Start by marking “The Heldan” as Want to Read:
The Heldan

The Heldan

Summoned to the Held fortress where she is to train as a Heldan warrior, Senea soon learns that she will need every weapon--including an ancient forbidden Held practice--to defeat the Ja'sid.
Mass Market Paperback, 326 pages
Published March 2nd 1994 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Heldan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heldan

Jan 26, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
A very intriguing world. A civilization that lives & is safe because of the laws that keep them trapped... and yet, they don't see it. The main character finds herself suddenly recruited into the Held - and into a new life. She is dead to her family, and they are dead to her - she will never see them again.

The Heldlen (Heldlord) sees her, and senses something... different. So he breaks tradition and takes her as his apprentice.

IT is a wonderfully written story - one that kept me engaged all
Althea Ann
Nov 24, 2011 Althea Ann rated it it was ok
Read this because I have a goal to read all of the Del Rey Discovery books. Some of them are very, very good. This one, however, is not.
It reminded me of a not-as-good, much shorter version of Kate Elliott's Jaran. (This was published two years later.) The stories aren't that similar, but the mix of romance and fantasy gives it a similar feel. However, Jaran's romance won me over. The romance here didn't work for me at all. The people who fell for each other did so out of the blue; I didn't feel
Steph
Jun 04, 2013 Steph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been one of my guilty pleasures since high school, so I was excited to see it available as an e-book. It hasn't held up so well to my adult sensibilities (I find Senea too passive as a character and was bothered that the threat of sexual abuse among the Helden is not addressed), but it's still one of those books that makes me happy.

The e-book version available on Kindle is a revised edition. There are very few changes to the content, all good. They include better descriptions of th
Sep 09, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-a-copy
I honestly don't know why I like this book so much. But I guess there are just some things you can't explain. There's just something about it that makes me come back to it and read it again and again. I wouldn't say this is the best book I've read, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Heather
Mar 08, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
I found this at a used bookstore and gave it a try. It was suprisingly so wonderful that I had to go and check out if the author had any other books. Sadly, I've only ever found one other book by her.
Angela James
Angela James rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2012
KimberinAK
KimberinAK rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2016
tiffany johnson
tiffany johnson rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Derbyl
Derbyl rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Elizabeth
Nov 21, 2008 Elizabeth rated it liked it
TBR
Anna
Anna rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2012
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2012
Gina
Gina rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2015
Mai-ling Sze
Mai-ling Sze rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2008
Pam
Pam rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2013
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2012
Inna
Inna rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2010
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2014
Lynn Dixon
Lynn Dixon rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2009
Sinda
Sinda rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2011
Vittoria
Vittoria rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2012
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2009
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2013
Kat
Kat rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2011
J
Aug 02, 2014 J rated it really liked it

Re-read 29 Jul - 1 Aug 14
Sem
Sem rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2012
M
M rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2009
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014