Start by marking “L'angelo nero” as Want to Read:
L'angelo nero

L'angelo nero

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A classic is back in print! This hypnotic thriller, by one of the originators of the noir form, exposes its heroine to a waking nightmare
In this classic crime novel, a panic-stricken young wife races against time to prove that her convicted husband did not murder his mistress. Writing in first person from the wife's viewpoint, Woolrich evokes her love and anguish and, fin
Paperback, Oscar Mondadori, 266 pages
Published 1991 by Arnoldo Mondadori Editore (first published January 1st 1943)

To ask other readers questions about L'angelo nero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'angelo nero

Dan Schwent
Alberta Murray is convinced her husband is having an affair. Imagine her shock when her husband is arrested for his mistress's murder! Alberta happened upon the crime scene before the police and the only clue is a matchbook with the letter M embossed on the cover. She pilfers the victim's address book and starts going down the M's one by one. Can she find the killer before her husband is executed?

My problems with this book started with the premise. If a woman found out her husband was cheating o
Nathanael Smith
This was my 3rd Cornell Woolrich book to read, and I think I have to say it's been my favorite of his that I have read so far. It's all about a girl who's husband is accused of murdering his mistress and of course doesn't believe he was the guilty party so goes on a venture to discover the real murderer. At first I was a little unsure as to how much I would enjoy it, for one thing the format was told in a different way than I'm used to for a mystery, and on top of that it was all told through th ...more
Ron
A solid, old school noir mystery. Excellent writing, although the dialgue is a bit stilted for the modern ear--but no worse than watching an old b@w movie. The first-person female narrator presents in interesting study for feminist readers/writers.
kelly
Loved the evocation of another era--could even imagine the dialogue being spoken with the crisp elocution of the movie stars from that time period.
Remy
Blackness within darkness, and sequences within sequences, hypnotically Woolrichean. Stunning and amazing, despite a big logic flaw towards the end (why would Alberta investigate the 4th "M" from the victim's address book, once she knew who the monogramed matches belonged to? Makes no sense). But other than that, cool weird interestingness and strangely moving depth. Did I mention the narrative is 1st person from a female's perspective? Awesome. As far as I can tell, this is extremely unusual fo ...more
Gladeana
Jeffrey
Holger Haase
The first two chapters could easily be called "Stand By Your Man".

A cheated wife stands loyally by her husband who is accused of murdering his lover and faces the electric chair. All she can focus on is getting back with him again and proving his innocence.

As ridiculously door mattish as this may sound, these over-the-top declarations of eternal love for someone who probably didn't deserve much better work actually quite well as she is soon being confronted with a range of situations in search o
Tim Schneider
I felt like this was a fairly weak effort from Woolrich. I've taken to giving him a pass on the absurdity of his plots. This one is more than a tad difficult simply from the motivation of the protagonist. Keeping in mind that this was the early 40s, I'm still not sure I buy it.

Again we have heavy coincidence and far-fetched plotting, a Woolrich hallmark. And again the episodic chapter nature of the writing. Generally that is more than made up for in the actual writing and the palpable suspense
Pamela
I am hoping that this isn't one of Woolrich's better books. It wasn't bad, but neither was it very good. Read more like outtakes from other books than a work on its own.
Roberta
Viso d'angelo

E' così che Kirk apostrofa amorevolmente la mogliettina Alberta nell'intimità, viso d'angelo. Quando Kirk viene ingiustamente accusato dell'omicidio della sua amante, Mia, Alberta gli perdona anche il tradimento e fa di tutto per scoprire il vero assassino.
Incurante degli ambienti in cui deve intrufolarsi e dei compromessi a cui deve scendere, Alberta segue una lista di quattro nomi, quattro uomini candidati al ruolo di assassino.

