Start by marking “Flash of the Spirit: African & Afro-American Art & Philosophy” as Want to Read:
Flash of the Spirit: African & Afro-American Art & Philosophy

Flash of the Spirit: African & Afro-American Art & Philosophy

This book reveals how five distinct African civilizations have shaped the specific cultures of their New World descendants.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published May 26th 2010 by Vintage (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Flash of the Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flash of the Spirit

Andrewhouston
May 16, 2011 Andrewhouston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-college
I was just watching a documentary on Jean-Michel Basquiat and he mentions this book as one of his favorites, and I remembered using for some research. The author Robert Thompson is even featured prominently in the documentary and had the best commentary of all the art talking heads. Great, Great book. I don't think I read it from front to back, but I would like to own this book so that I can.
Tristy
Feb 14, 2010 Tristy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, spiritual, deities
I just watched the documentary "Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child" and he mentions this book as being one of the best books he's ever read. This is a really stellar book and I have yet to see anyone approach the topic of African/Afro-American Art in the same way since.
Stacey
Dec 29, 2011 Stacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fighting to combat racist notions, Thompson centers the book on documenting a proud and ancient heritage of the Africans and African-Americans. Thompson goes into extreme detail on the differences between art in Africa and the Americas. Examples of the similarity range in places from Cuba, Haiti, Brazil to Yoruba and Benin. Elaborating on the spiritual, Thompson sketches a picture of the complex approximation of Haitian vodun to the religion of Kongo, Dahomey and Yorubaland. Magnificently drawin ...more
Erin
Feb 01, 2017 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was really dense. Shined when talking about Henry Dorsey though.
Katie
Jan 19, 2010 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thompson walks a thin line in trying to make complex cultural practices understandable for outsiders without oversimplifying. And he succeeds: his study is enlightening, though at times his scholarly precision turns cumbersome (mostly in chapter five). I would have given it five stars if the images were in color--some are so dark I can barely tell what they are. Color is so crucial in the artistic traditions discussed in this book; the publisher should have sprung for a few color pages.
Kevin Cooney
Dec 28, 2010 Kevin Cooney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful book that illuminates the sources for the Black Atlantic component of American art. I first learned about the book from an interview with Basquiat. Usually, when you read about him he is compared to established European and American painters, but the book shows the resilience of west African visual patterns and symbols in vernacular culture.
Daniel
Mar 18, 2008 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daniel by: good ol' roger noel from chicago!
perked interest ritual, sacrifice, "pantheism," and nonwestern religious practices ... and noneastern religious practices, for that matter. this book's intersection with artmaking was highly influential for me... and still has been, after all these years...
Kurt
Jan 07, 2008 Kurt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My enlightenment.
Diane Dunham
has really good photos of artifacts
Lori
Sep 02, 2010 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This defined the new way of perceiving African Art and it is time I got around to reading it cover to cover.
Elinor Ferens
Elinor Ferens rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Eric Schumacher-rasmussen
Eric Schumacher-rasmussen rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2011
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2014
Michael Lloyd-Billington
Michael Lloyd-Billington rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2016
Zakia Holly
Zakia Holly rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Jeremy Weate
Jeremy Weate rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2012
Gemma
Gemma rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2014
Lulu
Lulu rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2014
Brent
Brent rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Grace O'Keeffe
Grace O'Keeffe rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2010
Cori Anderson
Cori Anderson rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2010
Hope
Hope rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2008
Scott Barton
Scott Barton rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2011
Furious Love
Furious Love rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2016
Daniela
Daniela rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2009
Zachary
Zachary rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Fred
Fred rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2008
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2008
Kim McCleary
Kim McCleary rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Divine Horsemen: The Living Gods of Haiti
  • Finding Soul on the Path of Orisa: A West African Spiritual Tradition
  • Mama Lola: A Vodou Priestess in Brooklyn (Comparative Studies in Religion and Society)
  • Jambalaya: The Natural Woman's Book of Personal Charms and Practical Rituals
  • Conversations with Ogotemmêli: An Introduction to Dogon Religious Ideas
  • The Goddesses and Gods of Old Europe: Myths and Cult Images, New and Updated Edition
  • In The Break: The Aesthetics Of The Black Radical Tradition
  • When We Ruled: The Ancient and Medieval History of Black Civilisations
  • Making the Gods Work for You: The Astrological Language of the Psyche
  • Kali: The Feminine Force
  • Tell My Horse: Voodoo and Life in Haiti and Jamaica
  • From Babylon to Timbuktu: A History of the Ancient Black Races Including the Black Hebrews
  • The Spirit of a Man: A Vision of Transformation for Black Men and the Women Who Love Them
  • The Once and Future Goddess
  • The Crisis of the Negro Intellectual: A Historical Analysis of the Failure of Black Leadership
  • The Gothic Image: Religious Art in France of the Thirteenth Century
  • The White Man's Burden: Historical Origins of Racism in the United States
  • Haiti: The Tumultuous History - From Pearl of the Caribbean to Broken Nation
Robert Farris Thompson is a professor of the Art History at Yale University. He specializes in African and African-American art.
More about Robert Farris Thompson...