Start by marking “Stagioni diverse” as Want to Read:
Stagioni diverse

Stagioni diverse

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  112,182 ratings  ·  2,471 reviews
Un "quartetto" di racconti in bilico tra l'orrore e l'avventura, l'incubo e la fantasia.
Il riscatto di un uomo condannato ingiustamente per omicidio.
Il morboso rapporto tra un adolescente e un ex nazista.
Quattro ragazzini alla ricerca del cadavere di un coetaneo.
Una donna che partorisce in circostanze surreali.
Quattro storie da brivido, agghiaccianti e paradossali, ch
Paperback, Superbestseller, # 44, 587 pages
Published 2006 by Sperling Paperback (first published August 29th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Stagioni diverse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stagioni diverse

Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
I'm going to try and do this book justice..but I know it's not going to happen so do me a favor, if you have never picked this book up just stop what you are doing and run get it.

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption:
This is perfection. At 101 pages Stephen King packed a story that stays with me forever. I've been a fan of the movie version since the first time I viewed it. I was so pissed when Forrest Gump beat it out as the Oscar winner for best picture that year. I raged..I've since calm
Algernon

I’m not exactly a fan of Stephen King. I could say he is a victim of his own popularity: I’ve seen so many of the movie adaptations from his novels, I don’t feel the need to check out the book versions. And the first book of his that I’ve read almost 30 years ago is The Stand , which started with great storytelling and compelling characters and devolved later into self-indulgent filler and confusion. So, it’s been too long since I put him on the backburner, mislabelling him as a commercial hack
Maciek
This collection is one of King's finest efforts. While the author has his ups and downs, and the reception of his novels and short stories varies, the readers have suprisingly little criticism for his collection of novellas. It seems to be the field where he is at his best; it's the cozy inbetween the novel and the short story, a place where a tale can be developed without faltering into overbloated, verbose work, maintain a mood and keep the theme that would be otherwise impossible in short fic ...more
Sarah ( Paris )

"Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." Andy Dufresne

"تذكر يا ريد، الأمل شيء جيد، بل ربما كان أعظم الأشياء، والأشياء الجيدة لا تموت."
Andy Dufresne ...

ـــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ

The Shawshank Redemption

في اعتقادي لايوجد أحد لا يعرف هذا الفيلم ..
وهنا الرواية.. والتي كتبها ستيفن كينج رغمَ مشاهدتي للفيلم منذ عدة سنوات ها أنا اليوم أقرأ الرواية .

طبعا الرواية جميلة يرويها زميل أندي في السجن من وجهة نظره لذا لا ت
Jason
For the sake of argument, let’s just say that when I was younger I used to think Stephen King was the bomb, and that now I’m 34 and have found that the last few of his books, interestingly enough, have bombed. This would naturally have the effect of forcing me—again, we’re only speaking in hypotheticals here—to reconsider my stance of thinking him a great storyteller. I have grown up, I have matured, I have now had the means to compare Stephen King to other authors that I hadn’t read when I was ...more
Ruth Turner

5 stars for the stories, all of them, and 5 stars for the audio.

Audiobook – Narrated by Frank Muller – Excellent narration.

The only problem I seem to have when I listen to Frank Muller is that my breathing seems to sync with his, and he has a far larger lung capacity than I do. At times, by the time he pauses for breath, I can feel myself turning blue!

Nevertheless, Frank Muller is one of my all time favorite narrators. He’s done a few of Stephen King’s books and I’ve loved all of them.

Although
Paul Nelson
Different Seasons is what the word anthology was created for, ok slight exaggeration but you get the idea. This is four absolutely top of the literary tree, superb short stories, three of which have been made into films and I really enjoyed them all.

First up we have Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, everybody’s seen the film, it’s the story of 30 year old Andy Dufresne, who gets a life sentence in Shawshank for the murder of his cheating wife and her lover. The story is told through th
seak
Jul 05, 2013 seak marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
This is a book of four novellas, three of which were turned into movies, and two of those three nominated for multiple Oscars. Incidentally, they're also the three novellas in this collection that aren't even King's typical fare, horror.

I haven't read a whole lot of King, but what I have I've loved. This set of books is supposed to be some of King's best writing and even with my limited experience, I can tell he's in top form.

I've been on a King kick lately and couldn't resist reading the inspi
Edward Lorn
It all starts withRita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, wherein the Mangler is mentioned in passing.

Then you move on to Apt Pupil, wherein a banker who went up the river for killing his wife is mentioned by Dussander.

When you round the corner intoThe Body, you're gifted with four boys wondering if they're going to end up in Shawshank because they trespassed at the local junkyard.

