Half Moon Street: Two Short Novels

Half Moon Street: Two Short Novels

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The two remarkable novellas that comprise Paul Theroux's latest best seller explore the mystery and menace of double lives. From the seamy netherworlds of London to the suburbs of Boston, Theroux weaves a chilling drama around sex, power, and the sinister allure of the forbidden.
Doctor Slaughter and Doctor DeMarr.
Published September 1st 1984 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH) (first published 1984)

Clifford
How very odd. The book is two novellas, "Dr. Slaughter" and "Dr. DeMarr," one set in London and the other on Cape Cod and Boston. I preferred "Dr. Slaughter" but that might have been a function of the narration (I listed to them in the car). Both worth the time, though. I'm not a big fan of the author's non-fiction travel narratives, which strike me as terribly arrogant, but I've always liked his fiction.
Anne Sanow
The second story's a bust, but "Dr. Slaughter" is twisted in all the right ways. You'll want to take a shower after reading it. Made into a strangely inert movie version starring Sigourney Weaver.
Janet
Read this long ago, but it has stayed with me like a really good meal eaten outdoors in a foreign city, by water, lanterns swaying, and flirting with a near stranger. Sexy, exotic, intriguing. Greenian, but lacks the bottom note of Greene. Oh well. A great read.
Graham
I had fun taking this used hardcover down to Barton Springs Pool, allowing the woolen studiousness of Theroux's face to stare out from the back of the jacket at passers by. It almost seems like he read the vegan treatise "Skinny Bitch" before conceiving Dr. Lauren, but this is impossible as that book came out 20 years later. Slaughter, an unscrupulous but thoughtful vegetarian hottie who is seemingly free of illusions. The strength of the book is more in the dialog, the exposition. The plot just...more
Matthew Metzdorf
Although known for his travel writing, Paul Theroux showcases his talent in these two short works. Both are great, but the second, Doctor De Marr is a real demonstration of a great short fiction. It is detailed, compact, holds the reader's attention through its complexity and intrigue, and has a strong, well-worked ending that ties the story up with a clever, satisfying final punch.
Христо Блажев
Улица “Полумесец”: http://knigolandia.info/book-review/u...

Две повести са събрани в книгата, и двете изследват въпроса за самоличността и идентичността, но тематиката е добре разтворена в криминално-трилърни сюжети. В първата, на която е именувана и книгата, млада, образована и интегентна красавица решава да приключи с мизерния и неудовлетворяващ живот и да стане скъпоплатена компаньонка. Качествата й бързо я издигат в новото поприще, но човек не може да си играе вечно с огъня, без да се опари.

"...more
Irene McHugh
After seeing the movie Half Moon Street with Sigourney Weaver, I really wanted to read the novella. This book actually contains two stories with similar themes about the consequences of living a double life. I read both years ago, so the plot details escape me. What I do remember is that they were both engaging dark stories. Part of the appeal of this set was that I could read them quickly at a time when my life had little free time for reading. When I was in high school with a required reading...more
Henry Sturcke
Skilful writing, but I'm at a loss to think of another writer who shows greater antipathy toward his protagonists.
Madhu R
Half Moon Street was very good, but the second short novella, Doctor De Mar was amazing. Exciting, funny, mysterious, and deep.
Ariadna73
No sé bien por qué no permitían sacar este libro de la biblioteca; y por eso tuve que leerlo allí "in situ", como dicen, pero valió la pena, porque la historia te atrapa desde la primera página y no te suelta hasta algunas páginas antes del final (un poco forzado, pero bien) cuando lees las pocas páginas que quedan como un agradecimiento a este autor por sus esfuerzos en entretenerte.
Moira Harrington
First fictional work by him that I've read. I was intrigued and pleased enough by his writing to try some other novels. These were tightly drawn thriller-type work, which I generally don't appreciate so the fact that I liked them -- the Dr. Slaughter story better and the Dr. Demere one -- is a plus.
Lindsay
Paul Theroux is one of my favorite authors, but this book was confusing. I hadn't realized it was two short stories and when it crossed over in the middle I couldn't figure out what was going on or what happened to the heroine.
Mary-Ellen
Read this book to try and figure out why Sigorney Weaver would want to play the role of the main character. The novella was better than the play, but I still do not understand why Weaver took the part.
Ruta Sevo
Fun reading, fascinating worldly characters, very colorful and you get a good sense of secret lives in London and other places abroad. These are two shorter pieces published together.
Gerald
Two novellas, one set in London, the other in Boston. Teasing mind games for short-attention-span reads.

Gerald.
Boychik Lit
Leonard Pierce
I bought this because of the movie where Sigourney Weaver played a crazy hooker. Probably not the best introduction to Theroux.
Ainsley
Good Paul Theroux. I like the combination of two stories about double lives
Jo Anne
Well written but depressing. Couldn't find a character I could like.
Anandraj
Was ok. Easy english. Not too thrilling though.
Aaron
Tom
Tom added it
Jun 17, 2014
Kokil
Kokil marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Paul Edward Theroux is an American travel writer and novelist, whose best known work is The Great Railway Bazaar (1975), a travelogue about a trip he made by train from Great Britain through Western and Eastern Europe, the Middle East, through South Asia, then South-East Asia, up through East Asia, as far east as Japan, and then back across Russia to his point of origin. Although perhaps best know...more
More about Paul Theroux...
The Great Railway Bazaar Dark Star Safari: Overland from Cairo to Cape Town The Mosquito Coast Riding the Iron Rooster The Old Patagonian Express: By Train Through the Americas