Start by marking “Biblical Literacy: The Most Important People, Events, and Ideas of the Hebrew Bible” as Want to Read:

4.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  218 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In the tradition of Stephen Prothero’s Religious Literacy and Ken Davis’s Don’t Know Much About the Bible, Biblical Literacy is a one-stop course on the Bible that offers readers—whether religious or not—every Bible story and passage they need to know. Professor Tim Beal has selected the Bible stories that have shaped history and our world and provides the key information ...more
Published November 26th 2002 by William Morrow (first published October 8th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Biblical Literacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biblical Literacy

Rustin klafka
Jul 30, 2007 Rustin klafka rated it liked it
so far it's an easy read. it doesn't have as much information as i was hoping. i wanted a book that would give insight into the hebrew culture and why jewish believers think the way they do about scripture.
Darcey
Jan 31, 2014 Darcey rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion, non-fiction
In search of a book to discuss the cultural relevance of the Hebrew and Christian bibles, this was highly-reviewed. Unfortunately, it was not what I ended up wanting. More a text for discussion of integral parts of the texts, the information I wanted - the sections of the Torah and Christian Bibles that are now major parts of culture only come as appendices at the very end. Still worth a read, but not what I'd been after.
Michael Benami Doyle
Jun 16, 2012 Michael Benami Doyle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: judaica
This is a terrific resource for learning about the entire Hebrew Bible. It goes way beyond the five books of the Torah and covers the Writings and Prophets in detail, and is one of the only books I've seen that does this. It also lists the 613 mitzvot one by one, with an explanation. For getting a handle on the Writings and Prophets and browsing through all the mitzvot in one place, this book is invaluable.

However, due to the nature of its focus, it's denser and less varied then Telushkin's oth
John Miller
Jan 22, 2009 John Miller rated it liked it
Charlie
Jan 11, 2009 Charlie rated it it was amazing
I have a simmering disdain for organized religion. That said this book is amazingly good, it covers the old testament and nicely summarizes the chapters while taking out the tedious who begat whom parts and ends each chapter with a section detailing issues of debate in the religious community and the consensus on these by religious scholars.
This book will increase your understanding of the tenets of the Judeo-Christian faith. I would highly recommend it to believers and nonbelievers alike since
Oct 27, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: judaica
I'm currently reading this as a companion to the weekly Torah portion, and I'm loving it. Addresses some of the problems and confusion I've had with certain portions (like why did Noah get so very angry with Ham and consequently with Canaan?). Excellent guide to the Hebrew bible. It even includes a list of the 613 mitzvot with citations at the end. Indispensbable reference book.
Don
Jul 13, 2008 Don rated it liked it
This book is a good way to get a synopsis of the Torah, the prophets, and the writings. It also inspired me to launch yet another blog.

in which I list a commandment a day as highlighted in the back of Rabbi Telushkin's book.
Matt West
May 04, 2009 Matt West rated it liked it
Like his other books (Jewish Literacy and Jewish Wisdom), this is another survey book that will give you the Jewish perspective on the Hebrew Bible. A good read for beginners like me.

MW
David Rullo
Feb 03, 2015 David Rullo rated it really liked it
A great cliff notes version of the Bible. All the major stories, lessons, laws, prophets, etc are here. Like cliff notes, you miss a lot of the details but you get a great overview.
Christina
Mar 12, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it
A must-read for those who have no idea what the Bible is all about, as well as those looking to refresh their knowledge.
Craig Bolton
"Biblical Literacy: The Most Important People, Events, and Ideas of the Hebrew Bible by Joseph Telushkin (1997)"
Aaron Carlberg
Another rabbinical book. Interesting to read but - well, we all have our issues.
amanda
Jul 10, 2007 amanda added it
Recommended by Rabbi and a good reference.
Father Raymond
Father Raymond is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2016
Linda Huang
Linda Huang marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
GeoffWilbur
GeoffWilbur rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Inanna
Inanna rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Maheen Aziza
Maheen Aziza marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Marie Sha
Marie Sha rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Samuel Perez
Samuel Perez marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Nikkeshia Wilson
Nikkeshia Wilson marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
George Kingma
George Kingma marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Sujan Dey
Sujan Dey marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Daniel Heilborn
Daniel Heilborn marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Néstor Maíz Borrelí
Néstor Maíz Borrelí rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Cindy
Cindy is currently reading it
May 11, 2016
Meagan
Meagan marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Ketzen
Ketzen marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
  • Jewish With Feeling: A Guide to Meaningful Jewish Practice
  • This is My God: A Guidebook to Judaism
  • Living a Jewish Life
  • The Rebbe's Army: Inside the World of Chabad-Lubavitch
Joseph Telushkin (born 1948) is an American rabbi, lecturer, and best selling author. His more than 15 books include several volumes about Jewish ethics, Jewish Literacy, as well as "Rebbe", a New York Times best seller released in June 2014

Telushkin was raised in Brooklyn, New York, the son of Solomon and Hellen Telushkin. He attended Yeshiva of Flatbush where met his future co-author Dennis Prag
More about Joseph Telushkin...