Start by marking “Dreamweaver's Dilemma” as Want to Read:
Dreamweaver's Dilemma

Dreamweaver's Dilemma (Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) #9.1)

Contains "Dreamweaver's Dilemma," a previously unpublished novelette set early the author's universe, the Hugo Award-winning "The Mountains of Mourning," a never-before-published Sherlock Holmes pastiche, an interview with Lois McMaster Bujold, and Suford Lewis' Vorkosigan genealogy. Hardbound with cover art by Bob Eggleton.
Published February 1st 1997 by Nesfa Press (first published 1995)

The Crown Tower by Michael J. SullivanAge of Myth by Michael J. SullivanThe Rose and the Thorn by Michael J. SullivanThe Skinsticher's Apprentice by Claribel OrtegaShadow's Passion by Molle McGregor
Prequels
65th out of 76 books — 64 voters
Adventures in the Dream Trade by Neil GaimanTomorrow Happens by David BrinThe One Right Thing by Bruce CovilleQuartet by George R.R. MartinThe Hunters of Pangaea by Stephen Baxter
Boskone Books
22nd out of 41 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Alexa
Oct 10, 2011 Alexa rated it really liked it
This was a delightful surprise. After re-re-re-reading the entire Vorkosigan Saga (my reaction to Cryoburn) I decided to try and get my hands on this, mostly out of curiosity and a touch of O/C. I suppose in my ignorance I was expecting a collection of juvenilia. These are delightful stories from a masterful story-teller.

The Sherlock Holmes piece has a cute little surprise buried in the middle of it. One that, despite numerous hints, I was completely blind-sided by. I loved: "He had the air of a
Wm
Really only of interest to die-hard Bujold fans except:

1. There's a Sherlock Holmes story -- one of Bujold's earliest works -- that quite fun.

2. This book contains the excellent Miles Vorkosigan novella The Mountains of Mourning. Of course, you can also read it for free at Baen's website.
Hillary
Sep 09, 2011 Hillary added it
Shelves: library
I had no idea Shards of Honor started as a Star Trek novel.
Kathy
I enjoyed this one. It is mostly early works as far as the stories, and comments on series up to about '95 or so. The essays are good, and I'm just going to include a quote because I want to remember it, and I don't own this book.

"So in the end, I have not a conclusion, but a plea to all readers.
"Be open. All genres have something to offer you on some level. Do not let a marketing convenience constrain what you can choose to learn and know. True genius does not distain simplicity, nor does it
Sheila
Jan 27, 2009 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Bujold fans
This was an enjoyable, eccentric litle book, a peek inside the brain of one of my favorite authors. It starts with an essay from one of Bujold's best friends that talks about their start together as teenagers with Classic Trek fandom and fanfic, then moves to a section of short fiction: Bujold's first story, a Sherlock Holmes pastiche (sadly, the last few pages were lost); her first short story sale, which looks to be a classic example of "write what you know;" the title story, set in the ...more
Julia
Aug 20, 2008 Julia rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Readers of all of LMB's fiction
Recommended to Julia by: LMB fan- run website
Shelves: science-fiction
Just read a short story with Cordelia Naismith and Sherlock Holmes. I have read *everything* else by Lois McMaster Bujold, been looking forward to this for *years.* Having finished it, I'd say it's only for readers who have read *all* of LMB's fiction.
Сибин Майналовски
Every book from Vor universe is a masterpiece
Kristen
May 06, 2016 Kristen rated it really liked it
This is a collection of Bujold's early work, for the most part. The Dreamweaver's Dilemma was pretty interesting, though it lacked the punch of her later writing. As someone from Ohio, I liked imagining Cleveland as a desolate radioactive swamp. I thought the Holmes story was fun and told in a style that stayed true to Doyle. The essays ranged from fabulous to dull.

And then there was Mountains of Mourning. Read this. Seriously. It has more impact if you've read Barrayar (and probably Shards of
Carolyn F.
I love the preface. It's written by her friend Lillian Stewart Carl and is all about Lois' early years - writing, friends, TV. Well worth the read.

I didn't read the essays, only the short stories and have reviewed them. The average is 3.5 stars. Better than I thought it would be.

1. The Adventure of the Lady of the Embankment. This author did a great job of writing in Arthur Conan Doyle's voice. The story was good too. ****

2. Barter - Harried housewife gets a quick fix. Cute story. ***

3. Garage
John Carter
It’s getting four stars but a mixed review from me. There seemed to be too much repetitiveness in the non-fiction second half of the book; but I guess that’s really inescapable in a collection of essays and interviews that weren’t written to be read at one time. The article “Towards a genealogy of Lord Miles [etc.]” was completely confusing, all the more so as the words and the diagram seemed so rarely to be in sync. “The adventure of the lady on the embankment” was an excellent pastiche (with a ...more
wychwood
Jan 10, 2012 wychwood rated it liked it
Frustratingly put-together; it could have done with a different ordering and a paragraph to explain the origins and content of each item. I shouldn't have to get half-way through the author interview to discover the point of including the (fairly uninspired) Sherlock Holmes pastiche 150 pages earlier, and the title story would have been significantly more interesting had I known up-front that it was technically set in the Vorkosigan-verse. The whole book would have been so much better with just ...more
Jun 12, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, scifi, nonfiction
This collection of short stories and essays provides a bit of interesting background on the Vorkosigan universe and its creator, but it is pretty missable except for diehard fans. It contains 90% of a very early Holmes pastiche, three fun short stories, the eponymous tale (Bujold's first attempt at professional writing), and “The Mountains of Mourning,” which is great but has been amply published elsewhere. Then there are several essays by Bujold about her writing process, the evolution of the ...more
Mayank Agarwal
Apr 28, 2015 Mayank Agarwal rated it it was ok
Read only the short story titled Dreamweaver's Dilemma which is based in the Vorkosigan Saga Universe and is the first story in chronological order.The concept of virtual dreams seems interesting and with the setting in Earth with radiation west land's a good touch But the focus is more on a Juvenal detective work and problem solving then in exploring the world or technology.

