Start by marking “Little Mouse's Big Secret” as Want to Read:
Little Mouse's Big Secret

Little Mouse's Big Secret

Shh…! Little Mouse has a secret! He's found a delicious-looking apple and doesn't want to share a bite. So he buries it, and no matter how many of his friends ask what he hid, Little Mouse won't tell. But when a tree sprouts from the seeds of the fruit, there are enough apples for everyone-and Little Mouse realizes some secrets are even better when they're shared.

Award-wi
Published March 1st 2011 by Sterling (first published October 6th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Little Mouse's Big Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Mouse's Big Secret

Heidi-Marie
Mar 11, 2011 Heidi-Marie rated it did not like it
Illustrations are small. Kinda cute. Very simple. But too small to work in a storytime. The words are repetitive, defintiely driving home the point that mouse is not going to share his secret. A good ending, but a little trite. And are children necessarily going to discern WHICH secret are best NOT kept? 'Cause I sure don't want them thinking that it will be better or more fun to share any and every secret they know. I'm not highly impressed with the book, though I'm sure it has its place ...more
Tasha
May 24, 2011 Tasha added it
Shelves: picture-books
When Little Mouse discovers a juicy red apple on the ground, he decides that it will be his secret. So he hides it in a hole in the ground. Once it is safely hidden, his friends appear one-by-one and ask him what he’s hiding. Little Mouse insists to each animal that he will not tell because it’s his secret. As Mouse talks with animal after animal, his back is to the apple and the hole he hid it in. Soon a sprout appears from the hole, then a stalk and finally a tree. Apples appear on the tree ...more
Kristen
For preschoolers and young kindergartners, nice to use in an apple theme or to pair with Wood's "Little Mouse, Red, Ripe Strawberry, and the Big, Hungry Bear". Mouse finds an apple and decides to hide it, in the ground. Animals come along and ask "What are you hiding?" but Mouse won't tell. The apple grows into a tree, and apples eventually fall. Mouse decides some secrets are better when you share them. Super-simple, nice for retelling with puppets or a feltboard, or as Readers' Theater.
Darrielle
Mar 01, 2011 Darrielle rated it liked it
Shelves: friends
Shhhh, don't tell anyone, Little Mouse has a big secret! This book is a great read for kindergarten and pre-k. They will be thrilled to be part of the secret that Mouse keeps but his secret grows bigger and bigger as his friends ask what is he hiding. Use this book as tool to show students that it is better to share rather than keep secrets. The text is simple and repetitive. Give children the opportunity to predict what will mouse do and what do ho\w do they think his friends will react.
David
Apr 14, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Little Mouse's Big Secret by Eric Battut is a cute tale of a mouse who wants a juicy apple all for himself - his personal secret. When he buries his treasure it begins to grow. while he tells other inquisitive animals it's his secret. After sprouting, growing, leafing out and blossoming, his secret produces apples taht fall to the ground. Mouse then discovers that "sometimes ... secretsare even better when you share them," letting his fellow animals each have apples.

This cute story teaches the m
Marissa García
Apr 28, 2012 Marissa García rated it it was amazing
Little Mouse has a secret he just can’t bear to share with any of his friends – a juicy red apple he wants for himself. To keep the secret safe, he buries it. Friends come by and ask what he is hiding, only to be repeatedly told that Mouse has a secret and he won’t ever tell. Nature throws Mouse for a loop right behind his back as his secret grows and grows into a tree.

This translated charmer, originally a French publication, thoroughly enchants with its simple premise and witty execution. Child
Nicolette
Apr 03, 2012 Nicolette rated it really liked it
This book was a very cute one for very young readers. It had repetition in it, so kids can learn pattern from it. It also had very simple sentences making the plot very easy to understand. The mouse hides an apple in the ground and calls it "my secret". When each of the animals come to ask what the mouse is hiding the mouse says "Its my secret and i'll never tell", then the apple eventually turns to an apple tree and the secret is out! The mouse learns that a secret is better when you have ...more
Rebecca
Apr 18, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ultra-simple story, with just one sentence per page. Tiny illustrations make it less-than-ideal for group sharing, but the story is cute. Little Mouse finds an apple, buries it so it will remain his secret, and turns away all his friends -- only to realize that an apple tree has been growing and giving the secret away. So he gives the apples away, since secrets are even better when you share them.
Melissa
Aside from me being a little too worried about whether "sharing secrets" is too fraught a concept for preschool storytime (what secrets? when? to whom?), I do like the idea of the apple seeds sprouting behind the mouse and all the storytime kids being able to be in on the joke. I love the spare illustrations, and how the mouse stays the same size at the bottom of the page while the apple tree slowly fills the page up.
Megan
May 03, 2012 Megan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: toddlers-preschool
Little Mouse finds an apple and decides to keep it a secret from all his friends so he buries it in the ground. As each friend asks about his secret, Little Mouse swears he'll never tell. Yet behind him, we see an apple tree gradually sprouting, growing, and blossoming. Finally, the apples fall off the fully-grown tree and Little Mouse realizes he can share with all his friends.