Until finally coming acrossThe Breathing Method, a story that does not mention Shawshank, but the "club" herein
Glenn Sumi
I like waiting a few days before reviewing a book, just to see how it’s taken up residence in my mind and imagination. Some books stay with me clearly even months later; others start to fade as soon as I turn the final page (if not before).

Stephen King’s Different Seasons is a fascinating case, because I got to see how one story haunted me while I went on to the next.

Published in 1982, it was King's first book of non-genre fiction. He made his name writing horror (Carrie, ‘Salem’s Lot, The Shini
Joe Valdez
Best book by Stephen King? That's a question I might answer differently from month to month, but for today, I've got Different Seasons. Published in 1982, the book consists of four novellas (each in the 25,000-35,000 word range), any of which might be considered one of King's better novels if expanded and published separately. You might have heard of a couple of these:

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Hope Springs Eternal) chronicles the internment of Andy Dufrense, a banker sentenced
Beau
Jan 24, 2008 Beau rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: practically anyone
Recommended to Beau by: Adam
I first read this book when I was at a lousy college in Oregon. A friend of mine was into Stephen King, and I'd just discovered that I liked him, and I plowed through all of this guy's King books in a semester, including The Stand.

This book has stuck with me the most, and it is the one I keep returning too. While the fourth "Season" The Breathing Method, never did anything for me, the other three stories in it, Apt Pupil, The Body (Stand By Me), and Shawshank, are astounding. This is King befor
Anthony Chavez
The four stories in "Different Seasons" are "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption", "Apt Pupil", "The Body", and "The Breathing Method".

Most readers can relate to Shawshank and The Body, which have been made into big hit movies, and somewhat with Apt Pupil which was also made into a movie, although it is not as well known. (For those unaware, The Body was titled "Stand By Me") Oddly enough, it was the fourth and final story of the collection that had the biggest impact on me, The Beathing Meth
Kathryn
Different Seasons proves King is much more than just horror.

A few weeks ago, Different Seasons was sitting on my bookshelf calling my name. For some reason, it felt right to read it now as Autumn, my favorite season, drops in and takes over for summer. Three of the four novellas in this collection are quite famous, and I knew a bit about each, except for the fourth story. However, this is a case where, reading the story was so much more.

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption was not what I
Rob
Executive Summary: I generally don't like short stories or novellas. However this collection has 3 stories that were converted into movies I enjoyed, especially Shawshank.

I'm a big fan of Stephen King, though I've read very little of his horror novels. He's often relegated to a horror writer, but this collection shows what I feel is his real strength: writing great characters.

There is very little horror to speak of here, save for some of the awful things humans do to one another, though little
Paul Nelson

José
Reseña en español de Las cuatro estaciones: Click acá
Mis otras reseñas de Stephen King

Different Seasons is a collection of four stories by Stephen King and in my opinion, it's his best collection of novellas to date. Three of these stories have cinematic adaptations so many people may already know them.

The four novellas are very different from each other and explore different subjects: in Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank redemption the main theme is hope, in Apt Pupil the corruption of a young bo
Szplug
Ridiculous man in a pair of ridiculous sneakers. Such a ridiculous man hardly deserved to live. Todd touched the barrel of the .30-.30.

I haven't read any of these novellas for ages, and so have no idea how they would fare were I to wander their distantly familiar and nostalgically comfortable fictive roads at the present time. I suspect that they would do just fine, though I have to admit that I've no taste or desire for any of King's newer stuff and have found that some of his stories I've revi
Edward Lorn
Apr 08, 2015 Edward Lorn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Edward by: Mom
It all starts with Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, wherein the Mangler is mentioned in passing.

When you round the corner into The Body, you're gifted with four boys wondering if they're going to end up in Shawshank because they trespassed at the local junkyard.

Until finally coming across The Breathing Method, a story that does not mention Shawshank, but the "club" he
Debbie Zapata
This is a collection of four novellas. I bought it purely for the first one, Rita Hayworth And The Shawshank Redemption. I had seen the movie The Shawshank Redemption quite a few times and was always amazed to see 'From a story by Stephen King' at the end. For some reason I did not associate this type of story with King. I did not have much luck finding it in print until last year, but now I have finally been able to compare the two.

Andy Dufresne is sent to prison for killing his wife and her lo
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
I had read the first two novellas, but then had to return the library book. I got to recheck it out and finish the other two stories. These are excellent!! Almost like the movies made from them, but as always I feel the book was much better. :)
Ashley
May 04, 2008 Ashley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mature teens and adults
Recommended to Ashley by: my grandma
Shelves: by-stephen-king
In the Shawshank Redemption, several different stories are combined together to produce a novel, which is basically a different season for each story.

