Start by marking “Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs” as Want to Read:
Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs

Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  36 reviews
As the plastic bag is increasingly banished from stores, the cloth bag is stepping up to save the day. Whether toting groceries, books, baby supplies, gardening tools, or a wallet and some electronic gadgets, eco-conscious crafters will find a bag design to fit their needs in "Sew What! Bags." The focus is on simple, pattern-free sewing that requires no previous experience ...more
Published February 4th 2009 by Storey Publishing (first published February 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sew What! Bags, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sew What! Bags

JayeL
I was sitting at a cafe' when I started looking at this book. I glanced through it first and decided that I liked the format and the layout, but wasn't enamored of the projects. I didn't see any of the bags that I thought were useful looking.

"Listen to the Mustn'ts child, listen to the Don'ts.
Listen to the Shouldn'ts, the Impossibles, the Won'ts.
Listen to the Never Haves, then listen close to me.
Anything can happen, child, anything can be."
-Shel Silverstein

That poem is how the text of the book s
Guin
I sew what to make bags! Picked this up a few years ago but finally got around to reading portions of it and it lead me to getting off my butt and finally start putting my sewing/craft room together. I will using a few of the patterns and information found in this great book really soon.
June Jacobs
This is a good book for beginning and intermediate sewers. The designs are varied and fun. The stepped-out illustrations and photography are excellent.

###########
Jacel Jones
Recommend to anyone I tere s t in reading a bag from scratch or pattern.
Michelle BF
Cute projects that are stylish and trendy right now. I did think it's funny that there's not only an eye glass case but a garden shear bag, a lip gloss bag, a sandwhich pouch, a business card bag, and a map case. Very amusing! They missed a water bottle bag!

My favorite was the messanger bag and the crafter's tool belt (which admittedly I'd never use).

