Start by marking “World's Greatest Sleuth!” as Want to Read:
World's Greatest Sleuth!

World's Greatest Sleuth! (Holmes On the Range Mystery #5)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  353 ratings  ·  63 reviews
In 1893, the Amlingmeyer boys venture forth from the west in response to a summons from Otto's ("Big Red") publisher—they are to come to Chicago immediately, to the World's Columbian Exposition, and compete with some of the most famous detectives in the world. Set to coincide with the closing days of the first World's Fair and the publication of the story revealing the dea ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 19th 2011 by Tantor Media

To ask other readers questions about World's Greatest Sleuth!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World's Greatest Sleuth!

Johnny
I had studiously avoided the Holmes on the Range series in the past, but I’m glad I picked up The World’s Greatest Sleuth. As those who know me and my predilection for mysteries set in either historical or modern Chicago will surmise, I read this because the bulk of the “deductin’” takes place at the 1893 Columbian Exposition (aka Chicago World’s Fair, aka White City). The conceit of this series is that a cowboy sleuth and admirer of Sherlock Holmes has had and, in the course of the narration, i ...more
Eve
I've read probably 1000s of mystery novels in my time, to the point that very few of them break out of the formulaic pattern and rise to the front of my attention. The main characters tend to run together into my mind into one big blur, until I can't keep straight which main sleuth goes with what series. And, I sometimes even find myself reading an entire chapter of a series before realizing, hey, I've read THIS book before. Sometimes I actually have read the book, and sometimes the book is just ...more
Spuddie
Another excellent entry in this series featuring the Amlingmeyer brothers, Big Red (Otto) and Old Red (Gustav) as they are off to Chicago to the World's Fair of 1893 to participate in a contest to determine (you guessed it!) the World's Greatest Sleuth. This is not something they volunteered for--Otto's publisher enrolled them to get publicity for his series of books and Old Red, still recovering from an incident that left him blinded for weeks, is NOT happy.

Arriving at the last minute, they are
Tim Hicks
That was good fun, and I am pleased to hear that there are four more.
Good characters, decent plot, some pretty good red herrings.
A few slow parts, but nothing serious.

Nice touch at the end with (view spoiler) making an appearance.

This isn't Nobel-Prize-for-Literature stuff, and it doesn't claim to be.
To anyone who thinks it's too lowbrow I can only quote Old Red and say, "Feh."
Dave
Another installment in the chronicles of Otto and Gustav Amlingmeyer the Watson and Holmes of the American range. Set in Chicago at the Columbian Exposition, an ostensible competition among detectives aspiring to earn the title of "World's Greatest Sleuth" given the news of Sherlock Holmes' presumed death in his final problem.

This story follows the pattern/formula of the previous installments with the two brothers cast into a murderous plot in the mysterious White City of the World's Fair of 18
Kristen
What a rip-roaring, fun-filled, action-packed murder mystery! Sherlock Holmes was never as much fun as Old Red and Big Red when it comes to "deducifyin"!

The combination of the wild-West cowboy brothers - who are known as the "Holmes on the Range" - and who are fish-out-of-water in the setting of the 1893 White City of the Chicago World's Fair, with a cast of other colourful characters, all of whom start out participating in a publicity stunt scavenger hunt to solve clues and find hidden eggs, qu
Patrick Fleming
As in the previous four installments in this series, this episode (which provides a conclusion to the series) is witty and fun, cover to cover. I have thoroughly enjoy all of Steve Hockensmith's works that I have read, World's Great Sleuth! being no exception.

The Amlingmeyer brothers, Otto (Big Red) and Gustav (Old Red) have had their share of hard luck. In four previous novels, they have had to work very hard through some very bad luck in order to stay alive while attempting to solve a mystery.
Elizabeth A.
First introduced to readers in Holmes on the Range, brothers Gustav “Old Red” and Otto “Big Red” Amlingmeyer are cowboys turned detectives in late 1890’s America. World’s Greatest Sleuth! finds Sherlock Holmes disciple Gustav (“Some folks get religion. Gustav got Sherlock Holmes.”) and Watson-esque brother Otto summoned to Chicago to participate in a mystery solving competition at the 1893 Columbian Exposition (aka Chicago World’s Fair).

