Start by marking “Towards Zero (Superintendent Battle, #5)” as Want to Read:
Towards Zero (Superintendent Battle, #5)

Towards Zero (Superintendent Battle #5)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  7,091 ratings  ·  420 reviews
What is the connection among a failed suicide attempt, a wrongful accusation of theft against a schoolgirl, and the romantic life of a famous tennis player?

To the casual observer, apparently nothing. But when a house party gathers at Gull’s Point, the seaside home of an elderly widow, earlier events come to a dramatic head. As Superintendent Battle discovers, it is all par
Published February 1st 2011 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Towards Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Towards Zero

In Agatha Christie's 1944 mystery, TOWARDS ZERO, the title is explained by the elderly solicitor, Mr. Treves. When asked to tell a story from his long career, he begins a horrific tale of two related children playing with a potentially deadly weapon. One is killed, and the other expresses effusive regrets about the terrible accident. Mr. Treves believes the child has gotten away with murder, and he is certain he would recognize the child even twenty years later because of a physical sign that co ...more
I'm breaking all the rules here. I had been reading my way through the Agatha Christie canon book-by-book in chronological order. Generally I was managing to get through a couple, or more, books per year. Suddenly – and very generously – my parents bought me a copy of Towards Zero for Christmas. As the fifth of the Superintendent Battle books – and the thirty-fourth published Christie novel – it was going to take me a while to get to. In fact, based on my current reading pace somewhere between 1 ...more
Sophie Hannah
Brilliant. Elegant and spare like The Body in the Library. No Poirot or Marple, and I did slightly miss them - Superintendent Battle doesn't work as well for me - but is still one of Agatha's best, most well-plotted stories.
محمد عبداللطيف
قصة متوسطة المستوي

أكثر ما يضايقني فيما يماثل هذه القصة البوليسية هي إصرار المؤلف دائما علي إعطاء القارئ معلومات منقوصة لا تجعله قادر علي التوصل إلي شخصية القاتل و يقوم بإخفاء معلومات معيتة و مقصودة لجعله تائها طوال الوقت ، وهذا نوع من الإستسهال الشديد و لا يوجد فيه أي إبداع أو إبتكار ، في حين أن الكاتب المتمكن فعلا يقوم بإعطاء القارئ كل المعلومات الممكنة و مع ذلك يجعله غير قادر علي التوصل إلي حل اللغز
Eustacia Tan
I love Agatha Christie, really love her. And you know, Towards Zero is really different from her other books, in a good way. It sort of stars Superintendent Battle as our lead detective, and has a very unique sort of murders.

You see, Towards Zero postulates (that's a word that should be used more often) that a murder begins before someone dies. After all, it starts when someone decides to kill. And so, a murder occurs, and it's not as simple as it seems. There is Mr Strange, his first wife Audre
Idea Smith
Towards Zero could be called a classic whodunit - a murder mystery, multiple suspects each with the motive and the means. Agatha Christie's charming manner of introducing her characters and defining them with their individual quirks engages the reader. The setup of the plot seemed a little obvious. Midway through, I was already constructing situations in my head over which character would be murdered in order to deliver the maximum tension, so crucial to a book of this genre.The case analysis, c ...more
Una de mis favoritas de Agatha Christie. Parte de una idea interesante y es diferente a los demás, ya que el asesinato no ocurre al principio de la trama.
Rachel Lightwood
This is the third Agatha Christie novel I've picked up... and the third I've enjoyed! While Towards Zero was certainly lacking the edge-of-your-seat levels of suspense that made her And Then There Were None so fantastic, it still had its merits and was worth the read. It was more in tune with Murder on the Orient Express in the sense that the book built up until a jaw-dropping finale, but lacked the certain addictive spark for the better part of the story.

The concept of this book was brilliant,
Luffy Monkey D.
It's been some time since a murder mystery has imposed on my mind so heavily. Even when this mystery had all its clothes on, you could guess the promise it contained. I kept thinking, and the question and the curiosity, the suspense and the wonder, they kept occupying my mind. As the pages flew by, the time to say goodbye to Inspector Battle came too soon. At least Miss Marple starred in 13 of her books. Poor Battle was shunted aside in the public's stampede for Poirot.

I guessed wrongly regard
Mónica Silva
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blospo...

