Start by marking “The Heldan” as Want to Read:
The Heldan

The Heldan

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Summoned to the Held fortress where she is to train as a Heldan warrior, Senea soon learns that she will need every weapon--including an ancient forbidden Held practice--to defeat the Ja'sid.
Mass Market Paperback, 326 pages
Published March 2nd 1994 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Heldan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heldan

A very intriguing world. A civilization that lives & is safe because of the laws that keep them trapped... and yet, they don't see it. The main character finds herself suddenly recruited into the Held - and into a new life. She is dead to her family, and they are dead to her - she will never see them again.

The Heldlen (Heldlord) sees her, and senses something... different. So he breaks tradition and takes her as his apprentice.

IT is a wonderfully written story - one that kept me engaged all
Althea Ann
Read this because I have a goal to read all of the Del Rey Discovery books. Some of them are very, very good. This one, however, is not.
It reminded me of a not-as-good, much shorter version of Kate Elliott's Jaran. (This was published two years later.) The stories aren't that similar, but the mix of romance and fantasy gives it a similar feel. However, Jaran's romance won me over. The romance here didn't work for me at all. The people who fell for each other did so out of the blue; I didn't feel
Steph
This book has been one of my guilty pleasures since high school, so I was excited to see it available as an e-book. It hasn't held up so well to my adult sensibilities (I find Senea too passive as a character and was bothered that the threat of sexual abuse among the Helden is not addressed), but it's still one of those books that makes me happy.

The e-book version available on Kindle is a revised edition. There are very few changes to the content, all good. They include better descriptions of th
J

Re-read 29 Jul - 1 Aug 14
I honestly don't know why I like this book so much. But I guess there are just some things you can't explain. There's just something about it that makes me come back to it and read it again and again. I wouldn't say this is the best book I've read, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Heather
I found this at a used bookstore and gave it a try. It was suprisingly so wonderful that I had to go and check out if the author had any other books. Sadly, I've only ever found one other book by her.
Sherra
Sherra marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Suchitra
Suchitra is currently reading it
Dec 25, 2014
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Brook
Brook is currently reading it
May 08, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 22, 2014
Aerulan
Aerulan marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Phil
Phil added it
Apr 25, 2013
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2013