Gods of Manhattan (Pax Britannia: El Sombra, #2)

Gods of Manhattan (Pax Britannia: El Sombra #2)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  18 reviews
New York, the steam-powered city of tomorrow where psychedelic beat-poets rumble with punk futurists in the rain drenched alleys, and where mad science colludes with the monstrous plans of the Meccha-Fuhrer.
Published January 1st 2011 by Abaddon Books (first published September 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Gods of Manhattan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gods of Manhattan

Larry
This was a fun one chocked full of awesome characters and grand adventures. I would recommend it but who am I. Reads like a classic pulp does jump around a bit but kept my attention to the end. At first I thought a bit cheesy then I remembered how much I like cheese. Like I said who am I to judge . Just read it and enjoy it as much as I did.
William Gerke
Al Ewing knows his stuff! This pulp-filled adventure-fest is delightfully evocative of The Avenger, Doc Savage, the original Superman Comics, and the Shadow. The prose is sometimes a bit overblown, but I suspect that is deliberate as Ewing makes mad and passionate love to comic book and pulp conventions in a rocketing novel full of twists and turns and reveals and battles. A thoroughly fun read.

Each chapter is titled like its a full-blown adventure story and many of them are. The characters all...more
Isidore
Al Ewing, perhaps the most ridiculously under-appreciated genre novelist of our time, delivers yet another fine book. Ewing is always full of surprises, and I certainly did not expect the second El Sombra novel to be a romp filled with pulp fiction/comic book in-jokes and parodies. Ewing resurrects Doc Savage, Ayesha, Denny Colt (aka "The Spirit") and other old literary acquaintances, here very thinly disguised by slightly modified names and attributes––somewhat in the manner of Kim Newman, both...more
Mutlu Cankay
New York, deliler ve dahiler yaratan hırçın bir şehirdir. ASBD'nin ( Amerika Sosyalist Birleşmiş Devletleri ) en büyük kahramanı olan Doc Thunder, yardımcısını gizemli bir ölümü araştırması için görevlendirdiğinde kendi geçmişiyle de yüzleşmesi gerekeceğini bilmemektedir. Doc'un yardımcısı Monk, araştırma esnasında gizemli bir figür tarafından yaralanır: Blood Spider. Tıpkı Blood Spider gibi daha New York'a yeni gelmiş bir suç savaşçısı olan El Sombre, ortalığa dehşet saçmaktadır... Doc, deli su...more
Shane
Didn't read book 1 of this but it sounds like (from the first 10 pages or so) that won't matter much. I picked this up because it looked different from most of the stuff I've read and it was. It's basically a book about superheroes in a kind of steampunk-ish alternate past. The main character, Doc Thunder, is obviously a homage to Superman just smarter and with less powers.

The story has a lot (too many I think) of flashbacks but I think this is done as a device to make the whole thing more "pulp...more
Christopher
Pure pulp adventure that fits right in the comic-book mold. Tells the crazy steampunk-ish tale of a Manhattan that's fresh off a second civil war against "futureheads" and their quasi-McCarthyite forces. Now Manhattan resides in the United Socialist States of America and superheroes like Doc Thunder and his thousand year old lover Maya and his sidekick Monk Olsen the Gorilla Reporter battle the Blood Spider, the evil Lars Larson and a still alive Hitler's forces (Hitler, naturally, still lives i...more
Gautam
If you love the hero pulps of old this is a love letter to that begone era. There are some imaginative deep cuts as you follow pastiches of Doc Savage and the Shadow through the Pax Brittania steam punk alternate history. If anything the steam punk elements are the stories main weakness. They feel like after thoughts to the setting of the story.

All in all, I liked the story a great deal. This is the sequel to the El Sombra novel by Al Ewing. Luckily, that was not a barrier of entry for getting...more
John
Wow. This may be the perfect pulp superhero novel. It's able to stand alone for those who don't want to read the other Pax Britannia novels and you can enjoy it without even having read the El Sombre novel (also by Ewing). I was hooked within pages and found it served up an odd fair that delivered a world full of familiar tropes but used them to tell a solid, entertaining story. It was often like a puzzle box, deliberately pulling at threads familiar from a variety of comics but never tedious or...more
Amy
This really is one of the most perfect pulp novels I can imagine. Superheroes, supervillains, alternative reality, steampunky Victoriana socialist America... there's nothing here that you won't love. Ewing pays homage to the graphic novel genre by playing with names and characters that comic books fans will find familiar, and the Lady Ga Ga riff alone is worth the entire read. Most importantly, Ewing rides that fine line between darkness and humor, so that even while horrifying events take place...more
Liam
The biggest problem with this book was that it uses source material that has been rehashed too many times. Both Planetary and Tom Strong use analogs of the same characters and in many ways do better jobs of making their iterations interesting. Ewing does a decent job with his characters though and the setting is set in an interesting piece if alternate history that I enjoyed. While I believe the setting comes from the series though and not the author, he does lend it an interesting style.
John Montagne
It was a fun read... super heros in a diesel/steampunk setting. If it were the usual super hero setting I don't think I'd have cared for it as much, but the characters actually jest at the typical traits of super hero/villains, such as the villain gloating after catching the hero, or the fact that most heros are merely vigilantes.
edifanob
Kudos Al Ewing! The second El Sombra adventure in the world of PAX BRITANNIA is an entertaining hell of a ride. If there is one thing to complain it is the shortness with just 238 pages. I want more El Sombra.

Please Mr Al Ewing please sharpen your pen and write more about El Sombra.

Full review in progress ...
Jonathan
Deliberately trashy pulp sci-fi that this is intended to be, in some respects it fails to live up to its own promise.
It's churlish to demand depth from the characters but I was hoping for more interest.
The same goes for the plot. It's all okay, but nothing shocking or over the top.

It's a time passer. But nothing more.
Bill
I admit, I did not really enjoy El Sombra, but really like the Quicksilver installments of Pax Britannia. I read this one just to complete the series so far and did not expect much from it but I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the vigilante vs. vigilante vs. superhero plot.
Dru
I *really* enjoyed this book from Al Ewing. He borrows a bit from pulp heroes like doc savage and the shadow and then twists them into a fantastic alternate history of america and the world.
John Morris
steam punk at its finest. the pax Britannia series just keeps getting better. that said I didn't enjoy it as much as el sombre
Cole
A BOMBSHELL OF A BOOK!!! Fun, Fast, Gritty. Give it a read if you want to enjoy something.
Paul
Paul is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2014
Winterking
Winterking marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Joshua S Hill
Joshua S Hill marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Meike
Meike is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2014
Ben
Ben added it
Apr 20, 2014
Zenmasterdod
Zenmasterdod marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Loki: Agent of Asgard #1 Loki: Agent of Asgard #2 Loki: Agent of Asgard #3 Loki: Agent of Asgard #4 The Fictional Man