Bellissimo noir d'epoca, Angelo nero è un romanzo go
M.E. May
This is the first novel I've read by Woolrich and I enjoyed it, but like all fiction written in the 1940's and 1950's, it isn't the same fast-paced novel I'm used to reading. I had to keep that in mind as I did struggle from time-to-time and skipped over some rundant portions. I'm sure in 1943 it was a great read for mystery readers. We must keep in mind that investigative forensics at that time consisted of fingerprints and blood type for the most part and read this like a historical novel. At ...more
Belinda
Wow--this is perfection. I have been hunting Cornell Woolrich like the dodo bird and this was the first thing I was able to get my hands on. I am not disappointed--a noir women's adventure--amazing. The main character, Alberta French, is brave, naive, quick to learn, and an all around good egg--but she still gets trapped in the snare that is noir. Beautifully written, exciting and tense and unpredictable. I cannot wait to read more of Woolrich if this is any indication of what I can expect.
Michael
Pretty dated by this time. True noir fanatics will enjoy this book.
Stas
The narrator was getting on my nerves. Perhaps, it is a measure of some slight progress I have been making lately, however haltingly, in breaking out of the obsessional cocoon of my own making, in which I have been sleeping, like a waking dead, lately, finding kinship and consonance with/in these books.
It was too easy to guess who the killer is going to turn out to be. So, I made sure, by skipping to the very end. I will still try another Woolrich, but so far - too melodramatic.
Lee
This is the fourth in the author's so-called "Black Series". Told in first person by Angel Face **her husband's nickname for her**, who is a naive twenty-three year old playing amateur detective, trying to save her husband from the electric chair. She grows up fast, digging around in New York's darkside. Female noir, this go around and Woolrich who they called the "master of psychological suspense", makes me want me to find more of his novels and other noir from the 40's.
Tom Leland
I think this was my 2nd crime novel from that period...might be my last. Just don't think it was THAT easy to continually come in contact with nefarious people. Supposedly more film noir movies adapted from Woolrich's books than of any other writer...but I was only barely caught up in it here and there, mostly just sort of went along with a sort of abstract interest. I can see why such writers (Gardner, Hammett, etc.) were popular...
While her husband is on death-row for murder, a determined wife tries to prove his innocence by ferreting out the real killer. Each chapter, she insinuates herself into the life of another suspect. Each tense step in her investigation could be a separate story; a noir portmanteau.

There is a HUGE plot hole, but I loved the wife's resourcefulness and the overall atmosphere of the story so much that it remains a solid 4 stars.
Andy
May 07, 2008 Andy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Woolrich/noir fans
Shelves: pulp-fiction
Another Cornell Woolrich novel where a woman has to clear her husband from a crime he didn't commit. Sound familiar? It should. "Phantom Lady" was the same book. But it's okay, it's well written and a swell time waster. Just don't expect anything different from Woolrich here.
Andrew
I had a hard time getting into this one. Maybe the premise too unbelievable or the main character wasn't as dark as a I like. A decent read though.
Emily
May 10, 2010 Emily rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
An unbelievable plot is okay in a good mystery. However, an unbelievable plot paired with a completely unbelievable main character is unforgivable.
Emily

What a great piece of lady-centered noir! (in which the lady is the protagonist, not just the femme fatale.)
meeners
mmmm, delicious pulpy goodness.
  • The Burglar
  • In a Lonely Place
  • Heed the Thunder
  • Love's Lovely Counterfeit
  • I Should Have Stayed Home
  • Il labirinto greco
  • Nido vuoto
  • Blue City
Cornell Woolrich is widely regarded as the twentieth century’s finest writer of pure suspense fiction. The author of numerous classic novels and short stories (many of which were turned into classic films) such as Rear Window, The Bride Wore Black, The Night Has a Thousand Eyes, Waltz Into Darkness, and I Married a Dead Man, Woolrich began his career in the 1920s writing mainstream novels that won ...more
More about Cornell Woolrich...
Rendezvous in Black The Bride Wore Black Rear Window I Married a Dead Man Night Has a Thousand Eyes

“It's hard to say goodbye for good at any time or any place. It's harder still to say it through a meshed wire. It crisscrossed his face into little diagonals, gave me only little broken-up molecules of it at a time. It stenciled a cold, rigid frame around every kiss.” 7 likes