Start by marking “Joan of Arc: In her own words” as Want to Read:
Joan of Arc: In her own words

Joan of Arc: In her own words

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The only available source for the exact words of Joan of Arc, compiled from the transcript of her trials and rearranged as an autobiography by Willard Trask.
Published May 1st 1996 by Turtle Point Press / Books & Co (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Joan of Arc, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joan of Arc

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsSky Ghosts by Alexandra EngellmannOnce Upon a Road Trip by Angela N. BlountThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Warrior Girls
10th out of 40 books — 35 voters
Joan of Arc by Mark TwainSaint Joan of Arc by Vita Sackville-WestJoan by Donald SpotoSaint Joan by George Bernard ShawJoan of Arc by Helen Castor
Joan of Arc Books
28th out of 29 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

TE
This wasn't really what I expected, but it was worth reading if you're interested. Most of the passages were compiled from transcripts and documents such as surviving copies of letters written (dictated) by Jheanne, which tells her story literally "in her own words," but the passages are rather selective. I am still looking for a translation of the transcripts from her trial and other documents to avoid that problem, but I liked this book generally because it traces her journey and reconstructs ...more
Jessica
Unless you are a Joan of Arc freak, I'm not sure what you can take from this book that wouldn't be found and put in better context elsewhere. I mean, I LIKE Joan of Arc. Enough to get a huge tattoo of her on my arm, but I'm pretty surprised that this book has an an average of 4 stars. Luckily, I got it for a gift and it was a nice thought, so I am keeping it, otherwise...
Julia
I was very glad I read Mark Twain's Joan of Arc book before this one. This book is filled with quotes attributed to Joan, but there isn't much background. So I was glad I knew the story and circumstances behind this book.
Steven
The dialogue throughout Joan of Arc’s trial is as compelling as any dialogue in any play I’ve ever read. This whole book was a great read. I’m mostly familiar with Joan of Arc as she’s been portrayed in movies. There were several big, cinematic-worthy scenes within this, “primary historical document”, which would have been incredible on screen, but I don’t recall ever seeing them in any Joan of Arc movies. Here are my 3 favorites:

1) She brought a dead baby back to life momentarily. According to
Sistermagpie
This book is essentially just a collection of things Joan of Arc actually said according to witnesses, letters and the notes of her trial. In this case translated into English.

Her personality really shines through in every word--if anyone thinks someone like Katniss Everdeen is unrealistic, they obviously have never met Joan of Arc. Not only is she tough, single-minded and probably often somewhat difficult, she's clever and funny and terrified when she's got good reason to be. It's amazing liste
Nichole
Mar 10, 2015 Nichole rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
If you know nothing of Joan of Arc (which I did not when I first started), then you will get nothing from this book. I went and read a short illustrated kids' biography book on her so that I knew more about her story and then went to read this and it made it SO much better! This book is literally JUST her words. It doesn't explain what she is doing or what has happened so you have to know her life pretty well before reading this to gain anything from it. So that was annoying but I suppose I shou ...more
Nicole Homan
The book is written in the first person directly from Inquisition transcripts which creates a haunting relationship between the reader, Joan, and the Inquisitors.

Directed right to the heart, the story is sculpted by the author through the selection of letters and transcripts (not a complete translation of all letters). An amazing experience of fear, hope, faith, and love with the constant awareness and presence of the Inquisitors and the inevitable outcome.

