Start by marking “Maze: Solve the World's Most Challenging Puzzle” as Want to Read:
Maze: Solve the World's Most Challenging Puzzle

Maze: Solve the World's Most Challenging Puzzle

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  28 reviews

This is not really a book. This is a building in the shape of a book...a maze. Each numbered page depicts a room in the maze. Tempted? Test your wits against mine. I guarantee that my maze will challenge you to think in ways you've never thought before. But beware. One wrong turn and you may never escape!

Published November 15th 1985 by Owl Books

To ask other readers questions about Maze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maze

Hip E.
Jan 20, 2011 Hip E. marked it as to-read
There is a 100% chance that this book is better than "House of Leaves."
Jul 09, 2009 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: puzzle and riddle fanatics or cryptographers and code breakers
Shelves: adult
Good grief. This book will be the death of me. I found it years ago, still haven't solved it, and sometimes it feels like the book isn't even real- like I spookily stumbled across the only copy that changes as I am reading it. I have never even seen this book anywhere except for the one store I bought it from... you can probably find it online I'd assume.

The entire book is a maze, each page a different room and you flip through the pages like a Choose Your Own Adventure book (a CYOA book on cra
Nate D
Mar 14, 2011 Nate D marked it as limbo
Recommends it for: Aspirant Theseuses (Thesei?)
Recommended to Nate D by: The Believer
Shelves: puzzles
A strange picture-book labyrinth with eerily cross-hatch-shadowed rooms leading into other empty rooms leading into still others, like an interactive version of Edward Gorey's The West Wing, perhaps. Not a book of mazes, but a maze that is a book, and seemingly far trickier in all senses than any seeming children's book should be. I'm becoming convinced that the entirety needs to be decoded before the "path" will reveal itself. Found via a reference in the Believer that instantly pricked my late ...more
Izzi
This. Freaking. Book. Do not be fooled by the fact that it has pictures. This is not a book for children, despite the fact that I absolutely loved it as a child, even though I could never solve it.
I have not solved this yet, or even come slightly close. (There are many things I am willing to use internet walkthroughs for, but this is not one of them. If I did, I would dishonor my family for generations and probably be exiled from society and have to live in shame.) It is near impossible to solve
Christian Petrie
As a kid I remember reading this and thought it was interesting. I don't recall solving it. Years later my son picks this book up, and I give it a try. I still can't solve.

Maze is similar to a Choose Your Own Adventure book. You select which room and try to get to the middle of the maze and back. It is harder than it seems. There are probably ways to cheat and solve this, especially with the Internet these days.

I can see this book entertaining kids for a while, but then getting them frustrated.
Seth
Aug 26, 2007 Seth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes pictures, anyone who likes to be lost in another world
Shelves: masterpieces
It isn't the world's most challenging puzzle.
It isn't a very hard maze.

But even knowing the way to the center and back, I love to travel through this book, wandering from room to room looking at the scenery and enjoying the sense of space, the changing light, and the wry jabs from the narrator.

I never bothered looking for the "hidden puzzle" with the cash prize (puzzle-books with cash prizes were a fad when this came out), but I expect it was a let-down anyway.

