Start by marking “Honest Illusions” as Want to Read:

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  9,687 ratings  ·  274 reviews
Separated by the dark shadows of the past, Roxy Nouvelle, the daughter of a famous magician and jewel thief, and Luke Callahan, a dashing escape artist, reunite to pull off a daring heist. 30,000 first printing. $25,000 ad/promo. BOMC Feat Alt.
Published July 17th 1992 by Putnam Adult (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Honest Illusions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honest Illusions

jenjn79
This is one of my all-time favorite books. Probably tied as my most favorite with Catherine Anderson's Phantom Waltz. There's just something about this story that completely captures me. I've read it like four or five times now and it never gets dull.

Honest Illusions is another of Roberts' "time progression" stories in that it moves through different periods of the characters' lives instead of only being set in the present. The book starts off in the now with a short prologue where the hero, Lu
Dina
Mar 07, 2009 Dina marked it as to-avoid  ·  review of another edition
From Book Lover @ Ami:
'The hero abandons the heroine without a word for a few years because he is being blackmailed and doesn't want her to be involved in the mess. Unbeknownst to him, while he is gone she is giving birth to and raising his child. When he comes back, he tells her that he was so miserable without her that he had to drown himself in alcohol and sex. And that "the alcohol helped kill the pain some, but the sex helped more." I thought that was so bizarre that he would tell her about
Rashika (is tired)
Things that were awesome
-Magicians
-Good relations in general (NO DYSFUNCTIONAL FAMILIES)
-Good relationship development (except for the transition.. uhh Luke became creepy)
-and my favorite, THIEVES.

Reasons why this book did not blow my mind
-Wayyy too long
-Cheesy ending
-Umm I don't understand the villain. Perhaps because he was a sociopath or perhaps his motives were absolutely ridiculous. DUDE! THIS HAPPENED YEARS AGO! Build a bridge. GET OVER IT. Plus what does it matter to you, aren't you a so
Diana
Honest Illusions is, quite simply, Nora Roberts at her best. And since romance novels don't get any better than Nora at the top of her game, that's saying something. When I first read this book as a novice romance reader in 1997, I was blown away. Oh, ding ding ding! So this is why my sister reads these books! Six years and a thousand plus romances later, I found myself just as enthralled the second time around. This one, oh baby, holds up.

Max Nouvelle is no everyday carnival side show magician.
Shy
Life is hard for the 12-year-old Luke Callahan. In his attempt to safe himself from the hell he calls home, he is force to be a runaway, live on the street, earning money through pick pocketing. His life takes an unexpected turn one day when he meets Max Nouvelle, a magician, who breathes life into his world: takes him in, loves him like his own son, teaches him to be his apprentice and eventually shares his hidden secret with him. With Max as his father, Lily as his loving mother and Roxy as a ...more
Cyndy Aleo
I'm sure that it's becoming apparent from my reviews that I am a Nora Roberts fan. English Lit degree to the contrary, I like light summer reading just as much as the next person; I just don't like feeling that I'm killing millions of brain cells while I read. Roberts bridges the gap nicely; writing romance novels with enough detail and research to keep the reader entertained as well as conscious. One of her finest books, in my opinion, is Honest Illusions, originally published in 1992.

::: Famil
Silvana
Jogo de Mãos é um livro que fala de magia, amor, conquista, amizade, confiança e que me conquistou logo nas primeiras palavras. É um livro mágico que nos transporta numa viagem até ao mundo do ilusionismo e da família Nouvelle. O livro tem um dinâmica muito boa uma vez que não torna a leitura aborrecida. A cada capítulo somos confrontados com diferentes acontecimentos e com personagens muito bem construídas. Os ingredientes que serviram de estrutura à toda a narrativa estão muito bem construídos ...more
Angelique Anderson
Dec 15, 2009 Angelique Anderson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who like a romance mixed in with their suspense
I can't describe the way this book made me feel, because somewhere between page 1 and 492 I lost myself. I became a wandering Nouvelle, making larger than life illusions, and falling in love with that good for nothing Callahan. I stole from the rich and gave to the poor; watched my closest friend become my worst enemy; made love on a cruise ship and then watched my lover walk out of my life, only to have the lying baster return five years too late to bring me crashing back to my knees.

I suppose
Carrie
3.5* A very enjoyable book, but not my favorite Nora Roberts. I think I'm prejudice because the protagonists are jewel thieves. Sounds silly, I know, but it bothered me throughout the whole book. Other than that, and a few standard plot devices (not bad, just well-used) I enjoyed the story and liked the main characters. The book was written in the early 1990's but doesn't suffer much from that.