I first read this book over ten years
Hailey
It was nice to read her own words however I read it as a companion to a historical biography which helped me understand what was going on around her at the time.
Elena
I bought this book several years ago and it is one purchase that I do not regret. Wonderful for grabbing a thought, it often ends up in the pile of my inspirational books. There is nothing like a word from Joan before facing the day. As history, it is an excellent tool from which to derive direct quotations from one of the greatest enigmas of all time. JOAN OF ARC: IN HER OWN WORDS puts the reader in contact with the mind of the saint and the events which she faced so courageously. Her boldness, ...more
Gobnait
Joan of Arc had great faith, courage, and strength. That being said, this book was weak and the quotes unsupported. The publisher could have done so much more to make Joan, her faith, and her cause come alive to their target audience. My copy even had a photo on Joan headless on it. She was burned at the stake, not beheaded! Someone dropped the ball there.
Connie
Joan of Arc is one of my favorite heroines of history, and this is a book written in her own words, which makes it very dear. Although a very young maid, she writes with a grace and wisdom beyond her years. This is a book to be read and re-read and treasured forever. Because the book is small, it fits perfectly in a pocket or a bag, and can be slipped out for moments of reading at quiet times during the day. I would not give up my copy for anything.
Ruby Noise
An amazing piece of work.
The translation of transcripts from Joan's own words are powerful and encouraging to me as a mere mortal.
Her belief in what she was doing at the time and the voices she heard screams to me to find my own way and forge my own path.
What a wonderful soul.
Sammi
My mother gave me this book when I was 13 on a lark and I've carried it with me ever since. There was something so provoking about the nature of conviction and doubt that was revealed by just reading the transcripts and testimonials of the English's trial against Joan and the French betrayal against the backdrop of Joan's own description of her relationship with her god and the angels she believed spoke to her.
Melanie
Okay. Let me start with this: I am not Christian, nor do I think Joan of Arc was speaking to God. BUT, she was strong and stubborn and did not give in to those who oppressed her. Her words are entrancing. And if you become a fan, or are a fan already, please watch the silent film La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc, which was released in 1928. I watched it for a class, and it is incredible.
Kathy
Having already read through the trial I really didn't count on learning anything from this book, but it was amazing the way Joan's character came out when the events were placed chronologically. I also liked the interspersion of Joan's letters when they helped the story along. An essay was added at the end that, for me, illuminated Joan's place in history.
Christy S
Quite simply this is the story of Joan of Arc without the fluff and guesswork. All of the writing is taken from her trial documents and eyewitness reports, and the translation makes for surprisingly good reading. It’s a short read with a commentary afterwards. Her faith and her audacity surprise me every time I pick this book up.
Annamarie
The book overall was very interesting and a very fast read. I enjoyed the format, and the fact that it was not a flat out biography of Joan's life. I believe that in order to really appreciate the book in its entirety the reader should have some knowledge of Joan of Arc before reading this.
Dawn
I really felt like I was listening to her, (obviously as the book used her own words) but you get a sense of her deep love of Christ, her fear of dying such an awful death and a great respect for this amazing girl turned warrior princess!
Leah
Feb 28, 2007 Leah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Joan of Arc
Shelves: non-fiction
this is a great little book that I picked up while on a camping trip. Only those interested Joan's story will find this book worth-while as it is her story from her own written words compiled by Willard Trask.
Jenny
I loved this. It is a simple little book, but so poignant. You really get a sense of her purpose, and how strongly she felt about it. The last section of the book, covering the trial, is heartbreaking.
Holly
It's Joan of Arc..in her own words..what's not to like. Best line "Wretched boy! Why did you not tell me French blood was flowing? Where are those who would arm me? To horse! To horse!"
James M. Madsen, M.D.
This is an excellent little book that provides Joan of Arc's extant words in chronological order. It's a great supplement to Joan of Arc, by Pernoud and Clin.
David
Aug 07, 2011 David added it
Shelves: to-re-read
what? how?

basically it's the transcript of her trial with the questions removed so that all that remains is her narrative.

fascinating stuff!
Catherine
My Lord has a book in which no scholar has read, how perfect soever he be in scholarship.

-St. Joan of Arc
tree
i'm assuming this is the same as "Joan of Arc: Self Portrait" by the same author?
Cali
Feb 08, 2008 Cali rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone remotely interested in Joan of Arc.
If you're only going to read one book about Joan of Arc, make it this one.
Jonathan Cooley
The last part about her trial was the most interesting and worth reading again
Matt Comito
kind of sad if you think about it
Russell
Now you will really know Joan
  • Joan of Arc: Her Story
  • Hitler, the Germans, and the Final Solution
  • Holy Sonnets
  • Doctors: The Biography of Medicine
  • My Just Desire: The Life of Bess Raleigh, Wife to Sir Walter
Jeanne d'Arc or Joan of Arc (ca. 1412 – 30 May 1431), was nicknamed "The Maid of Orléans" (French: La Pucelle d'Orléans).

She is considered a heroine of France and a Roman Catholic saint. She was born to a peasant family at Domrémy in north-east France. Joan said she received visions of the Archangel Michael, Saint Margaret and Saint Catherine instructing her to support Charles VII and recover Fra
More about Jeanne d'Arc...
Joan of Arc Jeanne d'Arc, maid of Orleans, deliverer of France; being the story of her life, her achievements, and her death, as attested on oath and set forth in original documents; Joan of Arc: Or, the Story of a Noble Life Joan of Arc: Self-Portrait The Listening Heart: A Book on Prayer