Very repetitive text and subtle illustrations make this best for reading one-on-one with a beginning reader.
Micah Walls
Apr 22, 2012 Micah Walls rated it it was amazing
Secrets are usually not good things. And when you keep them hidden, they get bigger and bigger. This would be a great book to read aloud to younger and students and talk to them about having secrets are usually not good and should not be kept hidden. You could explain, of course, that their are good secrets. What a great way to bring up great discussion. Highly recommend it to lower grade level teachers!
Jessica Green
Jun 13, 2012 Jessica Green rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sharing
I thought that this book was so cute! It is definitely a book I'm going to buy for my kids. They love saying they have a secret to tell me. I like how the little mouse just kept saying he was going to keep his secret forever and not tell anyone. Then at the end of the story said that it was ok to share your secrets sometimes. :-) Very cute book!
Cassie
ages 2 and up. I love the simplicity of the art and text. The ratio of illustration and text to white space on the page is really nice. The repetitive dialogue will help children feel like they can participate and predict what is coming next. And the humor in the ending was a nice surprise. All around great book for toddlers and preschoolers.
Kim
Mar 30, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is a great visual book for following what Little Mouse's secret is. Little Mouse buries an apple as his secret. He is not prepared for it to grow into a large tree but everyone reaps the rewards of it.

Help support Independent book stores - please use this link to find a store near you or to purchase LITTLE MOUSE'S BIG SECRET:
Lindsey
Mouse finds an apple. What a treat! He decides he wants to keep it all for himself so he buries it. It becomes his secret.

Loads of repetition, animal names, and clear illustrations demonstrating the text make this a fun, quick read aloud for ELLs. It also is a discussion opener about secrets. When should you share them? When should you keep them for yourself?
Karen
Jun 12, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week.

I pretty much loved this book. The text is so simple and repetitive that my son could read most of it on his own -- win!

The illustrations were so adorable, and slightly subtle, that my son felt clever working out the story before the conclusion - -win!

So pretty much, a win-win book.
Tricia
Apr 08, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
Simple but effective story about a mouse who finds an apple, greedily hides it and then tries to keep its presence a secret from all his friends. Better for preschool/early elementary despite limited text based upon the impact of the message being lost on the little ones and without the "point", the book is slightly bland.
Dolly
Mar 12, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Sparsely illustrated and full of repetitive language, this is a good story for beginning readers. The story is pretty funny as the little mouse is unaware that his secret is becoming obvious to all right behind his back. The ending is sweet, too.
Knitcookwrite
Feb 05, 2015 Knitcookwrite rated it really liked it
A simple to follow story of a mouse with a secret that grows so large he just has to share it. Easy pictures with an expected outcome, but still surprising to little ones. My story time kids adored this book.
Joy
Feb 28, 2012 Joy rated it liked it
Super cute story about a mouse who tries to keep his apple a secret by burying it in the ground. You can probably figure out why this doesn't go quite as planned!

The pictures are adorable but a bit too small to use this for a group read-aloud; this is probably best enjoyed one-on-one.
Robin
When little mouse finds a beautiful apple, he decides to hid it from his friends. Until the apples fall from the tree, and little mouse discovers sharing secrets is even better than hiding things.

Author, illustrator Battut is from Chamalieres, France, where he lives and works.
Samantha
The illustrations in this book are small making it ideal for individual or small group readings. The book shows the importance of sharing with friends. The words are repetitive and the storyline is simple making it a good book for beginning readers.
Stephanie Martin
Aug 28, 2012 Stephanie Martin rated it liked it
Picture Book 21: This book was very cute. Not much to say about it because there wasn't much too it, but there wasn't really a lessen or a plot just a mouse with a secret seed that he planted and then it grew into a tree. I guess it would be cute for really young children just learning to read.
Molly
Jan 10, 2012 Molly rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
If it's an apple, why is it small enough for a mouse to hold? I looked like an idiot, telling kids it was a cherry. I feel like such a fool. I'll never be taken seriously in storytime again.

It was alright.
Kate Hastings
Mar 21, 2011 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
Grades Pre-K-1. Fun spring story to read for planting/growing. Mouse hides a seed in the ground, and the seed does what seeds do. Other animals want to know what he's planted-- and eventually find out!
Jess Brown
Oh how adorable this little book is! Little Mouse finds an apple and refuses to tell any of his friends what it is he's hiding (every page is the same repetition of questions, with Mouse's same answer). I laughed out loud at the end, which I won't spoil, but my is it super cute!
Lara Ivey
Jul 11, 2012 Lara Ivey rated it really liked it
Mouse's big secret doesn't go quite as planned. It actually turns out better than planned. The word SECRET is in red throughout the book and adds an element of suspense.

This would be used nicely with a unit on plants or even with a lesson on secrets.
Heloyce
Jan 23, 2013 Heloyce rated it really liked it
The best secrets are relished, and held close, but when they are shared they are twice as declicious. Loved this book because it was a gift from one of my favorite people, but I won't tell who. It's a secret.
Suzanne
Sep 15, 2012 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute book about sharing. There's a lot of whitespace on the pages, but the illustrations are nicely done. Between their simplicity and the repetitive nature of the text, even our very young kiddo can "read" this one to us.
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it
The story didn't really grab me: hide something good from everyone and refuse to share and then, boom, your secret is out (that you're a greedy and selfish), but now there's plenty for everyone. I don't get it, frankly. But I did love the simple graphic artwork.

Library copy.
  • King Jack and the Dragon
  • Say Hello to Zorro!
  • Banana
  • Red Wagon
  • Just How Long Can A Long String Be?!
  • Hide-and-Squeak