Start by marking “The Artful Garden: Creative Inspiration for Landscape Design” as Want to Read:
The Artful Garden: Creative Inspiration for Landscape Design

The Artful Garden: Creative Inspiration for Landscape Design

“I want to put the mystery back into the heart of garden design, where it needs to be. It’s what lures you in through the gate, keeps you moving through the landscape, and fills you with excitement along the way. The sense of mystery is what turns a mere display of plants, paths, and ornaments into an adventure.”
—James van Sweden

Guided by world-renowned landscape arc
Published February 1st 2011 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Artful Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Artful Garden

Jan 14, 2015 Candy rated it really liked it
Shelves: house-and-yard
Having trouble making progress on this because there is always a cat in my lap when I get up and have coffee!
Today I did get to read some and laughed out loud at how the author made his point about too many plants in a garden.
You know how you get up every day and your garden is different from the day before? This author compares a garden to the performance of a dance- it's there and then it's gone, and you have to be present to witness it.
I have wondered if I imagine how many changes occur i
May 27, 2016 Mia rated it liked it
Shelves: garden
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here. One look at Van Sweden's designs and it's likely you will know nothing but despair. If you're like me, you'll want to mow/burn/bulldoze your garden and start over completely after having read this book.

The Artful Garden is not the book for gardeners who want ideas for fluffing up their suburban backyard, and the author makes that clear from the start. It is a landscape design book and if you happen to be in possession of a few acres (and perhaps a striking m
Apr 05, 2011 Jodi rated it liked it
In this book the author disucusses art such as painting, tapestries, music, and scultpure and how we can learn from them and be inspired by them in our garden design. Personally I enjoyed the sculpture section where he talks about negative and positive space. There were parts that I didn't really understand what he was talking about, I think it would be easier to understand if I was able to visit the garden examples he was talking about.
Jan 22, 2016 Lisa added it
A delightful book exploring the interchange between the other arts and design. The interviews with other artists and designers were interesting and, at times, noteworthy. This book would be worth it alone for the images - a thorough visual treat!
Jun 27, 2013 Jackson rated it liked it
Although the pictures are lovely and text reads well, it is a book made more for people with very large areas of land to landscape, so my paltry triangle felt inadequate ... maybe someday if we expand to take over the whole neighborhood or something .... but it IS lovely.
Apr 18, 2013 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Absolutely scrumptious read. If you can't get to a beautiful garden read about them! You will be stepping into the pages of perennials, quiet walks....
Nov 15, 2015 Marshall rated it really liked it
Good ideas for a variety of spaces involving ways to plan and avoid making mistakes (which we all do).
Feb 01, 2016 Teresa rated it it was amazing
loved the mix of architecture mixed w/art works in this book. a wonderful way to explore your own creativity compared to others. loved it.
Apr 27, 2012 Darla rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Describes using the processes of the fine arts (painting, sculpting, writing, dancing ....) as inspiration in landscape design.
Jen rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Gloria rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2011
Naomi rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
The Artful Blog
The Artful Blog rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Heidihark rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Laurin rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2015
Vallari Talapatra
Vallari Talapatra rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Keith rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2014
d0 rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2016
Amy rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Dawn rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Tina rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Paige Patterson
Paige Patterson rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Emily Vander Ark
Emily Vander Ark rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2015
Gareth Eynon
Gareth Eynon rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2013
Ann rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Hannah rated it it was ok
May 28, 2016
Matt Sickle
Matt Sickle rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Julie rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2015
Roccie rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2014