Start by marking “Biblical Literacy: The Most Important People, Events, and Ideas of the Hebrew Bible” as Want to Read:

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  13 reviews
As he did so brilliantly in his bestselling book, jewish literacy,Joseph Teluslikin once again mines a subject of, Jewish history and religion so richly that his book becomes an inspiring companion and a fundamental reference. In Biblical Lileracy, Telushkin turns his attention to the Hebrew Bible (also known as the Old Testament), the most iniluential series of books in h ...more
Published November 26th 2002 by William Morrow (first published October 8th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Biblical Literacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biblical Literacy

Rustin klafka
so far it's an easy read. it doesn't have as much information as i was hoping. i wanted a book that would give insight into the hebrew culture and why jewish believers think the way they do about scripture.
In search of a book to discuss the cultural relevance of the Hebrew and Christian bibles, this was highly-reviewed. Unfortunately, it was not what I ended up wanting. More a text for discussion of integral parts of the texts, the information I wanted - the sections of the Torah and Christian Bibles that are now major parts of culture only come as appendices at the very end. Still worth a read, but not what I'd been after.
Michael Benami Doyle
This is a terrific resource for learning about the entire Hebrew Bible. It goes way beyond the five books of the Torah and covers the Writings and Prophets in detail, and is one of the only books I've seen that does this. It also lists the 613 mitzvot one by one, with an explanation. For getting a handle on the Writings and Prophets and browsing through all the mitzvot in one place, this book is invaluable.

However, due to the nature of its focus, it's denser and less varied then Telushkin's oth
John Miller
I have a simmering disdain for organized religion. That said this book is amazingly good, it covers the old testament and nicely summarizes the chapters while taking out the tedious who begat whom parts and ends each chapter with a section detailing issues of debate in the religious community and the consensus on these by religious scholars.
This book will increase your understanding of the tenets of the Judeo-Christian faith. I would highly recommend it to believers and nonbelievers alike since
I'm currently reading this as a companion to the weekly Torah portion, and I'm loving it. Addresses some of the problems and confusion I've had with certain portions (like why did Noah get so very angry with Ham and consequently with Canaan?). Excellent guide to the Hebrew bible. It even includes a list of the 613 mitzvot with citations at the end. Indispensbable reference book.
This book is a good way to get a synopsis of the Torah, the prophets, and the writings. It also inspired me to launch yet another blog.

in which I list a commandment a day as highlighted in the back of Rabbi Telushkin's book.
Matt West
Like his other books (Jewish Literacy and Jewish Wisdom), this is another survey book that will give you the Jewish perspective on the Hebrew Bible. A good read for beginners like me.

David Rullo
A great cliff notes version of the Bible. All the major stories, lessons, laws, prophets, etc are here. Like cliff notes, you miss a lot of the details but you get a great overview.
A must-read for those who have no idea what the Bible is all about, as well as those looking to refresh their knowledge.
Craig J.
"Biblical Literacy: The Most Important People, Events, and Ideas of the Hebrew Bible by Joseph Telushkin (1997)"
Aaron Carlberg
Another rabbinical book. Interesting to read but - well, we all have our issues.
Jul 10, 2007 amanda added it
Recommended by Rabbi and a good reference.
Clayton Brannon
Clayton Brannon marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Gerald marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Ben added it
Oct 24, 2015
Nicole Westbrook
Nicole Westbrook marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Joe marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Anna Pajunen
Anna Pajunen marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Matthew Kieswetter
Matthew Kieswetter is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2015
Mary marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Ahmad marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
  • Tanakh: The Holy Scriptures
  • The Rebbe's Army: Inside the World of Chabad-Lubavitch
  • This is My God: A Guidebook to Judaism
  • The Essential Talmud
Joseph Telushkin (born 1948) is an American rabbi, lecturer, and best selling author. His more than 15 books include several volumes about Jewish ethics, Jewish Literacy, as well as "Rebbe", a New York Times best seller released in June 2014

Telushkin was raised in Brooklyn, New York, the son of Solomon and Hellen Telushkin. He attended Yeshiva of Flatbush where met his future co-author Dennis Prag
More about Joseph Telushkin...