Start by marking “Androphilia: A Manifesto: Rejecting the Gay Identity, Reclaiming Masculinity” as Want to Read:
Androphilia: A Manifesto: Rejecting the Gay Identity, Reclaiming Masculinity

Androphilia: A Manifesto: Rejecting the Gay Identity, Reclaiming Masculinity

Presenting homosexual desire in men as a sexual fetish or taste rather than a fixed orientation, the author rejects the gay moniker completely and discusses the unique dynamic of sexual desire and brotherly love between adult men.
Published March 1st 2007 by Scapegoat Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Androphilia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Androphilia

Drew
Sep 30, 2011 Drew rated it did not like it
While I agree with Malebranche that gay male identity (masculinity vs effeminacy-as-the-norm in mainstream gay culture) needs to be examined and re-assessed, I could not have imagined a worse person to write about it. Beyond all his hype, beyond his inflammatory rhetoric, Malebanche is simply a bad writer with nothing original to say.

Page after page, he spews opinions and historically-unreferenced generalizations that follow every known pejorative stereotype of gay men. Sometimes, the arguments
Maol Mhuire O'Duinnin
Nov 16, 2011 Maol Mhuire O'Duinnin marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction
I don't think it's fair for me to star this because I only got several pages in.

At first, I thought this guy's argument was intriguing, or maybe more his provocative statements were something I was willing to give a chance if for no other reason than their shock value.

But, I put the book down. And it stayed down.

Despite my desire to prove Malebranche wrong, that I DID give his book a try, I WAS man enough to do it!...I could not.

Alas, I believe I've fallen into his "gay" category, which for Male
Damien
Jul 02, 2007 Damien rated it did not like it
Shelves: queer
As a queer biological male who prefers men slightly on the masculine side of androgynous, I had better hopes for this book. I agree that many homosexual men need to break out of gay mainstream without having to resort to identifying as "straight-acting", but blaming feminists for gay stereotypes seems ludicris. But every time I began to relate to something Malebranche wrote, he would instantly lose me by saying some thing that totally shows that he has no idea what he's talking about.
Vance
Jul 26, 2012 Vance rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vance by: Amazon
When I found this book the title was a little misleading. Then I read the reviews and they were even more misleading. I am obviously not speaking to everyone who reviewed it (negative or otherwise). Please do not take this personal. I really do not know you; you do not know me, but the negative reviews seemed a bit silly, even more so after having read the book myself.

The entire book is one massive opinion piece. The author uses facts and his own experience to clarify and justify his opinion. T
Matthew W
May 30, 2009 Matthew W rated it really liked it
Malebranche's manifesto is basically to encourage your average mainstream gay to grow a pair of balls and act like a man. Instead of being called gay, Malebranche prefers the title "Androphilia."

I read this book for two reasons: The author is a priest in the Church of Satan and he rejects mainstream gay power organizations (which I am against). As a straight male, I found Malebranche's arguments and ideas to be good for the betterment of social relations between straight/gay men. Malebranche bel
Chris Schwartz
May 14, 2008 Chris Schwartz rated it it was amazing
The Homosexual Matrix
Review by Chris Schwartz

Every once in a while a book like this comes along, disputing old assumptions, and challenging readers to reconsider their sense of self and place in the world. At times while reading Androphilia: A Manifesto Rejecting the Gay Identity, Reclaiming Masculinity, I imagined the author—like Morpheus in the first Matrix movie, sporting sunglasses and black leather trench coat—offering his readers a choice between a pink pill and a blue pill.

Enter the gay w
Pablo Roman
So I picked this book up after hearing a radio interview the author gave, discussing his views on same-sex marriage. For the most part I agreed with his views on same sex marriage. I really can't say the same for the views he expresses in this book. I did sympathise with some of his criticisms of modern gay culture as well as the caricature of masculinity, but otherwise the rest just comes across as one angry man's diatribe.
For one he hates feminist and from what I glean women generally (obviou
Shiba Otimista
A antítese do This Book is Gay. Se o This Book is Gay é uma celebração do gay feminino (com muito desprezo aos gays masculinos), o Androphilia é uma celebração do gay masculino, com um "olha vc fica no seu lugar que eu fico no meu" aos femininos.

É importante pros homens que amam homens, mas não se sentem representados pela comunidade, estereótipo e identidade-padrão gay; importante pra quebrar estereótipos sobre homens gays, importante pra falar um pouco de masculinidade e como alcançá-la e até
Aidan
May 04, 2017 Aidan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are parts in this book I do agree with (almost all of it in the first half), but there's also a lot of trash. He generalizes on gay men a lot, and not necessarily with justification, in my opinion. Then the last three chapters are nothing but one long diatribe.

