Urban Shots

Urban Shots

2.92 of 5 stars 2.92  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Edited by bestselling author, Paritosh Uttam, this is an anthology of 29 urban tales by 13 young writers. Each of these fresh, vivid and deceptively simple stories focuses on an epiphany. The stories are set with the backdrop of our urban metros with their bright lights, sky rises, glitzy malls, tenements, crowds and the chaos that comes with it. A woman tries to come to t...more
Published November 30th 2010 by Grey Oak Publishers India Pvt. Ltd. (first published November 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Urban Shots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Urban Shots

Smita Beohar
The best way to describe this book is to quote this line from the Publisher’s note

“Urban Shots is a collaborative effort, pulled together from writers of diverse backgrounds, who live in different parts of the country.”

To the above line I would add “it is a collection of contemporary stories which are immensely relatable & are a slice out of our own lives.”

Grey Oak publishers, is an endeavor to support Indian writings and going by their first Short Stories collection I am sure this publishin...more
Sarika Patkotwar
Actual rating: 2.5

Not a bad read, but not exactly a great book either. Urban Shots stands somewhere in between. An average book, it is a compilation of short stories by Indian authors. The theme suits the metro and cosmopolitan crowd of today. Some of the stories are really worth reading and nicely put down. Others don't exactly make sense. I didn't quite understand how a few ended. What I thought was that the stories under 'Friendship' were more like love stories and those under 'Love' were pre...more
Dark Blaze
Urban Shots is a compilation of twenty-nine short stories by thirteen authors and the credit of bringing them together goes to the editor of this anthology, Paritosh Uttam. Paritosh Uttam has done a fantastic job in bringing together the stories from different genres together in a single book for a good reading experience. It was amazing to read and realize that we have a considerable amount of talent and we can be sure that Indian English literature has a bright future.

The book is a perfect com...more
Janani
Urban Shots is a good break from the run-of-the-mill fiction we get to read nowadays. Sensitive, bold and urbane, the book mirrors the day-to-day life of a city dweller.

Love, hatred, betrayal and trust in short stories may sound cliche, and it is no less than a challenge to engage readers, circling around familiar emotions. However, the writers have pulled-off the formula with aplomb. Vivid yet subtle, sensitive and balanced, the stories have a soul to them.

Mansee
I can give it 2.5 stars though GR does not give that option -- It was an avg read. Some of the stories were good but others, pretty average.
Manu Prasad
29 stories by 21 authors, held together by the premise of urban India. Each story is only about 4-5 pages long, so the chances of boredom are fairly slim. But most of the stories do revisit well trodden paths, and do not really offer a refreshing take. The twists are fairly predictable except in a couple of cases. It really could've done with better editing - not just in terms of basic grammar and punctuation but also with the ordering and flow of stories.
My favourites were 'The Bengal Tigress'...more
Hema
Urban shots was a book that was sitting in my shelf collecting dust for about 2 years now. The advantage and disadvantage of the book was its short stories. 29 in all, written by 13 authors. The first time I opened the book I read about 5 stories and couldn't get back to it for about a year. The second time I read a couple of them and forgot the book itself. But some how, though they were just short stories describing a phase of the character's life, were very powerful and I couldn't forget how...more
Vinoth
Urban Shots is an anthology of 28 urban short stories written by 13 Indian Authors. The book has been divided into 5 sections namely Relationships, Love, Friendship, Angst and Longing. The collection as a whole does look good. You will not know how good a story is unless you read a not so good one. The editor has done a good job in mixing things up  .Though not all the stories give you the feeling of having read a good one, most do.

The first short story is ‘Hope Comes in Small Package’ by Kain...more
Dilip narayan
This book is a collection of 29 short stories edited by Paritosh Uttam.But among all them I personally like cover story " Hope comes in a small package" written by Kainaz Motivala.When you are in love with someone thats feeling is enormously good but when you loose it no one, literally no one cant fathom deepness of your pain. A pain which kindle your inner soul.Cover story of this book about a woman Priya who lost her first baby during delivery & what happened which helped her to overcome t...more
Nishana Sujith
Urban Shots is a lethal overdose of day dreams and sweetness...... The love in urban shots (which i so artificial sometimes gag me.... The book is worth for 145 bucks i think you get what you want. And if you survive until the angst section you are lucky as it has nice brilliant stories from some writers who unlike others in this book has grown up.... I would sum it as a teen book except for the angst part

Bastab
‎"For us short story fanatics, this collection was a welcome change from the numerous novels of almost-the-same-plot that we go through on a daily basis. Our hats off to the Grey Oak Publishers for coming out with this idea."

My review of 'Urban Shots' on 'Between The Lines'

- Bastab Chakraborty
Ahmed Faiyaz
“...the short stories from this compilation are exceptionally well told tales of life as we see it in this day and age. They intrude into the reader's way of thinking in the most polite but creative ways possible." – Kavya Christopher, Editor, DNA After Hrs (Bangalore)
Advait Borate
Urban shots is a likable collection of short stories. I liked the variety of subjects touched upon in the stories. What makes it different is every story is a different author which brings his/her unique style of writing to the table.
Natasha
Shipra
ufff... how i waited this book to get over!!! probably i hate the books which talk about infidelity in excess.... and some stories are too sweet to be true...

all in all not a good read for me...
Gauri Sood
An interesting book with some really good stories ,a few breezy reads and some average ones . Please read the full review here :
Moinak
Nice initiative to bring up new writers & bloggers through this publication. the stories are appropriately urbane with some glimpses of mundane.
Abhinav Shrivastava
Hardly a few stories that are worth the read.
Completely avoidable.
Detail review available on my blog http://bit.ly/IkCuSB
D
Lovely collection of short stories. Some of them makes you think. My favorite stories were Liberation and The right thing to do.
Abhishek Choudhary 'SmritiAbhi'
Some stories, are REALLY good. But NOT all. In totality, an OK collection of modern urban lifestyle stories.
Prithvi
a fine collection with examples on human emotions and relationships in recent times
Jayaram Kowta
I liked a few of the stories but apart from that, the book is so so I have to say.
Pooja Jha
a lovely collection of short stories on modern day love,life and social outlook..
Famidha Ashraf
shots of short stories... keeps you high .. with the story still living ..
Monika
somewhere between 3.5 and 4 actually, good heartwarming stories
Nimue
wonderful read :)
Taking my time to savor each story told ..
Somyajeet
Its a nice collection stories containing every spice of life!
Amruta Joshi
Amazing collection of Short Stories.
All stories are realistic one.
Mallika
not all stories are interesting....some are boring
Book'd
Nice heart touching short stories by different authors.
  • You Are Here