Hope Springs Eternal- The first story, Rita Hayworth, is about a man by the name of Andy who is Shawshank Redemption, a prison, on a false charge of murder. But in the end, his brain outsmarts the warden and guards. What he does his stunning... but I cant say what it it... you will just have to find out.

Summer of Corruption- The second story, Apt
Miloš
Fantastic!
Tales (not stories :-)) are quite remarkable. Every one of them on their strange way.
I watched Shawshank Redemption movie and I enjoyed, but the story bring something more to it that I like even more.
Lindsay
Jun 19, 2007 Lindsay rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Stephen King, or anyone who doesn't like horror (please see review)
"Different Seasons" is a collection of 4 novellas by Stephen King. It is not typical King fare - none of these novellas fall into the "horror" genre that King is so well-known for.
The book starts out with "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption," which is absolutely superb. If you liked the movie, you will like the novella. It's one of King's best non-horror pieces, in my opinion; the film version is also (again, in my opinion) the best adaptation of any of King's work. "Rita Hayworth and th
Stephen
3.o to 3.5 stars. A very good collection of novellas by Stephen King stories. My favorite stories were "Apt Pupil" and "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption."
Melanie
Rita Heyworth and Shawshank Redemption is amazing - it's Shawshank! Though I've got to say I think I prefer the way the ending was reached in the film, though that's probably because I saw the film first (and several times) and so in my head that's the way it's 'supposed' to be. And I think I read the whole thing in Morgan Freeman's voice!

Apt Pupil was completely engrossing and quite chilling. A teenage boy unearths a terrible secret about an old man, and his actions drastically change both thei
Fabian
This one is closer to the EXCELLENT side of the S.K. spectrum (THE GREEN MILE, CARRIE and THE STAND come to mind) than the MEDIOCRE side (INSOMNIA, BAG OF BONES). Yes, these tales are familiar: three of the four seasons have become immortalized on celluloid.

Not until the last Author's Note do his intentions and his themes finally converge. He wrote "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption", "Apt Pupil", "The Body" and "The Breathing Method" as unpublishable novellas right after the completion of
Chantal
Dopo un mese e mezzo l'ho finito alleluia!!!! In generale mi è piaciuto, vengono raccontate quattro storie diverse tra loro e devo essere sincera quella che più mi ha appassionato è stata la seconda! L'ultima era iniziata proprio male ma alla fine è scivolata giù come acqua e devo ammettere che mi sono anche un po' commossa! Non credo leggeró più qualcosa di Stephen King perché l'ho trovato comunque lento e molto troppo descrittivo! Però chissà mai dire mai!
Amber
This was a pretty good collection of stories. I enjoyed all of them except for apt pupil because it was a disturbing and nasty little tale. Definitely check it out though.
Kressel Housman
I hereby take back any snooty thing I’ve ever said about Stephen King. I think he must be one of the most talented writers alive today. What really knocks me out about him is his versatility. His characters all have distinctive voices, and he places them in such different circumstances and plotlines. That impression came through particularly in this book, which is a collection of four novellas. The title is Different Seasons, and that says it all. Each one of these stories is gripping, and each ...more
Stephen King Fans: Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption-DS 16 136 Jun 14, 2015 05:02PM
Which is better? 7 77 Jun 13, 2014 12:15PM
For the love of H...: Different Seasons 9 23 Mar 06, 2014 07:07PM
Which book is better? 2 40 Feb 14, 2014 04:47AM
Reading challenge 11 70 Nov 25, 2013 04:21PM
Like the movie version more 9 65 Oct 13, 2013 04:49PM
  • The Bachman Books
  • Night Visions 5
  • Nightmare At 20,000 Feet: Horror Stories
  • Books of Blood: Volume Six (Books of Blood, #6)
  • Creepshow
  • Strange Wine
  • The Dark Descent (Collection)
  • The Doom That Came to Sarnath and Other Stories
  • Mystery
  • Strange Highways
  • Boy's Life
  • The Dark Tower, Volume 3: Treachery
  • 999: Twenty-nine Original Tales of Horror and Suspense
  • Domain (Rats, #3)
  • You Come When I Call You
More about Stephen King...
The Shining (The Shining, #1) The Stand It Misery Carrie

“Get busy living or get busy dying.” 7588 likes
“there's no harm in hoping for the best as long as you're prepared for the worst.” 551 likes