Start by marking “I, Rhoda Manning, Go Hunting with My Daddy” as Want to Read:
I, Rhoda Manning, Go Hunting with My Daddy

I, Rhoda Manning, Go Hunting with My Daddy

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  364 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A new Ellen Gilchrist collection is always an event for the legions of her loyal readers. In I, Rhoda Manning, Go Hunting with My Daddy, Gilchrist writes again of one of her most beloved characters, with the hilarity, wisdom, and poignancy that marks all of her fiction. Here, a clutch of stories are told in the voice of Rhoda--as a child, as a divorced mother of three sons ...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published August 27th 2003 by Random House Audio (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about I, Rhoda Manning, Go Hunting with My Daddy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I, Rhoda Manning, Go Hunting with My Daddy

Julie
Apr 30, 2016 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, southern
Well, what do you say about this book ? First of all, I bought it in audio, and was disappointed in the content . The book starts out with a little Southern girl who keeps begging her dad to take her hunting . It sounded really cute, and I DID like that story . I knew it was short stories ,so assumed they'd all be about this little girl, but the book jumps from place to place, so the next story may be about when this little girl is married for her 3rd time . The next story may be about the unusu ...more
Cynthia
Mar 30, 2008 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It's a gift for a girl to have that kind of father & it's also a curse. It's a gift because you have a safe and fortunate childhood and can grow up strong and unafraid. It's a curse because you cannot reproduce it in the adult world. No man can be that wonderful ever again because only a child's mind can really comprehend wonder."
Maile
Feb 15, 2011 Maile rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love to read before bed, so a collection of short stories is an ideal choice. I can read a single story, then go to bed without being compelled to keep reading. The stories will take over my mind as I try to sleep, finding their ways to my dreams.

Gilchrist writes fascinating stories, with rich characters. The first few all use the same cast of characters, the same family; Rhoda Manning in particular. This was confusing in a sense, because these stories span many years of the family, sometimes
Elizabeth Sulzby
May 28, 2013 Elizabeth Sulzby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I have read almost all if not all of Ellen Gilchrist's books. Many of them, like this one, are collections of stories about different members of a family and close acquaintances. Each story is self-contained and very colorful, worth reading separately. Gilchrist selects stories for her collections that acquaint the reader with a character at different points in time but not in chronological order. We may find she's reverted to a grown-up character's childhood in a more recent book, for instances ...more
Julia
Feb 02, 2010 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Ellen Gilchrist is comfort brain food for me. Her characters, while memorable, are remarkably similar to one another in attitudes and situation, but somehow reading more and more and yet more stories about the same beautiful, spoiled, lucky people never bores me. Maybe it is because they are confident and determined, and shake off their troubles with seeming ease. It's perfect escapism that somehow inspires.
Karen
Nov 12, 2010 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, audio-book
I have never been disappointed by Ellen Gilchrist. I think this collection of short stories has to be one of the best books by her -- but I think that every time I read something she's written. The reader was well-chosen -- a great voice for these stories.
Marsha
A collection of short stories, the first several are about the same characters, making it a bit confusing when the rest are not! But all feature well-drawn, believable characters.
Mckinley
Oct 20, 2010 Mckinley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story, heroine
Really liked _Rhoda: A Life in Stories_ so was even more disappointed with this than I might normally be.
Kelley Parker
Aug 28, 2012 Kelley Parker rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: southern

Good bedtime stories. Rhoda is an original
Nicole
Mar 08, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
loving it so far. it's different, i like that!
Rebecca
Ara Dé
Sep 01, 2013 Ara Dé is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm
bill knibbe
bill knibbe marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Stephanie Norris
Stephanie Norris rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Elizabeth Keener
Elizabeth Keener rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
J.S Lean.
J.S Lean. marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Tina
Tina rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
James Peebles
James Peebles rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Eleni
Eleni rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Diane
Diane added it
Feb 21, 2016
Heather Bachelder
Heather Bachelder rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Dot Middlemass
Dot Middlemass rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Cassondra Ragan
Cassondra Ragan rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
  • Same Place, Same Things: Stories
  • Almost Innocent
  • The Wapshot Scandal
  • How Far She Went
  • Black Hornet (Lew Griffin, #3)
  • Oyster
  • Shoebox Train Wreck
  • A Southern Family
  • Madeleine's Ghost
  • When the Messenger Is Hot
Ellen Gilchrist (born February 20, 1935) is an American novelist, short story writer, and poet. She won a National Book Award for her 1984 collection of short stories, Victory Over Japan.

Source: Wikipedia.
More about Ellen Gilchrist...