Well the writing is promising so hoping good stuff from Vorkosigan Saga.
Kiri
Apr 04, 2009 Kiri rated it liked it
Just started this, but it was such a pleasure to plunge into Bujold's writing. She is a gem. I love that she includes several essays about writing in this collection. Her piece about people who don't read science fiction and her efforts to find out why is beautiful and illuminating.

I'm declaring this "read" even though I didn't read the title story. She is really a novel writer rather than a short story writer.
Robert Scott
+++Would have rated as 4 stars or more had it been a newer book. As it is many of the essays although very interesting had a lot of dated stuff in them. The stories were marvelous and all the info as to timelines (to that date), name pronunciation and writing were both interesting and informative. Wish I had read it a long time ago. I especially enjoued the title story, the Sherlock H. story and "The Mountains of Mourning" with Miles Naismith.+++
Unwisely
Sep 23, 2009 Unwisely rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, wtf, 2009
So, this book took me like two months to get through. This isn't saying it was bad, it was just ... not gripping. It's a collection of various short stories and personal essays from Lois McMaster Bujold about writing and stuff. They were pleasant, and insightful, and the stories were fun. So, overall, pleasant for fans but not a must-read or a keeps-you-up-late read.
Myles Harrold
Aug 08, 2014 Myles Harrold rated it liked it
Shelves: own, sci-fi
She is a great author, but I did not realize that this was a book of short stories and essays about the author. The on Vorkosigan story is one that I have already read and the other short stories are from when she had just started writing. I do like to hear about her creative process and a few insights into where her story ideas come from, but not in a book.
Olgalijo
Aug 30, 2014 Olgalijo rated it it was amazing
Seriously mandatory read for all you Bujold nerds out there. I didn't only like getting to know where Fat Ninni comes from, or when Cordelia Naismith's name appears for the first time. I also enjoyed reading Bujold's essays, and came to realize that I not only like her books. I like her a lot as a person too (which is not necessarily true with all writers).
Amy
Apr 23, 2015 Amy marked it as to-read
I read the first short story, and felt "meh". I didn't really get a feel for what this writer is all about, and with all the other books I'm reading right now, I decided I wasn't into it enough to pressure myself to read it. I might try it again later, but for now I'm done.
Jenee
May 18, 2014 Jenee rated it really liked it
The first half of the book was fiction, and showed the literary origins of the Vorkosigan saga. Highly recommend. The second half was a non-fiction, memoir/ writing advice, and wasn't quite what I was looking for. Still, very interesting!
Joel Sassone
Some short stories of various quality levels from early in the author's career. Actually, the rather short essays about writing are probably the most interesting part of this collection. Recommended for Bujold or Miles fans. 3/5 stars.
Michael
Sep 13, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
Short stories, all good. If you just wanna dabble your toes in Lois, this is a good start. Me, I dove in headfirst.
Tricia
Sep 13, 2008 Tricia rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Not all writers in anthology up to Bujold's weight class. Not Bujold's most shining effort, either.
Dan Arthur
Mar 15, 2013 Dan Arthur rated it it was amazing
Good short story that's not really a prequel, but it does take place in the same universe as the Vorkosigan saga, about 200-300 years from now, and about 700 years before Miles.
fran_g
Jun 09, 2013 fran_g rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I thought this would be a good short story to read to decide whether or not to take on The Vorkosigan Saga books. I loved it and jumped from it straight into "Cordelia's Honor".
Summer
Aug 30, 2007 Summer rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007, short-stories
I liked the short stories in this book, and I would have liked the book itself more if it hadn't been 50% biographical material on an author I hadn't read anything by until I picked this one up.
Joy
Feb 25, 2012 Joy rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Early and short works of Bujold, primarily of interest to fans. Enjoyable but her longer, later works are much better.
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2011
mathsie
mathsie rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2013
Crystal
Crystal rated it did not like it
Oct 12, 2012
  • Citizens
  • Eyes of Amber and Other Stories
  • Star Songs of An Old Primate
  • Stories from The Hugo Winners 1962-1967
  • Alien Emergencies: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #4-6)
  • Winter Wishes
  • A Fisherman of the Inland Sea
  • The Encyclopedia of Fantasy
  • Shattered Shields
  • The Voices Of Time
  • Lord Darcy  (Lord Darcy, #1-3)
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse
More about Lois McMaster Bujold...

Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)
  • The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2)
  • Ethan of Athos (Vorkosigan Saga, #3)
  • Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
  • Brothers in Arms (Vorkosigan Saga, #5)
  • The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga, #6)
  • Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7)
  • Mirror Dance (Vorkosigan Saga, #8)
  • Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)
  • Memory (Vorkosigan Saga, #10)