The Colonels (Brotherhood Of War, #4)

The Colonels (Brotherhood of War #4)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  2,076 ratings  ·  18 reviews
They were the professionals, the men who had been toughened by combat in the mine-laden fields of Europe, in Korea, in Greece, in Indochina.
Now, in the twilight of a dying decade, they must return to the United States to forge a new type of American soldier—one to be tested on the beaches of Cuba and in a new war yet to come...
Published November 1st 1986 by Jove Books (first published June 1st 1983)

Mike (the Paladin)
The decade is ending, things are changing...a lot.

In this book the beginnings of special operations units is taking place. The Characters are growing...sometimes or in some cases...and things will (of course) never be the same.

Presidents come and go throughout the decades of our story but it seems that one of our characters has a place with each of them. This surprises him as much as anyone else. And there continues to be a place for each officer, even though this to seems a surprise, in at leas...more
Booknblues
The Colonels is the fourth in W.E.B. Griffin's series Brotherhood of War. it follows a group of colonels and other military personnel from December, 1958 until April 1961, the period during which the US military advisors were becoming more entrenched in Vietnam and the time when the famous Bay of Pigs debacle took place.

Griffin, who was a soldier has a degree of expertise regarding military matters and the ability to interest the reader in them through his plot and character development. While t...more
Chris Birdy
As usual W.E.B. Griffin gives a detailed account of a slice of military life. In this book it's obviously the lives of a group of men prior to the Bay of Pigs and pre-total involvement in Vietnam. Sometimes I believe the details are tiresome but, then again, this is the tenth book I've read of his so he must be doing something right.
Richard Palmer
Once again, WEB Griffin does not disappoint. There were all the drama, all the changing fortunes, all the personality clashes that I have enjoyed so much in the previous three novels in the series.

A large part at the opening of this book is a long lead in to a New Years Eve party at the Officers' Club at Fort Rucker. It does indeed turn out to be a dramatic event.

Once again, Craig Lowell is trying to get his career back, facing big personal problems, and proving in the end that he is a warrior,...more
Vidhul Dev
The Army life with different personalities working out a way to live as a team. Lot many ego clashes, having fun while living dangerously. Well described well written. Loved it.
Will
Run-Up to the Bay of Pigs and Air Cav Points to Vietnam. Lowell, caught up in the flury of the rocket chopper demo, bounces around illicit affairs until he is totally taken with Time-Life reporter Cynthia Taylor, who runsaway on their wedding day. Lowell maps out air facilities in Vietnam and hot foots it back to help with the Bay of Pigs planning, only to swoop in on an amphib plane and swoop Felter and company out from the beach at the last moment. Jack Kennedy recommends Lowell for LTC, who j...more
Mikel Dawson
Knowing the time frames it normally takes for the advancement in rank, I found Griffin kept to it. He also showed how some can advance through special circumstances and events. Progressing from WWII up into the '60 he did a great job of career progression for each.
David Ward
The Colonels (Brotherhood of War #4) by W.E.B. Griffin (Jove 1983) (Fiction - Military). The soldiers that had fought in Europe, Korea, and Vietnam were now hardened professional soldiers; they were called back stateside to train the next group which would be tested on the beaches of Cuba. My rating: 7/10, finished 1983.
Russianwitch
I went through this series in my 'all things military' phase which lasted quit a while. I think most of the politics which would make the books interesting to me now got missed by my 15 year old self reading them. But I do remember enjoying them regardless but not enough to reread them.
George
Fourth in the series, just as exciting as the previous three. Our heroes proceed along their careers, meshed in the history of the USA during the late 50s to early 60s. Is the Army that root bound? On to number five!
Robert
This was a page turner. As soon as I started it I couldn't put it down.
Jerilyn
audiobook, great series, have actual books at home.
Terry Thomas
Loved the whole series. Read them all.
J.W. Thompson
A great book from the master of stories
Jim
Read during my Army time.
Clyde
Clyde marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Gabor
Gabor marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Cudeyo
Cudeyo marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
  • Charlie Mike
  • Vortex
  • Hammer Heads
  • Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #1)
  • Final Flight (Jake Grafton, #2)
  • The Steel Wave (World War II: 1939-1945, #2)
  • Sympathy for the Devil
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the author of thirty-six epic novels in six series, all of which have been listed on The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly and other best-seller lists. More than forty million of his books are in print in more than ten languages, including Hebrew, Chinese,...more
More about W.E.B. Griffin...
The Hostage (Presidential Agent, #2) Semper Fi (The Corps, #1) By Order of the President (Presidential Agent, #1) The Lieutenants (Brotherhood of War, #1) Call To Arms (The Corps, #2)