It made me consider the same kisses I have had in my life. A kiss is intimate, it takes trust if it is a healthy kiss. Years ago when Pretty Woman came out I was struck by a line in the movie. Julia Roberts says to Richard ...more
McGuffy Morris
May 24, 2011 McGuffy Morris rated it it was amazing
Each human, each life, each story, each book…each kiss is unique and different. To be able to recall your life based upon kisses is a wondrous thing!

This astonishing anthology of essays ranges from childhood memories to adult recollections. However no matter the age, a kiss is never just a kiss. We are reminded of this in each essay. The lasting importance of a kiss is celebrated and appreciated, as it should be.

Sometimes it is a kiss we needed. Sometimes it is a kiss that we never receive, that
Kathy Hiester
May 03, 2011 Kathy Hiester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am over run with memoirs and I still picked this one up but I am glad that I did. Claudia Sternbach’s memoir Reading Lips was a sweet, enjoyable read that takes an exceptional look at how life stories can be told.

Reading Lips is told mostly in sequential order, and Sternbach expertly changes her voice defining each time period accurately. In the early moments I was reminded of the voice used in Room (which is one of my favorites), and I loved to see the understated changes she made throughout
Sara
Mar 08, 2011 Sara rated it liked it
I received this from Netgalley.

Reading Lips is the tale of one woman who is just trying to get life right. Reading Lips was not focused on the fact that she has had several marriages, the point was that there are moments that changes us, all of us.

I thought the book was well written. I really enjoyed when she discussed her sisters in such a sarcastic but yet loving way. She allowed me to relive my "kissable moments" while existing in hers.

I think people will find this an easy and enjoyable read
Jec
May 04, 2011 Jec rated it really liked it
you NEVER forget your FIRST kiss....this endearing book reminds you how kisses mark those defining moments in our lives...i found it quite by surprise...or maybe it found me...however it happened...i am glad it did.
Iris
Oct 24, 2011 Iris rated it liked it
This was a quick, enjoyable read. Most of the chapters/stories didn't have a lot of depth, but there were a few exceptions. The premise is awesome, but I may have been a little TOO excited about it as I found the book a little disappointing overall.
Apr 03, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
4.5/5

A must-read memoir,the full review is on my book review blog Rundpinne.
Lynne
Mar 04, 2012 Lynne rated it really liked it
Reading Lips is a well written little memoir. It was a nice change of pace between a couple of heavier book group books. I especially enjoyed the chapters depicting her childhood and the inclusion of her sisters throughout the book.
Peggy
Jul 04, 2011 Peggy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like memoirs, I like compilations of short stories. Therefore I enjoyed this book, that is once I realized it was a compilation nof stories and not a book. Just a fun read.
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was ok
Oct 22, 2012
Dan J Falke
Dan J Falke rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2011
Pam Emons
Pam Emons rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2014
Alison Ringlespaugh
Alison Ringlespaugh rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2014
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2014
Janet
Janet rated it it was ok
May 31, 2011
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2012
Staci
Staci rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Elizabeth Mckenzie
Elizabeth Mckenzie rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2011
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Holland Saltsman
Holland Saltsman rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2011
Jen Mastronardi
Jen Mastronardi rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Jacqueline115
Jacqueline115 rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2011
  • Nearer the Moon: From A Journal of Love - The Unexpurgated Diary of Anaïs Nin (1937-1939)
  • Imperfect Spirituality: Extraordinary Enlightenment for Ordinary People
  • Elizabeth: Virgin Queen?
  • No Evil Star: Selected Essays, Interviews, and Prose
  • Not Much Fun: The Lost Poems of Dorothy Parker
  • Purpose for the Pain
  • Oscar Wilde: A Certain Genius
  • Kiss Off: Poems to Set You Free
  • Inner Excavation: Exploring Your Self Through Photography, Poetry and Mixed Media
  • Cultivating Your Creative Life: Exercises, Activities & Inspiration for Finding Balance, Beauty & Success as an Artist
  • Metaphysical Horror