Start by marking “Androphilia: A Manifesto: Rejecting the Gay Identity, Reclaiming Masculinity” as Want to Read:
Androphilia: A Manifesto: Rejecting the Gay Identity, Reclaiming Masculinity

Androphilia: A Manifesto: Rejecting the Gay Identity, Reclaiming Masculinity

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Presenting homosexual desire in men as a sexual fetish or taste rather than a fixed orientation, the author rejects the gay moniker completely and discusses the unique dynamic of sexual desire and brotherly love between adult men.
Published March 1st 2007 by Scapegoat Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Androphilia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Androphilia

Drew
While I agree with Malebranche that gay male identity (masculinity vs effeminacy-as-the-norm in mainstream gay culture) needs to be examined and re-assessed, I could not have imagined a worse person to write about it. Beyond all his hype, beyond his inflammatory rhetoric, Malebanche is simply a bad writer with nothing original to say.

Page after page, he spews opinions and historically-unreferenced generalizations that follow every known pejorative stereotype of gay men. Sometimes, the arguments
Ren
It reminded me of Sexual Persona by Camille Paglia in that it's scholarship is a bit silly and that it vacillates between being eye rollingly retarded, and completely agreeable. One minute you are like 'yeah that's right on' only to reach the next paragraph and wonder how you ever thought such a thing. Granted, it's a manifesto so a certain degree of the uncompromising is to be expected, most of my gay male friends who read this or heard him read, agreed with the central themes of the book but w ...more
Matthew W
Malebranche's manifesto is basically to encourage your average mainstream gay to grow a pair of balls and act like a man. Instead of being called gay, Malebranche prefers the title "Androphilia."

I read this book for two reasons: The author is a priest in the Church of Satan and he rejects mainstream gay power organizations (which I am against). As a straight male, I found Malebranche's arguments and ideas to be good for the betterment of social relations between straight/gay men. Malebranche bel
Vance
Aug 02, 2012 Vance rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Vance by: Amazon
When I found this book the title was a little misleading. Then I read the reviews and they were even more misleading. I am obviously not speaking to everyone who reviewed it (negative or otherwise). Please do not take this personal. I really do not know you; you do not know me, but the negative reviews seemed a bit silly, even more so after having read the book myself.

The entire book is one massive opinion piece. The author uses facts and his own experience to clarify and justify his opinion. T
Maol Mhuire O'Duinnin
Dec 07, 2011 Maol Mhuire O'Duinnin marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction
I don't think it's fair for me to star this because I only got several pages in.

At first, I thought this guy's argument was intriguing, or maybe more his provocative statements were something I was willing to give a chance if for no other reason than their shock value.

But, I put the book down. And it stayed down.

Despite my desire to prove Malebranche wrong, that I DID give his book a try, I WAS man enough to do it!...I could not.

Alas, I believe I've fallen into his "gay" category, which for Male
Chris Schwartz
The Homosexual Matrix
Review by Chris Schwartz

Every once in a while a book like this comes along, disputing old assumptions, and challenging readers to reconsider their sense of self and place in the world. At times while reading Androphilia: A Manifesto Rejecting the Gay Identity, Reclaiming Masculinity, I imagined the author—like Morpheus in the first Matrix movie, sporting sunglasses and black leather trench coat—offering his readers a choice between a pink pill and a blue pill.

Enter the gay w
Damien
As a queer biological male who prefers men slightly on the masculine side of androgynous, I had better hopes for this book. I agree that many homosexual men need to break out of gay mainstream without having to resort to identifying as "straight-acting", but blaming feminists for gay stereotypes seems ludicris. But every time I began to relate to something Malebranche wrote, he would instantly lose me by saying some thing that totally shows that he has no idea what he's talking about.
Michael Kalb
I was often asked why I had read this book, especially since I'm a 'white hetro-breeder' and I would think the sub-title would have made it clear. There I go again thinking. For me, part of wanting to read this was what seemed to me the preponderance of weenie-queeny types I kept seeing in the media, yet all my homosexual pals were a "Man's-man" and they preferred Clint Eastwood types over the preening party kind of men. The other part wanted to know how Mr. Jack Donovan (Malabranche, his pen-na ...more
Kyle
Jan 18, 2009 Kyle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: men, men who like men, and men who like manly stuff.
I do not agree with everything Jack Malebranche has to say, but this man deals with man-on-man love in a way that I find very very appealing.

I can't say I've ever struggled with my own sexual identity (things have always been fairly obvious as they have come to me), but I've long struggled with what my choices and instincts in love and sex might mean for my place in the world.

Here the author provides a manifesto (with a whole lot of strongly-worded opinions) for men who love men and manly stuff.
Charlie
This book is a wonderful counterbalance to our frequently unexamined and almost-always destructive assumptions about what it means to be a member of the gay community. Jack Malebranche is definitely generalizing in a lot of cases, but his ideas are certainly provocative in the best of ways. Read it as an intriguing polemic, not academic scholarship.
Christopher
Here are a few select great ideas about taking to task feminism and the gay establishment backed up with absurd rightest theory and 'social darwinsim'. I wanted to like this book so bad. I was taken with it initially, but ultimately the positions it takes are ludicrous.

Greg Rothenberger
I believe the premise is sound, although the writing tends to be a little bombastic at times.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the topic.
Michael Adam
Michael Adam marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Joe Antognini
Joe Antognini marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Thorsten Kutner
Thorsten Kutner marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Juan
Juan marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Sisay Deneke
Sisay Deneke marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Ryland
Ryland marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Dominic
Dominic marked it as to-read
May 28, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
May 25, 2013
Chase
Chase marked it as to-read
May 13, 2013
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
May 10, 2013