Start by marking “Vaclav Havel: A Political Tragedy In Six Acts” as Want to Read:
Vaclav Havel: A Political Tragedy In Six Acts

Vaclav Havel: A Political Tragedy In Six Acts

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
This authorized biography of Havel, based on unrestricted access to him, his circle, and even his enemies, is the first definitive account of one of the great moral and political leaders of our time, a vivid portrait of the tumultuous events of this century. Begun as European colonialism was dying and fascism gripped the continent, Havel's life has been shaped and determin ...more
Published May 1st 2000 by Basic Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Vaclav Havel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vaclav Havel

Ondřej Puczok
Můj první kompletně přečtený životopis nějaké osobnosti a tedy i logicky první kompletně přečtený životopis prvního českého prezidenta Václava Havla. A mám z něj poněkud rozporuplné myšlenky...

Zatímco začátek je velmi zajímavý, doplňuje části života Havla o kterých nevím, doplňuje historii jeho příbuzných a vše zasazuje do kontextu - velmi historicky zajímavě popsaného - tehdejšího Československa. Spolu s tím, jak v knize Havel stárne, kniha začíná ztrácet svou zajímavost.
1) Viděl jsem několik d
Dave
May 13, 2010 Dave rated it really liked it
The weaknesses - a bit too long. Also some might find the ending, the fact that actually governing is harder than criticizing a government, fairly predictable. I think the book has many more strengths, among them -

- Even though you can anticipate the ending, like a Shakespeare tragedy, you want to see how it plays out, and the author does this fairly well.

- I really enjoyed the sections on Havel's plays and their relation to his ideas. I had always assumed that a 'political' play must be deathl
David Miller
Sep 17, 2013 David Miller rated it it was amazing
This is as biography should be: concerned equally with the lives of people and the ideas that give their lives meaning. Often it leans hard on those ideas, dropping out of narrative in favor of explications of theories of power and the individual. But this is necessary, because without that context, even a life like Havel's is only a dull play.

Keane's writing is energetic and personal, but extremely focused, setting a tone for some of the best writing on Communism in history that I have ever rea
Candace
I read this book a couple years ago for my Senior Theatre Seminar class in college. The class was centered around Havel and his work in Political Theatre. This book became sort of the cornerstone of our class discussions and was a great resource for putting Havel's plays into historical context. Although I'm not usually a fan of biographical works, I do find Havel's life fascinating. It's definitely not a book for everyone, but I would recommend this book to anyone studying Theatre History or an ...more
Robert Wechsler
May 02, 2013 Robert Wechsler rated it liked it
Shelves: bio-autobio
An odd biography. Not really of artistic significance unfortunately, but oddly structured, often opinionated, not at all academic, critical without being sensational or ideological. It does an especially good job with the dissident milieu, and a decent job with Havel’s philosophy, although not enough with its origins (e.g., very little about Masaryk or Capek; but Havel confesses that he was a devotee of Masaryk in ethics, and liked Capek’s interest in the heroism of everyday life and that indivi ...more
Michelle
Sep 14, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
This was a very long informative book. To get through it you really need to have a special interest in Czech politics/culture and history. Although there were a lot of references I didn't understand and I did have to re-read a lot of pages it definitely gave me some insight into the lifestyle and mentality of the times in Czechoslovakia.

I will say that there are some parts of the book the drag but overall I enjoyed it
Sandu
Jan 05, 2015 Sandu rated it liked it
Shelves: did_not_finish
Some facts of the book are impossible to check or to know. The format of the book is very long, dense and complicated... but nevertheless a very insightful look into the life of the remarkable Vaclav Havel! I guess V.H. himself would find this book 'a little not so true'
Kirsten Tautfest
Mar 31, 2016 Kirsten Tautfest rated it really liked it
This has been at my bedside to start for a while. Format is interesting for a bio, makes it go down on easy to swallow chunks. Well researched.
Jim
Feb 09, 2012 Jim rated it liked it
A lot of the time, it felt like it was more about the author's musings on political philosophy. Havel sometimes seemed to be incidental.
Hudson Baird
Hudson Baird rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Andres
Andres marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Jordan Acebo-Hermiller
Jordan Acebo-Hermiller marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Patrick Kara
Patrick Kara marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Michal Hapala
Michal Hapala rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Kay
Kay is currently reading it
Jan 20, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Agnieszka Zając
Agnieszka Zając is currently reading it
Dec 27, 2015
Damián Tullio
Damián Tullio marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Alpy Myung
Alpy Myung marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Mackenzie Marshall
Mackenzie Marshall rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2015
Manuel
Manuel marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Bina
Bina marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Tobit Chirayath
Tobit Chirayath marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Matúš Franko
Matúš Franko rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015