Number Talks, Grades K-5: Helping Children Build Mental Math and Computation Strategies

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Whether you want to implement number talks but are how to begin or have experience but want more guidance in crafting unsure of purposeful problems, this dynamic multimedia resource will support you in building mental math and computational strategies. The author explains what a classroom number talk is; how to follow students’ thinking and pose the right questions to buil...more
Published April 5th 2010 by Math Solutions (first published January 1st 2010)

Rachael
This book is truly a great resource for any teacher wanting to increase his or her students' "math talk" and critical thinking skills. By providing sample problems for students to solve in multiple ways, student conversation and math vocabulary are encouraged and normalized. In addition, through student-led discussion about the various ways to problem solve, classmates learn from each other and see that there is more than one way to find a solution.
Mary B.

Excellent ideas of how to stretch our students mathematical thinking past rote memorization and worksheets. It explains how rich math conversations help develop thinking beyond algorithms and encourages interaction between students to deepen their understanding. A must read for any math educator.
Missi Hayes
The accompanying DVD shows exactly how these number sense building activities look and sound. I have used these a classrooms and the kids thinking always surprises me. I have learned a lot about the students and their thinking through using Number Talks.
Tara Adams
Every elementary teacher should read this!

I was skeptical...very very skeptical.

I tried it...because I like a challenge and an experiment...and WHOA!
Kelly Miller
Must have for anyone who teaches math.
Joey Sagel
Wish math was taught this way to me. I might have liked it more! Great book for elementary schools looking to improve math instruction. I'm an education nerd, so I really enjoyed it! Took a little more time to dig into it than I anticipated, but well worth it. Not really the kind of education book t just one and start teaching from the next day, but the DVD lessons are really helpful.
Franki Sibberson
An incredible book that taught me a great deal about math conversations. I still have to watch the accompanying DVDs but this book taught me lots about being strategic and focused while being student-centered and inquiry-based in math computation. Lots to think about.
Karrie
This book should be every math teacher's bible! So many strategies are explained and touched on. Definitely a book I can see using as an ongoing resource in my classroom. Can't wait to do a bookstudy on it at school this upcoming month!
Erin Fowler
I love the way they teach mental math! I did this with my second graders last year and I'm looking forward to teaching this to my fourth grade students this year. The video's are great and I love how they sequence the strategies!
Beth
I am very excited to share this book with my colleagues. I am even more excited to implement in the classroom. Books that include clips of actual instruction in the classroom are wonderful.
Rochelle Eiseman
I hope the rest of the staff take the time to read this book before school starts. I can't wait to start using these ideas and implementing "number talks" into my daily math lessons!
Allison Emery
Great resource -- a must-have "read as you need" book for any elementary math teacher's bookshelf
Valerie
My mental math bible. Great resource for teachers.
Anne
Another book to transform math teaching!
Jane Yunus
Jane Yunus marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Kathy Sather
Kathy Sather marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Lara Dominy
Lara Dominy is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
Kim
Kim is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2014
Randy
Randy added it
Jul 14, 2014
Dorothy
Dorothy marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Lindsay Smith
Lindsay Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Audra Rowell
Audra Rowell marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Number Talks: Helping Children Build Mental Math and Computation Strategies, Grades K-5 Number Talks: Helping Children Build Mental Math and Computation Strategies, Grades K 5, Updated with Common Core Connections Number Talks: Helping Children Build Mental Math and Computation Strategies, Grades K-5 Pap/DVD Edition by Parrish, Sherry published by Math Solutions (2010) Paperback