Start by marking “Biblical Literacy: The Most Important People, Events, and Ideas of the Hebrew Bible” as Want to Read:

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  13 reviews
As he did so brilliantly in his bestselling book, jewish literacy,Joseph Teluslikin once again mines a subject of, Jewish history and religion so richly that his book becomes an inspiring companion and a fundamental reference. In Biblical Lileracy, Telushkin turns his attention to the Hebrew Bible (also known as the Old Testament), the most iniluential series of books in h ...more
Published November 26th 2002 by William Morrow (first published October 8th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Biblical Literacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biblical Literacy

Rustin klafka
so far it's an easy read. it doesn't have as much information as i was hoping. i wanted a book that would give insight into the hebrew culture and why jewish believers think the way they do about scripture.
Darcey
In search of a book to discuss the cultural relevance of the Hebrew and Christian bibles, this was highly-reviewed. Unfortunately, it was not what I ended up wanting. More a text for discussion of integral parts of the texts, the information I wanted - the sections of the Torah and Christian Bibles that are now major parts of culture only come as appendices at the very end. Still worth a read, but not what I'd been after.
Michael Doyle
This is a terrific resource for learning about the entire Hebrew Bible. It goes way beyond the five books of the Torah and covers the Writings and Prophets in detail, and is one of the only books I've seen that does this. It also lists the 613 mitzvot one by one, with an explanation. For getting a handle on the Writings and Prophets and browsing through all the mitzvot in one place, this book is invaluable.

However, due to the nature of its focus, it's denser and less varied then Telushkin's oth
John Miller
Charlie
I have a simmering disdain for organized religion. That said this book is amazingly good, it covers the old testament and nicely summarizes the chapters while taking out the tedious who begat whom parts and ends each chapter with a section detailing issues of debate in the religious community and the consensus on these by religious scholars.
This book will increase your understanding of the tenets of the Judeo-Christian faith. I would highly recommend it to believers and nonbelievers alike since
I'm currently reading this as a companion to the weekly Torah portion, and I'm loving it. Addresses some of the problems and confusion I've had with certain portions (like why did Noah get so very angry with Ham and consequently with Canaan?). Excellent guide to the Hebrew bible. It even includes a list of the 613 mitzvot with citations at the end. Indispensbable reference book.
Don
This book is a good way to get a synopsis of the Torah, the prophets, and the writings. It also inspired me to launch yet another blog.

in which I list a commandment a day as highlighted in the back of Rabbi Telushkin's book.
Matt West
Like his other books (Jewish Literacy and Jewish Wisdom), this is another survey book that will give you the Jewish perspective on the Hebrew Bible. A good read for beginners like me.

MW
David Rullo
A great cliff notes version of the Bible. All the major stories, lessons, laws, prophets, etc are here. Like cliff notes, you miss a lot of the details but you get a great overview.
Christina
A must-read for those who have no idea what the Bible is all about, as well as those looking to refresh their knowledge.
Craig J.
"Biblical Literacy: The Most Important People, Events, and Ideas of the Hebrew Bible by Joseph Telushkin (1997)"
Aaron Carlberg
Another rabbinical book. Interesting to read but - well, we all have our issues.
amanda
Jul 10, 2007 amanda added it
Recommended by Rabbi and a good reference.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Blossom
Blossom marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Bruce Harris
Bruce Harris marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Peter Mcloughlin
Peter Mcloughlin marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Simcha Wood
Simcha Wood is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2015
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Chackopay
Chackopay marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
  • Jewish With Feeling: A Guide to Meaningful Jewish Practice
  • This is My God: A Guidebook to Judaism
  • Jewish Meditation: A Practical Guide
  • The Essential Talmud
Associate of CLAL, the National Jewish Center for Learning and Leadership.
Ordained at Yeshiva University and Rabbi Telushkin pursued graduate studies in Jewish history at Columbia University.
More about Joseph Telushkin...
Jewish Literacy: The Most Important Things to Know about the Jewish Religion, Its People, and Its History The Book of Jewish Values: A Day-by-Day Guide to Ethical Living Jewish Wisdom Words That Hurt, Words That Heal: How to Choose Words Wisely and Well Rebbe: The Life and Teachings of Menachem M. Schneerson, the Most Influential Rabbi in Modern History