Upon arrival, the brothers find themselves up against famou
Marja McGraw
World's Greatest Sleuth by Steve Hockensmith was light and entertaining, and I really enjoy this series. Big Red Amlingmeyer is a huge Sherlock Holmes fan and wants to follow in his footsteps as a detective. Old Red Amlingmeyer, Big Red's brother, writes stories about their adventures and submits them to magazines for publication. They are quite a pair, and there's never a dull moment.

In this episode, in 1893 Big Red and Old Red travel to the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago to take part
Margo Brooks
A seriously goofy mystery. Otto and Gustave, the Holmes on the Range, are invited to the Columbian Exposition to compete in the World's Greatest Sleuth competition in honor of Sherlock Holmes's death. These two cowboys aren't good riddle solvers, but sure know how to hunt a clue down. You'll laugh as you read. I listened to the audiobook and it took a little while to get used to the ScoobyDoo-like narrator, but eventually, it fit the tongue and cheek narrative quite well.
Christian
If you've been rooting for the Amlingmeyer brothers for their last four adventures then you'll find "World's Greatest Sleuth" to be an exciting next step in their journey. The stakes are higher than ever, with Old Red's once-in-a-lifetime chance to prove himself as a detective.

The book has the same stylistic elements I liked with the others: short chapters concluding with an enticing moment or observation, and Big Red's humorous narration. There's just the right amount of seriousness, too, due
Phair
Only have sampled one or two previous Holmes on the Range books. This one was not a favorite. On audio it had too many characters & too frenetic a pace to follow easily, especially when listened to in broken sessions. I liked seeing the Chicago World's Fair but missed the Western setting where the boys are more at home.
Susan
Old Red Amlingmeyer and his brother and chronicler Big Red are invited to the Chicago World's Fair to participate in a contest to determine who's the greatest detective now that Sherlock Holmes appears to be dead. But a death interrupts the second day of the contest. Old Red is sure it's a murder, but neither the head of the Pinkerton agency, William Pinkerton, who is reluctantly running the contest, or the Chicago police want the reputation of the fair soiled by crime. There also seem to be a n ...more
Chris
It's 1893 and Otto and Gustav go to the big city of Chicago for a sleuthing competition. It's also the world's fair or exposition. Truly a unique setting. I almost wished there had been a map or diagram of the fair included-it was that interesting. The usual missteps occur and there is a reunion with some peers from previous tales. It's a familiar scenario. Everybody competing and then lo, a real murder occurs but could it be an accident? Not. And then the wrap-up leaves you wondering, how did I ...more
Harvey
I enjoy this series (I can't believe there are five already) featuring the "Cowboy Sherlock Holmes" Gus Amlingmeyer and his chronicler/sidekick "Cowboy Watson" Otto Amlingmeyer.

This one was a bit of a "fish out of water" tale with the brothers coming to Chicago (and specifically the 1893 Columbian Exposition) to take part in a "Detectivin" contest.

A death (murder?) takes place and the game is afoot.

I did enjoy this but found the Exposition (i.e. World's Fair) locations a bit claustrophobic and t
Cathrine Bonham
OH that was so good. Too good maybe. Please don't tell me that this is the last book in the series.

In this book the Amlingmeyer brothers travel to Chicago to compete in the "World's Greatest Sleuth" contest. It's the second day of the contest and the Amlingmeyer's are already loseing when they discover that someone else has lost far more. His life.

It's murder and mayhem at the World's fair. Can Old Red deduceify the murderer before he gets murdered himself? Is the ghost of Sherlock Holmes there
Mark Baker
Cowboys Old Red and Big Red are summoned to the World's Fair in Chicago to compete in a competition to discover who is the best detective in the world now that Sherlock Holmes has vanished. But the stakes are raised when someone involved in the competition turns up dead the second morning. Can Old Red figure out why the murder took place? I always enjoy spending time around these brothers in the 1890's, and this book was no exception. The story is strong as are the characters. Another fun read.

R
Angel
Interesting story but the wild accents of the narrator distracted me many times. I think I would have enjoyed reading this more than listening to it.

A group of amateur magazine detectives are invited to the World's Fair in Chicago to engage in a contest to determine the "World's Greatest Sleuth". Sherlock Holmes is thought my many to be dead as Dr. Watson is about to publish a story where Holmes apparently falls to his death at Reichenbach Falls.

However, the puzzlemaster of the contest is found
Ann
In 1893 the Amlingmeyer brothers, Gustav "Old Red" and Otto "Big Red", travel to the Chicago Exposition in order to participate in a detecting contest, lead by internationally renowned detective William Pinkerton to determine who the world's greatest sleuth.