It still amazes me how many very good books Nora Roberts has written. Her suspense books are my favori
Sonja Arlow
I have tried audio books a few times now and always have this persistent hope of capturing the joy I felt as a child listening to stories on the radio (yes I am that old) however I have realised that there are two main factors that always determines my enjoyment:

1) The storyline
2) The narrator

In this book both of these factors fell way off the mark and I could only stick it out to the halfway mark. I have outgrown Nora Roberts books a long time ago and should never have started this audio book b
comfort
I quite like this story. I know some people have issues with her taking him back when he leaves for apparently no reason. She doesn't actually take long to invite him back into her bed, but there was a fair bit of the story to tie up before it finished and this was towards the end.

I was upset about Max's fate and it is interesting to read a romance where all the characters don't have a HEA.

I liked the early stories when they were kids and watching them grow up and change over the years.

Luke SHOU
Monday
Jul 25, 2007 Monday rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Classic Nora fans and people who like thieves as heroes
This is perhaps my favorite stand alone Nora Roberts. I love the hero and heroine. I love the magic. I love the thievery as subplot. The villian is dispicable in all those good ways.
I find myself reading this book at least once a year when i'm looking to curl up and engulf myself in other people's lives that are far more exotic than my own.
Jane Stewart
I don’t like blackmail plots where the victim gives in and just pays and pays.

Two different blackmails were used to get characters to do things that did not fit their motivations. Not a good story for me.

(view spoiler)
Kelly José
This is the first Nora Roberts book that I've ever bothered to read, and I must say I'm glad I read it. I've read more original books in my young age, but I really enjoyed this book nevertheless.

When I first picked it up, I wasn't sure what it was about, but I decided to read it anyway, knowing that Nora Roberts is supposedly a very good author, and pretty upset for never giving a book of her's a chance sooner. I was surprised by the amount of romance in it, as I expected it to be mostly a magic
Maria
Sometimes I have a craving for something other than PNR. Then I often choose Nora Roberts. I really like to know that when you read a Nora Roberts book, nothing will surprise you, the romance is steady and the villain get´s what´s coming to him/her in the end. It´s safe and cosy like an fuzzy blanket in winter.
So Honest Illusions gave me what I craved. Nothing more, nothing less.

Since I have worked with a lot of magicians (not in the scale of the Nouvelles in the story, but still) rope-dancers a
Célia
Ganhei este livro num passatempo que a Saída de Emergência levou a cabo no fórum dedicado à autora e foi uma das minhas leituras de férias (já agora, aproveito para dizer que todos os novos lançamentos da autora têm direito a um passatempo, normalmente com a oferta de 3 exemplares).

Quem conhece os livros da Nora Roberts sabe que os seus livros não primam propriamente pela originalidade ou imprevisibilidade, mas ainda assim é uma leitura que prende e cativa o leitor do início ao fim. Este livro n
Crista
Whew!!! What a journey this book took me on! Capping out at almost 500 pages, this book is definitely a commitment, but one that is satisfying and unique.

The plot was new to me. The characters were magicians/thieves. I have never read a romance novel that centered around these "talents" and I was riveted page after page just as I am in real life where magic is concerned. It also contains "heist" plots. Max, Roxie, and Luke are accomplished and professional thieves, and I was reminded of one of m
Mónica Silva
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Este é um livro mágico que engloba um drama familiar no mundo do ilusionismo. A família Nouvelle é o foco desta estória. O patriarca, Max, é um homem astuto e determinado, cujo carácter impulsiona o resto da família. A seu lado encontra-se Lily, a sua companheira elegante e inteligente; a sua filha Roxanne e Luke, um rapaz acolhido pela família. Os valores familiares são a base desta estória e é notório o amor e o carinho emanados entre tod
Kym
I have read this boos so many times that the pages are starting to fall out. I call it my default book, when I can't think of anything else to read, I pick it up. It's about a family of magaicians who steal jewls, but there's no much more involved. The book is a romance because it was written by Nora Roberts, but there is such an interesting plot that thr romance of it all doesn't over power the book. The two "main" characters are Roxanne and Luke. The book is split into three parts and we watch ...more
Dangermousie
My first Nora Roberts, which I enjoyed, but I can't say I passionately loved, hence 3.5 stars.

The story revolves around Luke, an abused runaway, Max, a magician (and part-time jewel thief) who takes Luke under his wing, and Roxanne, Max's fiery daughter.

It was quite enjoyable and I liked the mains but I never went into obsession, largely because of two flaws: (1) they are thieves - I am sorry, that prevented me from really rooting for them. I am not into criminals and (2) the bad guy is a liter
Rachel C.
Dec 20, 2007 Rachel C. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance novel aficionados and neophytes - that means you, Elizabeth - alike
Shelves: pop-fic-romance
Contemporary romance by one of my favorite authors. Nora Roberts has drifted into general fiction now, but this book was written when she was still solidly a romance writer. She tells a great story in "Honest Illusions", which starts when the main characters meet in a traveling carnival as children. Extra points for the fact that Luke and Roxy grow up to have the coolest jobs ever - stage magician and jewel thief.

