Start by marking “Spiritual Classics: Reading With The Heart” as Want to Read:
Spiritual Classics: Reading With The Heart

Spiritual Classics: Reading With The Heart

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  448 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Many Christians today are seeking a deeper understanding of God. They want their faith to be meaningful in everyday life; to walk closely with the Lord and to live out the Gospel message. An important resource for Christ-like growth is the great wealth of writings from Christian writers past and present. The readings in Spiritual Classics have been carefully selected, acco ...more
Published 2000 by Fount (first published October 4th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Spiritual Classics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spiritual Classics

Neil Coulter
Jun 08, 2015 Neil Coulter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worship, non-fiction
Richard Foster has given a great gift to Christians with his two volumes of readings from Christian history: Devotional Classics, and this one, Spiritual Classics. Spiritual Classics is organized according to the spiritual disciplines, as Foster outlines them in Celebration of Discipline. Some of the readings fit exactly the discipline theme, while others seemed to have a more tangential connection to the disciplines under which they were grouped. Each reading is short (I think generally shorter ...more
Sandy
Jul 18, 2012 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thirty years ago I read Richard Foster's "Celebration of Discipline" and he helped me in forming a disciplined life of meditation, self-care, and spiritually-directed thinking. It was an excellent influence on my life. This book, which he and Griffin edit, does not provide the same rich spiritual resource as his older books. Only 3 of the 52 people he reviews find their way into my psyche as guides/friends. And unfortunately some of my old friends, such as G.K. Chesterton and de Chardin are not ...more
Adam
Dec 08, 2011 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't get me wrong, this is a wonderful book, but I didn't really use it according to instructions, and honestly I don't know whether I would have liked it more or less if I had.

The selected readings from spiritual authors from the late Church Fathers to the 20th Century were ecumenical in scope and generally of great quality and insight. I'd say there were about a third of the readings I just didn't connect with, but that's ok. I have to admit, though, that the readings really aren't intended
Lisa Murray
Feb 09, 2014 Lisa Murray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, non-fiction
I read this over the last year (1 section for each month) with a group of women. While I didn't always appreciate the excerpts chosen (but often I did), I found the dialogue around it stimulating. And I appreciated Foster's commentary at the end of each entry as well as the author's bio at the beginning. They really helped provide context. Best of all this didn't mandate specific practices so much as ask questions about how to live and grow each of the disciplines identified.
Robert C.
Sep 30, 2015 Robert C. rated it liked it
Over 400 pages of snippets from some of the Christian classics written since Christ popped his sandals.

Nice format - introduction to the chosen writer (the best part), snippet of text from one of the writer's books, bible quote relating to the snippet, exercises to strengthen understanding of the snippets (the worst part) and illuminating text about the snippet/writer by the editor.

First of all, I got to say that I ain't no Christian so this much Christianity in one place was hard on me. There a
Sherry
Jan 11, 2016 Sherry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent review of many of the spiritual classical writings broken down into nuggets of thought easily used in small group discussions and personal study. It provides a useful index of the classics which leads to more classical study. Foster, as usual, concisely summarizes the main points of each reading. Thoroughly enjoyed reading these daily.
May 24, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't actually finished this book, but I borrowed it from a friend and had to give it back because we are moving away. I really enjoyed and was encouraged by this book thus far. I like how each selection is organized: a little bio, a selection of the person's writing, a passage of scripture, some group/individual exercises (which I usually skipped over, honestly) and then a word from the editor about the selection. I particularly appreciated that each selection was paired with a passage scri ...more
Chuck Cova
Dec 26, 2014 Chuck Cova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another book that sat on my shelf for years before I was drawn to it in early 2014. Used it as a devotional over several months. The selected readings from each of a dozen or so Spiritual disciples, and authors from many genres and ages, are great, but Richard Foster's thoughts on each make this an extra special book.
Nicholas Seders
It is difficult to write a review for this book, as it compiles many different writings. Some of the sections were excellent (Chesterton, Hopkins, Augustine, etc.), while others were awful; I am giving the collection two stars based on the overall quality of excerpt selection. This low rating no way reflects the work of the outstanding authors that are included!
David Ryan
Read this book sometime ago, but appreciated the readings and insights that they bring to things such as fasting, worship, prayer, etc.
Brianfarris
Feb 24, 2012 Brianfarris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I found articles that really spoke to my heart directly from the Spirit. Other selections were a challenge to read, but worthwhile. There are few places where you can get such a tasty,wide cross section of the body of Christ this last two millennia.
Russell Hayes
Precipitous decline from the devotional classics by the same editor. Many of the selections were abysmal, but there were a few gems. Biographical and reflective sections were too long, and many of the selections were too short.
Elaine
May 27, 2012 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great devotional!! Not all the devotionals were wonderful, but the good ones made up for them. Excellent add on to The Ceelbration of Discipline.
Karin
Dec 31, 2015 Karin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent introduction to some of the greatest spiritual writers and thought-provoking exercises.
May 12, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Used this for a small group in law school. Some great selections, but it was hit or miss.
Matt
Jun 22, 2009 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for those wishing to pursue spiritual disciplines in their daily lives.
Apryl Anderson
Jul 27, 2011 Apryl Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
mmm, delicious meat to chew, now digested and excreted into my journals!
Ariel
May 29, 2009 Ariel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
Wonderful book for daily devotionals and for group spiritual growth sharing.
Maryann
May 01, 2011 Summisse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Always reading.
Kourtney Price
Kourtney Price marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
James
James added it
Jun 17, 2016
Rene
Rene marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Larry Kloess
Larry Kloess marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Nancy Bates
Nancy Bates marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Stephen Frantz
Stephen Frantz rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
  • Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life
  • The Jesus Way: A Conversation on the Ways That Jesus Is the Way (Spiritual Theology #3)
  • 25 Books Every Christian Should Read: A Guide to the Essential Spiritual Classics
  • The Spirit of the Disciplines : Understanding How God Changes Lives
  • The Faces of Jesus: A Life Story
  • The Way of the Heart: The Spirituality of the Desert Fathers and Mothers
  • A Glimpse of Jesus: The Stranger to Self-Hatred
  • The Art of Pastoring
  • Let Go
  • The Liturgical Year: The Spiraling Adventure of the Spiritual Life - The Ancient Practices Series
  • The Divine Hours: Prayers for Summertime--A Manual for Prayer, Volume 1 of 3
  • The Sacred Way: Spiritual Practices for Everyday Life
  • Theology: The Basics
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook: Practices That Transform Us
  • Practical Mysticism; and, Abba: Meditations on the Lord's Prayer
  • Responsible Grace
  • Spiritual Mentoring: A Guide for Seeking & Giving Direction
Richard J. Foster is the author of several bestselling books, including Celebration of Discipline, Streams of Living Water, and Prayer, which was Christianity Today's Book of the Year and the winner of the Gold Medallion Award from the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association. He is the founder of Renovaré, an intrachurch movement committed to the renewal of the Church in all her multifaceted ...more
More about Richard J. Foster...