Start by marking “The Devil's Sword” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Sword

The Devil's Sword

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  157 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A fencing tournament turns deadly! Can three young fencers thwart a plan to bring America to its knees?Kevin, Rachel, and Ben are young fencers eager to compete in an upcoming tournament at Nellis Air Force Base. But when they arrive, they become unwilling pawns in a twisted plan to steal the ultimate weapon. A plan that somehow revolves around the tournament. Now, battlin ...more
Published November 3rd 2010 by Paragon Press

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Sword

Jill
Dec 07, 2010 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I enjoyed the excerpt that was printed in the "American Fencing" magazine. As a fencer, I am curious how he will weave the fencing in with the plot, especially since fencing is a fairly fringe sport in the USA. Many of the teens I fence with are also avid (might I say, "rabid") readers, so it will be great for them to see their other passion recognized in print.

**UPDATE**

I finished the book in a quick weekend, and one where I had a fencing tournament! It was a very fast paced read, with plenty o
Mark Gunnell
I've enjoyed Richards's other adult fiction books and thought I'd give this one a try. It is clearly written for a younger audience, but still entertaining enough to hold my attention throughout. Unlike other books geared toward youth readers which have multiple layers that appeal to adults and youths alike, this book seemed so one-dimensional in its intended audience...I'm not saying that's a bad thing, Richards wrote to his target audience, and nailed it.
Mary
Nov 26, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won The Devil's Sword from First Reads. I appreciate it's very quick arrival. It took about two days to get here. I thank the author for being so prompt. I plan to read this then give it to my nephew who is an avid fencer and reader. I'll post a review after he has a chance to read it. I want to include his rating. I will say that from the little I've read so far Devil's Sword gets right into the action. I'll add more later.

The three is my rating, it may improve after I add input from my neph
Anna
May 25, 2011 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alex-shelf
Book Review: The Devil’s Sword by Alex

The Devil’s Sword by Douglas E. Richards is easily on my top 5 book list! It is about a 14 year-old named Kevin Taylor who takes fencing. When he goes to his first national tournament at Nellis Air Force Base, he and his friends are kidnapped by two mercenaries, Diego and Klaus, who plan to steal the U.S.’s most recent and most dangerous weapon: The Devil’s Sword. Will they survive? You’ll have to read to find out. As far as stars go, this book needs more t
Sean Randall
Aug 14, 2016 Sean Randall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Richards' adult content is great, and his younger stuff is on the same sort of track. Obviously it's not got the depth or detail of a larger work, but it's an action-packed story with impressive detail. If perhaps almost too virtuous at times, it nonetheless kept me reading and I'm nearly 30!
Roger D. Lee
Jan 06, 2015 Roger D. Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story for any aged reader. The adventure is fast paced and fun.

The magic is in the details. Things are never as they seem but that is what keeps you turning the pages. The heroes come in all sizes in an adventure to save the country while building relationships. Enjoy.
Karen Servold
Jan 31, 2016 Karen Servold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Richards does it again!

Non stop action and a thrilling story with the good guys saving the day. Douglas E Richards packs a lot of talent into his books.
Dave
Jan 15, 2016 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling story, interesting characters. A fourteen year old geek discovers fencing. Then with his friends and family save the U.S. from a terrorist attack.
Dennis
Apr 12, 2015 Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a short book targeted more at teens than adults but still a fun read. I've read other books by Douglas Richards and have enjoyed each one. Good book.
Angela
Dec 31, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it. Kevin is so cute. Please continue writing Mr Richards. I absolutely enjoyed your stories
Robert Lewter
Aug 09, 2014 Robert Lewter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good show.
Austin
Jul 30, 2012 Austin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Primarily a YA story, it's about a group of kids who thwart some terrorists trying to seize a US super-weapon. An interesting twist here is how the world of fencing is incorporated into the story - it's not used to thwart the terrorists directly.
Anneliese
Jan 03, 2011 Anneliese marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait to read this book. As a fencer, I'm anticipating seeing how they will incorporate fencing in the plot. Many of my teammates also enjoy reading, I'm sure I will show them this book if I enjoy it.
Armin
Apr 07, 2013 Armin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: armin, kindle
entertaining, nice insight into fencing and for a change not too brutal military book, but still full of suspense.

shinfu
Jan 06, 2011 shinfu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have just won this book from First Reads. I look forward to reading it. Thanks.
Daniel Eidem
Daniel Eidem rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Marc Jolly
Marc Jolly marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Robin L Escuadro
Robin L Escuadro rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Balaji C
Balaji C rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
WeekEnder
WeekEnder marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Donna
Donna is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2016
Johann Thomas
Johann Thomas rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
julie malott
julie malott rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Ruby Stock
Ruby Stock rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Jane Kleiner
Jane Kleiner rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
John M. Thompson
John M. Thompson rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Judy  Beaumont
Judy Beaumont rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Keith Parsons
Keith Parsons rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
adam j schlaff
adam j schlaff rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Lost in Lexicon: An Adventure in Words and Numbers
  • The Ghost on the Stairs (Haunted, #1)
  • The Tanglewood Terror
  • The Animal
  • Negative Image (Constable Molly Smith #4)
  • The Amazing Adventures of John Smith, Jr. AKA Houdini
  • Search for the Lost Kingdom (Eldohr Adventures, #1)
  • The Officers' Club
  • Haunting Miss Trentwood
  • The Corruptible (Ray Quinn #2)
  • Pilgrim of the Sky
  • The Missing Quilter: Miranda Hathaway Adventure #2
  • Take Me Home
  • Trapped Nerves
  • Dog Walker
  • Candy Wars: The Tooth Fairies vs The Candy King
  • The Chronological Man: The Martian Emperor
Douglas E. Richards was born on May 7th, 1962. He grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio with his parents and his sister, Pam. He went to Finneytown High School, and then graduated with a degree in microbiology from Ohio State University, a master's degree in molecular biology from the University of Wisconsin, and a master's degree in business administration from the University of Chicago.

Douglas now lives
More about Douglas E. Richards...