Start by marking “12 Angry Men: True Stories of Being a Black Man in America Today” as Want to Read:
12 Angry Men: True Stories of Being a Black Man in America Today

12 Angry Men: True Stories of Being a Black Man in America Today

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  105 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
First-person contemporary stories of racial profiling, as experienced by black men from all walks of life and all parts of the country.
Published January 11th 2011 by New Press (first published October 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 12 Angry Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 12 Angry Men

Janet
Jul 29, 2011 Janet rated it really liked it
While I've certainly been aware of the practice of racial profiling and read about the disproportionate numbers of black men who have been abused and killed by US police, this was the first time I'd read first-person stories of what it's like to be the target of racial profiling. Yes, there is repetition, but I agree with one of the other reviewers here that that's part of the point. These incidents are a repetitive fact of life for all too many black male citizens -- and it should not be. I am ...more
Cornelia
Dec 02, 2014 Cornelia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfic, 2014
Twelve black men with varied backgrounds and lives recount very similar experiences of being racially profiled, sometimes on numerous occasions. This book was illuminating, heart-breaking and powerful.

The voices behind these essays are diverse and distinct. These men range in age, career, education level and SES. The backdrops, too, vary from upscale neighborhoods to public housing to airports, from major metropolises to suburbs, from coast to coast to the South to our nation's capital. Still t
Bill
May 14, 2011 Bill rated it really liked it
As a young black man, I'd been racially profiled more times than I could count. And even as a middle-aged man, I've been tagged more than once. This book, through personal testimony, perfectly encapsulates the anger, frustration, and fear that I'd felt on those occasions. It's a bit infuriating, but definitely well worth the read.
Karen
The essays are all articulate and interesting, and the editor makes and effort to have a lot of socioeconomic range in the writers. My husband actually picked it up and read it after I was done, which is a huge compliment.

The material wasn't particularly illuminating though, if you read magazines that include such essays regularly.
Lauren
Mar 03, 2014 Lauren rated it it was amazing
This collection of essays is an amazing look into the life of the average, not so average black man in the United States of America. It is interesting how a slight peak into interactions with the police and the world at large can help shift your perspective.

How would you react to being pulled over so often that you allow yourself extra time to arrive on time to function factoring in the evitable flashing lights that accompany your driving?