Ligeiramente distinto das restantes obras de Agatha Christie, esta assenta na ideia que um homicídio não começa quando alguém morre, mas sim quando alguém decide matar. Por este motivo, as mortes nesta estória não são imediatas, existindo um longo período de introdução de personagens e caracterização das relações entre si.

De igual modo, esta obra é protagonizada pelo inspetor-chefe Battle, apesar de existirem algumas referências ao genial H
Ono kad se poklopi slobodna nedelja, prazan splav, ladno pivo s limunom i odlična knjiga.
Sasvim pristojan letnji dan u Beogradu.

Da stvar bude neobičnija, jedna napomena vezana isključivo za ovo jeftino izdanje uz Blic Ženu,
Prevod opet Liber Novus ( s kojima već vodih rat ovde zbog očajnih prevoda). Ovaj put prevodilac potpisan i prevod mnogo kvalitetniji nego u prethodnim izdanjima.

Sve ide na bolje.
There’s something about staying at a beachside resort that makes me want to pick up an Agatha Christie. So during my stay here at Port Blair, I have read and re-read quite a few of her novels. Imagine my surprise when I found some of works that I had not yet read. This is a review of one of them.

Towards Zero is from the Superintendent Battle series - a lesser known but equally good. It starts with a well known lawyer, Mr Treves, explaining the term Towards Zero - according to him most murder sto
Sara Pistono
Agatha Christie once again reminds me why she is my personal favorite author. One must commend her for writing such thrilling and gripping novels, each with a twist more shocking than the last. While I did have reservations when I first encountered this book, as I believed it to be heavily sports-orientated, I soon discovered that this couldn't be further from the truth.
Not only was the plot amazing, but the development of each of the characters was also a large portion of what made the story s
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Two and a half stars. I didn't enjoy this Superintendent Battle as much as I did the first. The prose is good, but prose can't carry a novel, and there are too many instances of Christie's infamous hiding-cards-up-sleeve-till-last-second to be enjoyable. There was no humour to lighten things up, either, which is what I enjoyed about the first. Poirot gets a mention, which always makes me laugh--kind of like those 1990's comedies that borrowed characters from each other (Ursula from Mad About You ...more
This is, I think, a better written Christie than many of her other books, but the ending is complete nonsense (AND yet I still mostly figured it out!). Pleasant diversion, yes. Compelling mystery, not so much.
Jibran Sayed
It's 3.5 for me but nonetheless 4 to round it all.
This book was recommended to me when my reading felt too monotonous, and I was in some need to absorb some crime/mystery, by quoting, “It’s full of classic police work, plot twists and unimaginable ending.”
When I read it, it was actually a great lot of plot twist. Some felt perfectly necessary while other few were unnecessary. The whole story starts in with shreds and pieces, small incidents and communications between some two random persons, unk

Un gruppo raccolto attorno al caminetto è composto da avvocati e uomini di legge.
“Gli esseri umani … Ce ne sono di tutti i generi, di tutte le qualità, di tutte le forme, alcuni hanno cervello, molti ne sono privi …”
Tutti sono attenti a seguire l’evolversi degli eventi che hanno portato ad un delitto le cui dinamiche sono avvolte nel mistero. Peccato solo che manchi Hercule Poirot a indagare!
Resta comunque un romanzo di Agatha Christie e, di conseguenza, è un’interes
عُرفت السيدة اجاثا ببراعتها في إخفائِها لحقيقة القاتل كانت هذهِ أول رواية أقرأها لهذه السيدة العجوز التي تميزت بدهائها في تسطير رواياتِها البوليسية ، رغم انني كنت أعلم منذ زمن انها أفضل روائية في العالم إلى أني لم ابداء بفتح الباب الذي يجعلني اغوص في اعماق مخيلتها العجيبه
أما الآن ففتحت الباب بمفتاح "ساعة الصفر" قد تكون بعض أحداثها عاديه نوعاً ما ولكني استمتعت جداً بها ، احسست وكأني اشاهد فلماً سنمائياً ، عند قرائتي لم أشعر بثقل الوقت كدت أن أنهيها في جلسة واحده لولا انشغالي بأُمور أهم..
أُحب ال
Laurel Young
I've been getting more and more bogged down in books that I've started but haven't finished, so this was a bit of a palate cleanser for me. I love Agatha Christie. She deals in stock characters and situations, and bait-and-switch resolutions, but that's partly what I like. I'm kept guessing, trying out situations in my head, always attempting to sift fact from decoy. Christie's focus, like mine, is not on the character, or the implications, or even on murder. It's on the puzzle.