Nora Roberts is an *extremely* prolific writer so if you like this one, you'll have
Joana Marques
Já tinha este livro na estante há algum tempo. Empréstimo de uma amiga que se foi prolongando… e prolongando. Já tinha pegado nele, confesso, umas três vezes. Mas havia sempre algo que se metia no meio e não passava das primeiras páginas.

Desta vez foi de vez!

Não foi dos livros da Nora Roberts que mais me seduziu. Tem uma história fluída e interessante. As personagens são rebuscadas e intrigantes. A história de vida de Luke é impressionante e proporciona o lado negro da narrativa. Jogo de Mãos é
Duncan Mandel

Honest Illusions

The daughter of a world-renowned magician, Roxy Nouvelle has inherited her father’s talents—and his penchant for jewel thievery. Into this colorful world comes Luke Callahan, an escape artist who captures her heart—and keeps secrets that could shatter all her illusions…

From Publishers Weekly

Roberts ( Hot Ice ; Sacred Sins ) combines conventional elements--sizzling sex, a cunning villain, a captivating story, some tugs at the heartstrings--then adds a twist (the good guys are

Zwart Raafje
Luke’s leven maakt geen geweldige start. Zijn vader verdween al snel uit het zicht en de aggresiviteit van zijn moeders nieuwe vriend zorgt ervoor dat hij van huis wegloopt op jonge leeftijd. Hij tracht te overleven op straat door met zijn vingervlugheid onwetende voorbijgangers te beroven. Tot hij Max Nouvelle ontmoet, een begaafd illusionist die hem leert dat er ook andere manieren zijn om die vingervlugheid te hanteren.

Dat is echter lang niet het enige dat Max hem leert. Samen met zijn vrouw
Kat
This book is my guilty pleasure. I read it several times by now and I am still completely in love with the story, the characters and the atmosphere.
I love how everything develops quite slowly - you see how Luke and Roxanne meet for the first time as children and how their feelings towards each others change with the years.
It's by far Nora Roberts' best book and I highly recommend it.
L.C. Lavado
Desde que peguei neste livro não consegui deixar de o ler em todos os minutos que tinha livres.

Cativou-me desde as primeiras páginas, um ambiente mágico, personagens bastante reais e cativantes com uma personalidade que nos encanta como só Nora Roberts parece saber criar.

Recomendo vivamente a quem gostas de histórias de amor em ambiente familiar.

Foi um prazer ler este livro.
Genevieve Luana
Honest Illusions was the very first romance novel I ever read. I'm not normaly one to read anything remotely romantic because I find them way too cheesy.. BUT I was absolutely blown away by this book and it wasn't the intense love scenes that really drew me in (although they were pretty good, am I right? *wink*) But seriously though it was the AMAZING plot that made this book an absolute stand out for me. I read this book about 6 years ago and I still think about it from time to time.

The plot wa
Alice Harbin
A suspensful/romance of thieves who take in an abused runaway boy, Luke. At the beginning of the story they are carnival people who do magic. As the father ages, they only do jewelry heists. You can't help but like them, despite their immoral way to make a living.
Luke is blackmailed by someone from his past. To protect his new "family" he leaves the country. Five years later he returns only to find that the blackmailer still is threatening to turn his family in.
He agrees to help the blackmail
Urszula
This was an easy book to read. The main characters were very likable, and the story interesting. It was good to see Luke and Roxy grow up and over the years see how their relationship changes.

Not taking into consideration that Roxy's family were thiefs, they did represent a nice, healthy family unit, and Luke was very lucky to be taken in by them.

I found Sam's hatred a little far fatched, after all, he was with the family for very short period of time. Was that enough to develop so much hate for
Brandy Potter
I liked this book.

Luke Callahan returns to the only woman he has ever loved Roxanne Nouvelle after 5 years absence.

Flashbacks tell the story of how he came into their lives, a young 12 year old runaway fleeing horrific abuse. About the Nouvelle's magic show, and their other show. Jewel heists. When another young man Sam Wyatt enters their lives little do they know they have started a chain reaction to piaster.

Burglary, romance, revenge blackmail and of course murder. What's not to love.

Well to
Goodreads Feedback: Error encountered while combining books 5 47 Jul 19, 2014 03:28PM
  • Pure Healing (Pure Ones, #1)
  • Origin in Death (In Death, #21)
  • Shades of Twilight
  • Sharp Edges
  • Shadows at Sunset
  • The Devil's Masquerade: The Remedy (The Devil's Eyes, #5)
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her
More about Nora Roberts...

“In all the illusions, you're the only truth that I need” 35 likes
“People tell their children there are no monsters in the world. They tell them that because they believe it, or they want the child to feel safe. But there are monsters, Luke, all the more frightening because they look like people.” 19 likes