Start by marking “The Goon Show Scripts” as Want to Read:
The Goon Show Scripts

The Goon Show Scripts

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Radio scripts originally presented Oct. 1954-Jan. 1956 on BBC.
The Dreaded Batter Pudding Hurler of Bexhill-On-Sea
Foiled by President Fred
The Mighty Wurlitzer
The Hastings Flyer
The House of Teeth
Published (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Goon Show Scripts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goon Show Scripts

Jeffrey
This is essentially a collection of original Goon Show radio scripts embellished with some of the scribblings and doodlings of Milligan and the other stars (Peter Sellers and Harry Secombe). While these stand on their own merits, if one has also heard the relevant shows one can put the funny voices and nuances of delivery to the scripts as well, although Milligan did a good job of describing the sound effects (FX) that he wanted anyway.

Essential reading for any self-respecting Goon fan but may b
John Barclay
There is nothing like the mind of Spike Milligan. These scripts are wonderful surreal and hilarious.
Beth
This is a nice collection of Goon Show scripts, all episodes from 1954 to 1956. I especially liked the inclusion of newspaper and magazine articles from both the time of the show's original run and the broadcast of "The Last Goon Show of All" in 1972.

Of course, reading the scripts alone can never do the show justice. But this book makes a nice supplement to the radio show.
Huw Evans
This book is full of inspired lunacy, ludicrous puns and irreverend humour. It is as delightful to read as it was to listen to - I was too young to hear them when originally broadcast but fell in love with the vocal dexterity that complimented the humour of Spike Milligans writing. This went before Monty Python and has to be seen as the fount of surreal humour
Reggie Hitler
Milligan was possibly the english Dali, or else he was just a nut. Anyway he had a mind far superior to you that went ping ping ping all about the place like a crazy woman's diarrhoea. Throw Sellers and Secombe into that you have something incurable. Just as funny to read as listen to
Valerie
There are still some old tapes of these shows, and sometimes they're played on radio stations. Scripts don't really do it justice, but sometimes that's all we have.

Out of curiosity, why doesn't anybody remember Harry Secombe?
Tosh
Spike Milligan's scripts and Peter Seller's voices - it's too good! Beyond a chuckle, more of a scratch on the head and just amazed at their minds and how it works. They call it genius and it is!
John
Oh my goodness... how I remember, as a child, taking these old scripts with my friends and recording our own Goon Shows on an old tape-deck.... Priceless...
Alessandra
Classic British radio comedy of a peculiarly anarchic sort, the precursor to "Beyond the Fringe" and "Monty Python's Flying Circus."
Robert Kaufman
Some of my favorite old time radio shows. Still have the albums buried somewhere around the house. Features a young Peter Sellers.
Pete Aldin
For the fans.
David Stimpson
best comedy ever
Håkan König
Håkan König marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Pietro
Pietro marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Jonas Webb
Jonas Webb marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
  • Monty Python's Big Red Book
  • The Complete Fawlty Towers
  • The Original Hitchhiker Radio Scripts
  • Tragically I Was an Only Twin: The Complete Peter Cook
  • Primordial Soup: The Least Worst Scripts (Red Dwarf)
  • The Complete Yes Minister
  • The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin
  • Shoggoth's Old Peculiar
  • Sunset with a Beard
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin
Terence Alan Patrick Seán Milligan, known as Spike, was a comedian, writer and musician. He was of Irish descent, but spent most of his childhood in India and lived most of his later life in England, moving to Australia after retirement. He is famous for his work in The Goon Show, children's poetry and a series of comical autobiographical novels about his experiences serving in the British Army in ...more
More about Spike Milligan...
Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall (War Memoirs, #1) Puckoon 'Rommel?' 'Gunner Who?': A Confrontation in the Desert Mussolini: His Part In My Downfall  (War Memoirs, #4) Monty: His Part In My Victory (War Memoirs, #3)