Sew What Bags
Mckinley
Clear instructions. All sorts of bags.
Ashley
It was pretty cool! All sorts of neat patterns that I could use to make little (or big) bags for all sort of things. Both of my brothers have decided that, once we get a sewing machine, I will be making them each a DJ style bag. Designed after their favorite games/movies. Nicky - an Indiana Jones themed one, and Jeff - a Pokemon styled one (with a hoodie to match..) I personally thought the Tissue case, map sack, and ditty bags were awesome! (I also liked the slightly larger version of the DJ ba ...more
Kara
Another great book in this series. Includes a full range of projects, and a good way for the zipper-jittery to take the leap. The smaller, simpler projects can be completed rather quickly if you've been sewing for a while, so I let my 4-year old pick out the fabric she wants from my scrap bag and less than an hour later -- a tissue holder! Not having to deal with cutting patterns is a plus. Haven't tackled any of the more complicated projects yet, but glad this book is on my shelf.
Stephanie
Great book for someone with a little sewing experience but wants to be able to take a basic construction and run with it. I made a little purse from this book and I love it, but I also love that based on that one purse, I feel like I can take that pattern into so many different directions. I also have the Sew What! Skirts book but have yet to make anything from it yet.
This book helped me get back into sewing again. I love it because there are no patterns (and patterns scare me!) So far, I've made a sunglasses case and am excited about working my way up to more advanced projects. Lexie Barnes' instructional style is really casual and easy to follow too, so it is more like a friend explaining how to do everything. I love that!
Staci
Nov 30, 2009 Staci rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sewers, Crafty People
Shelves: 2009-reads
I'm glad that I picked up this little book. It has inspired me to get my sewing machine out and to try to make myself a messenger bag. I like the examples that the author gave but I wish there would have been more styles to choose from. The colors that she used for examples were gorgeous and now I want to get lost in a fabric store!!
Debra
The author presents 18 bags that can be made by the home sewer. I found the projects modern and attractive. After checking the book out at the local library, I elected not to purchase a copy, but I did photocopy two of the projects for my personal collection: a wall caddy and a child's tiny tote. Recommended.
Carmen Carson
This book is easy to understand for a beginning seamstress. The author goes into great detail in the first two chapters on the sewing techniques necessary to complete the projects, and the projects themselves have illustrations and photos for every step. I love this book! I've made four tote bags so far.
JulieAnn
A great book if you want a few basic ideas for bag-making and want to be able to customize your piece without a pattern. I jumped right into the "daredevil" level messenger bag and was able to make it easily in just a few hours, and I'm no expert or "daredevil."
Kimberli
Very simple and easily explained bags and organizers for home, market & travel. Good book for the beginner.
Projects include: Eyeglass Case, Tissue Case, Totes, Hanging Wall Organizers & a Tool Apron
Book appropriate for sewing level: Beginner and above
Polly
Nice pictures, but none of these are exactly original or taxing. If you can cut a square or rectangle of fabric and sew some straight seams, you've got pretty much every bag in this book, assuming you wanted to bother, which I don't.
Miki
I like big bags and I cannot lie...because - hello! - they hold a lot of stuff! Some of these bags were for single items...SMALL single items. I fail to see the point of making a bag for one thing. So what?
Meredith
May 05, 2009 Meredith rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning bag-sewers
Advanced bag-sewers will likely be bored by the simplistic patterns, but for a beginner bag-sewer like me it's the perfect idea book. I plan to make a messenger bag inspired by if not from their pattern.
Kerry
This book is fabulous!! Now I just have to find the time to actually attempt to sew some of these things. I've read the instructions and it's really straight forward so whish me luck!
Jo
I'm not a pattern person so I loved the non template approach of designing your own project. The practical steps & ideas on how to do your own designing were very helpful.
Cherie
B Some fun bags, but most of the ones I liked are labeled "Pro" level, which I def am not! Some fun stuff in here, all "pattern free" customizable bag projects for sewers.
Natalee
it was fun. VERY easy for starters who have sewed but never made their own patterns. I recommend getting your sewing legs with this book before jumping into skirts!
Rebecca
The next time I sew a bag I'll use one of the cute designs in this how-to book. Or, maybe I'll just be happy imagining that I'm going to make another bag. :->
Tubaville
This is a great book for someone who hates to follow patterns like me. I am going to try a few of the projects. It's nice to get new ideas.
Lisa
I think I am disappointed in this one. Lots of small bags that I will never make. Good basics of bag construction though.
Think&Pink 2CleverBlog
being a non-sewer type I liked this book had beginner projects and that it was all customizable. Is that a word? "Customizable"?
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
easy to follow illustrations and excellent examples
loved the fabric and project choices -- they were well-photographed
hidwood
Great book! It explains all manner of terms and is written in easy to understand language.
Natalya
Full of projects,tips,and clear instructions with lots of room to make each bag your own.
  • Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • Sew & Stow: 31 Fun Sewing Projects to Carry, Hold, and Organize Your Stuff, Your Home, and Yourself!
  • Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching
  • One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Fabric Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
  • The Bag Making Bible: The Complete Creative Guide to Sewing Your Own Bags [With Pattern(s)]
  • Amy Butler's Style Stitches: 12 Easy Ways to 26 Wonderful Bags
  • Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
  • Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe
  • Sewing Green: Projects and Ideas for Stitching with Organic, Repurposed, and Recycled Fabrics
  • Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew
  • Sew Darn Cute: 30 Sweet & Simple Projects to Sew & Embellish
  • Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified
  • Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
  • Simply Sublime Bags: 30 No-Sew, Low-Sew Projects
  • Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To
Lexie Barnes is a spirited accessories designer living a noisy life in the quiet Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts. Lexie thrives on the entreprenurial energy of running multiple ventures with her husband Cory Barnes and keeping up with their beloved troupe of boys, Henry, Sebastian, Monty and Calvin.

Lexie's first book, Sew What! Bags, is a top selling craft book and her next one, Sew Up a H
More about Lexie Barnes...
Sew Up a Home Makeover: 50 Simple Sewing Projects to Transform Your Space My Sewn Home: 50 Easy Projects for Your Home and Garden. Lexie Barnes