Start by marking “12 Angry Men: True Stories of Being a Black Man in America Today” as Want to Read:
12 Angry Men: True Stories of Being a Black Man in America Today

12 Angry Men: True Stories of Being a Black Man in America Today

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  15 reviews
First-person contemporary stories of racial profiling, as experienced by black men from all walks of life and all parts of the country.
Published January 11th 2011 by New Press (first published October 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 12 Angry Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 12 Angry Men

Janet
While I've certainly been aware of the practice of racial profiling and read about the disproportionate numbers of black men who have been abused and killed by US police, this was the first time I'd read first-person stories of what it's like to be the target of racial profiling. Yes, there is repetition, but I agree with one of the other reviewers here that that's part of the point. These incidents are a repetitive fact of life for all too many black male citizens -- and it should not be. I am ...more
Cornelia
Twelve black men with varied backgrounds and lives recount very similar experiences of being racially profiled, sometimes on numerous occasions. This book was illuminating, heart-breaking and powerful.

The voices behind these essays are diverse and distinct. These men range in age, career, education level and SES. The backdrops, too, vary from upscale neighborhoods to public housing to airports, from major metropolises to suburbs, from coast to coast to the South to our nation's capital. Still t
Bill
As a young black man, I'd been racially profiled more times than I could count. And even as a middle-aged man, I've been tagged more than once. This book, through personal testimony, perfectly encapsulates the anger, frustration, and fear that I'd felt on those occasions. It's a bit infuriating, but definitely well worth the read.
Lauren
This collection of essays is an amazing look into the life of the average, not so average black man in the United States of America. It is interesting how a slight peak into interactions with the police and the world at large can help shift your perspective.

How would you react to being pulled over so often that you allow yourself extra time to arrive on time to function factoring in the evitable flashing lights that accompany your driving?

How would you react to being stopped and frisked almost
Ariadna73
This book presents 12 stories of verbal and physical abuse received by 12 black men in America. Their only sin: being black. All these are honorable; respected and innocent men that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time: walking on the streets; trying to enter their home; driving their car; making a phone call in an airport. But wait... the wrong place? Not if they were not black. They are just the wrong color; and that is so unfair that makes me sick. I literally got a headache re ...more
Robin
The fact that this is a very quick read (maybe an hour) belies the fact that it leaves you stunned and nearly speechless. I'm not sure what to say -- I'm not naive, but this made me ill. I think anyone who has led a sheltered life, who believes people should just 'get a job,' or 'show some initiative,' should read this book. There's more to say. I'm having trouble finding the words.
Karen
The essays are all articulate and interesting, and the editor makes and effort to have a lot of socioeconomic range in the writers. My husband actually picked it up and read it after I was done, which is a huge compliment.

The material wasn't particularly illuminating though, if you read magazines that include such essays regularly.
Sherry
The nice thing about a book of essays is that if you don't like one, you're on to the next one pretty quickly. The book was fine. Racial profiling is a very interesting topic, particularly when told by the victims of the profiling. With that said, not all of the essays were that great.
Warren Benton
This book gave me a perspective that i do not currently hold. Some of the stories are heart wrenching and point out how the police do abuse their power in some situations. I must say that reading this book sort of made me an angry man also
Tamika
It took just over a day for me to read this book. It was a quick, and excellent read. I recommend it to anyone who needs to be reminded of the racial injustices still being carried out today.
Lindsey
Definitely eye opening, and sad. Being a white woman, I have no idea what it's like to be black in America. This book of short stories helped that.
Natalya
that book was awesome because that book inspired me to fight for justice so now when i grow up i want to be a lawyer.
Stephanie
provocative, engaging. conveyed great info in 12 short, interesting stories.
Shirley
With all that has happened on the streets of America, these past months this book was so appropriate with the police racial profiling of black men and the "quick draw" of their guns on these men. The essays say it all about black/brown men not being able to trust law officials, from the average to not so average black/brown man in the U.S.A.
Lisa
Few books have reached me the way this one did. Of course, I knew that racial profiling was rampant -- yet hearing the accounts of people who experienced this injustice was eye-opening. This book is a must-read.
Rt
Rt added it
Dec 20, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Shequita Cook
Shequita Cook marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Ella
Ella marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Lavan
Lavan marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Brittany Campbell
Brittany Campbell marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Charlotte cooper
Charlotte cooper marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Pedro
Pedro marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Black Greek-Letter Organizations in the Twenty-First Century: Our Fight Has Just Begun Alpha Phi Alpha: A Legacy of Greatness, the Demands of Transcendence The Obamas and a (Post) Racial America? Critical Race Realism: Intersections of Psychology, Race, and Law African American Fraternities and Sororities: The Legacy and the Vision