Start by marking “Dare to Prepare: How to Win Before You Begin!” as Want to Read:
Dare to Prepare: How to Win Before You Begin!

Dare to Prepare: How to Win Before You Begin!

During his forty-year career in the worlds of law, sports, business, and politics, Ron Shapiro has worked with a great variety of people. He's found that the secret for getting into the winner's circle is simply disciplined preparation. In Dare to Prepare, successful people such as wine guru Robert Parker, investment legend Bill Miller, pianist Leon Fleisher, Goldman Sachs ...more
Audio CD, 1 page
Published February 1st 2008 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dare to Prepare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dare to Prepare

Gary Dale Cearley
In his book Dare to Prepare: How to Win Before You Begin Ronald Shapiro gives us the secret, the open secret, to success… You have to do some work for it!

Actually, he makes it that simple. If you wanna win, you have to practice and you have to prepare in advance. And Ronald Shapiro should know. He is a lawyer, an arbitrator, a negotiator and he owns a very successful professional sports agency which has represented major nationally and internationally known athletes. Shapiro gives us the reason
Mariam Asal
May 12, 2014 Mariam Asal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is not reinventing the concept of preparation. However, arranging all the steps in a logical coherent order, insisting on the importance of each step and simplifying each with real examples are all making this book worth reading, not to mention how you can easily relate it to every day life.

Motivating. Inspiring. Realistic. Five stars for the joy of reading this well-prepared for book.
Kyle
Aug 27, 2012 Kyle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
This just in: preparation is important. Yes, this is something we already new but it's good to be reminded. Even better, it is good to be given steps to better refine our processes.

Overall, it's a timely and helpful topic. It's just not fun to read, by the end of the book the anecdotes of people who exemplify the steps outlined in the book grew tedious.
Gene Babon
Mar 22, 2008 Gene Babon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: strategy
Preparation: "the system for getting long-term results in our short-term world." I'm a believer in being prepared; that's why I read the book.

The author reinforced the value of preparation through his eight principles. He also introduced the reader to 38 individuals who have succeeded in their careers by applying one or more of the eight principles.

I didn't find many of the 38 career examples compelling, in part because they hailed from a wide array of career disciplines which I had a challenge
Ray Kelly
Feb 23, 2015 Ray Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Dare to Prepare, Ronald Shapiro introduces us to people from all walks of life who share the way they apply discipline in preparing for career-changing deals, meetings, games, and interviews. Shapiro explains that the primary ingredient for their success is simply the discipline of methodical preparation. He explains that this is essential whether you are an executive getting ready to do a deal or make a speech; a pitcher studying the traits of opposing hitters and keeping a meticulous notebo ...more
Kathleen Rainwater
Sep 22, 2012 Kathleen Rainwater rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
People have common excuses as to why they fail to plan: 1. They don’t have time, 2. They’ve done it before and 3. They already know how. By making these assumptions you will often end up showing how unprepared you really are. Use the preparation checklist at the end of this book to make sure you know what you are after and how you will address the concerns and questions of others. The benefits you will gain by being prepared are self confidence, effectiveness and satisfaction.
Jared Pyatt
Dec 14, 2009 Jared Pyatt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book while in the middle of interviewing for jobs, post graduate school. Shapiro paints a black and white picture of successful preparation and inspires action to thoroughly prepare before any meaningful task. I give this book five stars because without it, I perhaps would not have been as prepared for the opportunities I have today.
Sunshine Moore
Seemed pretty straight-forward. Basic advice on planning. Set a goal. Know what's been done before. Build a team. Get the team to buy in. Strategy. Time line. Prepare scripts. It has lots of "real world" anecdotes from businesses. It's not for me.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A should-read book on career management.
James
Good book with some helpful hints. Now if I could only find time in my 10 hour work days to spend time preparing.
John
Sep 04, 2015 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I trusted the source...and felt good about the material.
Not a bad stack of paper : ]
Michael Farrell
Michael Farrell rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2008
Yuri Rosa
Yuri Rosa rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Jeff Jn
Jeff Jn rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2014
BH
BH rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Charmin
Oct 10, 2013 Charmin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Preparation is getting ready for opportunities for success.
Andria
Andria rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2012
Fawzy
Fawzy rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2012
Elaine W
Elaine W rated it it was ok
May 08, 2013
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Marie Wintriss
Marie Wintriss rated it did not like it
Mar 18, 2014
Ron
Ron rated it did not like it
Dec 21, 2011
Plbour
Plbour rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2009
George
George rated it liked it
May 16, 2013
Leo
Leo rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
Kris Anne
Kris Anne rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Burouj
Burouj rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2013