The contest turns weird when someone shoves the contest organizer, Armstrong Curtis, into a vat of cheese.

This book moves right along in a quirky, disjointed manner. The brothers are very funny and homey and the other characters are diverse
Kris
I still think the first book in this series was the best one. That being said, this was pretty good. Hockensmith’s confidence is definitely beginning to show. He has begun playing around with adding more and more humor to these novels. Big Red Amblingmeyer is the perfect foil as sidekick and "author" of this series. This novel takes place at the Chicago’s worlds fair in 1893 and boy did the author do his homework. Our intrepid detectives discover juicy fruit gum, ferris wheels and hula dancers a ...more
Lynn Lerch
Old Red idolizes Sherlock Holmes. The only trouble is he can't read so his brother Big Red has to read the stories to him. They have become detectives and have now been invited to the Worlds Fair in Chicago. They travel there and are confronted by several people they know from the past...Pinkerton of the Pinkerton Detective Agency, the Crowes, etc. A body ends up in a vat of Cheddar. The brothers solve the mystery. The description of the White City and the Fair are very accurate accounts of the ...more
Colleen
not as fresh as the first-perhaps, but still an enjoyable addition to the series, especially for the glimpses it gives of the Famous "white city"
Bam
I was tempted to read this mystery when I saw it was set in the White City in 1893, having just read The Devil in the White City by Larson. I kept a photographic record of the Chicago World's Fair handy and enjoyed seeing photos of the places depicted in the story.

This was a comical mystery about 2 cowboys who want to follow in the footsteps of Sherlock Holmes and do some 'detectivin'. I'd read more of this series as a refreshing change of pace.
Paige
I'm of very mixed feelings of this book. I like the characters, but I appear to have accidentally picked up a series in the middle so without the backstory, they seemed to lack depth. The writing's good for a lot of amusement, but the plot was extraordinarily gimmicky. If I'm honest, this feels like the book in a series where I stop being a follower of a series. I should probably track down the first one at some point.
Amy
The fifth book of the Holmes on the Ranges series and first that I've read, I found this a fun romp into western mystery with the Chicago World Exhibition as the backdrop. I think the fact it wasn't in the West was why I kept reading it (I do not read Westerns but I might give it a try after this), but I was pleasantly surprised by the boyish goofiness of it all. Full of cliches and proud of it, it really is a fun read.
Best of the Holmes on the Range series since "On the Wrong Track". This time the detectives head to Chicago for the Colombian Exposition (the White City) and to enter the contest for the World's Greatest Sleuth. Of course there is a murder, and lots of hilarious situations for the brothers to stumble into. I liked the history as well as the clues to the contest and the murder mystery itself.
Ellen
I picked up this book in hopes of finding a new Chicago-based murder story like Devil in the White City but sadly it didn't match up. The protagonists created an interesting mystery but it lacks some of the great twists found in novels of the same genre. Definitely worth the read but unfortunately I started it with high expectations following Larson's masterpiece.
Rich Carruth
The latest of a fun murder mystery series. I often find myself laughing out loud when reading Steve Hockensmith's books.
Tracey Berry
I feel that Hockensmith does an excellent job of mixing humor and a great mystery together. I love the Amlingmeyer brothers. In this one they are out of their element and in the big city of Chicago; at the Worlds Fair. How can you go wrong with clues like, a squirrel in a tux and stinky shoes. I can't wait to read the next in the series.
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • The Many Watsons
  • The Baker Street Translation
  • The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)
  • A Study In Lavender: Queering Sherlock Holmes
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)
  • Sherlock's Home: The Empty House
  • The Ionia Sanction (The Athenian Mysteries, #2)
  • The Canary Trainer: From the Memoirs of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Murder in the Museum (Fethering, #4)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon
  • Kissing Sherlock Holmes
  • The Man Who Created Sherlock Holmes: The Life and Times of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • The Affair of the Porcelain Dog (The Porcelain Dog #1)
  • The Execution of Sherlock Holmes: And Other New Adventures of the Great Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Angel of the Opera: Sherlock Holmes Meets the Phantom of the Opera
  • Sherlock Holmes and Young Winston: The Jubilee Plot
Steve Hockensmith is the author of the New York Times bestseller Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls and several other novels, including the Edgar Award finalist Holmes on the Range. He lives in Alameda, California.
More about Steve Hockensmith...
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dreadfully Ever After Holmes on the Range On the Wrong Track The Black Dove