Take a look at this if you want to
Gwen
My best friend and I became entangled in this book when we were in middle school. It seriously messed with our poor pubescent brains. We found our way to the end of the maze (somehow), but could not answer the question of who the maze builder was. It drove us to distraction trying to figure it out. We guessed Elvis, and God (whoever that was) and The Devil and I can't even remember who else. For years the book was something half remembered from our fevered adolescent minds, but then i found a co ...more
Lee
Sakura Yue Michaelis
This is a puzzle, a maze-book. First page gives you 4 options and each number of door leads to another page (like Choose your own adventure). Most of the pages (places) have 2 options only. It is for children, but man, it is hard. I still did not solve it (in real life I have a terrible sense of direction anyway). I'll keep trying though.
Danielle Deen
Such a fun book! I have not completely solved it yet, so I suppose I should keep this under currently reading?
Chris Haggqvist
Brilliant and beautiful. Exceptionally difficult but well worth the time and mind power used to solve this puzzle.
M.
Apr 28, 2011 M. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I only spent about two hours with this, but it was a fun two hours. It seems I don't have the drive to obsess over these things like I used to. I don't think I even made it to room 45, though when I went to 45 to backtrack, it took me to rooms I swear I had been in, but apparently I wasn't paying enough attention to realize that I was almost there. The drawings are very interesting. One of my student workers walked up and asked if I was reading an Edward Gorey book, which seems apt. There's also ...more
Ben Rowe
Will keep revisiting this - it is a book that can be seen, interpreted and enjoyed in many ways. On one level it is a fun story that can be enjoyed by all ages, a kind of choose your own adventure type story. On other levels it is a puzzle or series of puzzles that use a wide variety of skills to solve. There are messages, clues and puzzles hidden within the pages that can be enjoyed and puzzled over long after solutions to the puzzles are either deduced or googled.
Clare Marie
Some girl left this at my house after a sleepover and I never gave it back. I was fascinated and tortured by it, though I never figured out the answer and don't think I really "got" what the "other mysteries" were. A few years later, one of the first things I ever did on the internet was look up the answer, because I still couldn't figure it out. I'm a great big cheater.
Patrick
We stumbled on to this at my in-laws this summer and Adam became obsessed with it. It really is a lot of fun. I finally just now used the internet to find the answers. It's clever and weird. The internet shows some things, but I'm curious if there is meaning in every room. This was originally a puzzle worth $10,000 to the first to solve it back in the 80's.
Neven
Aug 29, 2011 Neven added it
I'm terrible at open-ended puzzles because I never get any sense of whether I'm moving in the right direction. The solution to a good puzzle makes you go, "A-ha! Of course!" After two hours with 'Maze', I never had that feeling. I still made what seemed like arbitrary, any-choice-works decisions.
Lisa
This was a family present back in the early 90s. Even after all this time, I still remember it. You have to solve riddles and visual clues to get from room to room. I've marked this book as "children" but really all ages in the household enjoyed it. If you like puzzles, this is a good find.
mika
I read this when i was a youngster. It's not really a graphic novel, but "literary recreation," according to the cataloging information. It's pretty sinister and fun. I don't really understand how my mother decided to get it for us but I think it was cool of her.
Angela
I spent an entire summer as part of a theater troupe working on this book with my friends!! It was sinister, creepy, and enchanting!!! LOVED IT! Definately worth checking out!
Amy
Brilliant! Not a book, but a maze! If you are a gamer/puzzler, this is the book for you! Too difficult for kids.
Sara Q
Oct 18, 2011 Sara Q marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction, visual
Mentioned by Reif Larson in an essay for The Late American Novel. A non-linear adventure of sorts.
Kshanika
I have marked this as read with some trepidation, because it's not actually very booklike.
Rebecca
Jun 24, 2010 Rebecca marked it as to-read
Lily D. says this is the most engrossing book ever. Sadly, it's out of print! Wahh!
Arron
Crazy book/puzzle/choose-your-own-adventure madness. Lots of fun.
Audrey
Oct 16, 2008 Audrey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: idiots
Recommended to Audrey by: the book adds
I checked...it's litterally impossible to do!
Andy
Feb 05, 2010 Andy added it
Perhaps the most entrancing book ever.
Tim Howard
Tim Howard marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Incredible Incas
  • The Dark Secret of Weatherend (Anthony Monday Mysteries, #2)
  • Vicious Veg (Horrible Science)
  • Handel, Who Knew What He Liked
  • Japanese the Manga Way: An Illustrated Guide to Grammar and Structure
  • Chicken Soup for the Golden Soul: Heartwarming Stories for People 60 and Over (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • The Otaku Encyclopedia: An Insider's Guide to the Subculture of Cool Japan
  • Aha! Gotcha: Paradoxes to Puzzle & Delight (Tools for Transformation)
  • The Other Statue
  • The Dragons Are Singing Tonight
  • The Tin Forest
  • Fantasia Mathematica
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers
The Tree in the Wood A Gift for the King: A Persian Tale Two Travelers The Crab Prince: An Entertainment for Children Farmyard Song