Start by marking “The Artful Garden: Creative Inspiration for Landscape Design” as Want to Read:
The Artful Garden: Creative Inspiration for Landscape Design

The Artful Garden: Creative Inspiration for Landscape Design

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  52 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
“I want to put the mystery back into the heart of garden design, where it needs to be. It’s what lures you in through the gate, keeps you moving through the landscape, and fills you with excitement along the way. The sense of mystery is what turns a mere display of plants, paths, and ornaments into an adventure.”
—James van Sweden

Guided by world-renowned landscape arc
Published February 1st 2011 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Artful Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Artful Garden

Candy
Jan 14, 2015 Candy rated it really liked it
Shelves: house-and-yard
Having trouble making progress on this because there is always a cat in my lap when I get up and have coffee!
Today I did get to read some and laughed out loud at how the author made his point about too many plants in a garden.
You know how you get up every day and your garden is different from the day before? This author compares a garden to the performance of a dance- it's there and then it's gone, and you have to be present to witness it.
I have wondered if I imagine how many changes occur i
Lisa
Jan 22, 2016 Lisa added it
A delightful book exploring the interchange between the other arts and design. The interviews with other artists and designers were interesting and, at times, noteworthy. This book would be worth it alone for the images - a thorough visual treat!
Teresa
Feb 01, 2016 Teresa rated it it was amazing
loved the mix of architecture mixed w/art works in this book. a wonderful way to explore your own creativity compared to others. loved it.
Marshall
Nov 15, 2015 Marshall rated it really liked it
Good ideas for a variety of spaces involving ways to plan and avoid making mistakes (which we all do).
Jodi
Apr 05, 2011 Jodi rated it liked it
In this book the author disucusses art such as painting, tapestries, music, and scultpure and how we can learn from them and be inspired by them in our garden design. Personally I enjoyed the sculpture section where he talks about negative and positive space. There were parts that I didn't really understand what he was talking about, I think it would be easier to understand if I was able to visit the garden examples he was talking about.
Jackson
Jun 27, 2013 Jackson rated it liked it
Although the pictures are lovely and text reads well, it is a book made more for people with very large areas of land to landscape, so my paltry triangle felt inadequate ... maybe someday if we expand to take over the whole neighborhood or something .... but it IS lovely.
Ruth
Apr 18, 2013 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Absolutely scrumptious read. If you can't get to a beautiful garden read about them! You will be stepping into the pages of perennials, quiet walks....
Darla
Apr 27, 2012 Darla rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Describes using the processes of the fine arts (painting, sculpting, writing, dancing ....) as inspiration in landscape design.
Jill
Excellent.
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Tina Schumacher
Tina Schumacher rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Katherine Poe
Katherine Poe rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Kate Lincourt
Kate Lincourt rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Alisa
Alisa is currently reading it
Dec 08, 2015
Roccie
Roccie rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2015
celerite11
celerite11 rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Brin
Brin marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
julie bowen
julie bowen marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Laurin
Laurin rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Paige Patterson
Paige Patterson rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Paige Patterson
Paige Patterson rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Alisha Ward
Alisha Ward rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Karen Major
Karen Major rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Gail  Marton
Gail Marton rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2014