I read 'Towards Z
Agatha Christie is such an amazing author. I have recently begun reading Agatha Christie novel after novel, and each turned out to have an unexpected result. This book was no disappointment.
A man, his first wife, who he had divorced, and his current wife, along with an array of other characters, meet in the mansion of the old lady who took care of the man when he was a child. Soon after all of the characters get acquainted, the lady is murdered. Superintendent Battle, a policeman, and his son i
Agatha Christie isn't just murder mysteries - she deals a lot with philosophy and psychology, too. Miss Marple believes that one can know a lot about people just by observing others, even if those observations occur in a small village - because people are so very alike everywhere. Christie's characters have that element of similarity, as do her stories, even when they appear to be very different.

I like Inspector Battle and often wish he were featured more - he tends to be a secondary character,
Andrea Hickman Walker
I really enjoyed this. Sometimes Agatha Christie's can get a bit repetitive and are less enjoyable, but this was one of her best - right up there with The murder of Roger Ackroyd. I enjoy the character of Superintendent Battle, and the rest of the characterisation in this was just as good. I particularly liked the fact that any of the characters could have been the murderer. It makes it that much more satisfying a mystery. There were also a fair number of unrelated matters, snippets out of the c ...more
Jawaher Alsaadi
ساعة الصفر

جريمة شبه كامله .. مع ذلك استطاع العميل بوارو من معرفة القاتل

..تدهشك الروايه .. بما فيها من احداث متتالة

..لم اشعر بلملل اثناء قرئتها

!..لكن ازعجني قليلا .. وربما استفزني ..! اصرار الكاتبه على اخفاء جميع الادلة تقريبا

..التي يمكن ان توصلك الى هويه القاتل

و لكنني وجدت ، ساعة َ الصفر صدفةً
إنها رواية جيدة ، و الإسلوب القصصي جيد ، مشوقة إلى حدٍ ما ،
اعطيتها نجمتين
عموماً الله يسامح اللي كان السبب و علقني هيك علقة :P
Classic Christie in every sense. A seemingly impossible murder. A large house in the English Countryside. Beautiful rich people. A clever stolid detective. All pulled together by a great audiobook narrator.
It took me quite sometimes to finish this book.
The earlier chapters were a bit slow and confusing. I struggle to open my eyes and keep on reading.
I still do not understand the relation between the prologue and the whole story. What significant did the great Mr Treves had? Especially to link with the murder, other than the fact that he somehow recognized the child who committed murdered long ago with the now adult person.

I also failed to feel any elements of romanticism in this book.
All character
Carolyn F.

I thought I had read this before and swore it was one person through the majority of the book. Liked that I was fooled. The ending was a little "What the Heck!" but enjoyable.
Sep 08, 2013 Elsa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elsa by: no one
Agatha Christie L...: March 2014 - Towards Zero 55 154 Nov 08, 2015 10:33PM
Goodreads Librari...: Edit page not working... 5 30 Apr 16, 2012 07:25AM
  • Spider's Web
  • Overture to Death (Roderick Alleyn, #8)
  • The Benevent Treasure (Miss Silver, #26)
  • Pearls Before Swine (Albert Campion Mystery #12)
  • Busman's Honeymoon (Lord Peter Wimsey, #13)

More about Agatha Christie...

Superintendent Battle (5 books)
  • The Secret of Chimneys (Superintendent Battle, #1)
  • The Seven Dials Mystery (Superintendent Battle, #2)
  • Cards on the Table (Hercule Poirot, #15)
  • Murder Is Easy  (Superintendent Battle, #4)

“When you read the account of a murder - or, say, a fiction story based on murder - you usually begin with the murder itself. That's all wrong. The murder begins a long time beforehand. A murder is the culmination of a lot of different circumstances, all converging at a given moment at a given point. People are brought into it from different parts of the globe and for unforeseen reasons. [...] The murder itself is the end of the story. It's Zero Hour.”

He paused.