Start by marking “Born to Spy” as Want to Read:
Born to Spy

Born to Spy

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
When thirteen-year-old Thom’s father goes missing, Thom knows something’s up so he breaks into the basement only to find a spy center full of spy equipment.
With the help of his friend, Danny, and Danny's fifteen-year-old sister, Hilly, the three of them set out to discover what happened to Thom’s father, but their investigation brings them to the attention of a powerful gr
Published December 24th 2010 (first published December 9th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Born to Spy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born to Spy

A Job From Hell by Jayde ScottSupernaturally by Kiersten WhiteOther by Karen KincyWings by Aprilynne PikeDoomed by Jayde Scott
Summer Reading List {2011}
8th out of 111 books — 59 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickBeastly by Alex FlinnThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
What Should I Read in 2011?
192nd out of 567 books — 743 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie
Feb 16, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: boys and girls 8 - 13
Recommended to Julie by: Amazon
My son couldn't stop laughing. I found the story cute and inspiring. Some scenes, like the one in the airplane, are hilarious even to an adult. Hilly was my favourite character, but my son obviously preferred Thom. I hope the writer will write a sequel.
Nick 2E0NAQ
Mar 23, 2011 Nick 2E0NAQ rated it it was amazing
What a group story I was glued to it by every turn of the pages. I was wish that I was Thom Gonzo and his friend god they had some fun.

I would like to thank Jayde Scott for sending me her book to read on my ebook. Thanks and what a great book.
Patricia Puddle
Feb 08, 2011 Patricia Puddle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids aged ten upwards, and adults.
I was looking for a good book for boys and found this great adventure novel about a twelve-year-old boy called Thom. He's the son of a secret agent and when his father doesn't come home for a few days, Thom becomes suspicious and breaks into his father's office. When he finds his dad's mobile phone, he realises something bad must have happened to him, after all, he's a secret agent and would never go anywhere without it. Plus he wouldn't leave Thom at home alone without contact.

Thom, his best fr
CK
May 04, 2011 CK rated it it was amazing
This book will capture the attention and imagination of a wide variety of readers. I guarantee it will have you and your kids laughing out loud. I read it in a few days and LOVED it. Throm's dad has gone missing. After some digging, Throm learns that his dad's top secret mission might've went wrong while he was trying to take down an art thief. What's a twelve year boy supposed to do when being a secret spy runs in his DNA? He engages on `his own action-packed mission' taking on the identity of ...more
Rebecca Graf
May 05, 2012 Rebecca Graf rated it it was ok
I like mystery. I like humor. I like it when it is well put together. When it’s not, a story can be hard to follow. Jayde Scott had a good idea in Born to Spy that just did not grab me.

It is a story of a teenage boy who finds his father has disappeared. In trying to figure out where he is, Thom finds out that his father is a spy. With the help of his best friend and his friend’s sister, these teenagers set out on a wild adventure involving art, guns, and spies.

I found the story a little hard to
Miss Reviewer
Mar 13, 2011 Miss Reviewer rated it it was amazing
I received a copy a while back and put it aside, not expecting much because spy stories have been done before so many times, I doubted the author could come up with anything new and different. My son read it and loved it so much, I had to check it out myself, and I was pleasantly surprised, both with the writing and with the original characters.

To get to the plot:
Thom is a normal 12 year old; he's messy, likes spending time with his best friend, Danny, and doesn't understand a lot about girls. H
Misha
Mar 13, 2011 Misha rated it it was amazing
My 9-year-old is a fussy reader who doesn't like most books I buy. I took a chance on Alex Gonzo, Royal Spy given its cheap price and the great cover and I'm so happy I did. The story's fantastic: three children go on a mission to solve the mystery of a missing spy. But it's how they get there that kept me and my child laughing all the way through. Our favourite character was Hilly, the teenage girl, with diva attitude. I thought it cute how the children worked together and looked out for each o ...more
LouiseC.
Aug 22, 2011 LouiseC. rated it it was amazing
When Thom tries to find his missing father with his best friend and Hilly, he knew he was preparing for the dangerous life of a spy. What he didn't know was that the serious, real-life danger would start the moment they are facing an organisation involved in art theft. Now danger follows them everywhere and Thom no longer knows if he can trust anyone. In Born to Spy, the trio must spy, steal, hack and lie their way to the truth and as they go searching for answers, they find out more than they w ...more
Car
Sep 19, 2012 Car rated it it was ok
A young boy enlists the help of his friend and his friend's sister to find and rescue his father, who is a spy. The story was obviously written by a younger, less experienced person. However, it was still a fun read and easy to get through. I don't think any of my friends would enjoy reading this book though.
Dan Rogers
Mar 11, 2013 Dan Rogers marked it as abandoned
After reading about 1/3 of the book I just couldn't take it anymore. I felt like the story was too contrived and in my mind, unrealistic and unbelievable. With so many good books waiting to be read, there's no sense in my wasting any more time on this one.
Jul 12, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny
Passed it on to my little brother who found it as funny as me. I really liked Danny. He reminded me a bit of my brother and me and by that I'm not saying I have a shopping addiction like Hilly. Really funny book.
Janet Barnes
Feb 22, 2012 Janet Barnes rated it liked it
I downloaded to my Kindle thinking it was a teen book. It's definitely for younger children and not teens. It was too much like the 39 Clues books but not as well written. Sorry. I wanted to like it.
Walter Ramsay
Aug 13, 2011 Walter Ramsay rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend
Loved the detail descriptions
Great plot following a line of mystery and intrigue.
A number of unexpected twists kept me turning the page.
Very nicely done by Jayde
Ak123j
Ak123j marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Zlatco
Zlatco marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Sandy Wells
Sandy Wells rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
linda graham
linda graham marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Xochitl
Xochitl rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2015
Sarrah Deets
Sarrah Deets rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Elle
Elle added it
Dec 29, 2015
Rosefie engelsma
Rosefie engelsma marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Tazzykatt
Tazzykatt marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Cerece
Cerece marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Madeline Friedman
Madeline Friedman marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Amber Hakala
Amber Hakala marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Kali
Kali marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
  • The Mountain of Adventure and The Ship of Adventure: Two Great Adventures
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Graphic Revolve (Graphic Novels))
  • The Secret of Ka
  • أحدب نوتردام
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Blackbird Fly (Bennett Sisters #1)
  • The Academy (Steel Trapp, #2)
  • Last Night Another Soldier
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Princess Callie and the Totally Amazing Talking Tiara (Callie Chronicles, #1)
  • The Brimstone Key (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #1)
  • Priscilla the Great (Priscilla the Great #1)
  • The Stone Child
  • An Awfully Big Adventure
  • Last Snow (Jack McClure, #2)
  • A Time For Change
  • Beach Flirts! 5 Romantic Short Stories (Flirts! Collection,#2)
  • West of the Jordan: A Novel