Start by marking “Mending the Soul: Understanding and Healing Abuse” as Want to Read:
Mending the Soul: Understanding and Healing Abuse

Mending the Soul: Understanding and Healing Abuse

4.55 of 5 stars 4.55  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This book is a well-researched, biblically, and scientifically based overview of the various types of abuse, the effects, and the means of healing.
Published May 26th 2009 by Zondervan (first published April 12th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mending the Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mending the Soul

Chrystal Stewart
If you've ever wondered, "what's wrong with me?" or "why do I think or do certain things?" THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU!! Reading this book gave me such a relief on the way that I thought as a Christian, and the reasons why I still struggled with those thoughts in my walk with God. I no longer felt condemned!! I was NOT insane, I was abused! And because of that, I was broken. But the best part of the book is learning about myself and learning how to have a genuine relationship with God, even in that ...more
Sheryl
This is thee single best book I have read on the subject of abuse. I personally think that every pastor and every elder of every church ought to be required to read this book.
Christian perspective backed up with research on the forms of abuse, the effects and the healing of.
Great chapter on forgiveness. Great piece on grappling with God in the tough stuff of life.
First read it on my e-reader, then ordered paperback and had it spiral bound as this will be a life-long valued resource as I desire t
Andy Kline
This book is about more than abuse, it is about healing and knowing God. I'll read this one again. The author's thoughts on wresting with God were a blessing.
Kent
Mending the Soul is of tremendous importance in the learning curve of my experience with PTSD. Having some knowledge of the available literature on the subject of trauma and abuse, I appreciate Steven Tracy's ability to make the complicated easy to understand.

I plan to read this work several more times and then once a year following.
Josette
Someone gave me this book years ago and I wanted to read it for personal and professional development reasons, as well as the fact that it was written by my former youth pastor! I think it is an excellent resource on the prevalence, dynamics and treatment of abuse written from a Christian perspective. It should be required reading for all pastors. Dr. Tracy (or Pastor Steve, as I remember him) does well in addressing many of the misconceptions and blind spots about abuse that unfortunately exist ...more
Crystal
A must-read for every Christian -- abuse is rampant, and we need to know God's perspective on it. All too often, the well-intentioned but uninformed Christian responses given to victims are damaging and, ultimately, unBiblical. While there are additional aspects that I wish the book touched on (like the Cycle of Abuse and psychological consequences, as concerns restoration), it's still the most complete and Biblically balanced view that I've read. I especially admired the thoroughness of the res ...more
Janelle
Apr 16, 2014 Janelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Abuse victims and church leaders
I wish I could install this book on the bookshelf of every church and para-church organisation. Mending the Soul is not just strongly grounded in Biblical truth, it's a clarion call to churches to take seriously the prevention of abuse and the support of victims.

If you are a Pastor or church leader considering how you can support victims with more care and understanding... read this book.

If you are a victim of abuse and are struggling to find hope and healing... read this book.

And if you are a c
A
This book was extremely helpful for me in my journey to accept and move past the abuse I experienced growing up. It gives a detailed outline of the differennt types of abuse, what they are, and what symptoms an abuse victim may have because of the abuse. This book helped me remember a lot of things my mind had hid from me. It also helped me realize abusive things that had happened to me that I didn't even know was abuse. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is dealing with abuse, or anyone ...more
Lauren Clark
This is an amazing, heart wrenching, informational, eye opening book! I recommend it to everyone! It was, however, hard to read because of the content, but it was worth it!
Creation
Decided pro Christian in its premises. Does a great job at merging the scientific research on abuse patterns of behavior and how those are reflected in spiritual principals. Has a workbook if you are interested but it is rather pricy and I think much of the same function can be accomplished through keeping a journal or discussing the book with a friend or confidant.
Heather
Highly recommend this book if you have been abused, are close with anyone who has been, are a pastor or leader, or have a heart to help victims. By far the best book Ive read on abuse and its effects, as well as clear biblical steps to complete healing. There is also a companion workbook that goes deeper into the emotional side for deeper healing.
Caroline Abbott
This book tackles healing abuse from a counselor's point of view. The author does a very thorough job. Even though he is a professional, the book is very readable, and very helpful. Great job!
Tia
This is the best book I have ever read on the subject of abuse. Should be required reading for those in the "caring" professions.
Theresa
I picked up this book for research for the novel I'm writing. What I got out of this book, was so much more!
Kim
Covers all forms of abuse and how it affects our lives.
Liz
Liz is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2015
Cathy Paliani
Cathy Paliani marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Grant
Grant marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Michael Gerber
Michael Gerber is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2015
Jolene
Jolene marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Telling Yourself the Truth
  • Healing for Damaged Emotions
  • Nice Girls Don't Change the World
  • Healing the Scars of Emotional Abuse
  • Relationships: How to Make Bad Relationships Better and Good Relationships Great
  • The Mom Factor
  • The Fantasy Fallacy: Exposing the Deeper Meaning Behind Sexual Thoughts
  • The New Personality Self-Portrait: Why You Think, Work, Love and Act the Way You Do
  • Clinical Handbook of Psychological Disorders: A Step-by-Step Treatment Manual
  • How to Really Love Your Teenager
  • Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear, and Worry
  • Dying of Embarrassment: Help for Social Anxiety and Phobia
  • Parenting a Child Who Has Intense Emotions: Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Help Your Child Regulate Emotional Outbursts and Aggressive Behaviors
  • Getting Past What You'll Never Get Over: Help for Dealing with Life's Hurts
  • Hiding from Love: How to Change the Withdrawal Patterns That Isolate and Imprison You
  • Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness: A Self-help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioural Techniques
  • What You Must Think of Me: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with Social Anxiety Disorder
  • The Bipolar Child: The Definitive and Reassuring Guide to Childhood's Most Misunderstood Disorder
Mending the Soul Student Edition: Understanding and Healing Abuse Como Comprender y Sana El Abuso y Maltrato En Tu Vida y En La de Los Demas: Y Maltrato En Tu Vida y En La de Los Demas Comprende y sana el abuso en tu Vida: Understanding and Healing Abuse Mending the Soul Workbook: Understanding and Healing Abuse Forever and Always: The Art of Intimacy (House of Prisca & Aquila)