Mr. Donovan has taken it upon himself to speak for a lot of gay men. He claims to know how many are in legitimate relationships, he claims to know what those gay men think of marriage, what they think of gender, whether they prefer m
John B.
Jun 25, 2017 John B. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing and misogynistic.
Michael Kalb
Sep 17, 2012 Michael Kalb rated it it was amazing
I was often asked why I had read this book, especially since I'm a 'white hetro-breeder' and I would think the sub-title would have made it clear. There I go again thinking. For me, part of wanting to read this was what seemed to me the preponderance of weenie-queeny types I kept seeing in the media, yet all my homosexual pals were a "Man's-man" and they preferred Clint Eastwood types over the preening party kind of men. The other part wanted to know how Mr. Jack Donovan (Malabranche, his pen-na ...more
Eddie Black
First half is a Good read

The first part was a breath of fresh air. I loved it. It echoes since of what I've said about the nature of masculinity. Good stuff and anyone wanting to know about such should read.

What I disagree with:
Effeminate = no good. Gay men are under effeminate and lose all ability to get anything done. It's as if women, kind and nurturing and NOT masculine, never promoted science or art or sport. Androphilesc are not to be drag queens, catty and bitchy, and victims, but REAL m
Travis W
Apr 22, 2016 Travis W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't agree with everything Mr. Donovan has to say. Particularly with regard to his issues surrounding marriage (despite it not being something I am interested in for myself). But I will say this. I appreciate his approach to masculinity and share his belief that I have often not seen myself in the more effeminate presentations by many of the LGBTQ community. I never had a problem with these presentations, except when I was criticized as being "self hating" or having internalized homophobia fo ...more
Kyle
Jan 18, 2009 Kyle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: men, men who like men, and men who like manly stuff.
I do not agree with everything Jack Malebranche has to say, but this man deals with man-on-man love in a way that I find very very appealing.

I can't say I've ever struggled with my own sexual identity (things have always been fairly obvious as they have come to me), but I've long struggled with what my choices and instincts in love and sex might mean for my place in the world.

Here the author provides a manifesto (with a whole lot of strongly-worded opinions) for men who love men and manly stuff.
Danny
Jun 27, 2013 Danny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It certainly made me think. The author has his opinions, and these are made very clear. I would have liked to see more historical references to masculine-oriented homosexual men throughout history (i.e., Sparta, samurai, etc.)

Overall, while I understand and agree with the author's overriding point, that gay culture celebrates effeminacy, I find his views on the importance of gay marriage from a political and societal acceptance standpoint to be poorly constructed.
Charlie
Sep 14, 2009 Charlie rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderful counterbalance to our frequently unexamined and almost-always destructive assumptions about what it means to be a member of the gay community. Jack Malebranche is definitely generalizing in a lot of cases, but his ideas are certainly provocative in the best of ways. Read it as an intriguing polemic, not academic scholarship.
Christopher
Sep 28, 2008 Christopher rated it did not like it
Here are a few select great ideas about taking to task feminism and the gay establishment backed up with absurd rightest theory and 'social darwinsim'. I wanted to like this book so bad. I was taken with it initially, but ultimately the positions it takes are ludicrous.

Joshua Fruth
Jun 12, 2016 Joshua Fruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: non-fiction
Finally. Someone else who is willing to break the chains that the 'LGB' community has shackled us with. I recommend this book to anyone that thinks there sexuality might lie outside the norm.
Michael Adam Reale
Dec 23, 2014 Michael Adam Reale rated it did not like it
Jack Malebranche made a few good ointment but his experiences and mine differ greatly. He could have written the same book without being offensive.
Marcus
Marcus rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Ståle Ovenberg
Ståle Ovenberg rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2015
Harry Latham
Harry Latham rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Kevin I. Slaughter
Kevin I. Slaughter rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2008
Nenad
Nenad rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Ali
Ali rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2008
Joseph
Joseph rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2011
Josh Wise
Josh Wise rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Gus
Gus rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Dylan Valdez
Dylan Valdez rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it did not like it
Jan 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Add info 3 13 Sep 26, 2016 11:00AM
Jack Donovan is an American author known for his writing on masculinity and for his criticisms of feminism and gay culture.

Donovan is currently a contributor to AlternativeRight.com, Counter Currents, Radix Journal, and an anti-feminist men's rights blog The Spearhead.
More about Jack Donovan...

“No matter how exotic or seemingly different another man is, there's always some reflection of self in another male.” 1 likes
“If anything has made men more effeminate in the past half-century, it's been the running feminist critique of masculinity.” 1 likes