Start by marking “We Bombed In New Haven” as Want to Read:
We Bombed In New Haven
Preview

We Bombed In New Haven

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The first of Heller's plays. Published in 1968.
Published August 1968 by Alfred A. Knopf

To ask other readers questions about We Bombed In New Haven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Bombed In New Haven

Adam Floridia
This is not nearly as entertaining as Catch-22 (but then again, little is). There were a few great laugh-out-loud moments towards the beginning, but humor is not sustained throughout.

The reason I "really liked it" is that I would have to classify it as the first postmodern play I have ever read. In many ways, it is a meta-play--the actors address the audience, acknowledge that they are actors, and Heller even has them use their real names. This reinforces the idea that soldiers at war are more o
Jeff
Not much difference between this and Heller's own dramatization of "Catch 22," but he is incapable of writing unamusing dialogue (at least, he was until the forced absurdist-lite exchanges in "Good As Gold" and subsequent output)
Jon
May 14, 2011 Jon rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: plays
Same territory as Heller's Catch-22. I couldn't finish -- an extreme rarity for me. Hasn't aged well, but in my opinion also suffers from same broad surrealism that makes Catch-22 hard going at times.
Holly
Feb 10, 2008 Holly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who is frustrated with politics
Heller had a crystal ball when he wrote this. He wrote dialogue for his military commanders that perfectly blends omnipotence and incompetence.
Ciara
One of the most important plays ever written. See it, if you can, it makes a hell of a difference. You cannot leave the theater unchanged.
Albert Dubreuil

Just what you'd expect of a war play written in 1968 that breaks the fourth wall nonstop.
Danielle Lee
Hilarious and quirky play by Joseph Heller.
Ed Patterson
Timely...now that I live in CT - boom!
Ross
One of my very favorite plays. It is unquestionably Heller's unique style and overflowing with sarcasm and ripe with critisims of war and politics. I find it especially meaningful today in regard to this global theater where we see war and death and disease every night on the televison, but as long as it doesn't effect us, who really cares? All the world's a stage. . .
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Taoufiq Hebboul
Taoufiq Hebboul marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Razvan Muraru
Razvan Muraru marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Mc
Mc marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Susan Dykens
Susan Dykens marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Wheeler
Wheeler marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Martha Cox
Martha Cox marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Joseph Heller was the son of poor Jewish parents from Russia. Even as a child, he loved to write; at the age of eleven, he wrote a story about the Russian invasion of Finland. He sent it to New York Daily News, which rejected it. After graduating from Abraham Lincoln High School in 1941, Heller spent the next ye
More about Joseph Heller...
Catch-22 Something Happened Closing Time (Catch-22, #2) God Knows Good as Gold