How would you react to being stopped and frisked almost
Ariadna73
Jan 26, 2012 Ariadna73 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chronics
This book presents 12 stories of verbal and physical abuse received by 12 black men in America. Their only sin: being black. All these are honorable; respected and innocent men that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time: walking on the streets; trying to enter their home; driving their car; making a phone call in an airport. But wait... the wrong place? Not if they were not black. They are just the wrong color; and that is so unfair that makes me sick. I literally got a headache re ...more
Bob Anderson
Apr 08, 2015 Bob Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of twelve accounts of racial profiling. The author’s identity and tone shifts between the chapter, but like Odysseus the reader can apprehend in the swirl a Protean form that connects each of them, the vastness of American racism. Stories from a law student, a baseball Hall of Famer, a recent high school graduate, several professors and more show readers that it is irrelevant in the eyes of racism what accomplishments one does or doesn’t have, that the experience transcends ...more
Robin
Oct 12, 2013 Robin rated it it was amazing
The fact that this is a very quick read (maybe an hour) belies the fact that it leaves you stunned and nearly speechless. I'm not sure what to say -- I'm not naive, but this made me ill. I think anyone who has led a sheltered life, who believes people should just 'get a job,' or 'show some initiative,' should read this book. There's more to say. I'm having trouble finding the words.
Sherry
Jul 23, 2011 Sherry rated it it was ok
The nice thing about a book of essays is that if you don't like one, you're on to the next one pretty quickly. The book was fine. Racial profiling is a very interesting topic, particularly when told by the victims of the profiling. With that said, not all of the essays were that great.
Warren Benton
Oct 03, 2012 Warren Benton rated it liked it
This book gave me a perspective that i do not currently hold. Some of the stories are heart wrenching and point out how the police do abuse their power in some situations. I must say that reading this book sort of made me an angry man also
Tamika
Feb 20, 2011 Tamika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It took just over a day for me to read this book. It was a quick, and excellent read. I recommend it to anyone who needs to be reminded of the racial injustices still being carried out today.
Lindsey
Jun 08, 2011 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Definitely eye opening, and sad. Being a white woman, I have no idea what it's like to be black in America. This book of short stories helped that.
Natalya
May 15, 2012 Natalya rated it it was amazing
that book was awesome because that book inspired me to fight for justice so now when i grow up i want to be a lawyer.
Brandon Donnell
Dec 07, 2015 Brandon Donnell rated it it was amazing
Very well put together book. A must read for anyone genuinely interested in walking a mile in another man's shoes. Educational and informative. 12 views of America that you probably won't get from mainstream media.
Tye-Teona
Apr 15, 2016 Tye-Teona rated it liked it
it was okay they couldn't make up their mind and that was making me mad.
AnaFernanda Cardenas
Mar 24, 2016 AnaFernanda Cardenas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school
12 Angry Men by Gregory S. Parks is fascinating story about 12 completely different opinionated man with strong personalities decide the case of a young boy whom is thought of murdering his father. The 12 angry men gather together to make decision of the life of child... is he guilty or not.
Pat Horton
Jan 15, 2015 Pat Horton rated it really liked it
thought provoking.
Stephanie
Jan 16, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
provocative, engaging. conveyed great info in 12 short, interesting stories.
Shirley
Dec 22, 2014 Shirley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
With all that has happened on the streets of America, these past months this book was so appropriate with the police racial profiling of black men and the "quick draw" of their guns on these men. The essays say it all about black/brown men not being able to trust law officials, from the average to not so average black/brown man in the U.S.A.
Jess Lagos
Mar 24, 2016 Jess Lagos rated it it was ok
Good play. Very well written.
Tahni Candelaria
Nov 16, 2015 Tahni Candelaria rated it really liked it
Shelves: ethnicity-race
An excellent introduction to the racism that remains inherent in American society. A collection of stories that I tore through quickly, my eyes still being opened to even my own prejudice. The stories were easy to read, yet very disheartening at times. So glad I read it, despite how upsetting some of it was.
Lisa
Few books have reached me the way this one did. Of course, I knew that racial profiling was rampant -- yet hearing the accounts of people who experienced this injustice was eye-opening. This book is a must-read.
Vivek
Vivek marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
MizUndahStood
MizUndahStood rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Tesha Elliott
Tesha Elliott marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Daniel Fevrin
Daniel Fevrin marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Barasa Mulati
Barasa Mulati marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Too Heavy a Load: Black Women in Defense of Themselves, 1894-1994
  • The Future of the Race
  • Nigger: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word
  • Bitch Is the New Black: A Memoir
  • Our Black Year: One Family's Quest to Buy Black in America's Racially Divided Economy
  • The Hip-Hop Generation: Young Blacks and the Crisis in African-American Culture
  • Copy This!: Lessons from a Hyperactive Dyslexic who Turned a Bright Idea Into One of America's Best Companies
  • The Meritocracy Myth
  • Mad at Miles: A Blackwoman's Guide to Truth
  • Mr. and Mrs. Prince: How an Extraordinary Eighteenth-Century Family Moved Out of Slavery and into Legend
  • Javatrekker: Dispatches from the World of Fair Trade Coffee
  • Letters to an Incarcerated Brother: Encouragement, Hope, and Healing for Inmates and Their Loved Ones
  • The Furious Improvisation: How the WPA and a Cast of Thousands Made High Art out of Desperate Times
  • Life Gets Better: The Unexpected Pleasures of Growing Older
  • Does Your Mama Know?: An Anthology of Black Lesbian Coming Out Stories
  • Go the Way Your Blood Beats: An Anthology of Lesbian and Gay Literary Fiction by African-American Writers
  • Southern Horrors: Women and the Politics of Rape and Lynching