The Complete Blood Type Encyclopedia Eat Right 4 Your Type

The Complete Blood Type Encyclopedia Eat Right 4 Your Type

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  425 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo has established himself as the world's most popular and respected authority on the connection between blood type and eating, cooking and living. Eat Right 4 Your Type, Cook Right 4 Your Type, and Live Right 4 Your Type have created an international phenomenon.

Published January 1st 2002 by Riverhead Books (first published January 6th 1997)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Blood Type Encyclopedia Eat Right 4 Your Type

Linda Robinson
I gave this a 4 because it fits the book title, and it's not fair to give it a 3 when I did not read the other blood types all the way through. I'm sure they're just fine. My type O diet is interesting. So, I need to eat lean red meat and anything else I can hunt down and kill, because it's the primitive homo sapiens blood type. Great. However I am also a cancer survivor who gave up red meat. And what meat recommended! Lamb, venison, liver, veal, heart, mutton, buffalo - all stuff I wouldn't hav...more
Cheska
I don't believe that every person's internal makeup is the same. Not everyone should be eating meat; not everyone should be a vegan. It makes sense that certain foods are better for different digestive system makeups while others can be toxic. The foods list (for my blood type at least) make sense.

It's a very interesting proposal and worth reading, even if you decide that it's not for you. I'm an AB blood type and with the exception of about 3 or 4 foods that I LOVE on my avoid list, the rest of...more
John Kennedy
This book has changed my life. As a way to try to drop pounds, I'm implementing its strategy and giving up many foods I love that inhibit weight loss for type B blood type like me: corn, chicken, tomatoes, lobster, shrimp, clams, crab and anything with wheat in it. The book's premise is that, whatever your blood type, there are certain foods that are highly beneficial in digestion, some that are neutral and others that are toxic. I'm left with most fruits, vegetables, white fish and dairy produc...more
Fon Kongmuang
I gave a 5 simply because it is proved to be true by science and my own trial. I was skeptical at first when I heard about blood type diet. However, after I finished live right 4 your type and eat right 4 your type books and started to follow the blood type O diets. I experienced tremendous positive outcome! I am a scientist myself and will not believe anything until proven. As a biologist, neuroscientist, and future physician; reading this book with biological amd factual explanation really con...more
Judith
Fascinating so far very logical ! We shall see how though in the practical application of the authors formulas... I am type O so we shall see what's in store for me...
LizG
If you are intrigued by Eat Right 4 Your Type (see my review at http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...), this book provides some additional in-depth information in key areas.

I found the greater detail about the evolution of blood types fascinating and helpful in seeing the greater context of differences in blood type. (As an aside, it's not very comforting to know that mankind has wantonly squandered the resources of earth since the days of the Cro-Magnon onward. We haven't come that far, hav...more
Jeffrey William
Super interesting theory. Humans started off with O blood type and were meat eating/hunting and foraging, then moved north from Africa and started farming to birth A blood type, agrarian. A type is more vegetarian and fit for more social structure. Then B blood type came about after and moved out east, India and such. Then AB blood type is the most recent. He did a lot of studies with blood and interactions with food compounds and based a lot off that. I can't remember how much was actual human...more
Kristina Seleshanko
A naturopath who's helped me a lot recommended I follow this diet plan, based on my blood type. I was highly skeptical at first, but realised she's been practicing formality 25 yrs. and has seen a lot of success with the diet. And as I read the book, I had to admit it does help explain why one way of eating seems to make one person healthy while not working at all for others. So I am giving the diet a try.
Melissa
This is pretty interesting because lots of what was written was true. I am intolerant of the things it listed and do better with the list it suggested. I also have some of the diseases/issues that fit my blood type as well. Im impressed with his research and suggestions!
Kathy
I don't usually like reading fad diet books but this one is totally unique. It lists foods that react badly in your system depending on what blood type you have. Seeing that I suffer from indigestion regularly I thought I'd have a look. Apparantly some of the foods that I eat nearly everyday are ones that I should avoid so I'm a bit dissapointed but hopefull. I will definately give it a go as I eat very healthily but still feel slugish and bloated sometimes. The reason why I gave it five stars i...more
Judy Collins
This is a great book and one you will want to keep for reference. My doctor tested me for my blood type and recommended it highly, as I have a lot of food allergies. Very good --breakdown of what fitness, foods, and diets you should follow based on your specific blood type (the way God made you).

