Start by marking “Flash of the Spirit: African & Afro-American Art & Philosophy” as Want to Read:
Flash of the Spirit: African & Afro-American Art & Philosophy

Flash of the Spirit: African & Afro-American Art & Philosophy

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This book reveals how five distinct African civilizations have shaped the specific cultures of their New World descendants.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published May 26th 2010 by Vintage (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Flash of the Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flash of the Spirit

Andrewhouston
I was just watching a documentary on Jean-Michel Basquiat and he mentions this book as one of his favorites, and I remembered using for some research. The author Robert Thompson is even featured prominently in the documentary and had the best commentary of all the art talking heads. Great, Great book. I don't think I read it from front to back, but I would like to own this book so that I can.
Tristy
I just watched the documentary "Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child" and he mentions this book as being one of the best books he's ever read. This is a really stellar book and I have yet to see anyone approach the topic of African/Afro-American Art in the same way since.
Stacey
Fighting to combat racist notions, Thompson centers the book on documenting a proud and ancient heritage of the Africans and African-Americans. Thompson goes into extreme detail on the differences between art in Africa and the Americas. Examples of the similarity range in places from Cuba, Haiti, Brazil to Yoruba and Benin. Elaborating on the spiritual, Thompson sketches a picture of the complex approximation of Haitian vodun to the religion of Kongo, Dahomey and Yorubaland. Magnificently drawin ...more
Katie
Thompson walks a thin line in trying to make complex cultural practices understandable for outsiders without oversimplifying. And he succeeds: his study is enlightening, though at times his scholarly precision turns cumbersome (mostly in chapter five). I would have given it five stars if the images were in color--some are so dark I can barely tell what they are. Color is so crucial in the artistic traditions discussed in this book; the publisher should have sprung for a few color pages.
Kevin Cooney
Very helpful book that illuminates the sources for the Black Atlantic component of American art. I first learned about the book from an interview with Basquiat. Usually, when you read about him he is compared to established European and American painters, but the book shows the resilience of west African visual patterns and symbols in vernacular culture.
Daniel
Mar 18, 2008 Daniel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daniel by: good ol' roger noel from chicago!
perked interest ritual, sacrifice, "pantheism," and nonwestern religious practices ... and noneastern religious practices, for that matter. this book's intersection with artmaking was highly influential for me... and still has been, after all these years...
Lori
This defined the new way of perceiving African Art and it is time I got around to reading it cover to cover.
Diane Dunham
has really good photos of artifacts
Sharon Blackstone
Sharon Blackstone marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Christopher Howard
Christopher Howard marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Dom
Dom marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Vinícius Souza
Vinícius Souza marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Darrain Mumphrey
Darrain Mumphrey marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Isabella Fassi
Isabella Fassi marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Von
Von marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Mchen
Mchen marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Chris Ice
Chris Ice marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Gina Washington
Gina Washington marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Alyse
Alyse marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Ronald Smits
Ronald Smits marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
  • Divine Horsemen: The Living Gods of Haiti
  • Mama Lola: A Vodou Priestess in Brooklyn (Comparative Studies in Religion and Society)
  • Jambalaya: The Natural Woman's Book of Personal Charms and Practical Rituals
  • In The Break: The Aesthetics Of The Black Radical Tradition
  • Tell My Horse: Voodoo and Life in Haiti and Jamaica
  • The Goddesses and Gods of Old Europe: Myths and Cult Images, New and Updated Edition
  • Kali: The Feminine Force
  • The Crisis of the Negro Intellectual: A Historical Analysis of the Failure of Black Leadership
  • The White Man's Burden: Historical Origins of Racism in the United States
  • Rubbish!: The Archaeology of Garbage
  • The Once and Future Goddess
  • Wreckers of Civilisation: The Story of COUM Transmissions and Throbbing Gristle
  • The Spirit of a Man: A Vision of Transformation for Black Men and the Women Who Love Them
  • Russian Criminal Tattoo Encyclopedia, Volume III
  • Leonora Carrington: Surrealism, Alchemy and Art
  • The Gothic Image: Religious Art in France of the Thirteenth Century
  • Shakkai: Women of the Sacred Garden
  • The Oxford Illustrated History of Prehistoric Europe
Robert Farris Thompson is a professor of the Art History at Yale University. He specializes in African and African-American art.
More about Robert Farris Thompson...
Tango: The Art History of Love Face of the Gods: Art and Altars of Africa and the African Americas African Art in Motion The Four Moments of the Sun: Kongo Art in Two Worlds Aesthetic of the Cool: Afro-Atlantic Art and Music