Start by marking “Gregory's Shadow” as Want to Read:

Gregory's Shadow

Just before Groundhog's Day, Gregory Groundhog becomes separated from his faithful shadow. The two spend a hard day looking for each other -- and learning about the meaning of friendship -- before becoming reunited just in time for their much-anticipated annual appearance.
Published December 28th 2000 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Gregory's Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gregory's Shadow

Luann
Jan 29, 2010 Luann rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2010
Gregory is a shy groundhog, but having a friend like Shadow who goes with him everywhere gives him confidence. On the day before Groundhog Day, Gregory gets scared by a mysterious shadow waving its arms. In his rush to get back home, Gregory accidently leaves Shadow behind. Shadow has to fend for himself out in the cold and snowy day while waiting for Gregory to come find him.

I thought the idea of a groundhog's shadow that gets left behind was a little cheesy - even though it did work for Peter
Kathryn
Feb 06, 2012 Kathryn rated it liked it
3.5 STARS There are so few picture books out there on Groundhog Day and, even though this isn't really a remarkable story otherwise, I would recommend this if you're looking for a Groundhog Day picture book. It's nowhere near the genius of Freeman's Corduroy, but this book was also published posthumously so perhaps he hadn't the time to perfect it. In any case, it's a fun little story with a bit of adventure and a nice theme of friendship.
Lesley
Read this to my daughter when she was younger and just read for the heck of it today! Brought back fond memories of shadow! I think this is a fun preschool level book!
Kevin Huot
Sep 11, 2016 Kevin Huot rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book is about a groundhog who loses his shadow and must find it again. I enjoyed this book because of the strong bond between Gregory and his friend. I would use this book to show that even though you might get separated from a friend, you can always find them again.
Eva Leger
Feb 05, 2011 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
We just happened to read this the day after Groundhog Day and since Julia's a little older now (5) I explained what that day is. I don't think either of us realized that this fit with the time of year when we grabbed it to read. We actually grabbed it because we're trying to read all of the books she owns before getting more out from the library. (Not working just yet but I still have hope.)
This is a cute little story about Gregory the Groundhog who is so shy that he's friends with Shadow, his
Elevetha
Oddly enough, I don't remember this ever being read to me as a child, though Mum is vehement that she did. She probably did, but still. One thing that is a pity about reading a children's book for the first time, once you're past a certain age, is that you so often find it illogical, unless it's set in a strictly fairytale-esque setting. For example, how did Gregory see his shadow in the completely dark barn? Well, it glows, so that solves one problem. However, that leads as to how his shadow gl ...more
Heidi-Marie
Adorable pictures. Of course. It's Don Freeman! (Of Corduroy fame.) The story is all right. Had moments where it didn't work for me. Otherwise it's fine. A different groundhog story than I'm used to. I'm trying to figure out how the kids will like it and how much they'll understand. Not sure, but worth having on display at least.

2/5/14: The twist of the shadow being the one left behind kept this from being too similar to the other shadow books, but I think some kids got confused as to who/what t
Ina
Feb 06, 2012 Ina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
Gregory the groundhog is a charming character, who always feels braver and happier when his best friend shadow is with him. The night before Groundhog day, when all the farmers wait for his prediction about the arrival of spring weather, disaster strikes when Gregory and Shadow get separated.
Both experience great anxiety while they are separated, but they are reunited in time for the big day...and they vow never to be separated again. The kids related to feeling braver with a best friend and the
Margaret Chind
Dec 30, 2015 Margaret Chind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press Kindergarten
This is cute. I already know that I love Don Freeman from all the Corduroy stories. This one is a neat way to introduce the topic of Groundhog's day and to talk about the change from Winter to Spring and what that means for people like farmers. It is also a good way to through in conversation about being brave. I'm sure I can think of lots of fun activities to go along with this one. It's cute, and I might be it for the right price, but otherwise our library has a nice library bound copy to ...more
Elaine
Feb 04, 2015 Elaine rated it really liked it
Gregory's Shadow by Don Freeman tells of Gregory, the groundhog and his close relationship with his shadow. During a scared moment, Gregory runs away and loses Shadow. The story continues with a search adventure to find each other and their Groundhog Day experience. The kids, during preschool storytime were intrigued with the shadow concept and brought about curiosity with the whole concept of Groundhog Day.
Ami
Mar 20, 2010 Ami rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, winter
This was supposed to be a Groundhog's Day/Imbolc read, but we got there a little late this year. I plan to do a better inventory of Imbolc books next year; this one didn't quite make the grade for me, although it was an interesting take on one groundhog's relationship with his shadow. (Gregory isn't scared of Shadow--they're best friends!)
Katie Brown
This is a cute story for Groundhog's Day. It is about a shy groundhog whose shadow is his friend and makes him feel brave. He gets scared one day and Gregory takes off and loses his shadow. They both search for each other. Gregory overcomes his fears to find his friend and they are eventually reunited. This is a great book to teach bravery and courage.
Dolly
Nov 10, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2010
This is a fun story about Groundhog Day - will the Groundhog see his shadow? Gregory is so excited that he can't wait to go outside, but then he loses his shadow. Our girls enjoyed listening to this story read on audiocassette.
Theresa
Feb 05, 2015 Theresa rated it liked it
Freeman, Don
Gregory has more courage because of his friend shadow, he goes out before Ground hogs day and finds that he has to have more courage then he beleives he has to find his friend shadow again.
Bree
Oct 29, 2012 Bree rated it it was ok
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
hate preschool books that add ghosts
illustrations are really cute but the ghost bit is disappointing
Christine
Jan 28, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing
This book is a perfect story for teaching Kindergarten students about Groundhog Day. Maybe 1st grade, but not older students.
Jen
Dec 20, 2010 Jen rated it liked it
Ever want a cute story to tell your kids what Groundhogs Day is, told from the groundhog's perspective, then this could be the book for you.
Samantha
Aug 16, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
Nice little Groundhog's Day book. Pretty pictures, nice story...makes me think its a good idea to keep an eye on my Shadow. =)
Relyn
Feb 02, 2014 Relyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: Corduroy
Shelves: lawsonland
Another wonderful book from the author of Corduroy. I have no idea why more people haven't heard of this wonderful book.
Emerson and Theodore
May 05, 2016 Emerson and Theodore rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Sure it made me late for work, but "Gregory's Shadow" was a great part of our morning reading session this morning--books and breakfast. Very cute story, wonderful Don Freeman drawings.
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2013
Jodi
Jodi rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2015
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2013
Lorie
Lorie rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2008
Laura Harrison
Laura Harrison rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Ava Sanabria
Ava Sanabria rated it liked it
May 19, 2013
Lynne Dorner
Lynne Dorner rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2015
Tara
Tara rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2011
  • The Day It Rained Hearts
  • Raindrop, Plop!
  • The Mitten
  • Follow the Dream: The Story of Christopher Columbus
  • A World to Explore (Library Mouse #3)
  • Sergio Makes a Splash
  • It's a Secret!
  • Over in the Hollow
  • They Were Strong and Good
20730
Don Freeman was a painter, printmaker, cartoonist, children's book author, and illustrator. He was born in San Diego, California, attended high school in Missouri, and later moved to New York City where he studied etching with John Sloan.
Frequent subjects included Broadway theatre, politics, and the circus. He was also a jazz musician, and the brother of circus entrepreneur Randy Freeman.

More about Don Freeman...