Now comes the essential reference book to answer all your questions about conditions, herbs, supplements, medication and food. From asthma to sore throat, from cancer to thrombosis, this guide recommend...more
Sweetrica Baker
I was gratly relieved when this book was referred to me by a friend. At the time I was having a very bad pain in my stomach. I feared that it might be cancer since it runs in the family, but then I read this book regarding type Os and found that wheat was one of many avoidable foods. I had put myself on a high wheat regime before reading this book for years. After I stopped with the whole wheat cereals, wheat bread and crackers and two weeks later the pain went away. Only returning when I eat to...more
Adrienna
I met a woman in 98 that gave me this book because she felt it didn't work for her. I knew back then I was trying to lose up to 25 lbs of extra weight to get to ideal weight; therefore, she told me to try this book. I read my blood type: A+ and liked some of the suggestions but have acid reflux, so some of the stuff I couldn't or refused to eat. I still have the book somewhere packed and will revisit again to see how it helps but now see a cook one, and see how that works out since I am serious...more
Karin Barth
Read this years ago, but reference it often.
I feel better since I started eating this way!
Karen Bair
Great way to learn how your body will react to food based on your blood type...
Dany Pelletier
Not sure how valid this all is.
Sean Murnin
I always found it frustrating that if something is not listed, it's "probably" neutral for your bloodtype. boswellia listed as frankincense is an expensive herb, it doesn't seem to be listed for type b. it was contained in a curcumin blend and i was hoping to get a status whether it is an avoid for type b. The encyclopedia is an enjoyable book if i focus on the beneficials that are listed. GABA is a mild tranquilizer for type B.
Derek
(ABRIDGED)
Not a horrible book, great to take and glean the good stuff out of. But I became a little disinterested during the lengthy list of minutia of one blood type being this way... except this... similar to the other blood type, except... It was a maze of information with lightly researched topics that haven't found a conclusion quite yet. It broadened my views on what may be involved in nutrition though.
Crystal
The theory behind this book is poorly developed. The anthropological descriptions of how diet has changed over time is well researched as is the evidence on how certain disease is linked to blood type but, the author fails to link his theory, the evidence, and any research to specific foods. In addition, there have not been many, if any studies on foods and how they affect individuals of a particular blood type.
Susie
Jan 14, 2009 Susie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great reference book. It includes the theory, food recommendations as well as summary of health issues and treatment recommendations. This is the most comprehensive of the books I have read on this topic. The concepts are thought provoking and the recommendations are easy to follow. This is a very interesting book if you believe that you have some control over your health and well being.
Melody Sciarratta
Initial post: This seems so intuitively right. I'm giving it a whirl! :D

Final post: OK. This has some limited value in describing some of the processes of disease but the recommendations of the author are almost all "follow protocol XYZ" or what herbal supplements to use. I wanted specific food recommendations and/or avoidance's. I can better get this info from other sources. :(
Lutfi Albasha
A nice book to read and I learned few things for sure. However, the author's constant reference to history of human race whenever and wherever he could is overdone. The tabular forms he uses are handy and the modular structure of the chapters are good. Humans discovered wheat (and bread soon after ) at the same time as cooked meat. So am not sure about some of the arguments put down.
Allyson
Interesting read. I definitely think there's some truth to the premise of our blood type determining how we should eat. D'Adamo does a good job of breaking down a potentially confusing topic into layman's terms without being condescending.
Kristina
I thought it was interesting the writers's hereditary explanations as to why certain nutrients are more helpful (or harmful) to the genetics of one's blood type. I'am no dietitian or hematologist to fully proclaim if this theory of nutrition is the best, but I think I will try the guidelines for my blood type B, and see how I feel in 6 weeks.
Pat
Interesting diet...but a little too restrictive. I've been eating whole wheat products for 60+ years...and I'm still here! The author says many generic comments about certain foods that are almost a poison to one's blood type...but doesn't back up his comments with any scientific study. Like all other diet theories...use sparingly!
Ewelina Karpinska
Some stuff there makes sense, but other was just a bit too hard core and restrictive. I tried following it for a while few years ago and didn't really notice the difference in how I feel or look... They told me I can't eat chicken, pretty much the only meat I like. Now I eat it and still feel fine.
Katie Childs
My husband has health issues that he doesn't want to deal with. After reading this book, I changed a few things in his diet to fit his blood type (since I make all the meals), and it has made a world of difference! I can't wait to try a few changes in my diet to see what it can do for me!
La Donna
Another interesting read. Lots more info than I actually want. The tables and lists are helpful. I just don't know if I believe the whole philosophy. I might give it a try since its not difficult to do a little at a time. I have a friend you went full in and felt more energy and lost some weight.
Scottiev
Great Premise and historic, I love naturopathic ideaolgies on using your OWN body to heal itself, the only down fall I had with his book was the seemingly contrived stories about people that had tried his recommendations and it worked, I prefered his voice when he wasn't being anticdotal
Tina
D'Adamo lays out good arguments how blood type affects what is optimum for our health and well-being. Great strategies for overcoming illness as well despite the mere paragraph devoted to ALS (my diagnosis). A must read for those who desire taking real responsibilty for their own health.
  • Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future
  • The Doctor's Book of Home Remedies: Thousands of Tips and Techniques Anyone Can Use to Heal Everyday Health Problems
  • The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics
  • The Diet Cure
  • Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine
  • The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding Your Immunity
  • The 30-Day Vegan Challenge: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Cleaner, Getting Leaner, and Living Compassionately
  • The Paleo Diet Cookbook: More Than 150 Recipes for Paleo Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Snacks, and Beverages
  • The Juicing Bible
  • Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth About Cow's Milk and Your Health
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • Clean Gut: The Breakthrough Plan for Eliminating the Root Cause of Disease and Revolutionizing Your Health
  • Herbal Healing for Women
  • The Green Beauty Guide: Your Essential Resource to Organic and Natural Skin Care, Hair Care, Makeup, and Fragrances
  • The Gerson Therapy: The Amazing Nutritional Program for Cancer and Other Illnesses
  • Organic Body Care Recipes: 175 Homeade Herbal Formulas for Glowing Skin & a Vibrant Self
  • Winning by Losing: Drop the Weight, Change Your Life
  • Green Smoothies Diet: The Natural Program for Extraordinary Health
Eat Right 4 Your Type: The Individualized Diet Solution to Staying Healthy, Living Longer & Achieving Your Ideal Weight Live Right 4 Your Type Cook Right 4 Your Type: The Practical Kitchen Companion to Eat Right 4 Your Type The GenoType Diet: Change Your Genetic Destiny to live the longest, fullest and healthiest life possible Blood Type A: Food, Beverage and Supplement Lists from Eat Right for Your Type